The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 June 2007, 01:30 PM   #1
excadet1
"TRF" Member

Purchase Help

I'm new to this forum, but am interested in buying a new SS Submariner with date. This is my first luxury watch purchase, making me extremely inexperienced in the purchase of a Rolex, so I'd like to ask the forum's assistance.

1) What is a fair price for this watch and what should I expect to pay?
2) I've read in the forum that you can purchase in a different state and have the watch sent back to your state tax free? If this is true, does that work in the northeastern US (i.e. buy watch in NY and have shipped to NJ?)
3) Alternatively, can you call an AD in another country (if more favorable pricing) and have shipped to the US
4) I live in Northern NJ, does anyone out there have experience with an AD in this area they would recommend?

Thank you all for your help with this
excadet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2007, 03:15 PM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

Welcome!
In answer to your questions I'm not sure about what can be done in the USA.
Generally, if you can get 10+% off or more you are doing pretty good.
Some guys will be along soon with more informed replies.
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2007, 04:49 PM   #3
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by excadet1 View Post
I'm new to this forum, but am interested in buying a new SS Submariner with date. This is my first luxury watch purchase, making me extremely inexperienced in the purchase of a Rolex, so I'd like to ask the forum's assistance.

1) What is a fair price for this watch and what should I expect to pay?
2) I've read in the forum that you can purchase in a different state and have the watch sent back to your state tax free? If this is true, does that work in the northeastern US (i.e. buy watch in NY and have shipped to NJ?)
3) Alternatively, can you call an AD in another country (if more favorable pricing) and have shipped to the US
4) I live in Northern NJ, does anyone out there have experience with an AD in this area they would recommend?

Thank you all for your help with this
I wish i could help you my friend but i am not from the states cheers
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2007, 10:03 PM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Welcome to the forum

Getting a discount on a sport Rolex may depend on where you are in NJ, high volume dealer vs slow mover, as well as your relationship with the dealer. Yes, if you buy in NY and have it sent to an address in NJ, they should not charge you tax, but you will pay shipping.

Most dealers do not discount the Sub; expect to pay over 5,000 bucks for a new one.

If you have the cojones, you could try a grey market dealer on the web. Search this forum for suggestions on grey market dealers and save a few hundred or more.

Sorry, do not know ADs on the east coast. Here in Las Vegas you do not see discounts on subs often.
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2007, 10:10 PM   #5
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

A very reliable grey market dealer is www.alanfurman.com and www.preownedrolex.com . They are one of the best out there.
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2007, 10:17 PM   #6
spaulhus

Watch: T/T Sub - Blue
I suggest you go down to the Caribbean islands for a long weekend and buy from an AD down there. The money saved on the sales tax and Rolex Caribbean pricing will just about pay for the trip - it's a win-win!

The AD in St. Thomas is A.H. Riise, they offer S/S sub for $4726 - tax free. That's almost $800 less than $5175 + 6%/7% sales tax
spaulhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2007, 01:55 AM   #7
excadet1
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the help. I'm going to find a New York City AD today and wade my way into this purchase process.
Old 1 July 2007, 01:58 AM   #8
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Take a trip to Hong Kong(and Macau are the cheapest I have found, maybe NZ also) and I can help you out. The money you save will pay for your travel and accomodations.

Old 1 July 2007, 02:16 AM   #9
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Same here. Come to Oregon. There is a JetBlue direct flight rom JFK that is reasonable. No sales tax and a discount of 7% on the Sub.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2007, 02:28 AM   #10
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I bought a Rolex TT Sub in Munich a couple of years ago. Wore it home, saved sales tax and VAT and the $ was very strong. Paid 2/3 of the US price. I just called the shop the other day and he was willing to send me another watch with the same savings. Nice to have those contacts. (Sadly, the watch was out of stock). Shipping out of state to save the tax only works if the store you buy it from doesn't have a "branch" in your state. The Caribbean does sound like w "win-win".
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2007, 03:12 AM   #11
excadet1
"TRF" Member

KansaiVet...is the Oregon AD you're referring to in Portland? I travel their periodically for work, and a 7% discount with zero tax sounds like a great deal.