The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 February 2018, 05:42 AM   #61
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

fit , finish, and quality are way different criteria.

Rolex fit is on par with anyone.

Finish it is no where near the top

Quality is very subjective. Rolex is basically simple complications and robust movements where as some brands are complex movements with complications. IMO those are not comparable as its just too many variables.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 05:49 AM   #62
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Another nice comparison video.

https://youtu.be/ZT9rvtlk_yc
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 06:31 AM   #63
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPete View Post
Disagree. Lexus should be up there with Mercedes, Porsche and BMW, and Toyota should be with Acura.

The Seiko is a Chevy of some sort....or maybe a Jeep Wrangler..
Lexus makes great cars, no doubt, but even when you fully load them up with every possible option, I don't think you break the $100,000 barrier. A fully loaded BMW M760i will cost close to $200k, and you can spec a Porshe or a Mercedes that will run over $200k. I do agree that Lexus makes a great product though, but they don't have quite the same cachet as BMW, Mercedes, and Porshe.

I think the Toyota / Seiko comparison is pretty good.

Chevy is a Swatch watch.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 06:45 AM   #64
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPete View Post
Disagree. Lexus should be up there with Mercedes, Porsche and BMW, and Toyota should be with Acura.

The Seiko is a Chevy of some sort....or maybe a Jeep Wrangler..
Nah, I've always liked Lexus, but they do not belong with Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche.

Lexus is comparable to Acura. Maybe a bit better.

Lexus and Acura are luxury brands for Toyota and Honda respectively.

The guy shopping for a BMW or Mercedes is usually not comparing them to a Lexus.
Old 17 February 2018, 06:56 AM   #65
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I'll admit when I first saw a Royal Oak and a Nautilus after I'd bought a Rolex and began my personal course in horology I wondered what the fuss was about. Stainless Steel watches with a price tag more obscene than a Rolex, for poncy rich people who want to buy the most expensive wrist watch, they must have platinum taps, mammoth ivory toilet seat etc. I now realise the appreciation of the higher tiers comes later. So I have patience for newbies who bought the Sub and wonder what this Patek Audemars nonsense is all about.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 07:55 AM   #66
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
I respectfully disagree wholeheartedly. I own a number of Rolex as well as AP watches, and many others including Patek Philippe. To keep things simple, my steel Royal Oak feels plain flimsy next to a steel Datejust. Moreover, the movement on the Rolex is much more accurate and dependable.

Brands such as Patek Philippe, AP, etc. are considered at a higher level than Rolex because of their complication watches, marketing, low production numbers (almost a million Rolex vs sixty thousand Patek Philippe) and because Rolex build their movements to be robust, with an “industrial” look which is different than other brands’ movements.

That said, in terms of function, engineering and precision parts, Rolex beats the pants off the more expensive brands. And any Swiss person in the industry will tell you the same.
Thanks for your input as owner of the various brands. Most people are just echoing the general view
Old 18 February 2018, 05:48 AM   #67
rudegar
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40 Pt
I wonder if this debate is about intricacy and the need for handwork to achieve it versus less intricacy allowing more mass manufacturing techniques.

Another question: Do people really think Rolex avoids chamfers due to cost. Much less expensive Omegas have complex chamfers.

I appreciate the delicate manual work apparently present in PP or AP but I also appreciate the precision manufacturing of a Rolex. No small feat to manufacture millions. That’s not marketing. Tesla can market a million Model 3s but they can’t manufacture them.

I’ve thought about a steel RO or Nautilus but when I strap on my DD40 I am satiated
rudegar is offline   Reply With Quote