The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 9 May 2021, 11:59 PM   #31
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cru jones View Post
one can wear a watch that makes one happy.
download.jpeg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 12:07 AM   #32
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I can't really add to what has already been said other than if I had a nickel for every smile this watch brings me, I'd be a rich man

20190626_115207.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 12:12 AM   #33
TTbluesy
Banned

Lotta bang for the buck as its not the current Instagram darling.

Smart money buys a nice used Panerai over an absurd $37000 Daytona.
TTbluesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 12:51 AM   #34
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I can't really add to what has already been said other than if I had a nickel for every smile this watch brings me, I'd be a rich man

Attachment 1220238

Beautiful, beautiful watch.

Agreed, Panerai is a fantastic brand. I love how they are so innovative and cutting edge, creating new alloys, experiment with new metals, mixing metal and glass together, creating new iterations of titanium, etc.

And the watches are so beautiful and unique. I love my Panerai’s and will be adding more this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 12:54 AM   #35
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
Beautiful, beautiful watch.

Agreed, Panerai is a fantastic brand. I love how they are so innovative and cutting edge, creating new alloys, experiment with new metals, mixing metal and glass together, creating new iterations of titanium, etc.

And the watches are so beautiful and unique. I love my Panerai’s and will be adding more this year.

I couldn't agree more my friend! Can't wait to see what you add

brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 02:39 AM   #36
Joearch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I’m very happy with my Panerai on my wrist, so, I think Panerai is doing just fine.

Is it the crazy hype of the 2000s? No. Not that it matters - one can’t wear hype. One can wear a watch that makes one happy.
Exactly. I have been collecting Panerai for awhile and love the look and feel on the wrist. So unique. There was a point when I have sold most of my collection and some how over the last 5 years I got the bug again. For me, great value if you know the market and acquire carefully.

Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 11:44 PM   #37
Birch
"TRF" Member

I have 3 right now. 000, 183 and 630.

I like them, so that’s all that really matters.
Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 11:46 PM   #38
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTbluesy View Post
Lotta bang for the buck as its not the current Instagram darling.

Smart money buys a nice used Panerai over an absurd $37000 Daytona.
This.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 01:10 AM   #39
flyboyyy
"TRF" Member

I bought (well..traded an IWC Spitfire) for my first one early this year and I'm thoroughly enjoying it - in fact wearing it today. I wanted one in the past, but with my smallish wrists I couldn't pull of the huge 45mm versions. I finally found a 42mm Luminor (1392) that fits me perfectly, has a nice movement with a display back, wears wonderfully, shares the classic design language, and isn't scary expensive.

Just like some Rolex folks who frown at smaller watches, Panerai have their own snobs that will denigrate anything below 44mm and laugh at those of us with the 42mm's, but I don't care. I like the watch design and style. It's so different from most other watches and it's nice to have an affordable yet fairly high quality watch to choose in rotation. It has a great power reserve and has been very accurate.

As others have mentioned, there are some terrific bargains on them in the used market (I don't know as I'd bother buying one from an AD), but I also know the AD's will discount them. That said, they are one of the most heavily faked watches in the market, so buyer beware.

Also, the lume on most of them is killer and the semi quick change straps make changes a breeze!

In the past they really pissed off a bunch of their hardcore "Paneristi" by re-releasing past limited models, doing un-ending batches of Limited Editions upon Limited Editions (hello Omega), and sort of flubbing on their history a bit. I think they even got busted showing pics of fakes on their IG pages and didn't remove them even after they had been told. Lots and lots of incredibly stupid management decisions and repeated missteps over several years took them from being a rocket ship to where they are now. Good for me, because I can afford one!
flyboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 01:19 AM   #40
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

After years of hanging out over on the Rolex forum I am giddy to discover the world of Panerai and the value in the brand compared to Rolex. I love Rolex but it’s a slow churn to identify what you want and to wait for it. I’ve purchased two used Panerai in the last three weeks, both for considerably less than their retail at new and both total for less than one new SS sport model Rolex. And Panerai are fun watches where Rolex are so serious. I love them both but I’m crushing hard on Panerai at the moment.
Old 19 May 2021, 02:48 AM   #41
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
And Panerai are fun watches....
10000% agree

----------

You're in Vegas and there are two parties:

Rolex
Panerai

Which party would you attend?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 19 May 2021, 04:06 AM   #42
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I've owned 8-9 Panerai over the course of a decade and I've flipped all of them eventually. While that sounds really bad or indicative of too long of a learning curve about what I want, let me clarify by saying that Panerai HAS and still occasionally DOES make some really great watches. Like most watch brands, Panerai has an heavily embellished history, but getting past that does have a very original look and has been an innovator in case materials.

Most of the complaints you will read about that are levied against Panerai revolve around the way it has chosen to release its offerings in the past several years and the overall direction the brand is headed. Panerai seems set on becoming a lifestyle brand that promotes "experiences" over heritage/consistency. The brand has made some questionable choices cheapening the production and offerings on their entry level pieces and has set absurd MSRPs on their mid to upper tier releases. Couple that with a pattern of releasing something as a "Special Edition" only to release something nearly identical a year later as a regular production model and you can see why some Paneristi are becoming salty.

I think there are Panerai references out there that should almost be "must haves" in any collection (the PAM233) for example. There are others that were/are solid staples to the line that shouldn't have or never should leave production. There's also a ton of garbage that no one is buying. My personal opinion is that Panerai needs to pull back, standardize their regular production models, scale back on the prices and offerings, and limit some of the more exotic case materials and released to Special Editions only.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 06:34 AM   #43
6XYBE63ST
Banned

the masculine simplicity of a panerai's case compliments the intrinsic beauty of its movements so well it's hard to say no. a great bang for the buck
6XYBE63ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 11:39 AM   #44
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I’ve owned as many as 7 at once, owned as many as 5 Rolex as well. I now only have one PAM, 88 and it gets most of the wrist time. Something about Panerai makes me smile and that’s how I decide what I wear.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 06:54 PM   #45
Gargamel
"TRF" Member

Panerai has been trying tourbillon and very complicated watches and they failed.
Panerai is now trying to be the trend leader on new material and only time will tell. It's a way for them to raise the average price of their watches and get to a new public.

Hit or miss, I don't know. I'm not the target.

But management come and go and strategies change over time.

What cannot be removed from this brand is the uniqueness of the design ; crown guard, cushion shaped case, big and bold 3-6-9-12 dials.

PAMs 372, 587 or 249 are design masterpieces.
Gargamel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 07:15 PM   #46
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
I will disagree on pricing. I think having a selection of entry level models around 6k is great. Keep an entry into the brand and market to non-WIS people who are shopping between multiple brands. I like the Due line, branching into a semi-formal dress/sports watch. Those dials are beautiful. BUT I do want some badass, rugged models. Something Arnold or Sly would put in a movie. The adventures theme is fantastic. Let’s do a jungle theme or mountain adventurer next.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 10:29 PM   #47
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I love Panerai. However, the only thing holding me back from adding the 233 that I have wanted for a very long time is the direction the brand is heading. They seem to be pumping out a watch for everyone! Want a blue, black, white or green dial? We got them in almost every style! Want that same watch that's too big for you in 44 but in 42? Done! This is fine from a certain perspective, something for everyone, sure. However, it just seems they're trying very hard to please everyone, and giving up their "DNA" in the process.

They are becoming more of a fashion brand these days in my perspective and to me it is watering the brand down substantially. I do appreciate select models, and love my 111 (wear it multiple times per week), but this new "eSteel" stamp was a bad move.
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 10:51 PM   #48
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg18 View Post
I love Panerai. However, the only thing holding me back from adding the 233 that I have wanted for a very long time is the direction the brand is heading. They seem to be pumping out a watch for everyone! Want a blue, black, white or green dial? We got them in almost every style! Want that same watch that's too big for you in 44 but in 42? Done! This is fine from a certain perspective, something for everyone, sure. However, it just seems they're trying very hard to please everyone, and giving up their "DNA" in the process.

They are becoming more of a fashion brand these days in my perspective and to me it is watering the brand down substantially. I do appreciate select models, and love my 111 (wear it multiple times per week), but this new "eSteel" stamp was a bad move.
My reading of the situation is the same as yours but my conclusion is different. I don’t particularly care where the brand is heading because I don’t care for the new watches. I care where the brand came from so consequently my interest lies in the older watches. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an older model that interests me, that’s where the value is
Old 19 May 2021, 11:40 PM   #49
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
I can only offer my humble opinion as a watch collector of about 7 years. I've always liked the brand and found it to be somewhat addictive, like Omega and Rolex are for many. I got up to 5 at one point but have now settled on a 388 (was up to 6 Rolex and now down to 1, still have 4 Omegas).
I do feel the brand has had some hiccups, largely due to their own mis-steps. I've always considered them a notch below Omega, and more of the Breitling/Tag caliber.
Also do seem to be heavily faked, like Rolex but probably less so. Seems like both a compliment to the brands appeal, and dig at the ease of replicating.
Cheers
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 03:25 AM   #50
itsjknight
"TRF" Member

Personally, after 25 years of collecting Rolex and Panerai I find them on equal ground. Back about 10 years ago I would even rate Panerai fit/finish above Rolex.

If I could only choose one watch it would be a Panerai.
itsjknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 03:38 AM   #51
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjknight View Post
Personally, after 25 years of collecting Rolex and Panerai I find them on equal ground. Back about 10 years ago I would even rate Panerai fit/finish above Rolex.

If I could only choose one watch it would be a Panerai.

^^^I agree. Quality and build construction of Panerai takes a backseat to no one. Owners of Panerai are by far more likely to be genuine interesting enthusiast and not some vapid wallet flexer. As much as I like my Rolex models, I find a undeserved arrogance about the Rolex brand that is very off putting. Rolex is a great brand but not near what the hype and heavy Koolaid drinkers want to believe. In turn they put down other brands for their own fairytale validation. I guess this all stems from needing to maintain the optics of a high street value so the house of over priced cards doesnt fall?? IDK?
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 06:00 AM   #52
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Owners of Panerai are by far more likely to be genuine interesting enthusiast and not some vapid wallet flexer.
^^^ this.

At luxury home audio/theater shows I report on I may try striking up a conversation with....... and the Panerai guys pretty much always are knowledgeable and fun. Even the recent guy with TSA saw it while going through security and we had a wonderful conversation about models, straps, etc.

Wearing Rolex at a luxury audio event, usually they have no idea other than, well, it's a Rolex (though some are Father's hand-me-down and that is conversational, though, ummm, usually less happy).

Old 23 May 2021, 03:48 AM   #53
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
you can find good deals from trusted sellers without worrying about authenticity , i would go for it if you can find something you like and wear

jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 10:55 PM   #54
gmtobsessed
"TRF" Member

Still loving my 111, and its indeed my fun watch. I don't really care for their new watches though nor their perceived brand image these days.
gmtobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 11:18 AM   #55
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Unique horological brand that still stands out from the herd with its unmistakable timeless design. That Italian flair is always in their DNA allows them to push the envelope of materials and models making them a very exciting brand. Build quality and fit and finish is absolutely top shelf. Panerai is not for the conservative herd mentality of buyer and they never were.

You either get what Panerai is all about or you don’t. Unfortunately those that don’t get it tend to be newbies that like to talk trash about the brand but that is becoming a badge of honor considering where the talk is coming from. Every now and then I get into a in-depth discussion of Panerai in-house movements, real world performance, etc..with these people and that’s where they tend to show their ignorance. I am just happy that the carpet baggers are picking at the Rolex bones instead of the Panerai these days taking the Panerai brand back to the Paneristi enthusiast.

Panerai still has its high profile presence in film, pro sports and entertainment.

Well said!! BTW, your comments and pics of your Carbotech has got me (repeatedly) looking at purchasing that exact model. I love that they're different and use unique materials etc.

ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 07:46 AM   #56
Llamathurst
"TRF" Member

I like mine. Was my daily for about 5 years. Doesn't keep time as well as Omega or Rolex, on par with Glasshutte Original, but not bad. People comment on it more than my other watches. I haven't babied it (working on cars, yard work, construction projects) one service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DaxPhotography-1688.jpg (173.4 KB, 441 views)
Llamathurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 01:24 PM   #57
swink6112
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Robot Watch
You wear a watch for "you". Not for others. So who cares how it's viewed.
swink6112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 02:24 AM   #58
RUSH2689
"TRF" Member

Watch: Recon
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
You're in Vegas and there are two parties:

Rolex
Panerai

Which party would you attend?
This is absolutely the best way to phrase it.

I know which party I would be headed to
RUSH2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 03:17 AM   #59
djnick
"TRF" Member

PAM has the best lume in the game and the legibility is so much better than any rolex I own
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 04:44 PM   #60
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Best 2 hander
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3F71D548-84FD-4C62-863B-01BDC936FE34.jpeg (120.9 KB, 245 views)