The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 May 2018, 10:35 PM   #1
kruplyn143
"TRF" Member

Blank name & Address of owner

Hi,
I am planning to buy a used Nautilus. The certificate of origin has the stamp of the Patek AD. However the Name and address of owner is blank. Can I just hand write my name and address on the certificate? I am buying the watch from a reputable brick and mortar store.
kruplyn143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:14 PM   #2
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

It’s your watch or soon to be so do what you want!
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:47 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engpa View Post
Hi,
I am planning to buy a used Nautilus. The certificate of origin has the stamp of the Patek AD. However the Name and address of owner is blank. Can I just hand write my name and address on the certificate? I am buying the watch from a reputable brick and mortar store.
i suppose you can, but thats not the name Patek will have in their archives. Its already tied to someone else's name even if the certificate is blank. Does it matter? not really.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:49 PM   #4
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i suppose you can, but thats not the name Patek will have in their archives. Its already tied to someone else's name.
Until you inform them and they change it.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:50 PM   #5
kruplyn143
"TRF" Member

It doesn’t, really matter. i am just curious. Thank you for the replies.
kruplyn143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:55 PM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Until you inform them and they change it.
they do that? Thats pretty cool. You don't get any of that data on an extract do you? Like who owned the watch first on an antique piece.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 22 May 2018, 12:35 AM   #7
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

There are many watches without name/address on the certificates. Sometimes they were purchased for resale and other times, the collector wanted to protect his privacy. Technically ADs are supposed to fill it out before the client leaves, but it has not always been strictly enforced in the past.

The Archice papers will not have the original owner information. And unless you register the watch in your name after purchasing it, Patek won't automatically attach your information to the watch either.

Many Patek owners want discretion and don't always register their watches after purchase.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 01:24 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Your choice on leaving blank or not, though do notify Patek the watch is now yours.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 01:40 AM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
There are many watches without name/address on the certificates. Sometimes they were purchased for resale and other times, the collector wanted to protect his privacy. Technically ADs are supposed to fill it out before the client leaves, but it has not always been strictly enforced in the past.

The Archice papers will not have the original owner information. And unless you register the watch in your name after purchasing it, Patek won't automatically attach your information to the watch either.

Many Patek owners want discretion and don't always register their watches after purchase.
i would be curious how strict this has become. My AD has put my name and address on every one. Personally i kind of like it, but if i was a flipper i dont know how much i would like my address being visible to whatever random person buys it next.
Old 22 May 2018, 02:33 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
i would be curious how strict this has become. My AD has put my name and address on every one. Personally i kind of like it, but if i was a flipper i dont know how much i would like my address being visible to whatever random person buys it next.
Years ago address seemed optional and many didn't have it written on the Cert. Things may have changed since years ago about that. When i bought used, usually the original owner's name and address are blacked out... sometimes not.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:01 AM   #11
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Around 2 years ago, Rhone used to pre-print buyers details on the certificate for certain models. I was told that now they had abandoned that practice. Most ADs will respect client's request not to put their address on the certificate due to privacy reasons if they know that buyer will not flip it immediately.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:04 AM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
Around 2 years ago, Rhone used to pre-print buyers details on the certificate for certain models. I was told that now they had abandoned that practice. Most ADs will respect client's request not to put their address on the certificate due to privacy reasons if they know that buyer will not flip it immediately.
ive got one pre printed and the rest are not. Its the 5524 strangely enough.
Old 22 May 2018, 06:41 AM   #13
Helmi
"TRF" Member

I would just leave it blank. In case you sell it the new buyer will be happy to his name or just leave it blank as well
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 07:17 AM   #14
D4UK
Banned

Watch: TT SUB LV GMTII
the only thing that annoys me with the AD filling in the details is how 'neat and tidy' or not! the AD's/salepersons handwriting IS or ISN'T!
D4UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 08:07 AM   #15
martinr
"TRF" Member

Here in the USA AD’s are filling in the Certificate and also mailing the registration to Patek. Two AD’s told me Patek has instructed them to do it. The can leave off the address but fill in your name and city or town.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 09:32 AM   #16
ufboy73
Banned

Other than the very real intangible of having your own name on the papers - is there any detriment (in PP’s eyes) to not having your name on it (ie later warranty coverage, service, etc.)

Thinking in terms of potentially buying new through trusted sellers, given the scarcity of things these days.
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote