The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 10 March 2023, 02:36 AM   #1
Mach
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO
Ω Speedmaster Calibre 321 'Ed White' has finally landed!

After a myriad of failed attempts over the last three years, I'm ecstatic to share that I've finally taken delivery of my Ed White!

Unfortunately, there are no OBs in the Boston area (The one previously located in the Natick Mall closed at the end of 2016.). I've visited over a dozen throughout the US and would get, "Have you purchased from us before?" That's despite the fact I had acquired five Omega from ADs and all five were registered on my profile on Omega's site. I later discovered that the SAs at these OBs can't see my profile.

To say that it took a substantial amount of effort, perseverance, and dedication would be an understatement! Let's just say that I don't take it very well when I'm told, "No!" It must be the fact that I'm blessed with Italian genes (i.e. stubborn tenacity)!

As you may recall, this was announced to the public on the first Speedy Tuesday of 2020 (Jan 7th). Well, 164 Speedy Tuesdays later, I finally received the call last week! I was in Kansas City on the final week of a client engagement when I got the call from the OB. I got home a little after midnight on Saturday, slept for a few hours, and then was back on a plane!

I'm both thrilled and relieved to finally have what IMHO is THE best modern Omega Speedmaster!

Best,
Mark
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 02:47 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sorry to pressure you into this Mark

I’m sincerely happy for you! It’s well worth the wait, and I’m glad you found a boutique willing to work with you. They are rare birds indeed.

It truly is a very special piece. You’ll get lost looking at the movement through the loupe that comes with it. clap:

Here is an article on the 2310 Lemania that one of the fellas here (I think it was @logo) sent me shortly after I got mine. It’s worth a read or two or three.

https://revolutionwatch.com/the-comp...-calibre-2310/

Oh, and it fits you perfectly too, I might add. Enjoy it
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 02:55 AM   #3
Mach
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Sorry to pressure you into this Mark

I’m sincerely happy for you! It’s well worth the wait, and I’m glad you found a boutique willing to work with you. They are rare birds indeed.

It truly is a very special piece. You’ll get lost looking at the movement through the loupe that comes with it. clap:

Here is an article on the 2310 Lemania that one of the fellas here (I think it was @logo) sent me shortly after I got mine. It’s worth a read or two or three.

https://revolutionwatch.com/the-comp...-calibre-2310/

Oh, and it fits you perfectly too, I might add. Enjoy it
Thanks again, Brian! As I look down at my wrist, I'm still in disbelief. And thanks for the article!
Old 10 March 2023, 02:58 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Thanks again, Brian! As I look down at my wrist, I'm still in disbelief. And thanks for the article!

You know the other thing I truly appreciate about the 321 is the beautiful case finishing ... its doesn't get nearly as much air play as it should.

I guess there's just too much else to go on about

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 04:43 AM   #5
FCtimepieces
"TRF" Member

congrats!

no purchase history at this OB?
FCtimepieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 04:47 AM   #6
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Congrats, happy you were able to get it from the boutique
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 05:39 AM   #7
logo
"TRF" Member

Congrats! It’s a fantastic watch. I agree the article Brian posted is a great read - that article alone helps justify this watch as a “great deal,” but really there are so many other aspects - from Gene Cernan, to the fact that no stone was left unturned when it came to making this watch. Just about everything is perfect.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 08:34 AM   #8
Mach
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCtimepieces View Post
congrats!

no purchase history at this OB?
Thanks! One prior piece from this OB - the CK859:
Old 10 March 2023, 10:43 AM   #9
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
A massive congrats to you on this, Mark! Here's a purchase you'll never regret. Enjoy in good health.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 05:17 PM   #10
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Congrats Mark - brilliant watch. I’ve just passed having mine for 2 years and still love it. Enjoy
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 10:48 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. A very cool watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 02:06 AM   #12
cornsyrup_bezel
"TRF" Member

thanks your story helps me understand why i am languishing on a waitlist. Congratulations and enjoy that beauty in good health!!
cornsyrup_bezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 02:46 AM   #13
FCtimepieces
"TRF" Member

wow everywhere i went they tell me 100k spend to get on a list, and i too own multiple omegas (purchased from various ADs around the world)
mind sharing your tips/experience for getting this at retail?
FCtimepieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 04:56 AM   #14
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Very Big congrats on a special Speedy!
Bravo!
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 07:05 AM   #15
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Great watch, enjoy in good health. But with how they trickle from Bienne at this point one shouldn't be surprised boutiques need to take care of people who has a better relationship/with higher spending history....it's just good business practice. Glad the OP squeezed through and won at the end of the day but I'd discourage people these days feeling entitled to luxury goods when the demand greatly exceeds supply.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2023, 02:25 AM   #16
Mach
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
Congrats, happy you were able to get it from the boutique
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Congrats! It’s a fantastic watch. I agree the article Brian posted is a great read - that article alone helps justify this watch as a “great deal,” but really there are so many other aspects - from Gene Cernan, to the fact that no stone was left unturned when it came to making this watch. Just about everything is perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
A massive congrats to you on this, Mark! Here's a purchase you'll never regret. Enjoy in good health.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Congrats Mark - brilliant watch. I’ve just passed having mine for 2 years and still love it. Enjoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Congratulations. A very cool watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
Very Big congrats on a special Speedy!
Bravo!
Thank You, gents!
Old 12 March 2023, 02:34 AM   #17
Mach
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCtimepieces View Post
wow everywhere i went they tell me 100k spend to get on a list, and i too own multiple omegas (purchased from various ADs around the world)
mind sharing your tips/experience for getting this at retail?
I'm a member of a Boston watch chat group and someone posted this photo last year:

There were no official announcements at that time. I immediately contacted the OB to express my interest. They initial responded that this was the Olympic piece. I didn't know if they were under embargo or if they truly didn't know at this time. But I kept providing details from info I saw on IG and OF. When I picked up my CK859 last April, I specifically asked them if they really didn't know about this when I contacted them. The general manager said they learned of this existence because of me.

Now, whether this helped me or not, I'm not sure. But they knew I'm a passionate collector after this engagement. And once I was informed that I would be allocated a piece, I didn't ask any questions.

Hope this helps!
Old 12 March 2023, 02:47 AM   #18
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats on the 321! Been thinking about it as well…
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2023, 02:52 AM   #19
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
So the 321 is limited edition in SS?
mmbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2023, 02:56 AM   #20
Mach
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Great watch, enjoy in good health.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
But with how they trickle from Bienne at this point one shouldn't be surprised boutiques need to take care of people who has a better relationship/with higher spending history....it's just good business practice. Glad the OP squeezed through and won at the end of the day but I'd discourage people these days feeling entitled to luxury goods when the demand greatly exceeds supply.
With all due respect, I would have to disagree with this. I have a different perspective as I'm sure you would imagine. I believe it's much more complicated than simply allocating limited pieces to those clients with higher spending histories.

I've had this same exact discussion multiple times with various brand executives, management, and SAs at various boutiques. Just because someone has a higher spending history doesn't mean they should receive a limited production piece such as the Ed White. This was the methodology that Omega employed with the initial batches of the Ed White. So, those pieces that were available on the secondary market, especially in 2020 and 2021, came from these VIPs.

Regardless of one's spending history, everyone should have to prove that they want a piece IMHO. Too many VIPs get limited production pieces because of their status and they feel special that they are among the initial folks receiving these stunning pieces - not because they truly want one! This is one of the many reasons the secondary markets exploded over the last few years.

One of my many lessons learned that as a passionate collector, I have to establish a relationship at a brand's boutique. I think this hurts the multiple great ADs in the local market that have introduced folks like myself to a brand such as Omega. It's unfortunate. But that's the only way to achieve success with these limited production pieces.

Finally, as collectors, we should take some of the responsibility. We should operate as professionals and be respectful of our fellow collectors and take the time to ensure that what we acquire is truly would we wants. Once again, I respect your view. But, hopefully, you understand my perspective.

Very Respectfully,

Mark