The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 May 2021, 04:53 AM   #1
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Took the plunge on an iPad Pro

I finally decided to purchase an 11 inch iPad Pro with cellular for personal web surfing, go pro video editing, travel, etc.

I debated on getting a Mac air, but I don’t do much on my personal laptop, so thought this was the best route.

Any input on apps, etc.? Any reviews of the new pro?
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 05:05 AM   #2
Brew
"TRF" Member

I have been considering replacing my old MacBook Air with a new iPad. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on your decision, when you have min or two, if you can share them. Thanks!
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 05:14 AM   #3
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Highly recommend the Magic Keyboard, the technology has come a long way.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 05:43 AM   #4
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
So a cool product!! I want one, one day.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 05:59 AM   #5
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
Highly recommend the Magic Keyboard, the technology has come a long way.
That’s in the package too I forgot to mention! Crazy price for a keyboard...but every review I saw said it’s essentially a must if you want it to dual as a mini PC
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 12:31 PM   #6
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
I just ordered the 11” Pro yesterday hoping it ships soon I know Apple is suffering from chip shortages like everyone else right now.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 12:53 PM   #7
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Get the pencil. I’ve had one and barely ever used it because the apps it worked in were limited and mostly specific to things I don’t do much of - draw. But now the pencil works in many apps, you can use it to browse, I can hand write even in here and it turns to typing. Glad you have the keyboard as it’s a must too. I’ve had mine for over a year, maybe almost two, and the letters are starting to wear off on the frequently used keys... kind of disappointing.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 01:10 PM   #8
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I almost did it the other day. The keyboard and pencil combination is really cool and gives you a tablet and laptop since you have a trackpad. In the end, I decided to get a new iMac 24 since I do more desk work (at office or home most of the time) but they're so cool I may eventually get an iPad Pro too
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 01:41 PM   #9
CashGap
"TRF" Member

I could change my workflow and adapt 100% for iPad Pro. I have it yet, but I expect, soon I will.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 01:53 PM   #10
-dustin

I just got a 4th gen Air and wasn’t impressed enough with the Magic Keyboard to shell out for it.

Then I found it on Amazon for $199. New, prime eligible. So I grabbed it. So far, I’m fairly impressed. Big jump from where the keyboards were 6yrs ago. And paired up with a Magic Mouse, this thing gets more daily use than the M1 MacBook Air I’ve got.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 10:17 PM   #11
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I have the 11 2020 pro cellular. Not a full laptop replacement. Files app works still clumsy compared to OSX. However for almost all hick ups is a work around.

Truth be told I hardly use my MBA anymore. I am a frequent traveller and the portability combined with the battery life makes it worth it.
Without the magic keyboard it would be a no go.
Old 26 May 2021, 11:33 PM   #12
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Absolutely love my iPad Pro 11". Not the newest model, but I use it all the time. My son took my magic keyboard for remote learning so I'm stuck with the older portfolio keyboard for now. It suffices, but the magic keyboard is much better.

I use mine as an extension of my desktop computer to work on files in iCloud, as well as for media consumption. I really like where Apple is headed with the smoothening transition from using macOS and iOS interchangeably. Next up, I'll either get a Mac Mini or iMac to replace my 2016 MBP (which I use as a desktop machine in clamshell with a monitor now). These M1 chips are a game changer.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 11:35 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I have the 11 2020 pro cellular. Not a full laptop replacement. Files app works still clumsy compared to OSX. However for almost all hick ups is a work around.

Truth be told I hardly use my MBA anymore. I am a frequent traveller and the portability combined with the battery life makes it worth it.
Without the magic keyboard it would be a no go.
Good to know. I’ve been looking for an alternative to traveling with a laptop
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 12:21 AM   #14
-dustin

for the curious - iPad with 11" Magic Keyboard and a 13" M1 MBA:

This will be the first time that I'll travel often with work. And I'll likely end up taking both till I get comfy working only on the iPad.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 12:50 AM   #15
selpo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I have the 2020 version of ipad pro 12.9 with the magic keyboard and apple pen- use it to remote into work via citrix- very happy with what it can do. Also great to keep you occupied during travel.
selpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 10:01 PM   #16
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Absolutely love my iPad Pro 11". Not the newest model, but I use it all the time. My son took my magic keyboard for remote learning so I'm stuck with the older portfolio keyboard for now. It suffices, but the magic keyboard is much better.

I use mine as an extension of my desktop computer to work on files in iCloud, as well as for media consumption. I really like where Apple is headed with the smoothening transition from using macOS and iOS interchangeably. Next up, I'll either get a Mac Mini or iMac to replace my 2016 MBP (which I use as a desktop machine in clamshell with a monitor now). These M1 chips are a game changer.
Yes. Getting a lot of good reports on the M1.
Old 31 May 2021, 01:45 AM   #17
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Yes. Getting a lot of good reports on the M1.
I am blown away by the performance and battery life with the M1 on my 13” MBA. Consequently, I am now looking at the 11” Ipad Pro.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 02:05 AM   #18
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
I was inspired by your post so I ordered one up yesterday. Should be here tomorrow.
Old 31 May 2021, 02:56 AM   #19
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Apple fanboi here. Very impressed with even the base configuration M1 Mini. Still use the iPad Pro 12.9 for most everything except for intensive photo editing.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 02:58 AM   #20
GeoffEff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I am blown away by the performance and battery life with the M1 on my 13” MBA. Consequently, I am now looking at the 11” Ipad Pro.

This is my exact situation as well. I’d ideally get a iPad pro if it could fully replace my M1 MBA. Maybe later this year I’ll be able to fully make due. Just need a platform switch at work to happen first in October. I really hope iPad OS 15 gives us full screen external monitor support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Explorer 39mm 214270 --- Sub 41mm 124060 —-
GeoffEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 03:10 AM   #21
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
If you have a pre M1 IPad Pro this might be interesting. https://www.kensington.com/innovativ...ts/studiodock/
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 06:07 AM   #22
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
I was recently reading an alumni magazine (University of Wisconsin-Madison) and an ad for the University Bookstore caught my eye. Little did I know they were an official Apple store and I could have been getting educational discounts on all my Apple gear by ordering through them with alumnus status. Could have saved hundreds on orders when I refreshed all my Apple gear late last year.

Worth investigation for you college grads who maintain connections to your old campus and are Apple fans.
Old 31 May 2021, 10:35 AM   #23
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
I was recently reading an alumni magazine (University of Wisconsin-Madison) and an ad for the University Bookstore caught my eye. Little did I know they were an official Apple store and I could have been getting educational discounts on all my Apple gear by ordering through them with alumnus status. Could have saved hundreds on orders when I refreshed all my Apple gear late last year.

Worth investigation for you college grads who maintain connections to your old campus and are Apple fans.

Hmm…. I see. I’m going to need to look into that.

I can also save a few bucks buying through my wife’s company……but never have. I’m up for a tech refresh right about now but have to insure certain software will be able to run so it may be an i9 MBP 16 with boot camp.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 11:38 AM   #24
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
I got one a few months ago and at first it was hard without a home button now I love it
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 01:49 PM   #25
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Love the previous 11 inch pro. I was shocked how good the keyboard case is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 10:00 PM   #26
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
I have the last 10.5” iPad Pro model. Just not a laptop replacement. I also own the Magic keyboard as I couldn’t pass up a new one for $150 knowing sooner or later, I will buy a 11” Pro model to replace my 10.5”. Anyway, used a decent Logitech Slim keyboard case but wasn’t a good laptop replacement. Newer iPad Pro models will be better at that.

I ended up buying the lastest MacBook Pro 13” with an Intel i5, 1TB SSD, and 16GB. Can’t beat paying $1450 with AppleCare+. Perfect for everything I do that requires non-gaming horsepower with decent battery life.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2021, 02:22 AM   #27
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Ok, this thing is awesome. The magic keyboard is next level as someone who has never really been a fan of external keyboards on tablets. Haven’t messed around too much with the pencil thingy yet (that’s what she said).

Old 2 June 2021, 03:20 AM   #28
ttomczak

Watch: The Beach
I had an older 10.5 pro, and the 2018 12.9 pro.

Traded both in and got the 12.9 M1, for about 200 bucks. Apple was offering a great deal…

Not that much in the way of OMG it’s better, but it’s future proofed for a few years, and I use it for almost everything. I rarely use my windows laptop any more.

I love the center stage camera for meetings.

Magic keyboard is nice, it needs function keys, but if you have one, check out YouTube for tips and tricks.

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 12:02 AM   #29
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Finally bit the bullet on the Pro as well. I was torn between this and the Air. 512 is what I need and the scrolling refresh on the Pro was so freaking smooth I couldnt say no!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote