The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 1 December 2017, 07:54 PM   #1
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Dangerous9 Incomings

Before I start, be warned that this post might be very unhealthy for your bank accounts!

Following the acquisition of my 737 in August this year, I started jonesing for another strap. The brown Teju lizard that John Glance at Dangerous9 crafted for me is a work of art so the logical thing to do was get in touch and see what else he could do.

From the great feedback I had from you guys on the colour combinations of my Panerai OEM straps, particularly on my 689 and 737, I decided to go for another Teju lizard but this time in racing tan. Whist we have to be careful considering colours seen on a computer monitor (they can vary significantly between brands), I thought that the racing tan was the colour to go for; some of you said that the Panerai OEM JV gold took the eye away from the dials of the 689 and 737 and I could see where you were coming from. The racing tan therefore seemed perfect in that it was a similar shade to the JV but nowhere near as shouty.

Back in late August and early September then, I exchanged many emails with John working out what I wanted and how to go about it and finally placed my order. I then had an email from John at the end of October, about six weeks earlier than I thought, saying that my straps were ready and I should contact his colleague Andrea to arrange delivery. Ruud Van Deja vu again! Exactly the same as last year in that I was on my way home to the UK and without Panerai tools! How anyone can have two deja vu encounters like that in two successive years is beyond me (my 533/689 and a strap with no tools in 2016 and my 533/737 and two straps with no tools in 2017! ).

Back to the straps and I eventually settled on the Teju in racing tan but this time I avoided the thick curved lug system (TCLS) and just opted for the padding at the lugs. I went for vintage ecru linen (super fine stitching), double keepers (one sewn and one floating) and a polished, screw-in buckle of the pre-V style. The lining is Australian kangaroo in motorcycle chocolate; this material is fantastic in this climate because of the moisture resistance.

The finished product is amazing and I love it. He’s done a typically awesome job. It fits the watch perfectly and I’m pleasantly surprised by the polished buckle. It ties in beautifully with the polished case of the 689. The racing tan colour suits the 689 spot on with a beautiful contrast that doesn’t distract from THAT dial but complements it in a very subtle way.

On a side note, it’s quite annoying how much Panerai charge for an OEM buckle when John charges only €15!

Whilst I was talking with John, I also asked about the Swiss ammo pouches. I only asked out of curiosity having seen the brilliant thread by Traveller (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=264534) and thought that maybe I’d go for an ammo strap next year or something. How wrong was young Ruud! John sent me a link so I had a good old look and came across an ‘ancient’ pouch, which dated back to 1926. I locked in on it straight away because the name embossed in the leather is so close to my real name that it’s damn spooky. That pouch was mine! On this one, I kept it simple and went for the padding at the lugs, vintaged ecru French linen (this is hand saddle-stitched) with the necessary breaks to avoid interfering with the stampings. To complete the vintage look that I want, the buckle is another screw-in pre-V type but this one has a PVD finish. John worked his magic on it and the strap is astonishing. I don’t know about you guys but to me it looks incredible on the 737 and turns an already amazing watch into a vintage masterpiece. Also included was a spare keeper and a superb key fob from the same pouch.

Also included with straps now are felt pouches to store the straps in.

So there you have it. The results are a work of master craftsmanship in wearable art. John might not be German but his work most certainly is. The straps have that Teutonic quality that scream that they’ll last forever. Same reason I tend to buy German cars, I guess.

I have nothing but praise for John and his work. When working with him though, you do need to be a little patient. As has been said by others on here before, me included, John is never going to set a world record for the fastest time in turning straps around. Whilst mine were done in eight weeks this time, which might well be a record , his normal turnaround time is in the region of 12 weeks. However, this sort of work is never going to be done overnight. Believe me when I tell you though, it is well worth the wait. I have no clue what I want next but I know for sure who’s going to be building it. Mr Glance, I salute you!

Anyhoo, enough of my waffling, here’s some pics below of John’s latest masterpieces. I’ll post some more later of them on my 359.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 07:58 PM   #2
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Ok, here’s the Teju on my 689.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 1 December 2017, 08:04 PM   #3
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

And the Swiss Ammo on my 737

Old 1 December 2017, 08:14 PM   #4
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

And here’s the two together
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E933A634-E990-4895-A232-A4BBE6FB4E2B.jpeg (289.8 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpeg C7124500-F82F-4DD9-9B69-E8A0B768E9C2.jpeg (277.0 KB, 428 views)

Old 1 December 2017, 08:33 PM   #5
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Fantastic Panerai collection and wicked straps!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 08:54 PM   #6
Betta01
"TRF" Member

That stamp on the brown straps disfigures it..
But that's just my opinion..no offence.
The Chronograph is lovely!!

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
Betta01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 09:06 PM   #7
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

I’m thinking that the Teju works really well on the 737 too. That strap seems to work extremely wel with the gold hands without dominating the watch. When I have a bit more time on my hands, I’ll try this combo again but I’ll switch the buckles. I’m not sure about the polished buckle with the brushed titanium case.

Also, a couple of shots of my 359 wearing both straps. This is what I love about the 359, it’ll work with anything you throw at it. Amazing piece!

Old 1 December 2017, 09:08 PM   #8
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

They look bloody awful. Might as well send watches and straps to me immediately!!!
Old 1 December 2017, 09:13 PM   #9
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta01 View Post
That stamp on the brown straps disfigures it..
But that's just my opinion..no offence.
The Chronograph is lovely!!

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. No offence taken

Panerai is a brand steeped in history. The stamp you mention is of the name of the person to whom the pouch was issued; a real soldier carrying a real ammo pouch loaded with real ammo in 1926. That gives a strap with real history. There's not many straps for which that can be said.

Old 1 December 2017, 09:15 PM   #10
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
They look bloody awful. Might as well send watches and straps to me immediately!!!
Dream on, China!

Old 1 December 2017, 10:21 PM   #11
WatchObsess
"TRF" Member

Beautiful thank you for sharing! Looking at the pictures, reinforce my will to consolidate my collection. The straps are solid! Congrats!

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
WatchObsess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 10:24 PM   #12
nick c
Banned

Good to see you back! The straps looking amazing, they fit perfectly
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 10:50 PM   #13
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Good to see you back! The straps looking amazing, they fit perfectly
Thanks, mate. Been away on a three week vacation and then a short job in Spain before getting back to Singapore last night.

Whilst we were away, Mrs Van D banned me from TRF. She said the members here needed a rest

Old 1 December 2017, 11:22 PM   #14
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Thanks, mate. Been away on a three week vacation and then a short job in Spain before getting back to Singapore last night.

Whilst we were away, Mrs Van D banned me from TRF. She said the members here needed a rest

good to see you back brother.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 11:57 PM   #15
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I was wondering where you disappeared to for so long....now I know! You were drafting that incoming.

All kidding aside, good to have you back, and, WOW, great straps that fit your watches PERFECTLY. John is a master....but, you chose very well, too.

Hmmmmm....Teju....... ;-)
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 02:34 AM   #16
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Ahhhhhh very nice Paul! They look stunning especially the Swiss ammo, the colour on that one is very special indeed.
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 07:31 AM   #17
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Absolutely fantastic straps and the way they compliment the watches is near perfection! Most excellent taste good sir!!
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 10:45 AM   #18
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchObsess View Post
Beautiful thank you for sharing! Looking at the pictures, reinforce my will to consolidate my collection. The straps are solid! Congrats!

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
Thank you kindly. They really are works of art and I'm extremely happy with them , as you might have guessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I was wondering where you disappeared to for so long....now I know! You were drafting that incoming.

All kidding aside, good to have you back, and, WOW, great straps that fit your watches PERFECTLY. John is a master....but, you chose very well, too.

Hmmmmm....Teju....... ;-)
I was Ruud Banned Driver on Mrs Van D's orders!

Looking back on my OP, I guess I did waffle on a bit but I tend to do that when I get excited about something (as you might have noticed in the past ).

Teju is the one to have. It's a great skin and very unique. Croc and 'gator skins, whilst not exactly the most common material, are around in various forms such as wallets, bags, shoes, belts, etc. How many Teju skins have you seen? Do it my friend, you won't regret it, I guarantee you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Ahhhhhh very nice Paul! They look stunning especially the Swiss ammo, the colour on that one is very special indeed.
Cheers, Mo. A Swiss ammo would look awesome on your 422. #justsayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
Absolutely fantastic straps and the way they compliment the watches is near perfection! Most excellent taste good sir!!
Thank you kindly, sir

Old 2 December 2017, 09:51 PM   #19
cstar
"TRF" Member

Lovely collection, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 11:13 PM   #20
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The straps look great and you own two cool watches.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 11:18 PM   #21
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

Beautiful straps. I do particularly like the lizard. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 12:19 AM   #22
aperna
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
watches and strapes are spectacular!!!
aperna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 01:50 AM   #23
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Very nice
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 01:59 AM   #24
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Thanks for sharing, Paul. Love the straps, the PAMs not so much. But that's just my opinion.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 02:05 AM   #25
Kevin.S
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Impressive collection , I would work by a sunny window....just to stare at those dials!
Kevin.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 04:48 AM   #26
jed11
"TRF" Member

Great duo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 06:18 AM   #27
MrTito
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, JLC Deep Sea
Absolutely love that Teju and the 689. Well jel'
MrTito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 07:12 AM   #28
phalen302
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Very cool straps and pieces.
phalen302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 07:49 AM   #29
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Oh la la Paul, those straps completely change the look of those Panerai, simply stunning. I remember a while back when you were thinking about this. Glad you went through with it. That lizard one suits both special edition watches really well. But on the 737, I think I would have a hard time taking that one off!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 05:04 PM   #30
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstar View Post
Lovely collection, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
The straps look great and you own two cool watches.
Cheers, William

Three cool watches actually, but I guess you're not counting my 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick8moses View Post
Beautiful straps. I do particularly like the lizard. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Thank you.

I have two lizards from John and as well as the unique appearance, they look spectacular in the flesh. Very comfortable too. Not cheap but worth every penny/cent

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperna View Post
watches and strapes are spectacular!!!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urosfan View Post
Very nice
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Thanks for sharing, Paul. Love the straps, the PAMs not so much. But that's just my opinion.
Ed, Ed, Ed! We need to have us a real heavy conversation over a beer or two and a tray of PAMs in front of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.S View Post
Impressive collection , I would work by a sunny window....just to stare at those dials!
They're an incredible distraction, trust me. Makes me very glad that we drive on the proper side of the road in the UK and that I wear my watches on my left wrist. If I were to drive a left hooker wearing one of these, I could see myself having problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed11 View Post
Great duo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another one that's missed my 359!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTito View Post
Absolutely love that Teju and the 689. Well jel'
Proper jelly, eh Geezer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalen302 View Post
Very cool straps and pieces.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Oh la la Paul, those straps completely change the look of those Panerai, simply stunning. I remember a while back when you were thinking about this. Glad you went through with it. That lizard one suits both special edition watches really well. But on the 737, I think I would have a hard time taking that one off!
Cheers Nick

I'm glad I took the time to canvass opinion on here a couple of months back with all the various strap combinations, gave me some great insight on what worked, what didn't and helped me make my mind up on what I wanted. As much as I love the OEM JV, I can see how it distracts from the dials of the 689 and 737. That'll change over time as the strap develops its patina but the racing tan Teju is a sight to behold; I think we go this one bang on the money. So much so that I'm going to take a few more shots in the sun