The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 May 2021, 03:31 AM   #31
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Depends on your personal style, and your intent for wearing the watch. The Breitling is much more classic in style and can be worn in a variety of scenarios. The Bulgari is a sleek, almost avant-garde fashion-style watch (with respectable horology); less versatile, but very cool.

If it were to be my one and only watch, I'd choose the Breitling. If it were to be added to an existing collection, Bulgari hands down. Best wishes
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 04:10 AM   #32
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^^ well said, agreed.

OP if you already have the typical round case style, the Bvlgari brings diversity and fun. The movement is very impressive imho.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 05:45 AM   #33
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Breitling , much better watches.
Old 12 May 2021, 10:11 AM   #34
Dubaiguy7
"TRF" Member

This

While i was leaning to choose Breitling, i think i would say that i am impressed with how you have explained it. Thabk you brother was really helpful to read you review.
Dubaiguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:12 AM   #35
Dubaiguy7
"TRF" Member

This

While i was leaning to choose Breitling, i think i would say that i am impressed with how you have explained it. Thabk you brother was really helpful to read you review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Those are two very different candidates you are contemplating there.

The Breitling is a solid industrial watch, executed to the standards of something that’s made as well as industrial mass production will allow. It has a classic design that draws heavily from more original pieces, without being very original itself. It has a few interesting complications, but again, nothing that hasn’t existed in that combination for a long time, at many brands. It is no doubt a pretty watch altogether, the look is cool. But it is very « standard ».

The Bulgari is in a different league in terms of watchmaking. It has an ultrathin movement with a finer finish than the Breitling, but less functions of course. On top of that it has an entirely original design that traces its roots to Genta himself.

So it’s like comparing a fully tricked out John Deere tractor to an entry level Aston Martin. Both will run you about 160k, one has a cool color, many functions, is solid and rugged but otherwise looks like many other tractors, the other is dainty and fragile, much more refined, handmade in several respects and has an unmistakable design, regardless of the color you chose it in.

And you should also consider this: the Bulgari is the best watch available on the market if you’re going for that particular design, whereas the best watch available if you’re going for the design of the Breitling is a 5270p001... and that makes the Breitling look a bit blunt in comparison, despite the solid quality it undoubtedly comes with. It’s emulating the style, and doing so well with the means available within its price range, but it can never reach the stellar heights of the original.

As much of a Breitling (and John Deere) fan as I may be, I would go with the Bulgari between those two.
Old 12 May 2021, 10:14 AM   #36
Dubaiguy7
"TRF" Member

Yess, i think i would choose adding to an existing collection so OCTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
Depends on your personal style, and your intent for wearing the watch. The Breitling is much more classic in style and can be worn in a variety of scenarios. The Bulgari is a sleek, almost avant-garde fashion-style watch (with respectable horology); less versatile, but very cool.

If it were to be my one and only watch, I'd choose the Breitling. If it were to be added to an existing collection, Bulgari hands down. Best wishes
Old 12 May 2021, 10:15 AM   #37
Dubaiguy7
"TRF" Member

My heart says Octo, since its unique in shape and the thin case so i think i will go to Bulgari.. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post
"Which brand has more respect in the watch industry" is in my opinion the wrong question.

Which watch do you prefer is all the matters.

I have found myself in a similar quandary weighing up a Hublot Classic Fusion vs a Breitling Chronomat.

Everything in my head says the Breitling is the "better" watch - in house movement, heritage, popularity amongst WIS etc etc.

But I like the Hublot more.

Go with your heart not your head and forget what other people think.
Old 12 May 2021, 10:17 AM   #38
Dubaiguy7
"TRF" Member

If i choose to to with OCTO, definitely i would go with the black dial as yours. U have changed my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefeater21 View Post
These watches are so different, I think you'll end up with both! I picked up the Octo last year as my daily wear, and it's been great - well balanced, slides under every cuff with ease, etc. Now, I've just bought a Zenith El Primero to get something a bit different with visual interest, but not quite as out there in case shape as the Octo.

That said, for a daily, I do love the Octo. Thin and works in every setting.
Old 12 May 2021, 10:18 AM   #39
Dubaiguy7
"TRF" Member

I looked at JLC last week, i think its boring except the reverso!! Bery classic pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
I feel like if I wanted a complete calendar I would buy JLC rather than Breitling, Octo is truly original both in design and used movement, not a big fan of these too big dressy Breitlings.
Old 12 May 2021, 10:19 AM   #40
Dubaiguy7
"TRF" Member

I just noticed when you said about the silver dial! I think you’r right that if i go with Octo i should choose black dial since the contrast plays nicely to the eye!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post
I like the Bulgari but if I was getting one would go with the black, as the silver hands on silver dial on steel bracelet is perhaps a bit too industrial and lacking contrast. It would be an acquired taste. It has a good slim profile and the version with a black dial posted above is probably a lot more versatile as a daily wearer than the unconventional / non-round case shape might imply.

If you've already got some other, non-salmon dial watches, a salmon dial seems like a nice addition if it suits your style. I struggle to like a lot of Breitling models though, they are often too big or have too much going on. On this model, the overall size at 42mm is not bad, but they don't really have enough space for everything they are trying to do at the size they're trying to do it. I think having most of the arabic numbers interrupted by the subdials is simply annoying.

I think I would choose the black dial Bulova over the silver dial, and I would also choose the Breitling over the Bulova silver dial, but really I would choose neither.

As everyone else says, please forget what has more 'pedigree' and buy what you like the best. They are both from mainstream brands with some history and a similar price point, it's not like you are comparing a Patek with a quartz fashion brand.
Old 12 May 2021, 10:20 AM   #41
Dubaiguy7
"TRF" Member

SUPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Here's the blue dial version, love it and she is durable plus keeps great time.

Attachment 1220613
Old 12 May 2021, 10:49 AM   #42
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
These watches are so different. If it were me dato.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 04:46 PM   #43
Exiztence
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiguy7 View Post
I looked at JLC last week, i think its boring except the reverso!! Bery classic pieces
I completely agree but had to mention it as JLC is higher "horology. I quite liked the analogy with car brands, I would say that the Datora is more of 3 or 5 series in top specs with all bells and whistles while the Bvlgari is probably more like Lotus, you dont get stuff like 360 camera etc. but damn if it isnt nice. As people said completely different watches, I think it is nice that Bvlgari offers 5 years warranty as well as Breitling does (thought Breitling requires check ups every 2 years for it to not void if I remember).

Anyway here is mine:
Exiztence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 04:49 PM   #44
unknown
"TRF" Member

Bvlgari is the better brand or at least more haute horlogery. That said that Breitling is a very nice watch.
For the Bulgari I would take another dial, black or blue

so probably this

Old 13 May 2021, 03:12 AM   #45
beefeater21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiguy7 View Post
If i choose to to with OCTO, definitely i would go with the black dial as yours. U have changed my mind
Glad to be of service!
beefeater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 03:56 AM   #46
Pouring2010
"TRF" Member

I think the Octo is an iconic piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pouring2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 07:33 AM   #47
Dubaiguy7
"TRF" Member

Glad to see this and certainly in looove with the black dial.
Great piece brother thank you for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
I completely agree but had to mention it as JLC is higher "horology. I quite liked the analogy with car brands, I would say that the Datora is more of 3 or 5 series in top specs with all bells and whistles while the Bvlgari is probably more like Lotus, you dont get stuff like 360 camera etc. but damn if it isnt nice. As people said completely different watches, I think it is nice that Bvlgari offers 5 years warranty as well as Breitling does (thought Breitling requires check ups every 2 years for it to not void if I remember).

Anyway here is mine:
Old 4 June 2021, 02:08 PM   #48
Justindo
"TRF" Member

These are two very different watches so it really depends on your style. I see the Octo as something that a black turtleneck clad Silicon Valley type would wear while the Breitling is much more traditional. I couldn't fault someone for choosing the Octo but, the Breitling is more my style. Still, it's rather thick and isn't a true in-house movement. (I'd go for the JLC Master Chronograph instead.) I'm considering the smaller and slimmer pistachio dial Breitling, particularly if I can pick it up in a year with the typical big Breitling discount.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 11:06 AM   #49
leet4358
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41
Late to the party but Octo all the way. I stressed over the octo a lot due to my small wrists but after trying it on and wearing it I fell in love. I went for the ceramic but the steel ones all look great.
leet4358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 11:23 AM   #50
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
I just saw the Breitling in person today…beautiful!
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote