The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 16 November 2017, 01:47 AM   #1
Sir Larry Wildman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, FPJ, IWC
Possible Mark XVIII Trade - Opinions

All - I have an IWC Mark XVIII . It was a recent, pre-owned pick up from a friend unloading it, and it's entered my daily wearer rotation along with with my Speedy Pro.

Another buddy has been asking to buy it from me since I bought it; would pay me what I paid for it. Originally I was just going to sell it to him for cash, but recently I've learned that I really like having two daily wearers in the lower single digit price range. I wear both very freely - alot more freely than my APs or FPJs - going to the pub, concerts, traveling, etc.

I have a few options, though, that I am considering. Would love to hear your thoughts on them, or any other thoughts you may have. Pictures found on internet.

Keep IWC Mark XVIII - I do really like the watch; classic, clean, legible, functional, and I got it for a great price.

Sell for Heuer Autavia - This is one of those watches that when I look at it, I get excited. I already have a Speedy Pro, so I don't "need" another classic chrono, but from pictures, I think this watch is just so handsome. The larger dimensions might actually be good for me, as I have gorilla wrists. Still, even though it shouldn't bother me, I am a bit turned off by Tag's image - sold in Macys, too many boutiques and billboards, a bit over-saturated.

Sell for Longines Heritage 1945 - Talk about handsome, I love this watch. I love the salmon dial, suede strap and it screams retro cool. I originally got into Omega because my grandfather had one; well my grandmother always wore a Longines. The price point on this would allow me to bank some of that cash I would sell the IWC for.

As always, any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, gents!
Sir Larry Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 02:27 AM   #2
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Keep the IWC. Buy a Seiko or Orient to quench your thirst for a new watch.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 05:43 AM   #3
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Definitely keep the Mark XVIII. It’s perfect for what you need, and hey, you already own it!

If you really must sell it, that Autavia is awesome. I’ve tried it on a few times and I love it. That would be my choice if I felt compelled to sell the IWC.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 04:38 PM   #4
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
If you really must sell it, that Autavia is awesome. I’ve tried it on a few times and I love it. That would be my choice
Absolutely, Beautiful watch! I simply tried on the Heuer Autavia reverse panda dial fitted with the shimmering bracelet 3 days ago at the TH boutique (The clasp will potentially develop scratches very easily though ).Must say I'm very impressed with the 2017 Autavia which commands great wrist presence, the size is a non issue really. In Malaysia, at USD 48++ , it's a freakin' bargain. If you decide on the reader's choice Autovia , I suggest that you postpone your purchase until you have tried on the limited edition panda silver dial Jack Heuer 85 Autavia ( Coming Soon next month I've been told ) For USD 52xx , that's another Bang for your Buck!

All website photos of the JH85 Autavia are actually depicting a pre production prototype so don't make any conclusions yet. TH is going to address a few of the criticisms of the 2017 Autavia and make some cosmetic corrections to the dial
✓ Shorter 1 minute markers on the minuterie scale of the chapter ring
✓ At the 3 o'clock totalizer , the 2.5 minutes intervals will be replaced with 1 minute intervals
Pre production prototypePost correction. Can you spot the changes?Oh Yeah ! It's Jack Heuer's Birthday tomorrow
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 05:08 PM   #5
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Wow, this is tough. The Heuer's gorgeous but I love that IWC too. I would say keep the IWC because you already have the Speedy.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 11:30 PM   #6
Sir Larry Wildman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, FPJ, IWC
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
TH is going to address a few of the criticisms of the 2017 Autavia and make some cosmetic corrections to the dial
✓ Shorter 1 minute markers on the minuterie scale of the chapter ring
✓ At the 3 o'clock totalizer , the 2.5 minutes intervals will be replaced with 1 minute intervals
Do you know if they'll be making these changes to the "normal" Autavia, too?

Agree the new LE is a beautiful watch!!
Sir Larry Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 11:57 PM   #7
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Larry Wildman View Post
Do you know if they'll be making these changes to the "normal" Autavia, too?

I'm afraid NOT in the first batch production this year anyway where the minute intervals will remain at 2.5 . The TH boutique in my city is already offering its newest Baselworld 2017 models incl the non LE Autovia on the leather and rice beads bracelet but the 3 o'clock subdial clearly registers 2.5 minutes intervals. The JH85 Autovia expected next month will show 1 minute intervals. Some buyers won't mind but lots of readers I know aren't exactly thrilled at the Autovia's 2.5 minutes interval
Old 17 November 2017, 11:19 PM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Stay put! IWC fits the bill. That longines is gorgeous though
Old 18 November 2017, 12:33 AM   #9
tfjordan
"TRF" Member

Possible Mark XVIII Trade - Opinions

Ive had the IWC Mark XVIII Petit Prince blue dial for six months and couldn’t be happier. IWC quality is incredible. I never even considered a pilot watch until this one came along and thought the plain dial would be boring. Quite the opposite. I find it a little mesmerizing because there are zero distractions. The old adage about “simple, yet elegant” certainly applies here.

I almost bought the Huerer Heritage chrono several days ago on a whim. I wasn’t turned of by the brand at all for two reasons: 1. It’s Huerer branded, and, 2. In-house movement. Not bad. I also wasn’t thrilled by the 42mm size. Why Huerer, Hamilton (Intramatic 68), and Longines went with 42 for their chrono heritage models baffles me. 40mm would be perfect for these models giving respect for “heritage”, even though some of the originals are a tad smaller than 40 even. Does no one do focus groups anymore? The size is the only controversy with these models, the main consideration from purists, and IMO the only reason they’re not flying off shelves and backordered. I struggled mightily staying away from the Intramatic 68 because it’s not only gorgeous, it’s a great price point. Even a 40mm is pushing it when you have edge-to-edge dial with a thin bezel. I decided to stick with my vintage BWC Valjoux reverse panda with a very similar aesthetic but a more reasonable proportion at 37mm (it wears more like a 39ish due to shape).

I’m giddy I didn’t buy the Autavia because I picked up a hard to come by Zenith El Primero 1969 a couple days ago. Quite frankly, I’d almost given up getting one in 38mm after searching for a year, missing a few second hand on forums by minutes, and enduring an 11 week wait after “purchasing” one (“air quotes”) from gray market dealer (trust me guys - don’t waste your time. They don’t have them and can’t get them). So here’s my pics of the scratching of my itches for the time being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omega Speedmaster 145.014
Tudor BB Blue
tfjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 04:09 PM   #10
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Larry Wildman View Post
I've got something to show you Sir.There are only a few JH LE timepieces that arrived at the Malaysian shores yesterday and this is one of them! It's about RM 20K or US $5 K after a discount Check out the 3 o'clock totalizer.TH has corrected the flaw.It's now 1 minute interval between markers...
Old 11 December 2017, 12:47 AM   #11
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
I've got something to show you Sir.There are only a few JH LE timepieces that arrived at the Malaysian shores yesterday and this is one of them! It's about RM 20K or US $5 K after a discount Check out the 3 o'clock totalizer.TH has corrected the flaw.It's now 1 minute interval between markers...
Very cool. Why oh why couldn't they have made it 40mm?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 02:47 AM   #12
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'd keep that IWC and add the bracelet, which is so comfy and good-looking.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 08:03 AM   #13
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
Keep the Autavia. Wish I still had my Viceroy
Old 11 December 2017, 11:33 AM   #14
karmatp
"TRF" Member

The Mark XVIII is a great daily watch. Super comfy on the wrist and looks great. I have owned many IWC's and loved them all. I asked Santa for a Mark XVIII this year, blue dial though. I had Mark XVII and sold it like I always do for funds for something else I had to have, now I want another. Fingers crossed until Xmas.
Old 11 December 2017, 03:45 PM   #15
Star Ferry
Banned

in my opinion

IWC -- keep it. It sounds like you've bonded with it.

Autavia -- If you don't identify with the TAG brand and are not proud to associate with it, then it's not worth dropping $5000 on this.

Longines -- May be worth adding. Should be attainable for less than $1500 from an AD
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 05:26 PM   #16
meganfox17
Banned

I'll just Jam-Pack your thread with the JH85 Autavia LE No 49*/1932 photos snapped today, one of only 5 LE timepieces allocated to Malaysia ( Actually there are 1933 not 1932 pieces, Jack Heuer has the number 0/1932, 01/1932 will be auctioned off for charity )
Believe it or not but the watch actually wears smaller than its 42 mm size suggest and I was told that Cal Heuer 02 is not COSC certified with an accuracy rate of between -10 sec--> +15 sec. Of course any competant watchmaker can regulate the watch to within COSC specs if required...
Old 25 December 2017, 04:16 PM   #17
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
So? What happened? And a vote for the IWC if it's not too late.
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote