The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 31 October 2017, 07:03 AM   #1
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Replaced screw no loctite

Just took a link out of the my LV bracelet and replaced the screw without loctite.

It went in nice and tight. Should I be worried ?

Did this on my sub C and its been ok for last couple of years . .
nigelUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 07:05 AM   #2
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
It should be fine.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 07:07 AM   #3
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I never used loctite. Only had one screw back out slightly when I chose to wear it during a chiropractor session where he took my arm and vibrated the heck out of it. Nothing 2-3 turns with a screwdriver can't fix.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 07:12 AM   #4
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I never used loctite. Only had one screw back out slightly when I chose to wear it during a chiropractor session where he took my arm and vibrated the heck out of it. Nothing 2-3 turns with a screwdriver can't fix.
Thanks

Not planning on any chiropractor activities anytime soon
Old 31 October 2017, 07:15 AM   #5
tommy91
"TRF" Member

I have never used loctite either and never had a problem. I actually hate it when people use loctite as it's such a pain to get the screw out. Obviously some people have had problems hence why they used it, for me never had a problem not using it
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 07:16 AM   #6
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Never use loctite either. Been lucky I guess, I have not lost a screw in 30 years of Rolex wear. I do occasionally check/tighten them.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 07:19 AM   #7
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Thanks for the thread as well as the replies to it.

I have recently bought the screwdriver and loctite to go with it, and did an addition of a link to my GMT oyster once without loctite, and a few days later took it out and added the loctite to it.

Coming from motorcycling world, where every bit and piece of the motorcycle constantly shakes and vibrates, loctite is extremely important part of doing the job right. Glad to know it is not as important here.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 07:24 AM   #8
MaverickMP
"TRF" Member

this is probably bad advice, but I've never used Loctite ever. So far no problems, I check to make sure the screws are not loose once in a while tho
MaverickMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 07:32 AM   #9
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Just keep an eye on it...take a look at the bracelet from time to time to make sure no screws are backing out. You should be fine.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 07:37 AM   #10
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Same here. Never replaced the Loctite when returning screws. No probs. Isn't the use of glue one of the worst horological crimes?
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 07:40 AM   #11
kauffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Rolex uses it from the factory. It's probably good to have in there.

Since Loctite 221 or 222 is so cheap, you might as well just get it and put a tiny dab in there for piece of mind.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 08:31 AM   #12
Forum-Dweller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy91 View Post
I have never used loctite either and never had a problem. I actually hate it when people use loctite as it's such a pain to get the screw out. Obviously some people have had problems hence why they used it, for me never had a problem not using it
Then they're either using the wrong grade of Loctite or too much. I always use Loctite on mine and never have any problems removing it at a moment's notice.
Forum-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 08:34 AM   #13
Colin W
"TRF" Member

Replaced screw no loctite

Never used to use locktite - until recently as had a screw in the bracelet keep undoing itself - locktite 222 prob solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 October 2017, 08:38 AM   #14
OgSnowflake
Banned

The screws on my Daytona from factory were so gunked up with Loctite when I sized the bracelet I just cleaned them so they looked legit freshly milled sharp and screwed them in...just checked them now 4 months later still snug no play whatsoever still tight from July.

And this is where it gets ugly... the only screw to back out on me ....was one from factory that I never touched also heavy on the loctite ...cleaned, no loctite on the re install...snug since.

Just my personal experience I’m sure installed correctly it has benefits but when smeared all over the screws it’s asking for trouble.
OgSnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 09:47 AM   #15
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum-Dweller View Post
Then they're either using the wrong grade of Loctite or too much. I always use Loctite on mine and never have any problems removing it at a moment's notice.
Yes i have only had a problem with one or two watches, they must of used the wrong loctite as With one of them had to heat with a blow torch to get the thing out
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 09:59 AM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelUK View Post
Just took a link out of the my LV bracelet and replaced the screw without loctite.

It went in nice and tight. Should I be worried ?

Did this on my sub C and its been ok for last couple of years . .
Here's the deal..

They are not screws, they are studs. They do not clamp into or onto anything and you should not torque them down "nice and tight".

When you do that you force the stud tapered shoulder (unthreaded portion) into the threaded female portion causing cracks and fractures; there isn't anything to tighten them against and you can split the link or strip the threads if forced and even cause a looser (degraded) fit.

Loctite is used to hold these floating studs in place with minimal torque to keep the integrity of the threads and the thread root stable.

(that is an engineering/design statement. In all likelihood you will be fine for quite some time unless you did damage them.)

Last edited by Tools; 31 October 2017 at 02:46 PM..
Tools is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 10:40 AM   #17
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Here's the deal..

They are not screws, they are studs. They do not clamp into or onto anything and you should not torque them down "nice and tight".

When you do that you force the stud tapered shoulder (unthreaded portion) into the threaded female portion causing cracks and fractures; there isn't anything to tighten them against and you can split the link or strip the threads if forced and even cause a looser (degraded) fit.

Loctite is used to hold these floating studs in place with minimal torque to keep the integrity of the threads and the thread root stable.

(that is engineering/design statement. In all likelihood you will be fine for quite some time unless you did damage them.)

I love learning things- thanks!
To the OP, have never used loctite on any of my rolexes and haven’t had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 10:43 AM   #18
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I had an issue with screws constantly backing out. I used clear nail polish in a pinch. That was a few years ago. Been all good ever since
Old 31 October 2017, 11:02 AM   #19
Seanken
Banned

My two Rolexes had some sort of thread locker from the factory. It was white in color. When i revove and repkace a stud/screw it feels as if there is some spongy grabby stuff in there.
Seanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 03:42 PM   #20
bob78h
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
I guess Loctite isn't necessary if you check your bracelet screws once in a while. But I've definitely heard of people noticing the screws backing out on their own. I'd rather not take that chance -- a small bottle of Loctite 222 is like $10 and it only takes a dab when replacing a screw. 222 is low strength and doesn't make it any harder to remove in the future. I did once go to a watchmaker who used some higher strength Loctite that required heating with a lighter to get off and that was a huge PITA.
bob78h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 04:42 PM   #21
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

What Larry said is true. When you tighten a bolt or fastener and put a torque on it, you are in effect stretching the bolt and it acts like a spring. The force, called pre-load, acts to prevent the fastener or nut from backing out. Thread locker or other mechanical aids like heli-coils are used in high reliability uses or where the environment might loosen the threads. Once the pre-load is gone the fastener is no longer functioning and the clamping force is gone, even if the fastener is still there.

The bracelet studs do not have a pre-load. The only thing holding them in place is the thread locker, or if you have screwed them in so tightly that you have a mechanical interference where the threads on the stud have been jammed into the threaded hole in the bracelet.

When you remove the stud there will be a small amount of thread locker in the hole and in the threads. They do not use the type that hardens, so when you re-insert the stud back in the same hole there is normally some thread locker left to do the job.

As you wear the bracelet the studs rotate inside the links and that can loosen the stud. Hopefully you notice it protruding before it comes out.

I use a tiny amount of purple locktite and apply it to the hole with a toothpick. You don't want to put it on the threads because you will smear it all the way through the link. When I remove a stud I put a little heat on the link to make it easier to get the stud out and not muck up the screw slot. Oh and use a hollow ground screwdriver.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 09:39 PM   #22
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here's the deal..

(that is an engineering/design statement. In all likelihood you will be fine for quite some time unless you did damage them.)
Thanks for the info Larry
Old 1 November 2017, 04:39 AM   #23
OgSnowflake
Banned

Lot of good info in here
OgSnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 04:58 AM   #24
Santiago79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner a
don't worry about it, you should be good
Santiago79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 05:12 AM   #25
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Here's the deal..

They are not screws, they are studs. They do not clamp into or onto anything and you should not torque them down "nice and tight"...
A while ago when I mentioned taking a watch to my AD to get it sized, a member here snidely commented "righty tighty, lefty loosey." This implied that there is no reason to let someone else do the sizing work on a bracelet. For me this makes little to no sense. There are multiple things required to do the job correctly, imho. 1) appropriate jig to hold the watch correctly, 2) in the absence of the former, good steady hands, 3) correctly beveled and sized screw driver, 4) appropriate locklite, and 5) heat source for loosening the previously used locktite, and finally 6) experience or willingness to allow the watch to be damaged while gaining the former. Stopping by my ad which was a five minute drive from wear I picked up my FedEx shipment and getting it done for free just seems like such a better choice than "Righty Tighty." Somethings are better done by those with experience.

Larry, thanks for your post!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 05:20 AM   #26
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
A while ago when I mentioned taking a watch to my AD to get it sized, a member here snidely commented "righty tighty, lefty loosey." This implied that there is no reason to let someone else do the sizing work on a bracelet. For me this makes little to no sense. There are multiple things required to do the job correctly, imho. 1) appropriate jig to hold the watch correctly, 2) in the absence of the former, good steady hands, 3) correctly beveled and sized screw driver, 4) appropriate locklite, and 5) heat source for loosening the previously used locktite, and finally 6) experience or willingness to allow the watch to be damaged while gaining the former. Stopping by my ad which was a five minute drive from wear I picked up my FedEx shipment and getting it done for free just seems like such a better choice than "Righty Tighty." Somethings are better done by those with experience.

Larry, thanks for your post!!!
I've only encountered 1 screw that required excessive force taking it out (corrosion on vintage).....and I've resized a lot of bracelets by now.....it really isn't that difficult with the proper tool (you only need a nice hollow ground screwdriver)...if you go slow and steady, even if you slip a little bit it's not going to scratch the watch. If by chance you really do get stuck with a screw/stud overfilled with loctite or just simply shut in from corrosion like I had.....I'd take the watch to a watchmaker and have them go @ it. From all the reports and how I've seen local ADs resize bracelets.....that'd be the last place I'd ever have resize my bracelets.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 05:39 AM   #27
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
The watch is now useless. Please send to me for disposal.
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 06:11 AM   #28
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
...If by chance you really do get stuck with a screw/stud overfilled with loctite or just simply shut in from corrosion like I had.....I'd take the watch to a watchmaker and have them go @ it. From all the reports and how I've seen local ADs resize bracelets.....that'd be the last place I'd ever have resize my bracelets.
The people I use seem pretty competent. It always helps to have access to talent. For me it's just so much easier and less anxiety ridden.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 09:26 AM   #29
mschafer
"TRF" Member

I usually keep my time tool on whatever I do. Once in a while the screw just above the Clasp comes loose and blocks the opening. Out comes the leatherman to screw it back in. And eveytime I’m thinking about locktite. Then again I love the fact taking my leatherman to repair a tool watch. Weird...
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote