The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 September 2017, 03:41 AM   #31
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Are hesalite and Sapphire crystals interchangeable?
Nope...maybe some custom solutions out there though.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 05:38 AM   #32
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Thanks for that.

Do you know if the Apollo 11, 40th anniversary model has hesalite or Sapphire crystal?
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 03:50 PM   #33
Aspirin
"TRF" Member

Go for Hesalite if true to original, otherwise Sapphire will not make you down.
Aspirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 11:25 PM   #34
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
I like the hesalite crystal. The way the light bends into a crescent on the dial from a shallow angle is something that sapphire cannot match.
Old 16 September 2017, 01:56 AM   #35
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for that.

Do you know if the Apollo 11, 40th anniversary model has hesalite or Sapphire crystal?
https://www.omegawatches.com/watches...1162423006001/

Sapphire crystal.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 10:17 PM   #36
uzona
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41s blk and whit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirin View Post
Go for Hesalite if true to original, otherwise Sapphire will not make you down.
Word, also love the tiny Omega symbol right in the center of lens.
uzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 11:51 PM   #37
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Sorry, I meant the 2009 SS version. I think they are hesalite but I'm getting conflicting information.
Old 26 November 2017, 08:38 PM   #38
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quick update!

I finally got around to buying a Hesalite moon watch.

I suspect that the time it's taken for me to get one tells a storey in itself.

VERY soon after getting it I realised that it wasn't for me unfortunately. I'd decided to buy the bracelet version, but have it fitted with the Silver Snoopy strap and clasp. Unfortunately it didn't feel right to me so I returned the watch.

This is the first watch I've bought and returned or sold. I'm pleased that I tried it, but as I have said above, I think because it took me so long to buy it, my heart was probably not in it as much as it should have been.

Time to move on, but thanks very much for the replies to my questions.
Old 27 November 2017, 05:23 AM   #39
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Quick update!

VERY soon after getting it I realised that it wasn't for me unfortunately. I'd decided to buy the bracelet version, but have it fitted with the Silver Snoopy strap and clasp. Unfortunately it didn't feel right to me so I returned the watch.

This is the first watch I've bought and returned or sold. I'm pleased that I tried it, but as I have said above, I think because it took me so long to buy it, my heart was probably not in it as much as it should have been.

Nothing wrong with that. Hope you didn’t take too much of a hit. FWIW I bought a hesalite speedy and while I liked it it didn’t blow my socks off. Since then I’ve had a CK2998 and subsequently a FOIS which I love and has a very different feel to the moonwatch. That certainly won’t be going anywhere. If you are still in the mood for a speedy, maybe try one of them.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2017, 05:32 AM   #40
Lode_Runner
Banned

Quote:
Quick update!

Yeah, don't feel bad. My suspicion is that, like me, you may be among the very small minority of people who just doesn't bond with the Speedmaster line. I've owned Speedmasters before, including the same hesalite moon watch/bracelet model that you briefly owned. A lot of people will tell you, over and over, that the Speedmaster moon watch is one of the greatest watches ever made.

And in truth, it is. But personally, I've wanted to love them, I tried to love them, but it just didn't happen. I forced myself to wear it for a couple of weeks straight, but every day, I wanted to wear something else. So today I own six Omegas, including two Planet Oceans, a DeVille Hour Vision, a Constellation Globemaster, an Aqua Terra, and an Omega Dynamic III (36mm). But no Speedmasters!

You might me like me, someone who's brain is just wired a little differently, lacking in the gene that makes us appreciate the Speedmaster.
Lode_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2017, 11:13 AM   #41
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

before I bought the Moonwatch, along the way I was distracted to Rolex

it took me 7 years before I finally bought myself a Moonwatch
CKL1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2017, 01:24 PM   #42
tng11
"TRF" Member

I picked the Hesalite this weekend. Didn't like the milky ring on the sapphire crystal. Also prefer a solid caseback on this one, as the movement really isn't anything to write home about.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 07:27 AM   #43
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lode_Runner View Post
Yeah, don't feel bad. My suspicion is that, like me, you may be among the very small minority of people who just doesn't bond with the Speedmaster line. I've owned Speedmasters before, including the same hesalite moon watch/bracelet model that you briefly owned. A lot of people will tell you, over and over, that the Speedmaster moon watch is one of the greatest watches ever made.

And in truth, it is. But personally, I've wanted to love them, I tried to love them, but it just didn't happen. I forced myself to wear it for a couple of weeks straight, but every day, I wanted to wear something else. So today I own six Omegas, including two Planet Oceans, a DeVille Hour Vision, a Constellation Globemaster, an Aqua Terra, and an Omega Dynamic III (36mm). But no Speedmasters!

You might me like me, someone who's brain is just wired a little differently, lacking in the gene that makes us appreciate the Speedmaster.

It's unfortunate because I already have an Apollo / Soyuz meteorite dial version of the watch which I really like.

I wanted a watch which is very clear and easy to read at a glance and I thought that the Moon watch would offer this. Between ordering a new one and picking it up, I wore my Submariners for a while and realised that they offered the same as what I thought I was looking for in the Omega. I also found that I preferred to wear the Subs over the Speedmaster on the strap as I had intended to wear it. I was surprised how thick the deployment clasp was when fitted with the Silver Snoopy strap. The ends of the strap overlap and there is also the metal clasp in between so there are three layers and it sat too high for me. I was fortunate that the AD allowed me to return the watch for a total refund so I haven't lost on the watch, and my wife now has a spare clasp for her Silver Snoopy!

I have found that it's best not to dwell on past mistakes, better to just quickly move on to the next one, so goodby Moon watch, I hope you find a good home.