The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 August 2020, 07:30 AM   #1
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Watch: and be amazed.
Kayak disappointment... "Rant"

Many of you may have seen my previous post about my incoming kayak. It didn't go as planned. This is kind of a two fold rant...

Initially I ordered my kayak on 6/20 and received a delivery date of 7/28. I called the company that I purchased it from and was reassured that the delivery date was accurate. Based upon this information, I scheduled some vacation time and made reservations (non refundable) for a couple of days out of town with my girlfriend. The kayak didn't show up. A "shipping delay" occurred was all I could get from the company. The delivery was rescheduled for today.

For the last week, I have been checking the tracking and all seemed to be going well. At 1 a.m. this morning, the tracking said " On vehicle for final destination".... then it happened... At 3 a.m. I had a bad feeling.... I checked the tracking and a big red screen popped up and said "Undeliverable - Order Cancelled". I immediately called their customer service and was told that a catastrophic failure had occurred. When I pushed for clarification, I was told that it was not secured properly and came off the truck, and was run over by another vehicle.

With the demand right now for outdoor equipment, they said they wouldn't be able to replace the order for 12 to 16 weeks, so they just cancelled the order. Everything is out of stock everywhere. I am more than a bit frustrated. I have wasted time, money and vacation days with nothing to show for it. I have spent several hours now looking for a replacement... none to be found so far.

*sigh*
Old 6 August 2020, 07:36 AM   #2
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

That is very frustrating and sorry to hear. I feel that with the delivery demands up the handling of objects has gone very poorly. I had 2 of the same bed damaged during each shipment. Had to just cancel the order.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 08:12 AM   #3
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

That sucks. You can always ask for people higher up in the company. Ask for supervisors and managers. Be relentless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 08:13 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
This proves that if you're inactive and fat life doesn't disappoint.

It'll arrive.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 08:19 AM   #5
THC

Watch: 16610M
Wow, sorry Paul

All merchants need to contact David SW on how to ship merchandise.. unparalleled excellence
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 08:26 AM   #6
Old Farmer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
That would make me as crany as all hell. The transport company will have it isured though, get them to find a replacement and add your costs to the claim
Old Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 08:30 AM   #7
SDREW22
"TRF" Member

Watch: TOG
Terrible story.

If you are in a pinch check CL, Marketplace and Ebay. I have found several canoes this summer and have out them to use.
SDREW22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 08:33 AM   #8
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Do you know anybody that you could borrow a kayak from at least for your vacation?
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 08:46 AM   #9
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Do you know anybody that you could borrow a kayak from at least for your vacation?
x2

Or, with your destination being good for kayaking, surely there is a shop from which you can rent one for your trip?

Not ideal, but better than nothing?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 09:07 AM   #10
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
That sucks, sorry to hear that OP
Polarexplorerii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 09:32 AM   #11
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

That blows man, I'm so sorry to hear of your misfortune. Getting anything shipped these days is hit or miss, especially hard to get items. We ordered an inflatable raft to use as a little trolling boat, and it took this very circuitous route all around us before heading to our home a week late. And forget about anything shipping internationally, items that once took 5-7 days now take over a month in some cases.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 09:36 AM   #12
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Truly first world problem.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 09:40 AM   #13
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
That blows man, I'm so sorry to hear of your misfortune. Getting anything shipped these days is hit or miss, especially hard to get items. We ordered an inflatable raft to use as a little trolling boat, and it took this very circuitous route all around us before heading to our home a week late. And forget about anything shipping internationally, items that once took 5-7 days now take over a month in some cases.
Depends how you ship. I use DHL a couple of times a week from HK to the US, and often shipments get there in less than 48 hours, and never more than 72. USPS is much less reliable though, and I stopped using it (EMS) recently.

Back on subject, we have a new kayak but can't get paddles locally, which is perhaps even more annoying than no kayak at all
Old 6 August 2020, 09:43 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Depends how you ship. I use DHL a couple of times a week from HK to the US, and often shipments get there in less than 48 hours, and never more than 72. USPS is much less reliable though, and I stopped using it (EMS) recently.

Back on subject, we have a new kayak but can't get paddles locally, which is perhaps even more annoying than no kayak at all
We have a saying here in our parts ... up sh*t creek without a paddle
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 09:45 AM   #15
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
We have a saying here in our parts ... up sh*t creek without a paddle
Yup, been saying that a lot lately
Old 6 August 2020, 10:09 AM   #16
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
That sucks. You can always ask for people higher up in the company. Ask for supervisors and managers. Be relentless.

Accidents happen, absolutely sucks, but the 12-16 additional weeks it what really pushes it over the edge for me. I'd be seeking a resolution from a higher authority. I hate to say it, but they should pull an order placed after yours to complete yours. The entire situation is just unacceptable, someone should be held accountable other than just telling you - oops.

As for the non-refundable reservations, just call and tell them you have a slight cough and fever, but you are really looking forward to your stay.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 10:16 AM   #17
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Sorry, Spectre. Try to have a good time anyways, yeah? I mean, if the Global Association of Retro Grouch Curmudgeons gives you a little time off and permission, of course.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 10:25 AM   #18
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Bummer.
Old 6 August 2020, 10:44 AM   #19
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post

Yes that's true. My recent experience was via USPS. I just couldn't bear to pay a $25 expedited shipping fee on a $99 device the size of a TicTac container

Bummer about your paddle situation by the way.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 08:38 AM   #20
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Well, after an exhaustive search I have located another kayak. It's a different brand, a factory blemish and not exactly what I wanted... but do to the current demand and lack of supply my choices are extremely limited. I decided to take it.

I placed the order yesterday for the new boat and received a confirmation. Today, I received a call saying that the kayak that I ordered was mislabeled and that it was a smaller model than what was stated.

They did however, have one that a customer had special ordered but not paid for. Apparently they put down a 10% deposit but had not paid for it and were two weeks past the deadline. I was offered the special order ( custom color graduating from black on the stern to red, pastel blue, purple then a pinkish and upgraded seat ) for the price that I had already paid for the factory blemished model. It is definitely not the color that I would have chosen, but that's not a deal breaker ... It's definitely a unique color combo that I won't confuse with any others that I have seen.

I pick it up on Saturday... I decided not to risk having it shipped.
Old 7 August 2020, 08:42 AM   #21
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre38 View Post
Well, after an exhaustive search I have located another kayak. It's a different brand, a factory blemish and not exactly what I wanted... but do to the current demand and lack of supply my choices are extremely limited. I decided to take it.

I placed the order yesterday for the new boat and received a confirmation. Today, I received a call saying that the kayak that I ordered was mislabeled and that it was a smaller model than what was stated.

They did however, have one that a customer had special ordered but not paid for. Apparently they put down a 10% deposit but had not paid for it and were two weeks past the deadline. I was offered the special order ( custom color graduating from black on the stern to red, pastel blue, purple then a pinkish and upgraded seat ) for the price that I had already paid for the factory blemished model. It is definitely not the color that I would have chosen, but that's not a deal breaker ... It's definitely a unique color combo that I won't confuse with any others that I have seen.

I pick it up on Saturday... I decided not to risk having it shipped.
That whole mess sounds terribly disappointing. Great job making the most of it and getting to a fix you can live with.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 09:10 PM   #22
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Kayak disappointment... "Rant"

Insane. Your original post where it fell off the truck and was run over my another vehicle

Did the company that cancelled your order at least do a little extra for you ? Adidas couldn’t deliver on a pair of ultra boosts I ordered so they not only refunded me but gave me $20 off anything else I wanted which I thought was a nice touch

Glad you finally got everything worked out. I love kayaking as well, a great workout
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 09:20 PM   #23
SearChart
TechXpert

That sucks, sorry to hear.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 10:04 PM   #24
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Did the company that cancelled your order at least do a little extra for you ? Adidas couldn’t deliver on a pair of ultra boosts I ordered so they not only refunded me but gave me $20 off anything else I wanted which I thought was a nice touch
They did, they gave me what I consider a pretty generous credit toward a future purchase of gear or accessories ...on top of the refund.
Old 7 August 2020, 11:11 PM   #25
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre38 View Post
They did, they gave me what I consider a pretty generous credit toward a future purchase of gear or accessories ...on top of the refund.

That’s a suitable response for the inconvenience, I’d definitely do business with them again. Hassles happen but everything worked out
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 01:19 AM   #26
kearez
"TRF" Member

USPS is a nightmare, I had three items shipped in July, only received two. The last item is still in transit now for a month.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 01:50 AM   #27
77T

Well the alternative kayak should make the trip a success, and scare the fish as well.

Now be sure YOU lash is down for the return from the shop - and during your vacation.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 02:35 AM   #28
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I had a package take 40 days to get from Chicago to Buffalo (8 hour drive). I assumed it was lost. Fedex smh