The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 June 2016, 08:31 PM   #31
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Original papers with an original Rolex are always worth a premium to some buyers.

Fakes and forgeries will always be valueless.
Well said Eddie. To me original papers do matter arguments about forgeries notwithstanding. Also when buying a full set buy the seller too. I bought two watches from a collector/friend with boxes and papers. Their resale value is much higher (16710 - 1680) with papers.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2016, 11:31 PM   #32
Pte6000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT & a Jubilee
Yes they sell them on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbiker View Post
Has the warranty card been counterfeit yet?

Just curious. That cross my mind when I was debating buying new or used.

I didn't want to take the risk and bought new.

For my next Rolex, I would evaluate new again. Been doing research on 16613 Black with nato band :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pte6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2016, 02:07 AM   #33
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Original papers with an original Rolex are always worth a premium to some buyers.

Fakes and forgeries will always be valueless.

Maths lesson number 2 for you.

Regards,

Eddie.
Eddie

I used to be the Puchasing Manager of print for the GB Post Office. My main responsibility was buying stamps and these were produced by security printers who were fighting a life long battle against forgers. Everthing made of paper can be forged fairly easily that will fool the average person.

I am now retired and out of the trade, but 10 years ago if you and I were to meet, I could hand you a forged birth certificate, school qualifications, university documents, references on headed paper from any company you would like to claim you had worked for, a marriage certificate and finally a bit of old fashioned paperwork claiming your Rolex is genuine. Also a wad of forged dollars to buy the watch in the first place.

It is truly difficult to produce a good fake of say a 16610 Sub, but it is easily straight forward to forge a 15 year old document. Todays forgers can reproduce them at the drop of a hat. So you could buy a genuine Rolex without papers cheaply and then for a few pennies you can buy a bit of paper that looks genuine and your Rolex has increased by 10-15%. That is why paper work is forged and that is why assuming paperwork is genuine is actually genuinely foolish.

I can understand why you want a full set of papers but if you had done my job for a few weeks, you would soon lose faith in any secure document that is over 5 years of age because forgers have caught up with the original secure printing process.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2016, 03:50 AM   #34
tattooedfagin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red
nice to have but not essential, so long as you're confident in what you're looking at / buying they're only trimmings. If a lack of papers saves me several hundred I'm not going to say 'No'

TRF Hall of Fame
tattooedfagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2016, 04:01 AM   #35
solo-act
"TRF" Member

Around $400-$600 is what I've seen looking casually.

Maybe B&P help (at least psychologically) reinforce a "low mileage" watch, kind a litmus test so to speak. If they took care of the box and papers, then they certainly must've taken care of the watch. From what I've seen that has definable value on the market.
solo-act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2016, 04:23 AM   #36
evlkoala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
I personally do care about having B&P and willing to pay the extra premium to have a complete set. That is just me.
evlkoala is offline   Reply With Quote