The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 August 2020, 02:46 AM   #1
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Are Rolex handmade?

So on Long's Jewelers website and other AD's websites, there is the following message about Rolex model availability:

Model Availability
All Rolex watches are assembled by hand with the utmost care to ensure exceptional quality. Such high standards naturally restrict Rolex production capacity and, at times, the demand for Rolex watches outpaces this capacity.
Therefore, the availability of certain models may be limited. New Rolex watches are exclusively sold by Official Rolex Jewelers, who receive regular deliveries and independently manage the allocation and sales of watches to customers.
Long's Jewelers is proud to be part of the worldwide network of Official Rolex Jewelers and can provide information on the availability of Rolex watches.

Is the assembled by hand the same as handmade?
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 02:57 AM   #2
timlaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Coke 16710
depends what you are comparing Rolex to i suspect

compared to say a Patek Philipe not so much but to most other brands pretty much similar

if you mean every component of the movement is hand made then no - you have to remember rolex make 1 million watches a year so they cannot be hand made the way a patek is when they make a fraction of the watches that rolex do - hence more man hours = higher price (much)

124060 Submariner, 16710 Coke, 16570 Black dial, Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial, Tudor Black Bay GMT, Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue, Tudor Black Bay 58 925, Tudor Prince Date Chronograph (panda dial)
timlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 02:58 AM   #3
NorthWest
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
So on Long's Jewelers website and other AD's websites, there is the following message about Rolex model availability:

Model Availability
All Rolex watches are assembled by hand with the utmost care to ensure exceptional quality. Such high standards naturally restrict Rolex production capacity and, at times, the demand for Rolex watches outpaces this capacity.
Therefore, the availability of certain models may be limited. New Rolex watches are exclusively sold by Official Rolex Jewelers, who receive regular deliveries and independently manage the allocation and sales of watches to customers.
Long's Jewelers is proud to be part of the worldwide network of Official Rolex Jewelers and can provide information on the availability of Rolex watches.

In a word, no.
NorthWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 03:01 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .

No, it is not the same.

Rolex has sophisticated machinery that ensures precision in machining and aligning certain parts, and ensuring torque and pressure is precise.

Final assembly of movements and watches is done by hand, with some processes being machinery operated by hand.
Old 5 August 2020, 03:07 AM   #5
zjd168
"TRF" Member

the short answer is no
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 03:21 AM   #6
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Virtually everything is machine made and then hand assembled.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 03:33 AM   #7
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Model Availability

Yes, handmade but made by robot hands!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 03:47 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Model Availability

Rolex watches are mass produced thats a simple fact and today to those who think that mechanical watches are produced by hundreds of little elves, restlessly filing, smoothing, grinding, polishing watch parts. And that they are made by grey-haired little old watchmakers, sitting bent at their tables for countless hours, somewhere in the Swiss mountains afraid they would be vastly mistaken. Sure there is still a small percentage with the hands on approach but look at the past COSC tested figures 750000- 900000 watch movements a year now around 800000 plus ts passed a year.But as only the bare uncased movement is tested at the COSC no winding rotor module date wheel,now these could be added to the movement to be finished by hand later.This was a past much advertised Rolex quote it takes 12 months to make a oyster this is what advertisement tries to sell us, but IMHO its light years away from reality.

IMHO in today's,watch production world its now primarily an issue of engineers,computer techs, and metallurgists,various technicians,and specially trained workers.Once you have the design and tooling for vast production you can make them by the many thousands. And as the parts are robot machine made, in theory they should be all the same much more easy to get a first time pass rate at COSC,than a movement thats completely hand made, too many variables with a completely hand made movement and just think of the huge extra time cost.IMHO the traditional watchmaking part is all but now the very last thing in modern day mass watch production today.And then only when the movements are fully assembled in case and adjusted and finally checked again on timing machine before packed and shipped world wide.

Quote from a past magazine.

Rolex launches its large-scale construction the goal of the new Rolex building project is to contain the entire watch movement making process to one building. Most of the parts distribution and much of the movement manufacturing process is totally automated by robotics.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 03:55 AM   #9
GBD
"TRF" Member

Not even close to being hand-made, but some final assembly occurs by hand. I don't think this is a bad thing - Rolex's automation, and the quality they are able to maintain at such a massive scale, are really impressive.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 03:57 AM   #10
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

All the parts, cases, movements, etc., all the various pieces are machine made but mostly hand assembled with some assist from robots.

I have always appreciated these products and I think there is nothing else quite like it. A lot of great quality product for the money... Just my opinions
Old 5 August 2020, 04:06 AM   #11
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
More than most but less than others. If a machine can do it better a machine will be used. I read that somewhere.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 04:10 AM   #12
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
More than most but less than others. If a machine can do it better a machine will be used. I read that somewhere.
I just read that too. Also, in the manufacturing process, machines deliver parts to human watchmakers cutting down on time spent looking for parts I guess...
Old 5 August 2020, 04:11 AM   #13
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

We must organize a TRF expedition to the Rolex Factory sometime!!!
Old 5 August 2020, 06:32 AM   #14
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
No, it is not the same.

Rolex has sophisticated machinery that ensures precision in machining and aligning certain parts, and ensuring torque and pressure is precise.

Final assembly of movements and watches is done by hand, with some processes being machinery operated by hand.
This.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 06:32 AM   #15
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
No, it is not the same.

this
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 07:21 AM   #16
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
The most impressive angle, IMO, to Rollies being "hand assembled" is that the bracelets are hand assembled using a template. Thats a lot of bracelets!
Old 5 August 2020, 08:10 AM   #17
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I knew it; elves, all done by elves. Thanks for clearing that up for me!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 08:12 AM   #18
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Knowing that elves assembled my Rolex makes it more special than my PP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 08:28 AM   #19
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I wonder how many hours of labour are needed to assemble a simple piece like say an OP.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:30 AM   #20
snok
"TRF" Member

I don't think it is completely machine made. Might include little hamdworks too
snok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:36 AM   #21
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The photos of the Rolex factory always show lines of people working at counters on the watches. Obviously, most of the parts are machine cut but I would most of the assembly of the movement is done by hand.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:47 AM   #22
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlaw View Post
depends what you are comparing Rolex to i suspect

compared to say a Patek Philipe not so much but to most other brands pretty much similar

if you mean every component of the movement is hand made then no - you have to remember rolex make 1 million watches a year so they cannot be hand made the way a patek is when they make a fraction of the watches that rolex do - hence more man hours = higher price (much)
I wonder about this with the more “entry level” pateks. The movement has better finishing for sure, and I have read Patek hand assembles. But I wonder comparing in actuality is patek making the materials all inhouse from scratch the gold, ss, etc. are they making their own crystals, and each movement part truly from scratch, getting rawhide tanning it and stitching all in house. I wonder being inside the facility how actually different patek is from how Rolex makes their watches (obviously I know patek makes far less watches). Not talking their grand complications.

but I sometimes wonder if it a matter of scale. People assume there are less people working there and they are making less watches. Rolex I’m sure had far more watchmakers.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 01:04 PM   #23
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

There is a fabrication facility at my workplace.
Frankly, machines can turn out a better product than a human that earns >$130/h.
bay-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 02:32 PM   #24
Snake Plissken
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
I wonder about this with the more “entry level” pateks. The movement has better finishing for sure, and I have read Patek hand assembles. But I wonder comparing in actuality is patek making the materials all inhouse from scratch the gold, ss, etc. are they making their own crystals, and each movement part truly from scratch, getting rawhide tanning it and stitching all in house. I wonder being inside the facility how actually different patek is from how Rolex makes their watches (obviously I know patek makes far less watches). Not talking their grand complications.

but I sometimes wonder if it a matter of scale. People assume there are less people working there and they are making less watches. Rolex I’m sure had far more watchmakers.
The key difference is the finishing. You aren't going to have the same perfect attention to detail with a Rolex because that's the step in the process that requires so much time.

I'm sure Patek doesn't make their own inputs like gold, leather, etc. but that's not really important IMO.
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 07:57 PM   #25
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
Could they not turn the speed dial on the big watch making machine that makes their watches to max speed so they can turn out a few more Daytona's, GMT's and Sub's? Or even just leave it running overnight.

Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:41 PM   #26
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
The key difference is the finishing. You aren't going to have the same perfect attention to detail with a Rolex because that's the step in the process that requires so much time.

I'm sure Patek doesn't make their own inputs like gold, leather, etc. but that's not really important IMO.

I agree with you, but I think despite the companies vast difference in size, many aspects are likely highly similar between the two companies.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 01:20 AM   #27
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I knew it; elves, all done by elves. Thanks for clearing that up for me!!!
I met one of the Rolex Elves, in a bar, in Basel, last year.
She, was wearing a Grand Seiko.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 04:07 AM   #28
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
No, it is not the same.

This.
There's no such thing as a "handmade" watch today, not the ones we see in shops at least, and not if you want accuracy and top notch quality in micro details.
However, if you are looking for handmade and assembled like they do traditional shoes and bags still to this day, that type of watch will usually cost upwards of six figures from the likes of George Daniels or Phillippe Dufour.

When it comes to micro mechanics and details, the Horology world benefits most from technology. People throw a tizzy because there Rolex crown doesn't line up to their liking on an $8k watch, can you imagine the amount of screaming their would be for the imperfections of the hand on a $200k watch. The public honestly doesn't want handmade in a watch, although they think they do.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 04:22 AM   #29
mav3rick
"TRF" Member

rolex philosophy is tt if a machine is able to do a process better than hand assembly, they will assign that part of the process to the machine, if not it will remain hand assembled until the technology required is ever available...
mav3rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 05:09 AM   #30
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
I met one of the Rolex Elves, in a bar, in Basel, last year.
She, was wearing a Grand Seiko.
So, what you are saying is even Rolex employees are on the wait list.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote