The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 December 2017, 12:46 PM   #1
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

6202 Turn-O-Graph Estate Find

A local jewelry store just acquired this 6202 Turn-O-Graph with a Honeycomb dial. I really don't know anything about this model and have read as much as I can on this forum and through an internet search. It is a good looking piece (in photos as I haven't seen it in person yet). I am posting some pics that the jeweler provided and would really appreciate any information regarding authenticity and originality. If the consensus is that it is a nice original piece and worth pursuing, I will see it in person tomorrow and get some more pics.
https://imgur.com/a/IDEg1
bradleyt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 12:49 PM   #2
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
red dot insert, with the copper showing through on the bezel is a good sign, case looks fine, and the wear to the hands seems consistent with age. just need someone with better knowledge to weigh in on the dial.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 12:53 PM   #3
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

I can't see any outline on the hour plots. It may just be the photo quality, but all the pics I've seen online show the lume outlined with gold markers or some sort of gilt outline.
Old 13 December 2017, 12:56 PM   #4
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Nice split word dial, but shouldnt the lollipop be at the end of the second hand on those? Im sure an expert will chime in
Old 13 December 2017, 01:13 PM   #5
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Wow, that's an awesome find if it's real!
Old 13 December 2017, 01:32 PM   #6
vintagewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sport 4digit ref#
Bracelet looks correct for time period, riveted Oyster stretch bracelet. Serial number on the case looks like to be in the 900k range which is also period correct mid 1950s.
Best of Luck!
vintagewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 09:48 PM   #7
Mark020
"TRF" Member

What is the asking price?
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 10:39 PM   #8
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

Asking $12,500. I am trying to determine if the dial is original and if so, don't know what a fair value is....anyone?
Old 14 December 2017, 12:13 AM   #9
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Jump on it!!!
Old 14 December 2017, 12:17 AM   #10
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
6202 usually have the date stamped inside case back. The textured, waffle dial should have "swiss" at bottom. The split wording dial is very nice but you need close ups to be sure not re finished. If it is all correct seems like a good deal, If anything wrong like dial, its a parts valuation.
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 04:57 AM   #11
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all who looked at this and provided feedback. I also received some pm's which is very much appreciated. While the watch looks cool, it seems there are indeed some "aftermarket" parts. It has been suggested by one expert that the dial and bezel are "fake". I don't know if that means aftermarket or later service parts, but either way, it is enough information for me to lose interest. I have learned so much from this forum and am very thankful for all the advice. I have narrowly dodged many potential landmines thanks to this forum. Thanks again!
Old 14 December 2017, 10:42 AM   #12
Paul
"TRF" Member

Some variations with 6202's ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchcrank View Post
6202 usually have the date stamped inside case back. The textured, waffle dial should have "swiss" at bottom. The split wording dial is very nice but you need close ups to be sure not re finished. If it is all correct seems like a good deal, If anything wrong like dial, its a parts valuation.
Despite the low production numbers, we see a few variations on 6202 Submariners. For case-backs stampings, that includes ......

* '6202' .... accompanied by a date code ( I.54 seems to be quite common, a batch produced around then perhaps )

* '6202' ... accompanied by a date code .... with the number '18' printed beneath the date code. The significance of the '18' was explained on VRF in the past and if the search engine ever returns to Network54, I'll know again what it means.

* '6202' ... with no date code and a stamping of the number '6' . Once again the '6' stamping will have some significance.

Asking prices for complete 6202s jump around a bit too. We see reasonable examples of correct, complete watches, with price tags ranging from $15k - $50k. And on the rare occassions when a loose 6202 dial pops up, they seem to run at about $12k (yes, just for a dial) and it's a similar price tag now for a well-preserved 6202 insert.

For the watch shown by Brad, the parts would all need careful scrutiny by someone who really knows their onions. $12500 is a great price if we are seeing a complete, correct watch, with the bracelet on its own having some real value if it's date-code correct for the watch. But if the dial or insert (in particular) are after-market, the value of the watch simply plummets.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 11:51 PM   #13
Efrashhi
"TRF" Member

When you are referring to "aftermarket" dials are you talking about dials produced by a manufacturer other than Rolex? Or are you talking about a dial that was replaced at a servicing by Rolex? I know that replacement dials can greatly impact value but I am confused if the question on this particular watch is if it is a genuine Rolex replacement dial, the original genuine Rolex dial, or a dial made by a manufacturer other than Rolex?

I apologize if this is a stupid question but I am new to vintage rolex and am trying to learn as much as I can.
Efrashhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 09:58 AM   #14
watch-guy.com
Banned

The master has spoken!!

Listen to EK '

J
watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 10:48 AM   #15
Autavian
"TRF" Member

Bad dial, and insert. Only value there is the case and movt. I would pass.

Email:Autaviano@gmail.com
Autavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 11:53 AM   #16
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all that replied. I appreciate all the advice. The expert has, indeed, chimed in and confirmed that the dial and insert are fake. Thank you Eric Ku.