The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 December 2017, 11:09 AM   #1
Hackman
"TRF" Member

Looking to purchase my first Rolex

Hey Folks

I am in the market to purchase my first Rolex after months of research and narrowing it down between the Panerai Luminor and Rolex GMT BLNR. Well obviously Rolex won because here I am.

I live in San Francisco and checked out a few shops, but they all had me feeling uneasy with its authenticity.

So I came to the forums as it seems to make more sense to buy from vetted sellers on here or am I crazy? Now I maybe wrong but hoping the experts can tell me if I am looking in the right direction.

Interested to hear the community thoughts.

Cheers

Hack
Hackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 11:19 PM   #2
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
Welcome to the forums

While there are a few sellers that I would be more than happy to deal with you still need to be careful, don't assume just because they sell on here everything will be fine.

I know many here will disagree but for me, if you're even slightly what your looking for regarding authenticity and who to purchase from go to an Authorized Dealer. Yes you lose out on potential savings but the peace of mind would more than make up for it.

Good luck

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 01:55 AM   #3
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
The authorized dealers in SF were making you uneasy?
Old 18 December 2017, 02:26 AM   #4
prozac51
"TRF" Member

If they are official ADs listed on the Rolex web, you have nothing to fear. If it's a grey brick and mortar, do Google up on their establishment and look for forum comments and reviews.

Sent from my HTC_2Q4D100 using Tapatalk
prozac51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:36 AM   #5
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
Try HQ Milton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackman View Post
Hey Folks

I am in the market to purchase my first Rolex after months of research and narrowing it down between the Panerai Luminor and Rolex GMT BLNR. Well obviously Rolex won because here I am.

I live in San Francisco and checked out a few shops, but they all had me feeling uneasy with its authenticity.

So I came to the forums as it seems to make more sense to buy from vetted sellers on here or am I crazy? Now I maybe wrong but hoping the experts can tell me if I am looking in the right direction.

Cheers

Hack
Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:40 AM   #6
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
Def visit HQ Milton
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 03:07 AM   #7
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Hey Folks

Cheers

Hack
Shreve and co. is top notch. They’re on post just off union square. They haven’t had a blnr in quite awhile but I lucked out in June by asking (it was in their safe). If Mario is on the floor he’s phenominal. Loves gmts (he wears a beautiful coke version). You do have to ask. Even after four years, they say no blnr lasts more than a day or two and usually hours.

Good luck!

P.S. don’t go anywhere near Tourneau. They know zero about watches and cheated me badly on a botched service — they broke my YM and refused to fix it after lying about it. Over $800 down the drain. They are dishonest cheats.

Last edited by jstan9; 18 December 2017 at 03:10 AM.. Reason: Typos!
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 06:30 AM   #8
Hackman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Welcome to the forums

While there are a few sellers that I would be more than happy to deal with you still need to be careful, don't assume just because they sell on here everything will be fine.

I know many here will disagree but for me, if you're even slightly what your looking for regarding authenticity and who to purchase from go to an Authorized Dealer. Yes you lose out on potential savings but the peace of mind would more than make up for it.

Good luck

Thanks for the feedback this definitely helps seems like its an Authorized dealer it is will try Sherve & Co along with those In Toronto as I am there in two weeks.
Old 19 December 2017, 06:31 AM   #9
Hackman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
The authorized dealers in SF were making you uneasy?
Yea was not the authorized just realized there are only two really authorized based on all the feedback seems like i will end up at Sherve.
Old 20 December 2017, 05:24 AM   #10
es_webdev
"TRF" Member

I also would like to purchase one, but cant decide from where.
es_webdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 10:53 AM   #11
Speed
"TRF" Member

Looking to purchase my first Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Arizona View Post
Try HQ Milton

No. They’re mainly a Vintage dealer.

OP, why are you queasy about Authorized Dealers?

You have Shreve, and the Rolex boutique operated by Turdneau in the City.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 11:23 AM   #12
Tphamnd02
"TRF" Member

First post, but I'm about to purchase my first Rolex which is a Sub Date from an AD. Called the AD, they had a couple in stock and they grabbed a new one in the back to set aside. Negotiated price and will be picking it up tomorrow.

Basically the same cost as what a TS quoted plus I get two additional years of warranty. Surprised it was in stock but happy to be getting from an AD and not stress about authenticity although I know many TS have great reviews.

They also had "Batman" and asked if I could purchase both and maybe get a discount but unfortunately, he called me back later saying it was spoken for or perhaps they didn't want to sell it to me. I guess he saved me a couple of extra bucks!

Good luck in your purchase!
Tphamnd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 11:34 AM   #13
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Hey Folks

Cheers

Hack
welcome!

ok, wat?
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 04:12 AM   #14
Hackman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
No. They’re mainly a Vintage dealer.

OP, why are you queasy about Authorized Dealers?

You have Shreve, and the Rolex boutique operated by Turdneau in the City.
I visited the Rolex boutique and felt a lot more comfortable the manager Ali seems like a very solid guy.

Now do you know if I can purchase from hat Tourney Rolex boutique and still request it be serviced directly from Rolex instead of their service center?

cheers,
Hack
Old 23 December 2017, 12:24 PM   #15
Hackman
"TRF" Member

So I visited Sherve & Co,met a very nice sales person Marietta and also popped in to the Rolex Boutique on Market st in San Francisco and met with Ali.

I always assume good intent from sales folks when I walk into these type of establishments and both experiences were quite pleasant. I was upfront and open with Tourneau about what I have heard and hence my trepidation in purchasing from them given their track record of service. My wife says I was too hard on them, but I think I was just being honest :-)

I typically don't expect sales folks to be experts they are out there to make a living and I tend to obsessively research anything I am going to buy especially when spending this much. Most times its very unlikely they will know more than I do on what I am about to purchase like I said i get obsessed.

I must say I am currently torn between Ali at the Rolex boutique in San Francisco and Marietta at Sherve &Co. At both locations I will have to wait and at Tourneau I need to leave a $2000 deposit to get myself added to the list.

By the way I am buying a GMT Master II BLNR

cheers,

Hack
Old 23 December 2017, 01:25 PM   #16
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
I visited the Rolex boutique and felt a lot more comfortable the manager Ali seems like a very solid guy.

Now do you know if I can purchase from hat Tourney Rolex boutique and still request it be serviced directly from Rolex instead of their service center?

cheers,
Hack
You will have a Rolex 5 year warranty which means it can be serviced by Rolex for any issues that come up in the first five years. There are a few stories of Tourneau telling people they were sending the watch to Rolex but actually servicing it themselves. If you should have an issue, you can send it directly to an RSC and bypass your dealer. So in that respect, there’s really no issue buying from the Tourneau boutique.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 01:51 PM   #17
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Hey Hack! I'm a 5th generation born and raised San Franciscan, so I know the layout pretty well. Don't pigeon-hole yourself to the downtown area...a 30 minute drive in any direction would result in many Authorized Dealers. The Penninsula has several. Kerns in Burlingame is of the highest standards of Rolex. Stanfords AD is amazing as well! The East Bay has several ADs that have wonderful reputations. I believe Rolex has an official list of the ADs and there locations.

Good luck on your hunt, and Merry Christmas!
Old 24 December 2017, 04:21 AM   #18
kd_submariner
"TRF" Member

Shreve & Co in Stanford Mall is great. Talked to a couple salespeople there once and they were very friendly and knowledgeable. Thor was one of them. Also there’s one AD in westfield Valley fair mall in San Jose that did a free sizing for me who was great.

I also purchased my 114060 from Bhindi Jewelers in Newark, who gave me a very fair price. I forgot the salespersons name but he was the only young gentleman who works here
kd_submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 02:03 PM   #19
Hackman
"TRF" Member

Hey folks

Finally got the the BLNR from Sherve & Co I was hoping to get a free watch winder but that really did not work out they said demand is so high many folks would easily take it without a thrown in watch winder.

Ultimately paid MSRP+ tax

Cheers,

Hack