The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 January 2021, 01:55 PM   #1
kip595
"TRF" Member

A Question So Simple...I have no idea what the answer is!

This has been picking at my brain ever since an acquaintance asked me - yes, this is sort of 'asking for a friend', but especially after realizing I had no idea what the answer is, it's gotten stuck in my own head:

What was the final/most recent Steel ONLY ref produced?

The scenario is he does not wear gold for religious reasons (his private business, that's all I got; several gold and tu-tones are in my own collection) - but was heartbroken to realize his relatively new OP had white gold on the indices/hands, so, knowing I tend to go for the older stuff, he asked me the above question. And despite all my reading about the history and what happened when, I can't for the life of me remember or for that matter find the answer!

I want to say it was the Precisions of the 1980s that were the final hurrah of steel case-hands-markers...but some foggy memory that just won't come to the surface keeps telling me that's incorrect.

If only to satisfy my own curiosity at this point, the more knowledgeable vintage guys out there (of which there are many!) are welcome and invited to correct my knowledge!

Thanks guys, as always! :)

Last edited by kip595; 14 January 2021 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Typos
kip595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 02:10 PM   #2
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Interesting question, but we need to clarify the parameters to get the answer.

Do you mean the model (e.g., DateJust, Submariner, Daytona) or the reference number (e.g., 5513, 1601)?
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 02:15 PM   #3
kip595
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Interesting question, but we need to clarify the parameters to get the answer.

Do you mean the model (e.g., DateJust, Submariner, Daytona) or the model reference number (e.g., 5513, 1601)?
Excellent point; I should have clarified that - personally I'm asking which ref. number specifically, if anyone knows.

I feel like it was the 6694 or similar, but something keeps nagging at me about that answer...
Old 14 January 2021, 08:33 PM   #4
Woody
"TRF" Member

They introduced white gold surrounds on the dial of the 5513 in 1984 (approx)....I think that model is likely to be the last of the sports models that were produced without any gold.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 09:16 PM   #5
Amazing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
They introduced white gold surrounds on the dial of the 5513 in 1984 (approx)....I think that model is likely to be the last of the sports models that were produced without any gold.
Are there any precious metals in the movement?

OP, are jewels also an issue? If so, I think that rules out almost everything due to jewels in the movement.
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 09:48 PM   #6
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post

OP, are jewels also an issue? If so, I think that rules out almost everything due to jewels in the movement.
Looks like he needs to get a G-Shock to be safe then!
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 11:28 PM   #7
kip595
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post

Hah; I never would have even thought of that! I think for him it's just having gold as 'ornamentation' jewelry so to speak so I would assume gold used internally isn't an issue.

My own curiosity was basically just what was the last ref made available w/o the use of gold as part of the design and instead purely steel. It seems like one of those random little 'quirky facts' I read somewhere ages ago, but hell if I can find where!

A late 70s/early 80s 5513 sounds about right for a sports model, now that someone's mentioned it. The more I think about it, the more logical the 6694 seems for the final ref in general, since it was phased out not too many years after '84.

Just one of those odd, seemingly simple questions that isn't - but hey, it keeps the hobby fun and interesting! :)
Old 14 January 2021, 11:40 PM   #8
OliverD
"TRF" Member

What about the 1016? Produced through until 89 I think.
OliverD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 11:52 PM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Isn't the dial furniture gold-plated on older references also? His safest bet would be to choose a model that doesn't have applied markers at all.
Old 15 January 2021, 12:01 AM   #10
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
If your friend is Muslim the prohibition seems to be on gold ornamentation rather than elemental gold content; any gold leaf or chatons on the movement could be argued to be there for technical reasons. Jewels in watches aren't gem-quality and are there to make the movement work, not to show off, so should be fine. The verse in question is about men not being allowed to pretty themselves up with gold jewellery like women are...I'm not sure the WG used in hands and indices are a definite no-no, I thought they did that because you sometimes get corrosion on those parts otherwise. And Muslims are allowed to use gold items if the gold is being used for its material qualities like that (back in the day you could get a gold tooth filling because it was the best option, and not haram).
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 04:09 AM   #11
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Doesn't the modern Explorer II (216570) have black-colored surrounds on the hour markers? There's no indication that's gold under the black paint. Does this count?

What about the Milgauss 1019 made up until 1989?
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:35 AM   #12
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
If your friend is Muslim the prohibition seems to be on gold ornamentation rather than elemental gold content; any gold leaf or chatons on the movement could be argued to be there for technical reasons. Jewels in watches aren't gem-quality and are there to make the movement work, not to show off, so should be fine. The verse in question is about men not being allowed to pretty themselves up with gold jewellery like women are...I'm not sure the WG used in hands and indices are a definite no-no, I thought they did that because you sometimes get corrosion on those parts otherwise. And Muslims are allowed to use gold items if the gold is being used for its material qualities like that (back in the day you could get a gold tooth filling because it was the best option, and not haram).
Exactly, WG is used because it doesn't tarnish.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:58 AM   #13
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
If it is for just being gold, he can't use any electronics since there is plenty of gold in integrated circuits.

I suspect it is for the bling reason, but the hands being gold is for a practical reason as other already said, it doesn't tarnish.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 06:13 AM   #14
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

What about a 1655? Those were produced into the 80s and have white / orange hands. I don't know whether they contain any gold or not.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 02:34 PM   #15
kip595
"TRF" Member

Some great info, as always guys, and thanks!

As to his preference, I honestly have no idea what it comes from - possibly the Muslim custom mentioned above? I understand what you're saying - my own curiosity simply became; what was the last/most recent Rolex offered in plain old stainless, w/o gold used anywhere on the dial/case/hands. As to that...i think the Explorer II 216570 might be what I was trying to remember - shall do some research!