The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 November 2020, 06:41 AM   #1
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: TV
New sea dweller

I don’t really want to write a long review about this 2020 sea dweller piece. I am absolutely stunned at how beautiful it is and how well it wears on my wrist. I have a hulk sub and then a blue two-tone sub... I had always thought a sea dweller would be too large for my wrist but as soon as I put it on I now realize this will likely be the best watch I own.. I’d post pics but they don’t format well on here.

The new sea dweller is a stunner. It’s my new sub replacement until I perhaps get a black dial sub someday. I just cannot believe how comfortably-fitting this is on the (my) wrist.

As soon as I tried it on, I knew it was to be.... the AD hadn’t set it out yet and I realize I’m fortunate to have this piece. I have a hulk, newer pepsi, bluesy, deep blue, a Royal oak offshore,1970 air king, a patek 5196, a reverso, a vacheron gold piece, and I keep coming back to the sea dweller. It’s so simple and so comfortable. It suits me....

I adore the cyclops on the new sea dweller. Great piece. Really a stunner. Very happy. I bought this née sea dweller at msrp a few weeks ago and just cannot believe how well it sits on my wrist.
MeepHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 05:20 AM   #2
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepHead View Post
I don’t really want to write a long review about this 2020 sea dweller piece. I am absolutely stunned at how beautiful it is and how well it wears on my wrist. I have a hulk sub and then a blue two-tone sub... I had always thought a sea dweller would be too large for my wrist but as soon as I put it on I now realize this will likely be the best watch I own.. I’d post pics but they don’t format well on here.

The new sea dweller is a stunner. It’s my new sub replacement until I perhaps get a black dial sub someday. I just cannot believe how comfortably-fitting this is on the (my) wrist.

As soon as I tried it on, I knew it was to be.... the AD hadn’t set it out yet and I realize I’m fortunate to have this piece. I have a hulk, newer pepsi, bluesy, deep blue, a Royal oak offshore,1970 air king, a patek 5196, a reverso, a vacheron gold piece, and I keep coming back to the sea dweller. It’s so simple and so comfortable. It suits me....

I adore the cyclops on the new sea dweller. Great piece. Really a stunner. Very happy. I bought this née sea dweller at msrp a few weeks ago and just cannot believe how well it sits on my wrist.

Your thought were my thoughts the first time I tried the SD on my wrist. It was like it or nothing. A month later I was at the boutique collecting my own.
It says hello. Waiting for pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 December 2020, 11:17 AM   #3
Happy.Hades
"TRF" Member

This is my next piece. what's your wrist circumference?
Happy.Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 07:00 PM   #4
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

New sea dweller

Many loathe the Cyclop, Rolex just show them the middle finger. And that’s cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homo Sapien X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 12:14 PM   #5
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

My wrist is small. Likely 6.1”. I’m going to remove the dive clasp. I can’t stop wearing the piece and I have many. I love its similarity to a black sub but it’s not. And since I need reading glasses, I love the cyclops. I don’t see myself wearing a different watch anytime soon. I used to like the two tone blue sub best but this new sea dweller is easily my fav. It fits like a glove. The lugs are weird because they grip your wrist. The red text makes it stand out. I knew it was great within 3 seconds of trying it on. I’d post a pic but they’re a pain to format.

I have a hulk, two tone blue, deep blue, gmt pepsi, Patek 5196, pam88, reverso, air king, AP royal oak offshore, explorer 36mm, and the sea dweller by far surpasses them all,for,simplicity and wrist fit.

But that being said, the bluesy still speaks to me. As does the hulk. I never wear the AP either. It’s nice but I’m a Rolex guy. The 5196 is beautiful but is my dress watch. Again, I’m a Rolex guy.

To me, the sea dweller is a deep sea without the ridiculous thickness. It’s also a sub with more legibility.
Old 9 December 2020, 01:17 AM   #6
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Here’s a resized pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 505EB5DA-F7FC-47EE-A9A2-D75EED16FFC0.jpeg (76.3 KB, 701 views)
Old 15 December 2020, 08:44 AM   #7
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Congratulations. This Sea-Dweller is a great watch, I can confirm.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 10:33 AM   #8
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Congratulations. This Sea-Dweller is a great watch, I can confirm.
It’s become my number one. It’s everything a sub could be. But it’s different.
Old 5 January 2021, 03:26 PM   #9
mimariani
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG GMT
Congrats!!! I’m hoping to try one on and add to my collection one day. Thanks for the review.
Date Just 41 - 126334
Sub - 14060m 2 liner
Tudor S&G
mimariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 05:40 AM   #10
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimariani View Post
Congrats!!! I’m hoping to try one on and add to my collection one day. Thanks for the review.
You’ll love the new tapered lugs ... they conform to the wrist quite well.
Old 8 January 2021, 12:30 PM   #11
LuxuryAssets
Banned

I prefer this over the old one to be honest.
LuxuryAssets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 07:20 AM   #12
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

I saw the two tone model of this piece today. I almost grabbed it. It’s even perfect in two tone. The lettering is in yellow gold.
Old 11 January 2021, 02:24 AM   #13
islandhopper70
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41
Now I want to go try one on my wrist...
islandhopper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 10:59 PM   #14
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandhopper70 View Post
Now I want to go try one on my wrist...
The reason this piece works is because of its simplicity.. I don’t need corroboration from anybody but the funny thing is I talked to a gentleman driving a Gorgeous vehicle ((RR) on Saturday. The reason I spoke to him is because he had a new sea dweller watch on his wrist.. he pulled into a restaurant carry out parking spot.. in any case we both talked about watches for a while... I have pateks, AP, ETC.. I continually find myself wearing this new piece all the time. And he commented the same . The authorized dealer from whom I bought this also explained some of their best customers (myself included maybe) have loads of pieces but in everyday life, revert to the sea dweller as their daily wearer. Not daily beater. The watch with which they’re most comfortable. This watch has the legibility of a deep sea but the cyclops window makes it readable like a sub... the lugs make,it wear smaller than sized. It grips the wrist.

I’m seriously contemplating buying the two tone version this coming weekend. I’m hoping someone else grabs it. In any case this watch is definitely a sleeper. There’s literally nothing objectionable about this piece. It’s a home run from Rolex. I had the opportunity to also buy a new sub and did not. I already have two old subs anyway. The 2020 sea dweller is the best Rolex piece I own.
Old 14 January 2021, 01:46 PM   #15
Dr Z
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepHead View Post
The reason this piece works is because of its simplicity.. I don’t need corroboration from anybody but the funny thing is I talked to a gentleman driving a Gorgeous vehicle ((RR) on Saturday. The reason I spoke to him is because he had a new sea dweller watch on his wrist.. he pulled into a restaurant carry out parking spot.. in any case we both talked about watches for a while... I have pateks, AP, ETC.. I continually find myself wearing this new piece all the time. And he commented the same . The authorized dealer from whom I bought this also explained some of their best customers (myself included maybe) have loads of pieces but in everyday life, revert to the sea dweller as their daily wearer. Not daily beater. The watch with which they’re most comfortable. This watch has the legibility of a deep sea but the cyclops window makes it readable like a sub... the lugs make,it wear smaller than sized. It grips the wrist.

I’m seriously contemplating buying the two tone version this coming weekend. I’m hoping someone else grabs it. In any case this watch is definitely a sleeper. There’s literally nothing objectionable about this piece. It’s a home run from Rolex. I had the opportunity to also buy a new sub and did not. I already have two old subs anyway. The 2020 sea dweller is the best Rolex piece I own.

I was lucky to find a SD 43 a couple of weeks ago. It is the largest Rolex that I have....I was definitely concerned about the size....but it really wears much like a 40 mm to me.....it feels similar to my BLNR except the SD 43 actually fits more snugly and has a thicker profile.... While not quite as heavy as a platinum model this watch is heavy enough and feels just right. The bracelet is the best I have seen on any watch. The watch details are beautiful...especially the bezel and dial.... I like most of us on TRF have multiple Rolex watches but the SD 43 will be my daily watch.
Dr Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:49 AM   #16
Robert Bruce
Banned

To my eye it looks as though the rehaut on the SD43 is...

tapered or angled inwards toward the edge of the dial. In other words, it's wider up by the crystal than it is down by the dial. Imho, that makes the dial look a bit smaller than it needs to be. Not a deal-breaker, it's only just noticeable.
Robert Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 11:54 PM   #17
PGTO3406
"TRF" Member

Bought it 3 months ago, no regret
PGTO3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 09:17 AM   #18
carl123
"TRF" Member

Great watch

I got this watch 3 years ago, have loved it so much. I recently got the TT version and I am in love all over again!
carl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 10:43 AM   #19
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl123 View Post
I got this watch 3 years ago, have loved it so much. I recently got the TT version and I am in love all over again!
The two tone version really speaks to me. It’s very tempting to grab that. The AD by me had a preowned two tone which really is magnificent . I’m hoping they’ve by now sold it.
Old 23 January 2021, 10:48 AM   #20
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Z View Post
I was lucky to find a SD 43 a couple of weeks ago. It is the largest Rolex that I have....I was definitely concerned about the size....but it really wears much like a 40 mm to me.....it feels similar to my BLNR except the SD 43 actually fits more snugly and has a thicker profile.... While not quite as heavy as a platinum model this watch is heavy enough and feels just right. The bracelet is the best I have seen on any watch. The watch details are beautiful...especially the bezel and dial.... I like most of us on TRF have multiple Rolex watches but the SD 43 will be my daily watch.
The sea dweller reminds me of starship troopers. “ I need a corporal. You're it, until you're dead or I find someone better..”

I’m standing the other night staring at my AP Royal oak and other pieces wondering why I like the sea dweller the most. I do concur it’s heavy enough to be noticed but it wears unbelievably well because the lugs tapering. I never even wear the AP and am asking myself why I even have it. Or the other rolexes which I won’t sell. Perhaps the sea dweller luster will wear off eventually.
Old 13 May 2021, 11:08 PM   #21
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

I want to share a quick story. I’m talking into an iPad so I hope this translates OK. I accidentally dropped my sea dweller onto a concrete floor. I could not believe I did this. The noise was excruciating and loud. The watch was wrapped around a watch pillow. I had not wound the watch but ithe movement started to move. Or I mean the minute hand started moving. Everything seemed OK but I still took the piece into the authorized dealer. They checked everything out. Not a scratch on a piece no damage. I just want to say how resilient these watches are. At least in stainless steel... I can’t believe that watch is OK. After such a fall. I hope to never do that again but I wanted to at least talk about the resilience of Rolex. Or at least this model. Had this been my day date I have a feeling the crystal would’ve shattered