The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 September 2018, 04:09 AM   #1
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Is it better to be younger or older and closer to retirement?

Well what do you think?

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 04:12 AM   #2
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
I'm older and closer to retirement, so I'd say younger.
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 04:15 AM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac478 View Post
I'm older and closer to retirement, so I'd say younger.
That’s a quick response wth little explanation. I understand that thinking but I’m really hopping to get more thoughtful and more in depth explanations and thinking on this subject.

I have time let’s see where this goes.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 September 2018, 04:17 AM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
That’s a quick response wth little explanation. I understand that thinking but I’m really hopping to get more thoughtful and more in depth explanations and thinking on this subject.

I have time let’s see where this goes.

Well why don’t you start us off with your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 04:28 AM   #5
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Well why don’t you start us off with your opinion?

I wish I could say I would rather be younger. I wish I could say I had more hope than I do about the current direction of our country and the current state of things. I wish I felt things were better now than when I was younger.

However I tend to believe more and more that life actually was better when I was growing up than I believe it to be now.

Just one example would be that kids were encouraged to go outside, play, and socialize. Competition was encouraged, team play, and integrity.

Seems now and you can’t blame parents for being afraid to let kids go outside and explore. Trophies for all were awarded because we were afraid to hurt their feelings and we have more obese kids than we ever had during my day.

Hard work used to be encouraged and now it’s short cuts that now rule the day.

At this point I hate to say it but there are even more reasons for which retiring seems more appealing than sticking around and trying to figure out how I can possibly fit in with so many things that go against my way of thinking and being. Things that I always aspired to be or do.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 September 2018, 04:28 AM   #6
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I’m not sure I understand the question. Life is a journey. Is there really any “better” state? In my opinion it’s wonderful to even be alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 September 2018, 04:33 AM   #7
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Quote:
I wish I could say I would rather be younger. I wish I could say I had more hope than I do about the current direction of our country and the current state of things. I wish I felt things were better now than when I was younger.

However I tend to believe more and more that life actually was better when I was growing up than I believe it to be now.

Just one example would be that kids were encouraged to go outside, play, and socialize. Competition was encouraged, team play, and integrity.

Seems now and you can’t blame them parents are afraid to let kids go outside and explore. Trophies for all were awarded because we were afraid to hurt their feelings and we have more obese kids than we ever had during my day.

Hard work used to be encouraged and now it’s short cuts that now seem to be the new thing that rules the day.

At this point I hate to say it but there are even more reasons for which retiring seems more appealing than sticking around and trying to figure out how I can possibly fit in with so many things that go against my way of thinking and being. Things that I always aspired to be or do.
surround yourself with like minded people and enjoy the show!
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 04:34 AM   #8
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I’m not sure I understand the question. Life is a journey. Is there really any “better” state? In my opinion it’s wonderful to even be alive.

But sometimes don’t you ever wish things could be different? Maybe even better. Wouldn’t it be nice if parents weren’t afraid to let their kids go outside and play?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 September 2018, 04:36 AM   #9
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
But sometimes don’t you ever wish things could be different? Maybe even better. Wouldn’t it be nice if parents weren’t afraid to let their kids go outside and play?

I constantly wish things were better. Life is suffering. But I am who I am today because of the days past. How could I trade those for anything? I just hope I have many more in front of me to watch my family age happily.

Old 16 September 2018, 04:39 AM   #10
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
surround yourself with like minded people and enjoy the show!
You know, I think that’s what it’s coming down to. However you would think some values or some beliefs would be more universal. I don’t think I ever found that to be true. Sorry really that hard work, fair play, and integrity don’t seem to be that popular.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 September 2018, 04:41 AM   #11
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I constantly wish things were better. Life is suffering. But I am who I am today because of the days past. How could I trade those for anything? I just hope I have many more in front of me to watch my family age happily.

No doubt, and I wouldn’t trade any of those things although some were not so pleasant at the time. Just looking forward lately I have seemed to lost some hope.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 September 2018, 04:44 AM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Well what do you think?
I'm young and ignorant and don't want it any other way.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 04:51 AM   #13
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I'm young and ignorant and don't want it any other way.
Your probably just being funny but that’s always been exactly the thing I railed against. It’s always better to know than not. Having a plan and making sure all the details were meticulously planned and executed. Doing my best, and getting the best possible outcome. The ignorant s*** always pissed me off.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 September 2018, 04:56 AM   #14
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Your probably just being funny but that’s always been exactly the thing I railed against. It’s always better to know than not. Having a plan and making sure all the details were meticulously planned and executed. Doing my best, and getting the best possible outcome. The ignorant s*** always pissed me off.
I think I have my life pretty straight, fresh out of school, good watchmaking job with a positive future, good salary, super low monthly expense.

Aside from that I let it run its course, life is short, better have some fun. Like I said, I prefer being young and being in the moment, I've done what I can to ensure a good future, we'll see how it turns out.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 05:03 AM   #15
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to minimize your question, it's just that I try not to think, philosophically, about things that are completely out of my control. As someone else mentioned, I'm really happy to be alive today. I'm one who does not believe in an afterlife, so this is it for me. I love my life and where I'm at right now (60) but, like a lot of people, if I had a chance to hop in a time machine and go back to my youth, knowing what I know now - I'd think seriously about that.
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 05:06 AM   #16
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I think I have my life pretty straight, fresh out of school, good watchmaking job with a positive future, good salary, super low monthly expense.

Aside from that I let it run its course, life is short, better have some fun. Like I said, I prefer being young and being in the moment, I've done what I can to ensure a good future, we'll see how it turns out.
Just a different way of thinking. But not something I haven’t tried with many a younger person I’ve come across. Some of it just because I’m different and that’s how I think, some because as a father and a leader in the military we mold young people into soldiers and men, and some out of a concern because good leaders are generally concerned about the people they are charged to care for.

Sometimes they rebuff these concerns and sometimes, yes sometimes I’ve shared something that made someone think or change something maybe even the tiniest thing and done something different as a result of that conversation.

Funny, but I’ve always tried to hang out with older people all my life. Even if I didn’t always agree I always found actual experience to be invaluable.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 September 2018, 05:08 AM   #17
Brew
"TRF" Member

I guess more information is need to answer your question. If you're prepared for retirement and can keep your mind occupied, then retiring may be "better." But if you need more time to prepare, then younger is "better."
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 05:09 AM   #18
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Is it better to be younger or older and closer to retirement?

Thanks for kicking off the conversation, Dan. Now I’m better equipped to reply.

When I was young and ignorant of many things, I didn’t despair about which I was unaware. Certainly injustice aroused intolerant emotions, but the broader diaspora of optimism into cynicism was reserved for only those few things that hit the headlines.

Now, older and more experienced, and more informed by the never ending news cycle, I am glad to have gained perspective, tolerance and patience.

But I’ve tried to stay wonder-eyed at all the good and new beautiful things we have - and remain optimistic that the swings of outrageousness will be damped by the rising better angels of our nature.

Hmmm...
On the one hand, Bas’ young and in the moment....
On the other, jaded aged cynicism....

IMHO, I’ll opt for clueful mindfulness - imagining the wonderful “why not?” of 7 simultaneously with “how it really works” of 70.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 05:15 AM   #19
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to minimize your question, it's just that I try not to think, philosophically, about things that are completely out of my control. As someone else mentioned, I'm really happy to be alive today. I'm one who does not believe in an afterlife, so this is it for me. I love my life and where I'm at right now (60) but, like a lot of people, if I had a chance to hop in a time machine and go back to my youth, knowing what I know now - I'd think seriously about that.
No, no issues.

I don’t mean I wish I could get into a time machine though. I just wish there were certain things or aspects which might be more like when I was growing up vs the way things are now. I don’t wish to bring back certain things but I do wish I could bring back the fact that kids could go outside without fear and play. I wish work ethic was valued more like I think it was rather than dishonesty and greed.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 September 2018, 05:17 AM   #20
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Well, I was just retired for medical reasons.

I'm happy to be where I am and will let life unroll before me. I've had a fulfilling journey so far and expect that to continue till someone is shoveling dirt onto my eternal condo.
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 05:25 AM   #21
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Thanks for kicking off the conversation, Dan. Now I’m better equipped to reply.

When I was young and ignorant of many things, I didn’t despair about which I was unaware. Certainly injustice aroused intolerant emotions, but the broader diaspora of optimism into cynicism was reserved for only those few things that hit the headlines.

Now, older and more experienced, and more informed by the never ending news cycle, I am glad to have gained perspective, tolerance and patience.

But I’ve tried to stay wonder-eyed at all the good and new beautiful things we have - and remain optimistic that the swings of outrageousness will be damped by the rising better angels of our nature.

Hmmm...
On the one hand, Bas’ young and in the moment....
On the other, jaded aged cynicism....

IMHO, I’ll opt for clueful mindfulness - imagining the wonderful “why not?” of 7 simultaneously with “how it really works” of 70.

Maybe it’s that old solder in me that keeps coming out the older I get. Even as a young sergeant taking and molding young men was something I took very seriously.

I learned early on that those who I valued most were those who tried and I felt an olbligation to do something about those who didn’t participate in helping to make the team be the best that it could be. I saw this when I was younger and resolved if ever I was in charge I would do something about it.

It’s not just about what’s right and wrong but it’s about many things to include what’s best for all. I didn’t only feel an obligation to my soldiers but those on my flanks and those that my soldiers would eventually lead later on.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 September 2018, 05:41 AM   #22
exador
Banned

Quote:
If I had a chance to hop in a time machine and go back to my youth, knowing what I know now - I'd think seriously about that.
I would do that in a heart beat. Spend all my paper round money on vintage Subs
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 05:45 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I can relate to this, when I was a kid in the 80s we used to run around everywhere with no fear or supervision... but I guess we were just lucky. Now I've seen too many horror stories and ofc they are also far more widely reported now. So many minor sex crimes of the 70s/80s were tolerated but now would be considered horrific, just indeed as acceptable parent's punishments have undergone a drastic change in the last 30 years.

I haven't actually seen kids playing outside of designated areas for 20 years now but I'm of the view that when it comes to kids you have to be safe not sorry, no matter how miniscule the chances are... you can't afford to make one single mistake here.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 05:53 AM   #24
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I can relate to this, when I was a kid in the 80s we used to run around everywhere with no fear or supervision... but I guess we were just lucky. Now I've seen too many horror stories and ofc they are also far more widely reported now. So many minor sex crimes of the 70s/80s were tolerated but now would be considered horrific, just indeed as acceptable parent's punishments have undergone a drastic change in the last 30 years.

I haven't actually seen kids playing outside of designated areas for 20 years now but I'm of the view that when it comes to kids you have to be safe not sorry, no matter how miniscule the chances are... you can't afford to make one single mistake here.

I also wonder how much a problem it actually is. Not that one is too many, more that one might just be to elevated that the 10,000 suffer more because their inability to really experience the joy of having real fun, excercise, and social experiences you just can’t substitute that any other way.

It really is unfortunate that many ithings we all have to deal with are because of the few rotten individuals that exist.

It really does seem society as a whole has changed and not for the good because of many of these things we find ourselves doing now because of those very few. Problem is I think as a result we actually have even more.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 September 2018, 06:03 AM   #25
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

Other thoughts.......

Seems that not too many days go by that here locally a new incident of child abuse (rape and such) of one type or another gets reported. Not a very big community. So it does make me think it’s a fairly bad issue.

I just wish this hadn’t gotten to the point it’s changed the way we go about living life. Somehow we’ve resolved not to let the school incidents and terrorism to do the same. I guess they just haven’t gotten to the point of frequency that they have changed things enough.

Just sucks if you ask me.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 September 2018, 06:13 AM   #26
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Young for sure but who cares we can’t go backwards.
Old 16 September 2018, 06:28 AM   #27
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
I just don’t understand life full stop!

My brain is wired to wonder why we are here, what’s our purpose, why do we suffer etc

Damn brain!

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 06:37 AM   #28
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
I just don’t understand life full stop!

My brain is wired to wonder why we are here, what’s our purpose, why do we suffer etc

Damn brain!

As a leader I always thinking and even instructed to continually think how you could do better. Re-live it, re-think it, always, but always try to do better. I just can’t help but thinking why is this or why is that. If I do this or if I tweak that. All about trying to do it better. But somehow someway if I only do something else I could do better.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 September 2018, 07:24 AM   #29
fastfreddie
Banned

Well the closer you are the further you don’t have to go. Also the worst thing about dying is that you are really stiff the next day.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:39 AM   #30
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Ha, retirement on 12/28/18.
Can’t waste time looking back as will miss today so........... prefer where I am.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote