The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 June 2021, 06:00 PM   #1
Master_Grogu
Banned

Why you absolutely need to see the watches in context to know if you enjoy them

As I was playing a video of my favorite youtuber, which is 100% unrelated to Rolex or any kind of wristwatch, I found a fascinating segment about colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh4aWZRtTwU

I will admit 20 minutes is a commitment nowadays, so I understand if you guys don't watch it. It stays, however, an excellent explanation at how colors are nothing without context.

For a long time I found CHNR to look weird and kinda ugly, until I tried it myself. I then discovered a subtle, elegant and luxurious watch. I knew about the various quality of displays, and that on some computers, your blue is not my blue. But I have high end displays with excellent colour accuracy, so I figured my eyes were miring images close to the reality.

I was very, very wrong. While you sometimes have people saying "Yes, the sub LB wasn't my cup of tea but I saw it and it's better.", you often have the complete switch like I did from "Yuk!" to "Take my money" with CHNR.

If you don't want to watch the video, I will just synthesise the big reveal of it.

Brown is just orange with context. And for this reason you need to see it in the flesh because no light can reproduce it properly.

With that said, I have an AD to visit and a watch to try!
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 09:44 PM   #2
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I've gone through maybe 25 watches that even after looking at them in person, I eventually sold them because they just didn't excite me anymore.

So I agree you have to see them, fell the weight, see how they look on the wrist before buying but even then after a bit of time you still may not love them all that much. And dials with "different" colors are even tougher to necessarily live with.

I guess that's why there is a huge used market for watches. People fall out of love with them.
Old 12 June 2021, 09:01 AM   #3
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Agreed that skin tone is important. Some people have warmer undertones (and can wear YG) and others are cool (so silver/SS/WG is better). Hair color, eye color, etc. also play a role in what colors look good on each of us.

Because of the composition of Rose gold, I think it’s very important to try it on first before taking the plunge. I absolutely love how it looks in photos, but on me, with my coloring, it looks “meh.” I tried on a Rose gold DD in Vegas a few years ago. It was a stunning watch in the display case, and I really wanted to love it, but on my wrist it looked washed out. I do have a Rose gold bracelet that obviously is a different alloy than Rolex’s alloy, because it does look good on me.

I far prefer the look of my silver dial SS DJ to the Rolex RG. Again, I wish it weren’t so, because Rolex makes some gorgeous RG watches.

Interestingly, with a TT watch, the SS outer links are a good visual buffer, and the YG center links pop and look great.

With my coloring and skin tones, I’m certain I couldn’t pull off an olive or green dial YG watch.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 08:40 PM   #4
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
Agreed that skin tone is important. Some people have warmer undertones (and can wear YG) and others are cool (so silver/SS/WG is better). Hair color, eye color, etc. also play a role in what colors look good on each of us.

Because of the composition of Rose gold, I think it’s very important to try it on first before taking the plunge. I absolutely love how it looks in photos, but on me, with my coloring, it looks “meh.” I tried on a Rose gold DD in Vegas a few years ago. It was a stunning watch in the display case, and I really wanted to love it, but on my wrist it looked washed out. I do have a Rose gold bracelet that obviously is a different alloy than Rolex’s alloy, because it does look good on me.

I far prefer the look of my silver dial SS DJ to the Rolex RG. Again, I wish it weren’t so, because Rolex makes some gorgeous RG watches.

Interestingly, with a TT watch, the SS outer links are a good visual buffer, and the YG center links pop and look great.

With my coloring and skin tones, I’m certain I couldn’t pull off an olive or green dial YG watch.

This! I’m a pretty pale cat. YG and RG look terrible on me unless in TT with the buffer. Otherwise it’s SS or WG. I also have a capsule wardrobe, and the results are similar. The bulk of items are blue, grey, white, khaki, with the occasional loud color because I’m obnoxious like that.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote