The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 February 2018, 06:05 AM   #1
dob1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Icon12 The first rule in sales when you have to disappoint the customer

... is blaming somebody who is not in the room.

Whenever I read stories about ADs who have specific rules, all of which are of course mandated by Rolex, I wonder how often it is either an in-house policy or you have a salesperson in front of you who is fishing for an excuse. I don't doubt that Rolex has a set of rules in place and they do react on the market dynamics of ADs vs. 2nd hand market dealers, but it is always convenient to defer responsibility.

It's easier to say 'Sorry, we don't even have a waiting list - it might take years to get you the model you want' instead of saying 'Sorry, we don't sell enough volume for Rolex to send us more' or 'You don't look like somebody who drives a Bentley, so I'm not going to give you access to our buffer stash in case we really run out that particular model'.

What would be a really funny experiment is if you have various different people go to an AD, asking for the same watch, and see what they say. All customers with different race, age, gender, and purchase history with that specific AD. I bet the 'new rules from Rolex' would suddenly be different.
dob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 06:50 AM   #2
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Reminds me of the story a few years back where Oprah Winfrey was overseas shopping at a high end store, asked to see a handbag on the top shelf, and the clerk told her she could never afford it..

Sales clerks need to be the same with everyone, but we all know they won’t.
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 07:10 AM   #3
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Well Dan, looks like you have an experimental project ahead...

Make sure they wear tiny spy cams so we can all enjoy the storytelling!

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 07:23 AM   #4
dob1
"TRF" Member

Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Well Dan, looks like you have an experimental project ahead...

Make sure they wear tiny spy cams so we can all enjoy the storytelling!
Great idea

Old 18 February 2018, 07:24 AM   #5
Onlytime
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...it fly
Would certainly be an interesting experiment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Onlytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 07:24 AM   #6
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Just tell them it’s the oracle of truth cyclops

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Old 18 February 2018, 07:49 AM   #7
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
This could be interesting. I think unfortunately we will see a lot of rude and bad salespeople

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 February 2018, 07:51 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Eventual brutal honesty is the main reason why the divorce rate is pushing 60% now So unless you are brutally honest on first dates about who you really are then I don't see why you'd expect it of sales staff you just met. First we try, then we trust.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 07:57 AM   #9
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
I don't even see why we need sales people these days.

You can learn all you want about a watch online.

Rolex should just sell their watches online. I guess that's tres gauche, so maybe they should put them in some sort of fancy vending machines.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 08:18 AM   #10
javert34
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 & 14000M
I do think it would be very interesting to see the result. I have been to places where sales staff has not given me anything more than a passing glance making an assumption that they have nothing I can afford and that I am not worth their time.
javert34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 09:22 AM   #11
run23
"TRF" Member

I’ve definitely been treated differently by the same AD. One holiday weekend while the wife was away and I was in caveman mode (no shaving and questionable hygiene in general), I threw on some old pants, a pair of old Vans, a ripped up t-shirt and a Timex Weekender to see if I could find an Explorer that an AD was supposed to be getting any day. I was kind of blown off and not particularly welcomed and had to twist arms to even be able to touch a watch and was given no info on when they would be getting an Explorer. I wasn’t bothered and thought it was kind of amusing; I looked like I just got out a methadone clinic so I was kind of having fun seeing their reaction.

Earlier that week I had come into the same store after work in my fancy suit with a Sub and was offered a glass of champagne while the sales person was trying to get my contact info for the Explorer they were supposed to get in a couple of days, and I was encouraged to try on an OP to consider instead etc.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 09:48 AM   #12
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by run23 View Post
I’ve definitely been treated differently by the same AD. One holiday weekend while the wife was away and I was in caveman mode (no shaving and questionable hygiene in general), I threw on some old pants, a pair of old Vans, a ripped up t-shirt and a Timex Weekender to see if I could find an Explorer that an AD was supposed to be getting any day. I was kind of blown off and not particularly welcomed and had to twist arms to even be able to touch a watch and was given no info on when they would be getting an Explorer. I wasn’t bothered and thought it was kind of amusing; I looked like I just got out a methadone clinic so I was kind of having fun seeing their reaction.

Earlier that week I had come into the same store after work in my fancy suit with a Sub and was offered a glass of champagne while the sales person was trying to get my contact info for the Explorer they were supposed to get in a couple of days, and I was encouraged to try on an OP to consider instead etc.
You will always be treated differently with a suit on! It's just true. I learned this at an early age. Without a suit, I was just a kid. With a nice suit and tie on everyone was opening doors for me and calling me "sir" lol! We live in a shallow world but that's just the way it is. When you visit an AD without a watch or a cheap watch you just won't get treated the way you will when they see a nice watch on your wrist. The latter signals to them that you are more serious and will potentially spend big bucks today. The former could be a window shopper.
Old 18 February 2018, 09:54 AM   #13
run23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
You will always be treated differently with a suit on! It's just true. I learned this at an early age. Without a suit, I was just a kid. With a nice suit and tie on everyone was opening doors for me and calling me "sir" lol! We live in a shallow world but that's just the way it is. When you visit an AD without a watch or a cheap watch you just won't get treated the way you will when they see a nice watch on your wrist. The latter signals to them that you are more serious and will potentially spend big bucks today. The former could be a window shopper.

Definitely agree. Like I said, I found the whole thing amusing, although with all the tech money out there and how tech millionaires dress (badly), it must be harder for higher end retailers to tell who is legit.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 09:55 AM   #14
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
It's pretty true in any situation where the sales person makes their money from commision. They are naturally going to be selective about who they spend their time on. The last thing they want is to miss out on a sale because they are tied up dealing with someone who isn't serious. Just the way it is.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 10:06 AM   #15
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

This sort of thing happens every day...with watches the dealer keeps in the vault.

If the watch is out of view, the AD can and will discriminate AT WILL.

They need to keep stock for their customers because they have a history and they want them to remain their customers. They won't jeopardize that to appease a stranger off the street..they have limited supply and need to manage it.

If the watch is in the case for all to see, then it is available for all to buy. Not doing so causes the "Oprah" drama and is just bad bad bad..
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 11:34 AM   #16
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
I don't even see why we need sales people these days.

You can learn all you want about a watch online.

Rolex should just sell their watches online. I guess that's tres gauche, so maybe they should put them in some sort of fancy vending machines.
But who'd pour the champagne and scoop the caviar onto my toast points?

Old 18 February 2018, 12:27 PM   #17
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Human salespeople in ADs should be replaced with robots.
They could scan you (including facial recognition for regular customers)
Tell you the hard stuff "Sir does not look like he has the means to purchase the Platinum Daytona - does Sir have a photo of him with his Bentley or certified copy of his Bank account?"
Instantly calculate which models in inventory you would be qualified to buy -
"Sir looks like a TT Datejust".
Inbuilt wireless link to service/security staff - "Bring the client a glass of Moet and a hot towel, NOW!" or "Throw this idiot out right away".

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 01:34 PM   #18
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post
It's pretty true in any situation where the sales person makes their money from commision. They are naturally going to be selective about who they spend their time on. The last thing they want is to miss out on a sale because they are tied up dealing with someone who isn't serious. Just the way it is.
Which is why I always try to let the person know I’m just browsing and don’t intend to buy. I don’t want to waste someone’s time if there are other people in the store. If it’s just me then I’ll usually chat them up and try on different watches.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 01:52 PM   #19
Any4xx
"TRF" Member

Anything we shop for that requires interaction with a salesperson is generally not something that we NEED. Rather, it is something we want. One of my favorite things in life is people-study. So to kill two birds with one stone, it’s always entertaining to me to dress-down for the experience. I’m polite and inquisitive of the salesperson, but it’s up to them to complete the sale. If they choose to treat me poorly because I’m not wearing a suit and tie, so be it. I’ll shop elsewhere. After, of course, politely letting them know why they are not making the sale.
Any4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:29 PM   #20
Cato
Banned

Quote:
But who'd pour the champagne and scoop the caviar onto my toast points?
When I bought my last Rolex from Ben Bridge, I got a bottle of Stater Brother's Water. They offered me a cup of coffee but they had paper cups and powdered cream substitute.
Old 18 February 2018, 03:34 PM   #21
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
What's wrong with these people - When I was working I had a nice coffee set and a good dripolator that I used to drag out just to entertain people who visited me for work meetings. They got quality bean and cream for their coffee. It's not like it is going to send anybody broke.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:38 PM   #22
dob1
"TRF" Member

Icon10

Quote:
When I bought my last Rolex from Ben Bridge, I got a bottle of Stater Brother's Water. They offered me a cup of coffee but they had paper cups and powdered cream substitute.
Life is tough when margins are 40% or higher. Better hold back on the vanilla creamer 😆
Old 18 February 2018, 10:11 PM   #23
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
first rule of some salesmen is to dissapoint the customer

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 11:20 PM   #24
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
With a little bit of life experience and spending some time on the TRF and other Forums we know the answer before you ever go near an AD, car dealer, etc. Don't waste your time and accept the reality of life, you are treated based on how you appear. What you drive or wear or a hundred other tangible signals we send and receive every day. Does it make it right, no. But that is the world we live in. Can't change it and I am always surprised by the exception to the rule. But I live my life understanding how things work, not liking how they work. I believe in profession service and if it is lacking I will address it or leave. I don't get mad or upset, I let my dollars and internet reviews and word of mouth have the effect. I am not aware of a regular manufactured watch that is not readily available from multiple sources. The catch is we don't want to pay the prices the market demands. Is it fair, no. But isn't the fair where you go to ride the ferris wheel and eat cotton candy?
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 11:30 PM   #25
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Oh, the horror!

Let me share an experience...our local GTG organizers went to my nearby AD and said we were going to hold our regular bi-annual lunch gathering. That AD asked to host us as a post-luncheon "dessert & coffee".

They spread out many delectables and held an upscale, white tablecloth hospitality break and also showed the latest Rolex and Omega offerings. That is just one experience of the many that get shared here on TRF.

Old 18 February 2018, 11:50 PM   #26
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Was it Coffeemate or generic?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 12:19 AM   #27
BravoOne
Banned

Had friend who asked me and my girl friend (now my wife), at the time if I wanted go for a ride in a new Lear 35A. He was the western region VP of Sales for Learjet at the time. We were to meet him at Butler Aviation, on the SFO airport. I could see him and another scruffy looking guy standing next to the Lear out on the line, and suspected that the bum he was standing next to, was probably looking for a ride someplace. While not a common practice ,this was not unheard of back in 1978/79, as it was a different word then. At any rate, the scruffy guy walked away and as we approached the airplane, I asked my friend if the guy was looking for a ride?
Na , he owns the airplane and leases it back to Lear jet as a demonstrator was the answer. Turns out it was Nolan Bushnell (Apple Computer). and he had bought he airplane a few months earlier. As my friend said, "when your buying you can look and dress as you please, but when your selling, you need to dress the part". He sold a lot of airplanes to wealthy farmers in California back in those days.
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 08:05 AM   #28
Cato
Banned

Quote:
Oh, the horror!

Let me share an experience...our local GTG organizers went to my nearby AD and said we were going to hold our regular bi-annual lunch gathering. That AD asked to host us as a post-luncheon "dessert & coffee".

They spread out many delectables and held an upscale, white tablecloth hospitality break and also showed the latest Rolex and Omega offerings. That is just one experience of the many that get shared here on TRF.
I don’t think our ADs here in Los Angeles are as posh. We have Ben Bridge, Geary’s, Hing Wah Lee, Bhindi (which I never visited). Ben Bridge is sort of a mall jeweler, HWL lacks in customer service and are focused on Chinese customers , and Geary’s is pretty small and always packed with customers. It’s not like the “watch palaces” I see guys picking up their watches at on YouTube.