The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 8 May 2021, 06:42 AM   #1
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Panerai PAM01118 TRON First Impressions / Pics

Love it or hate it or love it Paneristi purists, TRON is here and looks great! Love the lighter weight and the velcro strap fits my thin/wide top 6.75" wrist wonderfully. Seems comfy enough for a strap, plus Panerai includes a black rubber strap with flat black buckle plus the typical tool.

She's new, so hard to directly compare to the highly-used / travelled PAM01033 GMT with 9011 movement, yet changing the hour seems a bit more mechanical. There's no stop seconds in the 9010 Evolution movement, so you'll have to put a bit of back-pressure on the crown if you want to set the time accurately. The auto-winding rotor is a bit noisy, yet normal for modern bearings.

The flat black sunburst dial looks really beautiful and it helps in easily reading the time. The lume looks whitish with a hint of green under normal light for desk jockeys. Yet go outside in the sun and the lume looks like a cream color with a light green tint.

Of course the main 'feature' of the Panerai PAM01118 TRON is the lume. And WOW what lume it is too! Into sun, then out of the sun into desk jockey-land the Arabic numbers and five-minute marks are green, yet the words "Luminor Marina" and lower "Panerai Automatic" look white-ish in color.

BUUUUUT, go into a fully-darkened room and all things on the dial seem to glow the same green color, so there's something interesting about a dark room versus lit room and how the lume glows.

Lume threading on the nylon band is kinda weirdish. Under UV flashlight the green illumination of the dial and the nylon band threading looks the same color. probably the same at dance clubs under typical club lighting. The moment you remove the UV light, the luminous threading on the nylon strap greatly decreases in illumination / light output and looks (faded) white.

She'll be a daily beater for a while, and have more pics I want to do over the weekend. Overall am VERY happy. Thanks Bob at Panerai in Naples FL for all you do. Great guy and highly recommend stopping into his Panerai Boutique if you're in the area.

Inner_Box.jpg

1118_Wrist.jpg

1118_Front_Glow.jpg

NOTICE the band threading color change while under different lighting. The color-match is with UV light active, the non-matched color is directly after UV light is removed and a few seconds of time has passed.

Wrist_Glow.jpg

Dial_Glow.jpg

PS: Copyright added to pics because over the decades I've had online pics 'stolen' and used to sell (possibly fake) timepieces.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 06:47 AM   #2
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Panerai PAM01118 TRON First Impressions / Pics

Great review SR - glad she’s finally in your hands. I received a new one from Bob today as well - 1305.

PS Can we please see more of the presentation box? Thanks!

all_in_the_pamily on IG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 06:58 AM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats, yeah Bob is wonderful to work with. Always happy to help, here's the inside of the presentation box.

Presentation_Box.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 8 May 2021, 07:00 AM   #4
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Congrats, yeah Bob is wonderful to work with. Always happy to help, here's the inside of the presentation box.

Attachment 1219887

Thanks! Love the lid. I believe only the TRONS are arriving in those boxes.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

Old 8 May 2021, 07:42 AM   #5
ShougekiMaru
"TRF" Member

Stunning!!! Congrats!

ShougekiMaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 08:51 AM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Congrats, looks really great in your photos.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 09:37 AM   #7
Blunt Instrument
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Use it in good health.
Any success removing the case back and taking photos of the movement? ;)
Blunt Instrument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 09:49 AM   #8
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunt Instrument View Post
Congrats! Use it in good health.
Any success removing the case back and taking photos of the movement? ;)

^^^this^^^

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 8 May 2021, 10:01 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Mmmaybe at some point :)

We should wait for Panerai to disclose tho, no need to steal their tremendous thunder of their revolutionary 9010 Evolution movement. Am sure it has......... LOL.

Ya know, I finally realized after discussion with watch friends that Panerai is really a fashion brand. Ok, now with a twist of recycled electrons and 3D printing cases. As long as the movement works to spec it may as well be a Stellita or ETA movement inside like Bell&Ross and many others. Ming is doing good work too.

Besides, if I wanted a nice movement to look at Omega, TAG Heuer, Bvlgari, etc for the same price or less would be a good choice. I did get the PAM01033 GMT for the fashion, GMT / seconds reset features, and nice movement, yet it's about half the price of the 1118. Maybe the 01033 with 9011 movement will be the last of its kind as Panerai pivots to basic durability and higher prices?

Old 8 May 2021, 10:09 AM   #10
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Lol. I could do the same with my 1305, but it’s not happening. I did get an answer from Panerai management regarding the changes but it was, to be honest, pretty boilerplate lingo. My hunch is that the hacking mechanism could cause problems down the road with the 8 year warranty. While hacking is nothing new it is a relatively brutal function…simply a lever slamming into the balance wheel to stop it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 8 May 2021, 10:20 AM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah, I figured as much since durability and low-cost servicing is key for long-term cost-saving measures on these 70 year pieces. So yeah, it's really TRON fashion with a movement that Panerari can fix and maintain with little cost / effort. Maybe Panerai plans to just movement swap like Bell&Ross does? This way any future movement substitution can be called a 9010 _____.

So yeah, my friends got me to realize Panerai is what it is. To expect more is unrealistic, yet do agree getting a reliable movement greatly helps versus their more troublesome efforts.

Old 8 May 2021, 11:13 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Weight of 1118 on included black rubber strap with clasp versus 01033 on same strap:
105 grams versus 146 grams

Old 8 May 2021, 11:20 AM   #13
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
[QUOTE=enjoythemusic;11440100]Mmmaybe at some point :)

We should wait for Panerai to disclose tho, no need to steal their tremendous thunder of their revolutionary 9010 Evolution movement. Am sure it has......... LOL.

Ya know, I finally realized after discussion with watch friends that Panerai is really a fashion brand. Ok, now with a twist of recycled electrons and 3D printing cases. As long as the movement works to spec it may as well be a Stellita or ETA movement inside like Bell&Ross and many others. Ming is doing good work too.

Besides, if I wanted a nice movement to look at Omega, TAG Heuer, Bvlgari, etc for the same price or less would be a good choice. I did get the PAM01033 GMT for the fashion, GMT / seconds reset features, and nice movement, yet it's about half the price of the 1118. Maybe the 01033 with 9011 movement will be the last of its kind as Panerai pivots to basic durability and higher prices?

Not sure I would agree that Panerai if a fashion brand. I guess some models may lean in that direction. I collect older references that for me are more in the robust tool watch that one can strap on and wear. In many years of ownership with numerous Panerai I have not had service issues and they keep excellent time.

Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 11:47 AM   #14
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Love it. Could not care less what others consider fashion or not - that is just sweet. Congrats!
lig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 11:53 AM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joearch View Post
Not sure I would agree that Panerai is a fashion brand. I guess some models may lean in that direction. I collect older references that for me are more in the robust tool watch that one can strap on and wear. In many years of ownership with numerous Panerai I have not had service issues and they keep excellent time.
Great timepieces, bravo!

Maybe I got a bum 01033 as she's been to service. It's weird, the first few days she is erratic in accuracy and then settles down. Have a feeling it's the stop/reset seconds mechanism causing the problem. Also have a Panerai 641 table clock with P.5000 eight-day movement and she's been a solid performer. Looove love love the table clock!

You have some sweet timepieces

Old 8 May 2021, 11:53 AM   #16
SWS65SM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rainbow....CasiOak
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OG Beef View Post
Thanks! Love the lid. I believe only the TRONS are arriving in those boxes.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

Right, it's kind of neat Panerai made the top of the presentation box look like this for the TRON watches, as they glow in the dark too. I didn't bother to check if the lume from the box matches the watch, maybe Steven can follow up on this later lol his pics are pretty good.
SWS65SM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 12:28 PM   #17
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

A most humble thanks SWS65SM, yet these pics are just cell ph so not using my Sony full-frame setup/lenses. Guess I'm getting lazy in my old age LOL

WOW, I never knew the box lit up too..... THANKS!!!

Box 'lume' is not as bright as the TRON timepiece, and the box top darkens rather quickly-ish. i wish Paneri offered a wall clock that glows like they have at PAM Boutiques, yet make it 18" x 18" or 24" x 24" in size.

Box_Top_Glow.jpg

Old 8 May 2021, 03:43 PM   #18
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
this watch looks fantastic in party mode.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 04:05 PM   #19
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
this watch looks fantastic in party mode.
Agreed :)

Here's a bottle I've been saving for quite some time waiting for TRON to show up. Turn the music up too!

1118_McIntosh.jpg

Old 8 May 2021, 04:18 PM   #20
SWS65SM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rainbow....CasiOak
Quote:
A most humble thanks SWS65SM, yet these pics are just cell ph so not using my Sony full-frame setup/lenses. Guess I'm getting lazy in my old age LOL

WOW, I never knew the box lit up too..... THANKS!!!

Box 'lume' is not as bright as the TRON timepiece, and the box top darkens rather quickly-ish. i wish Paneri offered a wall clock that glows like they have at PAM Boutiques, yet make it 18" x 18" or 24" x 24" in size.
So curiosity kicked in and I pulled out the box for another look, indeed not the same lume and nowhere near the intensity of the watch.

And i think like you said, depending on type of light source and maybe even the duration of exposure, the 3 rows of letters on the dial and the line on the crown guard lever (maybe even the crown) would show a different lume color than the rest of the watch case.

We are on the hills and it gets pretty dark at night, people can spot it from really far away. This would be a good (but rather expensive) jogging watch for after hours. Hope you enjoy yours!

SWS65SM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 04:40 PM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Great pic and observation about the lume color too. The Dom P pic shows variations in green. Interesting trick for the center wording too.

BTW, the spring bars are verrrrry thick and colored black, thus there's no need for the usual metal tube/sleeve within the band. Is this something new too?

Old 8 May 2021, 06:18 PM   #22
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Great pic and observation about the lume color too. The Dom P pic shows variations in green. Interesting trick for the center wording too.

BTW, the spring bars are verrrrry thick and colored black, thus there's no need for the usual metal tube/sleeve within the band. Is this something new too?
my 1616 also has the black springbar, I think all carbotechs have this type of springbar, specific to the lug holes..
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 10:11 PM   #23
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Congrats on the new torch. That Carbotech is going to spoil you for other watches. The fat spring bar is a necessity for the Carbotech lugs. It provides additional strength and is what all Carbotech cases use. I have a few back-up sets of spring bars from Panerai. Over a year now and I have not detected even a scratch on the inside of my lugs from changing straps. I am too gonna disagree about the Panerai fashion watch comment. Don’t let your friends feed you that idea. Let’s not confuse advanced proprietary material as a fashion statement. I could go into details why that “fashion watch theory” is bunk but its not necessary now. You are gonna love the new Carbotech on the rubber.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 10:18 PM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations on the lume king Steven, great watch
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 11:29 PM   #25
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks everyone and am indeed loving the TRON. Changed bands a few times and not a single scratch, Carbotech rocks! Lower weight is a welcome change too, though there are times I want to wear the 01033 GMT on PAM bracelet for the bold look and massive heft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The fat spring bar is a necessity for the Carbotech lugs..... Don’t let your friends feed you that idea. Let’s not confuse advanced proprietary material as a fashion statement. I could go into details why that “fashion watch theory” is bunk but its not necessary now. You are gonna love the new Carbotech on the rubber.
Yeah, you're right of course. For years have been a big fan of 3D printing and other high-tech goodies. And your also right, Carbotech with rubber strap is sooooo comfy

Old 9 May 2021, 12:42 AM   #26
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone and am indeed loving the TRON. Changed bands a few times and not a single scratch, Carbotech rocks! Lower weight is a welcome change too, though there are times I want to wear the 01033 GMT on PAM bracelet for the bold look and massive heft.

Yeah, you're right of course. For years have been a big fan of 3D printing and other high-tech goodies. And your also right, Carbotech with rubber strap is sooooo comfy
Mine has become so important in my collection it really can’t be replaced. It really could be my one and only with a few straps. I feel I have become a Carbotech forum ambassador.

FYI, there is a beautiful metallic ping sound from the ticking P9010 movement that the Carbotech amplifies like a acoustic guitar body. Place the crown cam lock toward your ear and you can’t miss it.

Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 08:45 AM   #27
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Congrats Steven. Awesome picts. Love that Lume!

Looks to me like a wearable, functional watch with style. And makes me consider P for my next watch purchase. Would be interested in an update after you have worn it a while.

Take care.
Old 9 May 2021, 02:41 PM   #28
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Congrats!!
Interesting watch
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 04:31 PM   #29
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Congratulations!

Wear it in good health
Old 9 May 2021, 11:49 PM   #30
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks again everyone. She is a TORCH at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Congratulations on the lume king Steven, great watch
A most humble thanks. Last night was the first night I slept (during a 48 hour period) and charged the lume via UV. Upon walking into the dark bedroom she illuminated my walking path quite well.

Impressive. Most impressive (oops, wrong sci-fi flick quote LOL)

Sure it's the brightest lume to date, yet this morning the lume was still 'more active' than the PAM desk clock or the 01033 GMT. So it's brighter and lasts longer with higher output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
FYI, there is a beautiful metallic ping sound from the ticking P9010 movement that the Carbotech amplifies like a acoustic guitar body. Place the crown cam lock toward your ear and you can’t miss it.
As a percussionist/drummer, I errrrr, ummm... 'get off' on hearing the ticking rhythm / movement sounds. You are right, this baby makes a glorious sound!

On another note, if you tap the watch it makes a bit of rattling too, like a loose rotor yet am sure all is fine inside. Accuracy has been ~+1.5 seconds/day.

TRON has a fun personality.

I love fun timepiece