The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 3 May 2021, 12:53 AM   #31
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
At my worst I was at 18. Now sitting pretty at 6 with one or two more I'm on the waitlist for. After many many years of this I keep finding that 6-8 is the sweet spot, for me.

+1 on this. I was always looking at five but Basel,SIHH, or Watches and Wonders releases break my concentration.
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 05:18 AM   #32
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I have a couple pieces I do not wear that often but there are events or times I know they would be my go to piece. If for example I am going hiking or somewhere out in nature for a few days-- prefer to take a less expensive piece.
In addition, while some of the high end pieces I have are water resistant to quite deep waters---- I prefer to wear a Muhle Glashutte piece that I rarely wear otherwise when swimming. With that said, there are a few pieces I did not wear often and they did not have a special niche-- and I sold them. I do regret selling a couple of them.. I re purchased a Lange timezone 1 -- albeit the newer model recently. Thus the first time I re-purchased a watch model I had previously sold.

I would also say that there are watches I may not wear for a few months and rekindle the relationship after a period of time and think-- glad I did not sell that one. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
how do members think about keeping ones that they dont wear that often
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 07:13 AM   #33
GolfJunkie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Quote:
Some i barely wear, but challenging to sell also.

What are thoughts about keeping pieces that are hardly worn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
How do you feel about them being hardly worn?
Separation anxiety here...
Old 4 May 2021, 12:00 AM   #34
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have accumulated quite a few nice pieces. Some i barely wear, but challenging to sell also. How does one decide when enough is enough? What are thoughts about keeping pieces that are hardly worn? Not looking at pieces as an investment, and hard to decide how many pieces are enough. I thought 2-3, but now Im at 9. Any advice on how to go through this journey?
I was in the same predicament as you, fortunately my wife and her legal team made it easy for me sell it all at a loss and give her half the cash. We sold off a mint Milgauss z-blue for $4K to "her" trusted jeweler.

But divorce aside, I always like to keep n-1 watches in a collection. It forces you to think about what you really want- I'm less prone to FOMO- flurry of Hulk threads = I have to have it = 3 months later sell it for a loss.

When i had several, I genuinely liked all of them. It would take me at least a year to figure out what I want. Often it's easy for me to find something I like, but the rest of the time was reflecting on flipping a current model to make room for the new one. Usually that argument fell flat on its face.
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 02:46 AM   #35
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
+1 on this. I was always looking at five but Basel,SIHH, or Watches and Wonders releases break my concentration.
I know this pain. Just when I think my plan is all set, FPJ releases something I can't live without, or Moser does the Streamliner. Etc.

As has been previously mentioned I think I will have to cap myself somewhere between 6-8 and then use a 1 in 1 out model. Ask me in two years if I had the courage.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 02:54 AM   #36
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I'm at three, and I'm thinking that is a sweet spot for me. Still need a winder.
a man with two watches is never really sure.
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 09:13 AM   #37
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I have been selling most of my collection over the last 2 years. Trying to narrow it down to about 4 watches. I am almost there.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 09:30 AM   #38
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
My suggestion would be not to have a box with too many slots, I have one with 10 slots (but only 6 watches in it) and each empty slot feels like an open invitation to buy another watch. Not good, I’m really thinking about buying a smaller box just for this reason.
I hear there is a 6-12 month wait on a 6 piece box' sueded up on cushions
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 09:35 AM   #39
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I think for me 9 is the Least I can do, one for everyday of the week plus a weekend change up. Problem is I float from 20-7, up and down time and time again. This forum doesn’t help and either does the release of new products
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2021, 01:42 PM   #40
Justindo
"TRF" Member

It's really up to the individual but nine watches is not that many, in my opinion. I was at around 20 and I thought about trying to consolidate to around 15 or so but I'm now currently at around 25, although now I'd maybe like to go back down to around 20. I honestly can't fathom those who have a three to five watch collection, as that would be just too limiting for me. When one considers brands, complications, dial colors, metals, and straps, the fewest I could manage would probably be around a dozen, but I'd prefer a few more. There is definitely some overlap in my collection but if I were to go below 20, I would definitely miss some of the pieces. I will say that once one gets above 20 or so, it starts to get out of hand but I think it's manageable. What I don't get is people who have a 50+ watch collection.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2021, 08:26 PM   #41
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
i have my engagement watch, a gift from my in-laws and my two pateks one going to each kid so 4 that i can't/won't sell. in addition to that i try to keep it at 2 or 3 more, so once i go beyond 7 or 8 i sell what i don't wear. the losses i take on them sometimes is more than makes sense selling them but realistically i never would wear them anymore so they go.
Very similar boat. Have a few that sentimentality does not allow disposal of. Then I try to keep it at 3-4 more where I can establish some semblance of rotation. I’ll eat some losses if I’m not extracting value/pleasure with one or more of the 3-4 in rotation (or lack thereof).

I’ve been leaning towards consolidation in quantity for singular quality. Example: taking a couple Rolex watches and trading towards acquiring an ALS, Patek or AP of interest.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2021, 09:12 PM   #42
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
7 is the right number. Scientifically speaking.
How about any multiple of 7? So, 14, 21, 28. I really hope Science approves of that.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2021, 10:20 PM   #43
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
How about any multiple of 7? So, 14, 21, 28. I really hope Science approves of that.

I believe he's referring to one for each day of the week.
Old 6 June 2021, 01:18 AM   #44
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:

31 is approved too

Borrowing from velominati’s #12th rule of cycling, the correct number of watches one must own is n+1, where n is the number of watches currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of watches owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post

Yes I was
Old 6 June 2021, 01:47 AM   #45
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
But that's so limiting, and who only wears one watch per day, anyway? By noon I've usually changed watches at least once.
Old 6 June 2021, 01:56 AM   #46
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
31 is approved too

Borrowing from velominati’s #12th rule of cycling, the correct number of watches one must own is n+1, where n is the number of watches currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of watches owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Yes I was
Velominati's 12th rule was always one of my favorites for just that reason, no limitations, and since my partner is often making off with one of my watches to use in trade for one she wants, s-1 has no application.
But I think you've provided, through the Laws of Mathematics, the final word regarding the OPs question.
Old 6 June 2021, 01:54 PM   #47
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Velominati's 12th rule was always one of my favorites for just that reason, no limitations, and since my partner is often making off with one of my watches to use in trade for one she wants, s-1 has no application.
But I think you've provided, through the Laws of Mathematics, the final word regarding the OPs question.

Ah, a fellow follower of the code! I’ve found rules 5 and 12 to be most versatile, for life in general.
Thank you, a win for math over science.
Old 7 June 2021, 12:59 AM   #48
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
I have over 30 now and it just become another....

Still appreciate them however not like 10 years ago when the hunt and plan for an acquisition was so gratifying!!!!

For some collectors it becomes hoarding lol
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2021, 09:23 AM   #49
MrBlahBlah
"TRF" Member

Currently at 10. I think 6 is the sweet spot for rotation and wrist time purposes, but I just like what I have so F-it I don’t wanna sell! That’s how I feel today though, tomorrow could be different if something new is released or falls to me ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrBlahBlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2021, 11:07 AM   #50
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

00b6512989945db0f3c94602dee56c09.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2021, 11:17 AM   #51
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

There is a lot of discussion here around an "appropriate" number. To quote Simon Sinek, start with your "Why". Why do you collect? What is the core reason you enjoy watches? What do you value; design, technology, investment, brand, history, or something else? Your values should frame the content and volume of your collection.

Next, what brings you joy about each watch in your collection? If any watch does not bring you joy when you put it on, maybe it shouldn't be part of your collection.

The "right" number of watches in a collection probably varies from individual to individual. If you feel a need to wear your watches (as I do), then a collection that is sized to your ability to give each piece necessary wrist time is appropriate. If, on the other hand, you acquire because of interest, then the number is limited only by your interests and resources.

Unless money/investment is a core value of your collecting, don't overthink this part. If owning a particular watch doesn't make you happy, move it along. Even if investment is a core value, remember that investors sell both gains and losses.

I think that the key is happiness, which is unique to each collector. Our hobby should give us satisfaction, not dissonance.
athens7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2021, 11:20 AM   #52
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
I currently have 6 and that seems a bit much. I want to sell my JLC but will take a significant hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm looking for a Reverso at the moment; what have you got that's burning a hole in your collecting pocket?

Yes, I know it's a thread hijack, but we only learn by asking, right...?
athens7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 08:00 AM   #53
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by athens7 View Post
I'm looking for a Reverso at the moment; what have you got that's burning a hole in your collecting pocket?

Yes, I know it's a thread hijack, but we only learn by asking, right...?

A Grand Duo Date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 06:18 AM   #54
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Trying so hard to get it at 5 but brands keep launching beautiful pieces. Currently at 7 and on two waitlist. I do have four forever watches and feel like I might get close to the end game. I know, famous words! This is the ideal world.
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 07:51 PM   #55
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athens7 View Post
There is a lot of discussion here around an "appropriate" number. To quote Simon Sinek, start with your "Why". Why do you collect? What is the core reason you enjoy watches? What do you value; design, technology, investment, brand, history, or something else? Your values should frame the content and volume of your collection.

Next, what brings you joy about each watch in your collection? If any watch does not bring you joy when you put it on, maybe it shouldn't be part of your collection.

The "right" number of watches in a collection probably varies from individual to individual. If you feel a need to wear your watches (as I do), then a collection that is sized to your ability to give each piece necessary wrist time is appropriate. If, on the other hand, you acquire because of interest, then the number is limited only by your interests and resources.

Unless money/investment is a core value of your collecting, don't overthink this part. If owning a particular watch doesn't make you happy, move it along. Even if investment is a core value, remember that investors sell both gains and losses.

I think that the key is happiness, which is unique to each collector. Our hobby should give us satisfaction, not dissonance.
Problem is, I've been asking myself that question for over fifty years, "why do I collect?". Haven't come up with a satisfactory answer, yet.
Old 12 June 2021, 11:21 PM   #56
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So, I would go for 365 and +1 for leap year
llngoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 11:25 PM   #57
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
Trying so hard to get it at 5 but brands keep launching beautiful pieces. Currently at 7 and on two waitlist. I do have four forever watches and feel like I might get close to the end game. I know, famous words! This is the ideal world.
I told my wife and AD that either a MP or a Tourbillion will be my end game. I guess I will never stop
Old 13 June 2021, 12:06 AM   #58
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I told my wife and AD that either a MP or a Tourbillion will be my end game. I guess I will never stop

Some end game action.
Old 13 June 2021, 03:29 AM   #59
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Some end game action.

The blue dial is nice. Not a skeleton type personally
Old 13 June 2021, 03:35 AM   #60
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member