The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 February 2018, 09:34 AM   #1
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
More new ADs "rules" for sports and limited editions

I forgot to mention when at Tudor in Harrods on Thursday this week,,,,
Once my new warranty card was swiped i was aware whilst i was looking
at the new Tudor box that i noticed the young girl staff member fiddling with the tags,,
they were removed and initially i thought they were removed to enable the bracelet to be sized and when i choose not to have it sized ,,
the young girl who seemed a new staff member? then forgot to put the tags into the box possibly?
after Tudor then asked if it was ok to take a picture of the watch and my Reciept for payment which of course has all the watches info,,,
i think now they may have kept the tags and picture of purchase reciept and watch as another way to stop pieces being flipped asap for profit
and /or finding out who flipped the piece asap for profit,,,
Maybe it was just an oversight from the new staff member? and she just plain forgot to put the tags into box but the picture taken seems to imply they are intent on doing something,,,,
Dont bother me that i dont have the tags and my stickers were not removed for the record,,,,,
thanks for reading,,,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 10:23 AM   #2
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Sounds like an oversight to me. Receipt and tags are important for resale down the road. When I got my Submariner last year, my AD specifically told me to save everything for valuation in the future.
Old 17 February 2018, 04:34 PM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Do you really think that Dealers care if you sell your own watch next week.
Old 17 February 2018, 05:34 PM   #4
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
In the UK they most certainly do. Especially the allocation/waiting list pieces.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 09:51 PM   #5
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Different rules to the game in London but they seem to be getting very p....d off with pieces getting flipped asap,,,,,,
Old 17 February 2018, 10:23 PM   #6
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
In the UK they most certainly do. Especially the allocation/waiting list pieces.
Nail on head Nairn

Just rang Tudor at Harrods and they explained that the tags and the coffins the watch comes in from Switzerland are NO longer being given out at Harrods,,

so no info on the Harrods tudor tags like on Rolex i was told and that by doing this they hope to STOP watches being sold asap from Harrods at least,,,,,

So thats from the "Horses mouth" Larry,,,,,,

Different rules and a sign of things to come maybe,,,,

totally no problems my end if thats the new policy,,v
Old 18 February 2018, 12:16 AM   #7
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
I doubt they care either. At most an uppity stores policy.
Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 12:19 AM   #8
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
I think certain dealers do.yes.

aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 12:42 AM   #9
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Brad ,,

with respect i dont believe this a London " snobby" thing,,,

taking a pic of the piece with the complete reciept next to it tells me

otherwise even if i would have kept said tags,,,,
also not hard to keep an eye on the 160 numbered pieces that all have to be collected in person from Harrods
Old 18 February 2018, 12:54 AM   #10
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I think it’s an oversight!
If that’s true, their next move is to take the movement out of the watch to make sure it cannot be ever sold lol
Old 18 February 2018, 01:17 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Generally it is Rolex that is putting pressure on ADs, ADs are day jobbers and don't care what wealthier people are doing in their private life, but as this is a Harrods own brand they may be interfering more than usual. As more popular brands are going after the grey market, more and more conditions will be imposed at point of sale and this will be the norm soon.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:08 AM   #12
Sprta
"TRF" Member

It would appear that dealers do whatever they feel like. Given the various threads here they pretty much follow their own rules.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:08 AM   #13
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Generally it is Rolex that is putting pressure on ADs, ADs are day jobbers and don't care what wealthier people are doing in their private life, but as this is a Harrods own brand they may be interfering more than usual. As more popular brands are going after the grey market, more and more conditions will be imposed at point of sale and this will be the norm soon.
Thats what i thought Neil,,,,
salespersons dont care and are on to the next customer,,,
but this time,,having to ask for a pic of payment reciept and watch from the customer is something they wouldnt normally do,,,,
No tags [tag features no details] and coffins and a photo of the piece with reciept just before you leave the shop,,,
Old 18 February 2018, 05:00 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaySL350 View Post
Thats what i thought Neil,,,,
salespersons dont care and are on to the next customer,,,
but this time,,having to ask for a pic of payment reciept and watch from the customer is something they wouldnt normally do,,,,
No tags [tag features no details] and coffins and a photo of the piece with reciept just before you leave the shop,,,
Harrods have some extortionate prices on alot of their gear and food so when they see how much resellers can get using their name it must really rankle that they are being out Harrods-ed, so I'm sure they'll make things tough for flippers!
Old 18 February 2018, 05:15 AM   #15
gccmd
"TRF" Member

When I picked up my new 116710 BLNR at the AD yesterday the saleslady removed all the stickers. She said Rolex is starting to track the serial numbers of watches because they want to put a stop to the grey market sellers, especially the BNIB stickered pieces. I never flip my watches and I only purchase what I intend to keep. The AD knows this about me and it’s an important part of the relationship if I’m going to continue wanting to buy some of the more difficult to acquire pieces.
gccmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 05:39 AM   #16
GarageBMW
"TRF" Member

Watch: the step
My dealer would be very pissed if I flipped a watch for profit in a short period. Supply is very tight here and getting a hot piece is a question of relation with the AD. They want to keep their customers happy and it is clear that if I flip a hot piece, they will not hand me another one anytime soon.
GarageBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 06:00 AM   #17
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

My AD also started taking stickers off in store as a policy (though I always did it in past so policy doesn’t matter to me). I’ve never flipped a watch (yet) but I know for sure my AD would be PISSED if they sold me a big model and found out I flipped it in short period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 06:27 AM   #18
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
I wouldn't leave the AD without boxes and tags, nor would I purchase for one who insisted on keeping those. They rightfully belong with the buyer and essentially kill a large chunk of value if you ever decided to sell it on down the road.
bmrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 07:06 AM   #19
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I wouldn't leave the AD without boxes and tags, nor would I purchase for one who insisted on keeping those. They rightfully belong with the buyer and essentially kill a large chunk of value if you ever decided to sell it on down the road.

No boxes taken as far as we know but a cloth tag and a swimpruf tag empty apart from Tudor printed on it was not
a problem for me,,,,
Old 18 February 2018, 07:13 AM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
My ad asks I keep desirable pieces at least 6 months. Seems reasonable to me.
Old 18 February 2018, 08:03 AM   #21
jh225
"TRF" Member

Gonna have to be the devils advocate here.....It’s none of the AD’s nor Rolex’ business if a buyer flips a watch 3 minutes after he obtains it. The AD set a price, the buyer paid said price, and it is now the buyers property to do with as he wishes.

It’s not like Rolex only produces 100 watches a year and needs to control the market. Ford did that with the new GT and got mad when a very limited car was recently flipped for profit. Sorry Ford, none of your business what the owner does with his property.

Personally, if an AD took anything that came from the factory and said they will be keeping it, you may as well cancel the transaction, because I am no longer interested in buying the watch.

Y’all may disagree and that’s just fine, but think about it for a second. If you bought a new Mercedes and the dealer said they were keeping the owners manuals and maintenance booklet, would you say “sure, no problem”?
jh225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 09:26 AM   #22
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I seriously doubt removing stickers and adding names to cards is going to cause any change to the grey market. Maybe I'm less sensitive to the nuances of collecting but I just don't feel it. A new watch with a ticking warranty is the same no matter the status of stickers or tags.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 09:42 AM   #23
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
Gonna have to be the devils advocate here.....It’s none of the AD’s nor Rolex’ business if a buyer flips a watch 3 minutes after he obtains it. The AD set a price, the buyer paid said price, and it is now the buyers property to do with as he wishes.

It’s not like Rolex only produces 100 watches a year and needs to control the market. Ford did that with the new GT and got mad when a very limited car was recently flipped for profit. Sorry Ford, none of your business what the owner does with his property.

Personally, if an AD took anything that came from the factory and said they will be keeping it, you may as well cancel the transaction, because I am no longer interested in buying the watch.

Y’all may disagree and that’s just fine, but think about it for a second. If you bought a new Mercedes and the dealer said they were keeping the owners manuals and maintenance booklet, would you say “sure, no problem”?
Agree. This whole thing has just gotten way out of hand. Glad my collection is complete.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 10:24 AM   #24
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:

Completely agree. I've said it quite similarly in the past.

Once a purchase is made and the item changes hands the owner can do whatever they want to do with it and for whatever reason. To even insinuate anything alternative is completely preposterous.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 12:26 PM   #25
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Absolutely
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 12:38 PM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Shows how bad things are when you've finally broken your 10 year vow of silence for this.
Old 18 February 2018, 01:15 PM   #27
Bartlette
Banned

Sign a contract to buy a Rolex?

If Rolex REALLY wanted to control the grey market they would have every retail purchaser sign a contract that they won't sell or gift a watch for two years. Then, the only way to get it off your hands would be to declare it as stolen . . . Then you are committing fraud.

It will be interesting to see how far Rolex will go.

I'll bet a US court would throw out that contract . . .
Bartlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 01:32 PM   #28
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:

The Mercs and Ford GT's are totally different animals.

The process to be able to get the nominated Ford model was very restrictive and I totally understand Ford's displeasure unless the owner was genuinely un-impressed with it and had a serious case of buyers remorse.
I would imagine the former GT owner will never ever get an invite to the party again.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 01:40 PM   #29
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
I think certain dealers do.yes.

In principal they probably don't care.
But in terms of the potential repercussions they almost certainly do care and gradually, mechanisms are clearly being put in place to manage that more effectively.

In the future there will be less invitations to the best parties as Rolex gather more spotlights to shine on the right individuals.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:14 PM   #30
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
They take the tags and also the plastic box also. These pieces are hard to buy so too many greedy resellers around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote