The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 January 2024, 06:43 AM   #1
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Best offload strategy to obtain a different watch

Good afternoon TRF.

I am interested in acquiring a Rolex 16710 (Coke).

What I would like to do is sell my Omega SMP 300M diver.

Essentially, I have a different diver and I have more Omega references, namely Speedmasters, so I am good with the brand.

I have never dealt with any of the trusted sellers on here, but I am wondering how the process would work if I were to offer this watch as part of a deal to acquire one of these references.

I assume it would be best to sell this watch privately, although I am seeing that it may be tough, price dependent, of course.

So if anyone has any experience or thoughts on the matter, I would love to hear it. What would you do in order to make this happen?

Pros and cons of each method?

Thanks
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 06:47 AM   #2
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Where are you buying the Coke? Grey dealer? If so, trade the Omega, no you will not get a much, but it will be an easier transaction.

Good Luck
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 07:04 AM   #3
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
I agree with Bill2e.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 07:07 AM   #4
spellmanski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
Where are you buying the Coke? Grey dealer? If so, trade the Omega, no you will not get a much, but it will be an easier transaction.

Good Luck
This
spellmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 07:09 AM   #5
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Best offload strategy to obtain a different watch

Ask whoever you’re buying from what they will give you in trade.
Then take some pics and send them to the other sellers. If they are close, sell it to the place you’re getting the new watch from. It will be easier and I think in some states you can save the sales tax in the value of the traded watch (if you’re charged sales tax). If one is much higher send it to the other place instead.

I recently did this and Bob’s quoted me a figure $2000 higher than who I was buying from. So I sent it to them and the cash was in my account before I paid for the new watch. The transaction was seamless. They sent me a label, they had the watch the next day, the money was deposited in my account in 48 hours.

I had other watches where the difference wasn’t as great so I sent those in trade for the new watch.

Incidentally I tried selling them on eBay and WUS while I was waiting on offers etc. I offered the watches for a little more than what I had been offered by Bob’s. So pretty close to wholesale. I still got tire kickers and time wasters and low ballers. I got no good offers on a watch a knew was priced competitively because I had data.

I’ve come to the conclusion that selling privately may not be worth it. The ease of the transaction with the trusted seller was worth any money I gave up by not selling privately. Good luck.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 07:21 AM   #6
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I’ve sold a few watches on this forum. Super easy.

Just do your research on proper protocols and I recommend using Parcel Pro for secure and insured shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 09:11 AM   #7
Patekfinder
Banned

I have consistently gotten the highest offers from European Watch Co. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patekfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 02:11 PM   #8
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
It all comes down to how easily you want to do it, and how risk of us you are.

The more risk, the higher reward. The more work you do, the higher reward.
The less risk, the lower reward, the less work you’re willing to do, the lower reward

Easiest and least risky, which is be to walk into a pawnshop and sell it, but you’ll get by far the least amount of money by doing that. But you’ll get literal dollar bills in your hand. (or probably a check)
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 02:19 PM   #9
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2e View Post
where are you buying the coke? Grey dealer? If so, trade the omega, no you will not get a much, but it will be an easier transaction.

Good luck
+1
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 03:48 PM   #10
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

The problem with the "Trusted Sellers" are the prices are wicked high!!

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 10:39 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The first thing is to find the watch you want from a Trusted Seller. Get on the phone and have a conversation with the seller and make sure everything is the way you want. Discuss pricing on the watch you want and what you have to trade. Usually you can get a few hundred off asking price but be ready to hear $2300-2700 on your watch if it is complete and in good condition from this generation. The easiest and most seamless way to acquire the watch you want is to do the deal with the same person you are buying from. This may result in you not getting the few hundred extra dollars but it will also mean you do not have to try to sell the watch yourself and deal with all of the nonsense that can come from that. I have done both and recently sold a watch and after I paid the fees and answered a 1000 questions I ended up with $70 more than a Trusted Seller offered me. I will not do it again, so I say. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote