The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 December 2017, 05:02 PM   #1
persianstallion
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Looking for advice on Pre-owned Women's Rolex DateJust

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums, so please excuse my ignorance, if this question has been answered somewhere, or if there is a reference post about it I should read first. Any guidance is appreciated.

I am brand new to Rolex. Looking to buy a pre-owned ladies DateJust as a Christmas present for my girlfriend, who has been eyeing them on eBay and other sites such as TrueFacet.

Based on my initial research, there is what I have decided on so far:
- Rolex DateJust model# 69173 any year with Quickset date function, as long as it is in excellent condition and recently serviced/authenticated by a reputable vendor with money-back guarantee.
- Rolex original case, bezel, Sapphire and band/bracelet
- She strongly prefers the 2tone 18k yellow gold & stainless steel Jubilee band, and a lighter (white / cream) dial color.

I am seeing a few options on eBay, where the dial has been refinished with custom added diamonds, which are obviously not Rolex factory original. Some are called MOP (Mother of Pearls). Do these modifications affect the quality and resale value of the watch? Should I stick to all factory original for highest resale value? They look really nice, but I am not sure whether it's a good idea or not.

Also, please let me know if you have any thoughts on the value of different dial colors, such as Champagne, Tapestry, etc.

I am looking to spend $2000-3000 on a pre-owned model. Any other thoughts or insights you can share with me regarding purchasing this Rolex model would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!
persianstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 01:23 AM   #2
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Welcome to TRF!

Allow me to recommend buying only from TRF. You may find a good deal on ebay but OTOH it's filled with scams.

Start by looking looking here:
https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Since you're in San Diego, you could also visit the big jewelry building downtown. There are at least a dozen stores selling Rolex and you'll find a great selection. The building is also home to D's time service, they can no doubt tell you whether the watch is authentic. And you can take your GF shopping with you.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 01:25 AM   #3
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Welcome to TRF!

Allow me to recommend buying only from TRF. You may find a good deal on ebay but OTOH it's filled with scams.

Start by looking looking here:
https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Since you're in San Diego, you could also visit the big jewelry building downtown. There are at least a dozen stores selling Rolex and you'll find a great selection. The building is also home to D's time service, they can no doubt tell you whether the watch is authentic. And you can take your GF shopping with you.
TRF is by no means worry free; check out B&S Who's Who and research sellers before buying. The same can be done on ebay using feedback as a guide.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 09:30 AM   #4
persianstallion
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the feedback and great suggestions!

I agree, I wouldn't buy from eBay (or any online source for that matter) without fully checking their history and reviews, and making sure there is a solid return guarantee, so I can have the watch checked out and confirm its authenticity.

I do have some specific questions though:

- Should I stick to factory original only, or also consider modified models, especially the ones with added diamonds to the dial?
- Specifically to the Ladies DateJust model, are there any do's and don't's or thinks to "watch" out for?

Thanks again.
persianstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 10:49 AM   #5
treylxapi47
"TRF" Member

In the same boat myself so following this thread!
treylxapi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 04:00 PM   #6
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by persianstallion View Post
Thank you for the feedback and great suggestions!

I agree, I wouldn't buy from eBay (or any online source for that matter) without fully checking their history and reviews, and making sure there is a solid return guarantee, so I can have the watch checked out and confirm its authenticity.

I do have some specific questions though:

- Should I stick to factory original only, or also consider modified models, especially the ones with added diamonds to the dial?
- Specifically to the Ladies DateJust model, are there any do's and don't's or thinks to "watch" out for?

Thanks again.
- IMO factory only
- If buying used, look for a stretched bracelet. There will be safe queens that will be like new but I wouldn't go for something that has a loose bracelet. It's a gift so likely you want something LNIB.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 04:14 PM   #7
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

It is for your girlfriend so it really matters how she feels about aftermarket upgrades.

For me I would want factory original and i don't mind if the watch has been heavily used.

Conversely, my wife probably wouldn't care much about factory original or not but would want it to feel new.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote