The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2018, 01:29 PM   #61
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
Well apparently according to the OP Rolex did a crap job.
I get that, I read the thread, you stated polishing a Rolex ruins it. the OP isn't happy with how RSC polished it, I don't think he thinks the watch is ruined because RSC polished.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 01:55 PM   #62
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I brought an 1966 Airking to RSC Beverly Hills. The watch was a “Frankenstein” watch. I found it in a trash can when I was a teenager. The watch I found was completely rusted inside-out, probably the reason it had been thrown away. I found a guy in Paris, my home city, who brought it back to life by finding parts here and there, he could find a used airking dial, so he put an oyster perpetual dial instead... it cost me $100...that was 35 years ago. I decided to give it to my wife, as I never wore it ( I like bigger watches). RCS Beverly Hills did a fantastic job, they completely rebuild the movement with all the correct parts, changed the dial, with an Airking and even let me choose the color, put in new hands,cristal, etc... polished the case, bracelet, etc... the watch came out like new and cost me $800. I was very happy with their service and the staff there was very nice.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:20 PM   #63
KNY
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I've emailed RSC and I'm quite confident that they'll make it right. I'll update the thread with the details and the results.
KNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:23 PM   #64
KNY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
I get that, I read the thread, you stated polishing a Rolex ruins it. the OP isn't happy with how RSC polished it, I don't think he thinks the watch is ruined because RSC polished.
Correct, I do not think the watch is ruined. Far from it in fact. It's just not up to what RSC standard should be, which is why I was checking to gauge others experiences. Thanks again for the replies all!
KNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:34 PM   #65
Bagman
Banned

Watch: Rolex Pepsi
If your not happy call Rolex. They can’t afford to have unhappy customers. They’ve worked too hard to build there name.

Richard B
36mm datejust, Custom Explorer, Pepsi, Hulk, yellow gold dd2
Bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:08 PM   #66
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

It is obvious that you are not happy, I would not be either. Since you e-mail-ed RSC, it is a big deal for you. In relation to not to call out the service center's location - your choice - but you are doing a public disservice to other members. Strangely, you doubt their reputation, yet you are still protecting it, despite the fact that they provided subpar service. Lots of going back and forth...you can not have it both ways.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:35 PM   #67
tonygt3rs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50th Sub & GMT II
I had a disappointing experience with RSC Dallas. My 50th Anniversary Sub was sent to them for service as it was running well over 1 minute fast after 5 days.

I picked it up and while it looked beautiful, I noticed after one week it was actually running even faster.

I took it back to the Rolex Boutique and now it will be gone for another 8 weeks.

There doesn't seem to have been any quality control even though the service booklet claims the watch is calibrated and observed for several days.

I am a Rolex fanatic so it left me feeling very disappointed.

The Rolex shop just didn't seem to care. They stated it would take another 8 weeks to fix something that should have been done while it was away the first 8 weeks.

It seemed it was more of an inconvenience to them that I brought it back. Maybe I should have taken it directly to Beverly Hills.
tonygt3rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:45 PM   #68
RollieRoll
Banned

Quote:
Your first mistake was polishing the case. Congrats you just ruined the watch.
Wow. I wonder how long you will last here! Your attitude is not cool, it's not productive and I don't think it's welcomed. The OP asked a question, but he didn't ask for drama.
RollieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 04:21 PM   #69
dunkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
I brought an 1966 Airking to RSC Beverly Hills. The watch was a “Frankenstein” watch. I found it in a trash can when I was a teenager. The watch I found was completely rusted inside-out, probably the reason it had been thrown away.
"Rusted"??!

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
dunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 04:34 PM   #70
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your first mistake was polishing the case. Congrats you just ruined the watch.

who is this guy? your attitude is awful
Old 18 February 2018, 04:36 PM   #71
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yup. keep shaving that metal off ruining the original lines of the case!!!

another terrible quote

u should apologize to the OP
Old 18 February 2018, 04:41 PM   #72
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You would be shocked to see how many would never polish a case. Ruins a watch. period.

If your keeping it? ok I get it......but are you really?...really?...dont lie...

For sales forums across the board ruined with polished watches.

Hey aqua! Over polishing does not ruin a watch if it is done every 5 years or so when it is being serviced....who made you the polish police? You know so much about polishing but don't know this fact? BTW I choose to not polish any of my watches personally but hey a polish every service is no biggie. You said he ruined his watch, more like you ruined this thread...calm down and enjoy this forum
Old 18 February 2018, 05:26 PM   #73
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Is it hit and miss?
Is it by RSC location?
Or is it different people having different expectations?
Old 18 February 2018, 09:37 PM   #74
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Could you be any more dramatic?

I was thinking along the lines of obnoxious, annoying, and counterproductive!!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 11:12 PM   #75
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

RSC service: How nice is nice?

Without taking sides on the everlasting, ongoing raging debate about polishing - let me add my

“Over polishing” may not ruin a watch - it will still keep time just as well as the watchmaker adjusts it. But an “over polished” watch - whether it is the case, bracelet, bezel, or clasp - does fetch a lower value from a discriminating buyer.

As support for that opinion just look at all the negative comments about watches that have been “over polished”. Also note how much a seller stresses “thick lugs” and “sharp chamfers” in a listing of a watch for sale.

Now I agree that a proper polishing at normal service intervals should not be a problem - as long as it is done by an experienced hand. But consider this: it only takes one mistake on one fateful day for a watchmaker to create a problem.

Just look through the threads for the simplest procedure to be botched - like adjusting a movement to COSC performance. That same watchmaker, who botched that simple job, could make a failed attempt to properly polish the next watch he or she gets on the bench.

So - I must respect those of us who refuse the full RSC spa package - and wish to avoid posting a picture of an “overpolished watch”.

I also respect those who don’t worry too much about the small risk - I opted for full spa treatment on my wife’s heirloom OP that my daughter has inherited after it was wrested from the thief who stole it.

Let the debate continue

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 12:09 AM   #76
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNY View Post
Okay, so I probably should have known that the anti polishing crew would be jumping all over me on this. The watch will be staying with me, so I'm not too concerned or fussed about it being polished in the hands of RSC. Thanks for your feedback nonetheless, point taken.

Perhaps I'll restate and redirect the question... Those of you who are reading and have had the RSC full treatment, what has your experience been compared to mine? Has the polishing been on par with the original factory finish? I would have also expected that the watch be presented back spotless as a jeweller or AD would do when you go in for an adjustment, etc., not all full of fingerprints. I'm not upset about any of this, just mildly surprised given all the good things and hype about RSC service.
I have had my SS sub, TT sub and TT GMT2c serviced at RSC and they came back looking almost new. I say almost because they do a great job IMO trying to avoid over polishing. For example, a nick on a lug was barely visible but it was there. If they had polished it out completely, the lines of the lug would definitely have been altered.
I’d suggest that you enjoy your watch and avoid them to keep fiddling with it.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 06:12 AM   #77
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I wish I knew which RSC the OP sent his watch to. I am considering sending my Sub date in for routine service and based on the picture posted, I would send it somewhere else.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 06:20 AM   #78
kevinsmitha813
"TRF" Member

I say send it back.
kevinsmitha813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 06:22 AM   #79
Ci54
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sky Dweller
In my case, the watch came back like new. The finish was very nice, nothing oily. In fact the bracelet was wrapped in special plastic wrapper that adhered to the bracelet material. I was thoroughly happy with the work quality.
Old 20 February 2018, 06:47 AM   #80
Ripcode
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by datejustrms View Post
I wish I knew which RSC the OP sent his watch to. I am considering sending my Sub date in for routine service and based on the picture posted, I would send it somewhere else.
The OP said the RSC was not in the US. Page 1.
Ripcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 07:07 AM   #81
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcode View Post
The OP said the RSC was not in the US. Page 1.
Thanks, I didn’t catch that.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote