The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 June 2021, 12:00 AM   #1
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

One Bag and Minimalist Travel Fans???

As a decades-long travel minimalist, I have spent the last few years struggling with the baggage intensive trips occasioned by a family of four with two young girls. The days of simply walking on and off a plane or train with everything on my back were distant memories. Now the kids are old enough that they can carry their own gear, it is time to get back to traveling simply and light!

Over the years, my travel kit has been pared down dramatically. My wife, even more so. No longer does she feel the need to pack five pairs of shoes, a straightening iron and bottles of her preferred hair products.

My personal tricks include:

1. Minimal electronics: IPhone, Airpods Pro and a kindle are about it. I also take a very small, AA battery panasonic electric razor that has been awesome.

2. Lush Shampoo and soap bars. One bar cut into two parts handles four of us for a week when we choose to stay at private apartments.

3. Minimal clothing that can wash and dry overnight.

4. A packable duffle that can be checked on for the return flight. I usually plan our departure city to be from a shopping mecca for the wife so she can spend the last day filling up a check-on bag with local finds. Looks like we will bring two for the girls on this trip.

I would love to hear other trips from the seasoned travelers on the forum here.

What works for you? Especially for family travel?

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 12:10 AM   #2
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I wish.

I only do Hawaii twice a year usually but I still need a large suitcase because I travel with a pillow that I concocted. I got vertigo maybe 10-15 years ago and after dozens of trial and error "cures" I found that sinus rinse and a special pillow seemed to solve the problem. So I gotta travel with the damn thing.

Minimalism didn't work for me. And vertigo is a nasty thing.

I'd love a backpack and 2 T-shirts and shorts but it ain't in the cards.
Old 12 June 2021, 12:15 AM   #3
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
We are perennial over-packers; I'm the type that will pack 6 pairs of boxers for a weekend trip...and double that for these crazy kiddos.

I also like to have options for wear when we travel, so minimalistic packing is not in the cards for us (unfortunately).
Old 12 June 2021, 12:30 AM   #4
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
In five years of backpacking around Asia, my rule was:”if in doubt, leave it out.”
Old 12 June 2021, 12:32 AM   #5
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I wish.

I only do Hawaii twice a year usually but I still need a large suitcase because I travel with a pillow that I concocted. I got vertigo maybe 10-15 years ago and after dozens of trial and error "cures" I found that sinus rinse and a special pillow seemed to solve the problem. So I gotta travel with the damn thing.

Minimalism didn't work for me. And vertigo is a nasty thing.

I'd love a backpack and 2 T-shirts and shorts but it ain't in the cards.
Feel your pain on this one! I have GERD and always need my torso elevated. The first thing I do upon check in is to find extra pillows or blankets to build up a ramp I can sleep on. Getting old sucks.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 12 June 2021, 12:32 AM   #6
Brew
"TRF" Member

For a long time I flew out every Monday, home on Friday. Always with 1 bag, but no family. When I took up shaving with a straight razor and had to check my bag anyway, my travel-light discipline suffered.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 12:38 AM   #7
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
We are perennial over-packers; I'm the type that will pack 6 pairs of boxers for a weekend trip...and double that for these crazy kiddos.

I also like to have options for wear when we travel, so minimalistic packing is not in the cards for us (unfortunately).
A discussion of the dreaded “options” came up with my brother this weekend. His wife insists on bringing two outfits for each day which requires a 25” case packed to the gills for even a one week trip.

My brother developed a shoulder impingement two years ago and cannot lift her bag anymore. Since she refuses to travel without options, they have cancelled all major travel plans until his pain gets so bad he gets surgery.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 12 June 2021, 12:40 AM   #8
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrricks View Post
In five years of backpacking around Asia, my rule was:”if in doubt, leave it out.”
Mine, developed from years of backpacking, is “If I didn’t need it on the last trip, it doesn't go on the next one.”

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 12 June 2021, 12:41 AM   #9
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
For a long time I flew out every Monday, home on Friday. Always with 1 bag, but no family. When I took up shaving with a straight razor and had to check my bag anyway, my travel-light discipline suffered.
My desire to bring a knife with a corkscrew is the main internal fight I have to check a bag. End up buying a cheap one on arrival. Now I have about 10.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 12 June 2021, 12:47 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Same

Sorry Jason, wish I could help you.

Our family of four (sounds like similar ages) requires 4 large suitcases, 4 carry on’s and we each have a back-pack. Granted our trips are usually 2-3 weeks long but still… it’s alot

My only pro tip is to pack that carry on with what you absolutely need to travel for a couple of days in the event your checked bags don’t arrive.

This has happened multiple times to me over the years for whatever the reason
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:15 AM   #11
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

The only reason I don’t mind packing extra is it has been helpful when we are somewhere and have to shop for something we didn’t bring.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:22 AM   #12
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

On the rare occasions I travel alone, I one-bag it with a Tom Bihn shoulder bag and all the packing cubes. This is typically for a short trip, and is blissfully simple.

My wife and I travel internationally all the time for a week or two with just one medium checked bag and one carry-on size roller. I usually have a small backpack for camera stuff, and she carries on a purse. We could get away with just one bag, but it's the shoes that are the killer if we want to bring stuff for nice dinners.

When we travel with the kids, we use 2 medium size checked bags. Usually we stay somewhere with a washer/dryer so we don't need much. My wife has a purse and the kids and I each have a backpack. My younger kid is definitely not a minimalist and carries his iPad, Nintendo switch, Nintendo 3DS and a million chargers, filling out the backpack with headphones and 2 stuffed animals. Cracks me up but it works for him!
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:26 AM   #13
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Touring, 2 up on a motorcycle teaches you, good, 'economic packing' habits.

.....the joys of going solo, being one of 'em!

Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:31 AM   #14
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Touring, 2 up on a motorcycle teaches you, good, 'economic packing' habits.

.....the joys of going solo, being one of 'em!

I can imagine. I did a 6 day hut to hut bike packing trip a few years ago that involved over 20,000 feet of climbing. Definitely had to shave down to the bare essentials.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 12 June 2021, 01:32 AM   #15
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
When we travel with the kids, we use 2 medium size checked bags. Usually we stay somewhere with a washer/dryer so we don't need much. My wife has a purse and the kids and I each have a backpack. My younger kid is definitely not a minimalist and carries his iPad, Nintendo switch, Nintendo 3DS and a million chargers, filling out the backpack with headphones and 2 stuffed animals. Cracks me up but it works for him!
He sounds like my 6-year-old.

Kids...
Old 12 June 2021, 01:44 AM   #16
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Three weeks in Hawaii with a tiny Wilson gym bag. Two linen shorts, a few briefs, tees, cell phone, charger, belt, leather sandels.

Turns out I could have done it on one / two of each. Every day was the same. Eggs, rice, ham, papaya. Hike makai (mah-kigh), loop my sandels onto my belt, swim a mile, don the sandels back on to cross coral, sun in a very remote spot. Repeat in reverse. By the time I am mauka (mow-kah), my clothes were dry. Ver' hungry. Eat local, sleep deep. Repeat in the morning. And for three weeks.

Those famous leather sandels, had them 'forever'? Even got a cobbler to remove the buckles when one connection point broke, and sew the heel strap in place [six bucks - what a value!] ... A most dear friend, when newly dating, didn't notice when one fell out of my rubbish-shrewn truck as she jumped in ...

There were a group of guys [5] doing a 3-month round-the-world trip with even less. Fella I was speaking with had an even smaller duffle with only one shirt in it.
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:46 AM   #17
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
My wife and I did a 10-day Greece trip (Athens, Santorini, & Mykonos) back in 2016 before kids. We each carried a small Euro-size carryon suitcase and a messenger bag. I think we were washing underwear in the sink with Dr Bronner's peppermint soap, HAHA! The key was finding clothes and other items that were multi-purpose, like the Dr Bronner's soap. On that Greece trip, I ended up buying a cheap pocket knife to carry around that I could then toss at the end without feeling guilty.

I travel to DC for work every once in a while and can usually get by for a week with only a carry-on and a backpack.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:47 AM   #18
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I can imagine. I did a 6 day hut to hut bike packing trip a few years ago that involved over 20,000 feet of climbing. Definitely had to shave down to the bare essentials.
Yep. Once you’ve carried too much on a bike, you definitely learn your lesson.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:51 AM   #19
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperry View Post
Three weeks in Hawaii with a tiny Wilson gym bag. Two linen shorts, a few briefs, tees, cell phone, charger, belt, leather sandels.

Turns out I could have done it on one / two of each. Every day was the same. Eggs, rice, ham, papaya. Hike makai (mah-kigh), loop my sandels onto my belt, swim a mile, don the sandels back on to cross coral, sun in a very remote spot. Repeat in reverse. By the time I am mauka (mow-kah), my clothes were dry. Ver' hungry. Eat local, sleep deep. Repeat in the morning. And for three weeks.

Those famous leather sandels, had them 'forever'? Even got a cobbler to remove the buckles when one connection point broke, and sew the heel strap in place [six bucks - what a value!] ... A most dear friend, when newly dating, didn't notice when one fell out of my rubbish-shrewn truck as she jumped in ...

There were a group of guys [5] doing a 3-month round-the-world trip with even less. Fella I was speaking with had an even smaller duffle with only one shirt in it.
Simpatico, mate!

I got out of the airport in Maui on my first trip there and my buddy, who arrived a few days earlier, asked me where my bag was. On my shoulder!

I could still spend two weeks on Maui with nothing more than would fit in a small underseat backpack. Only problem now is my wife wants me shaved and dressed up at least a couple of times.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 12 June 2021, 01:55 AM   #20
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Yep. Once you’ve carried too much on a bike, you definitely learn your lesson.
Thank God the hut system had a beer delivery service!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 12 June 2021, 02:17 AM   #21
77T

Quote:

3. Minimal clothing that can wash and dry overnight.

I can’t explain why this reminded me of a 10 year old story I recalled seeing.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...panties-to-fly

I won’t post the pic as it’s NSFW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 02:40 AM   #22
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cannot unsee that!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 12 June 2021, 04:51 AM   #23
sickened1

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

And I thought it was either Paul or Jocke in that pic!
sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 06:42 AM   #24
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
packing cubes are a life saver when traveling minimally. I am not very organized, but when I pack everything goes into a bag or container.
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 06:52 AM   #25
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Medium Tumi duffle, Tumi backpack……I only go to Kauai from California, 2 weeks. All I need are t shirts, board shorts for day…..aloha shirts & shorts for the evening.
Old 12 June 2021, 07:07 AM   #26
Stud Screw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233
Packing light is not an option for me, as my vacations have been known to last several weeks. Sometimes whole months.

“Better to have thunk wrong than not thunk at all.”
Stud Screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 07:16 AM   #27
bremersm
Banned

To be honest I have always been a two bag traveler. A suitcase or weekender and a laptop bag. When I started flying more for work I got really tired of the overhead bin dancing in the aisle so I started checking luggage. Not the most popular option but it works for me. Even when traveling for work I am not in a hurry.
bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 09:41 AM   #28
kearez
"TRF" Member

I travel frequently for work. Have done over 80 days this year so far. Roller board to fit the overhead bin, and a backpack. I use a weekender for short 2 day trips.

Roller board I can fit enough clothes for about 10 days then will utilize hotel laundry. Includes shirts, trousers, shorts, gym t shirts, etc Toiletry bag goes in the backpack along with a quarter zip and all the required electronic items.

Girlfriend on the other hand needs a roller board and a checked bag. She wants multiple outfits whichfor any occasion. As an idea we heading to SXM and she already has about 7 dresses picked out for dinner for a 5 day trip. Plus another 6 outfits for during day and multiple bikinis.

I also refuse to check a bag, last week I had to departing out of Europe, took me over an hour to pick it up at my destination.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 09:55 AM   #29
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Only problem now is my wife wants me shaved and dressed up at least a couple of times.
Ha! You know why thery call it a punch line, right? Your wife will punch you into line! Been there!

BTW, what the horses was I thinking [sp]? Sandels? Sandals ...
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 11:23 AM   #30
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I’m exactly the same way. Overnight trip, 3 pairs of underwear. 3 day golf trip at least 8 pairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote