The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2018, 12:15 AM   #1
KNY
"TRF" Member

RSC service: How nice is nice?

Hello all! So, I just received my 116520 back from RSC yesterday after about 2 months. This is the first time I've ever sent a watch to RSC for service by the way and I agreed to the full spa treatment as I thought it would be worth it for a Daytona. While I'm sure (I hope) that the quality of the movement service was good, I was not impressed with how the watch looked on the outside when I got it back. They asked me to inspect it, but it was full of fingerprints and some kind of light oil it seems. They handed me a polishing cloth, but I didn't want to wipe down the watch and possibly scratch a newly polished watch. I took it home, knowing there's a fresh 2 year warranty and figured I'm sure all is fine.

At home, I immediately gave the watch a nice bath with some Dawn dish soap and got all the greasiness off. I could now really inspect the watch. I must say that the polishing isn't up to snuff with what I would have expected. The brushed areas are uneven, and on the clasp they missed brushing some spots. The polished spots aren't all that polished in some areas. Don't get me wrong, overall the watch looks nice but it's far from being like factory.

My question is this, How nice is nice? I keep hearing that RSC is the pinnacle of service for our believed watches and that the premium is worth it. Am I being OCD or is this what it is? I'll try to get some pics in the daylight.
KNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 12:22 AM   #2
RossHetherington
"TRF" Member

Take it back, but your probably in for another 2 months wait.
RossHetherington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 12:27 AM   #3
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNY View Post
Hello all! So, I just received my 116520 back from RSC yesterday after about 2 months. This is the first time I've ever sent a watch to RSC for service by the way and I agreed to the full spa treatment as I thought it would be worth it for a Daytona. While I'm sure (I hope) that the quality of the movement service was good, I was not impressed with how the watch looked on the outside when I got it back. They asked me to inspect it, but it was full of fingerprints and some kind of light oil it seems. They handed me a polishing cloth, but I didn't want to wipe down the watch and possibly scratch a newly polished watch. I took it home, knowing there's a fresh 2 year warranty and figured I'm sure all is fine.

At home, I immediately gave the watch a nice bath with some Dawn dish soap and got all the greasiness off. I could now really inspect the watch. I must say that the polishing isn't up to snuff with what I would have expected. The brushed areas are uneven, and on the clasp they missed brushing some spots. The polished spots aren't all that polished in some areas. Don't get me wrong, overall the watch looks nice but it's far from being like factory.

My question is this, How nice is nice? I keep hearing that RSC is the pinnacle of service for our believed watches and that the premium is worth it. Am I being OCD or is this what it is? I'll try to get some pics in the daylight.
Your first mistake was polishing the case. Congrats you just ruined the watch.
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 12:27 AM   #4
Jamesw20
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Which RSC? That’s too bad. I’ve been very happy in the past
Jamesw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 12:28 AM   #5
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossHetherington View Post
Take it back, but your probably in for another 2 months wait.

Yup. keep shaving that metal off ruining the original lines of the case!!!

aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 12:39 AM   #6
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
Quote:

Could you be any more dramatic?
Old 18 February 2018, 12:54 AM   #7
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
That’s helpful! it’s not your watch, polishing from a professional during routine service does not ruin a watch.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:10 AM   #8
KNY
"TRF" Member

Okay, so I probably should have known that the anti polishing crew would be jumping all over me on this. The watch will be staying with me, so I'm not too concerned or fussed about it being polished in the hands of RSC. Thanks for your feedback nonetheless, point taken.

Perhaps I'll restate and redirect the question... Those of you who are reading and have had the RSC full treatment, what has your experience been compared to mine? Has the polishing been on par with the original factory finish? I would have also expected that the watch be presented back spotless as a jeweller or AD would do when you go in for an adjustment, etc., not all full of fingerprints. I'm not upset about any of this, just mildly surprised given all the good things and hype about RSC service.
Old 18 February 2018, 02:17 AM   #9
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
I’ve never sent a watch to RSC, but from what I’ve seen on here they should come back looking new. Post some pics so we can see what you are talking about. IMO if you are not happy I would contact them and have them fix it. For what Rolex charges I would want it to be perfect, good luck!

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:38 AM   #10
Juantxo
Banned

Which RSC...??? I have dealt dozens of times with RSC in NYC and Dallas, and Madrid, and my experience has ALWAYS been impeccable.

They handed you a polishing cloth...??? That's extremely strange. They usually give you the watch on a microfiber Rolex cloth. And they would rub the watch themselves. There are only two RSC in the US: Dallas and NYC. Which one was it...? Or are you referring to a RSC somewhere else...?

Very strange story.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:45 AM   #11
dunkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Agree with what most have already said. I wouldn't be happy with anything less that perfect. To the naked eye anyway.

I've never sent anything to the RSC either, but I'd be *really* surprised if they tell you to wait for another 2 months.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
dunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:50 AM   #12
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Horrible reply
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:54 AM   #13
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNY View Post
Okay, so I probably should have known that the anti polishing crew would be jumping all over me on this. The watch will be staying with me, so I'm not too concerned or fussed about it being polished in the hands of RSC. Thanks for your feedback nonetheless, point taken.

Perhaps I'll restate and redirect the question... Those of you who are reading and have had the RSC full treatment, what has your experience been compared to mine? Has the polishing been on par with the original factory finish? I would have also expected that the watch be presented back spotless as a jeweller or AD would do when you go in for an adjustment, etc., not all full of fingerprints. I'm not upset about any of this, just mildly surprised given all the good things and hype about RSC service.
I’ve had similar experiences. Back in 2008 when I knew nothing, I took my SS/PL YM to the Tourneau rolex boutique in the Westfield mall in San Francisco. They lied and said it would be ‘sent to rolex in switzerland’. I’d bought the watch from Tourneau in Manhattan so didn’t think twice about going to them for service. When I got it back it was filthy. I’m not sure it was serviced at all for the $800+. And the mechanism broke a couple years later (it started running half an hour slow in three hours; totally non functional).

Fast forward. To get the watch repaired I took it to an exceptional ad in boulder, Colorado, who I believe sent it to Dallas. Full service and four years later it’s still running great. But, it was not super clean when I got it back. I have faith the service was stellar since at 18 it’s keeping time almost as well as my 7 month-old blnr. But...I wasn’t blown away by the presentation after service either.

And to the polishing troll earlier in the thread, a lot of us buy the watch and keep it. Before this forum, I knew nothing about the potential ups and downs of polishing and have never sent a watch in for service with specific polishing directives. I understand now that it is a legitimate consideration, but my guess is that the vast majority of rolex owners don’t think about it when sending their watches in for service.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:58 AM   #14
arinsd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Wow really...

It’s one thing to take it somewhere that’s not the RSC to have a polish, but if the OP wants the service done it’s personal choice.

I suggest you send it off to another RSC and detail your displeasure. I’m sure they will make it right.
arinsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:07 AM   #15
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I've found services in general to be on the decline. Lower standards are the new norm. OR.....I'm just a grumpy old man.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:27 AM   #16
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Utter rubbish

KNY, which RSC would be interesting to know ?
Old 18 February 2018, 03:43 AM   #17
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
RSC usually does a fine job, but to expect a factory brand new condition is unrealistic.
On the other hand, there are incidents before with RSC made scratches and damages.
In the end of the day modern Rolex watches are made by the thousands, it really does not matter on polish why go CSI on it, just enjoy the watch.
Old 18 February 2018, 03:45 AM   #18
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I've found services in general to be on the decline. Lower standards are the new norm.
Agree. Not impressed with RSC NY or Dallas in recent times. The last great service from NY was my 1665 in 2003. Sent in my 16520 a few years ago and meh.. Not too impressed. Dallas insisted back in 2011 I replace dial, hands and insert on my 16660. Was not given the option to leave older parts in. Switched to RSC in Ormond Beach, FL (now independent). Their service is outstanding. They work with me as far as leaving parts in (unless lume is flaking etc.) to keep the watch as original as possible, as well as leave unpolished, if I request to.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:50 AM   #19
mkmk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What a stupid comment. Perhaps you should keep your opinions to something you actually know. A stupid man kept quiet is often counted as wise.
mkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:51 AM   #20
mkmk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What a stupid reply. Perhaps you should keep your opinions to something you actually know. A stupid man kept quiet is often counted as wise.
mkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:54 AM   #21
colpol
"TRF" Member

Not ideal to spend that money & not be happy with result

I put my SD in for service 12 months ago with RSC but asked for a non cosmetic service I.e. service with no polishing. Even though they said all part of the service - still declined. It’s worthwhile pointing out that you can specify no polishing if the Watch all right.

Got any after pictures ???
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:59 AM   #22
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Where did you send it ??? What RCS is it ????
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 04:24 AM   #23
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
Where did you send it ??? What RCS is it ????

Everybody wants to know!!!

haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 04:30 AM   #24
Juantxo
Banned

Everybody wants to know!!!

[/QUOTE]

Yes, indeed. This story (OP) seems like bs so far.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 04:50 AM   #25
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollee1 View Post
RSC usually does a fine job, but to expect a factory brand new condition is unrealistic.
On the other hand, there are incidents before with RSC made scratches and damages.
In the end of the day modern Rolex watches are made by the thousands, it really does not matter on polish why go CSI on it, just enjoy the watch.
Unrealistic? Are you kidding? For a $600+ service and all the Rolex refinishing equipment? Sorry but the watch SHOULD look brand new. No excuses. If some of the fine independent CW21's can do it, why not the RSC.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 05:28 AM   #26
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
my GMT has been polished by RSC. I actually put it side by side with a new one a week after i got it back at my AD, and there was zero difference.

After many, many polishes then maybe
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 05:39 AM   #27
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
my GMT has been polished by RSC. I actually put it side by side with a new one a week after i got it back at my AD, and there was zero difference.
Sent mine to Dallas RCS at got the same results - Looked Pefect
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 06:03 AM   #28
KNY
"TRF" Member

Here is a picture to show you what I'm looking at. The brushing appears to be a bit coarse and notice how the brushing hasn't caught all the way above the folding part of the clasp. The PCL right above the clasp was polished, but a bit roughly. The PCLs in general are still pretty swirly. Keep in mind that the picture is zoomed in and I've got the light set so it illustrates what I'm talking about. My question isn't one of being upset, it's just seeing if this is the standard or if it should have even nicer. I expected that it would be nicer. Doesn't look factory to me is all I'm saying. I'm not sure if it's poor form to call out the RSC in public, but it was not in the US if that helps.
Old 18 February 2018, 06:12 AM   #29
KNY
"TRF" Member

Yes, indeed. This story (OP) seems like bs so far.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
I'd have imagined that responding within the day is an acceptable timeline.
Old 18 February 2018, 06:16 AM   #30
dob1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Icon9

Maybe I am a bit OCD but after looking at your close-up photo I would also expect the service to be nicer. Looks a bit like an apprentice worked on their first watch, not somebody who has a ton of experience polishing/brushing steel surfaces. Not enough attention to detail for me.
dob1 is offline   Reply With Quote