The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 June 2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Watch: 116528
New random serial number with 8 digits

Hi, I just realised my new Daytona has a random serial with 8 digits instead of the usual 7. Is this a new format or have they been around for a while? It came direct from the Kent warehouse this week (it was ordered for me) and I picked it up from my AD today.
Daytona-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I guess Rolex is serious about this random thing.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2013, 07:30 AM   #3
lland
"TRF" Member

Counting the letters as digits, my Explorer II has eight. Purchased December 2012 in PA.

LL
lland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2013, 07:39 AM   #4
SWISSAHOLICS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Yes the latest Random format has 8 total digits including letters and numbers in no particular order.

"The one thing I fear most is time; time waits for no one and leaves no options."
SWISSAHOLICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2013, 07:52 AM   #5
Swift_Movement
Banned

Watch: The Throne
Mine has 8
Swift_Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2013, 08:44 AM   #6
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Wow!!! Talk about clueless!!

Old 2 June 2013, 08:56 AM   #7
gt3pilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: this
All the random serials have 8 characters made up of letters and numbers. They've been out since 2010. They're also still putting out new watches with non random serial numbers which have a letter followed by 6 numbers.Mostly G and some V serial. Also some of the randoms start with letters that have all ready been used and people take a quick look and don't realize it's a random serial.

-Scott B.
Old 2 June 2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt3pilot View Post
All the random serials have 8 characters made up of letters and numbers.
Not true, my SS Daytona had a random serial with 7 digits/characters, not 8 and all of the watches I saw while searching for my YG Daytona had 7 letters (at least 10 watches). Not all the random serials have 8 digits/characters.

The spacing is different too, normally the digits line up with the minute markers, but now they are between the markers confirming that it's different.
Old 2 June 2013, 05:11 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona-Dan View Post
Not true, my SS Daytona had a random serial with 7 digits/characters, not 8 and all of the watches I saw while searching for my YG Daytona had 7 letters (at least 10 watches). Not all the random serials have 8 digits/characters.

The spacing is different too, normally the digits line up with the minute markers, but now they are between the markers confirming that it's different.
If your watch has a single letter first followed by 6 numbers its not a random serial.Yes all serials no matter if they are a total of 6,7 or 8 digits are unique to that particular case.And in just a few years time there will be far more random serial Rolex watches around than any single letter serial since they started back in 1987.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2013, 03:18 AM   #10
gt3pilot
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Dan,

Please, show me a picture of a Rolex watch or warranty card with a random serial with 7 characters(letters and numbers).

-Scott B.
Old 3 June 2013, 03:39 AM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Dan,

Please, show me a picture of a Rolex watch or warranty card with a random serial with 7 characters(letters and numbers).

-Scott B.
Likewise I would like to see it too.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 3 June 2013, 03:41 AM   #12
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Quote:
Dan,

-Scott B.
You know, you have me looking through the FS section and I haven't found one yet, I'm starting to think I never noticed it on my SS Daytona for the whole 2 and a half years I had it. I'm positive it was random but now you have me doubting how many digits it had. Unfortunately I traded it in for my YG one. I think I still have the number written down somewhere...
Old 3 June 2013, 03:50 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
You know, you have me looking through the FS section and I haven't found one yet, I'm starting to think I never notice on my SS Daytona for the whole 2 and a half years I had it. I'm positive it was random but now you have me doubting how many digits it had. Unfortunately I traded it in for my YG one. I think I still have the number written down somewhere...
Well if you did have one and I would doubt if you did, except it was the normal single letter plus 6 numbers, it would be the first one I have ever seen or even heard of.Random serials started appear at the various ADs latter part of 2010 and soon after G serials with 6 numbers started a little later.So we have G plus the so called Randoms running at the same time. And what we can surmise from these two serials is that the cases were stamped sometime between the latter part of 2010 till present time nothing more.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 3 June 2013, 04:05 AM   #14
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Found the number, 8 digits, I'm an idiot
Old 3 June 2013, 04:11 AM   #15
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I figured as much.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2013, 04:22 AM   #16
gt3pilot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Found the number, 8 digits, I'm an idiot
Nah, just a memory lapse !!

-Scott B.
Old 6 June 2013, 03:14 AM   #17
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Sorry to bring this up again, I just can't believe I wore it for 2 and a half years and never noticed it had an extra digit... It wouldn't be so bad but I noticed the digits on my new one were between the markers and not on them which is what made me notice it in the first place. This means I never noticed this on the old one either for all those years...What an idiot...

And I believed it enough to argue my point!
Old 6 June 2013, 03:18 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Sorry to bring this up again, I just can't believe I wore it for 2 and a half years and never noticed it had an extra digit... It wouldn't be so bad but I noticed the digits on my new one were between the markers and not on them which is what made me notice it in the first place. This means I never noticed this on the old one either for all those years...What an idiot...

And I believed it enough to argue my point!
A case serial is just a case serial and every one unique to that particular case but the random serials are a total of 8 digits never have been 7.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 6 June 2013, 05:39 AM   #19
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
What are they going to do when they run out of the >2.8 TRILLION unique combinations?

It will happen sometime in the next 2 or 3 million years...

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 05:53 AM   #20
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Why Why Why all the obsession with all the serial numbers.
This is starting to be a which Rolex is the best investment thread.
Just please relax and enjoy your watch.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 05:53 AM   #21
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Why Why Why all the obsession with all the serial numbers.
This is starting to be a which Rolex is the best investment thread.
Just please relax and enjoy your watch.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 05:57 AM   #22
Daytona-Dan
Banned

I don't think anyone has suggested any serial numbers are better than others? It was mentioned out of interest/news or in my case, idiocy. I honestly thought I had some news. Turns out I'm as blind as a bat.
Old 27 June 2013, 03:24 AM   #23
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

My random S/N 14060M starts with letter "F", which makes you think it's 2003, but it's got engraved rehaut ring and 4-liner (COSC) so can only be random S/N, but makes one think, "Do some randoms start with common start letters making them look like older model? What if my random started with "M" or "V", it would look years older."

Thoughts?
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 03:34 AM   #24
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
My random S/N 14060M starts with letter "F", which makes you think it's 2003, but it's got engraved rehaut ring and 4-liner (COSC) so can only be random S/N, but makes one think, "Do some randoms start with common start letters making them look like older model? What if my random started with "M" or "V", it would look years older."

Thoughts?
Yes, it can start with any letter or number but I doubt you'll find one with a letter followed by 7 numbers, that's surely pretty rare? Either way, it will always have 8 digits which gives it away, the older serials had only 7: One letter and then 6 numbers.

PS: STILL can't believe I never noticed the new serials had 8 digits...
Old 16 February 2016, 02:05 AM   #25
Edamos
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I know it is an old thread but my random GMT starts with a K followed by 7 numbers. So I guess anything is possible.
Edamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2016, 04:36 AM   #26
luxnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 218238
Sorry for Pulling up an old thread back, I have never seen a seven digits scramble serials before, but Just purchased three, day-date II's All has one letter and seven numbers, I was so worried but came with new computerized magnet strip cards. Confirmed through Rolex 5th Avenue - All Good, Relief!!! Another AD told me that those seven digits series are sub releases from the Asian and Middle-east regions. Just want to share the info with you guys.
luxnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2016, 04:49 AM   #27
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxnyc View Post
Sorry for Pulling up an old thread back, I have never seen a seven digits scramble serials before, but Just purchased three, day-date II's All has one letter and seven numbers, I was so worried but came with new computerized magnet strip cards. Confirmed through Rolex 5th Avenue - All Good, Relief!!! Another AD told me that those seven digits series are sub releases from the Asian and Middle-east regions. Just want to share the info with you guys.
it doesn't matter if it starts with a letter or a number if there are 8 total digits it is a random serial number.... Also onto the second point I'm sure other experts will potentially chime in but I think your AD is making stuff up as usual.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote