The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 August 2020, 04:29 PM   #1
MiesCup
"TRF" Member

Icon20 [116500LN Panda] What does it take?

Hello all,

I'm new here and have recently decided that I want to get a Rolex. I am a Tudor guy but recently decided to try something new. I discovered the 116500LN Panda and fell in love.

I've done some research about purchasing Rolex-es and do not want to be taken advantage of by an AD and be strung along. Here is my back story:

I saved up some money and have enough for the grey market.

However, while I am ok with paying the premium on the grey market, for a similar price, I wouldn't mind getting a few other Rolex-es (Ladies Datejust for future SO, men's Datejust and/or Oyster Perpetual for myself) and maybe a ring or a diamond or something to create a relationship with an AD over some time while I wait. Basically trying to get my money's worth.

I come from a modest town and only interact with the AD's owners or their family members from time to time (never a SA). I know there is always someone with more money or a better relationship. Would this type of purchase history help me obtain the 116500 LN Panda or would I have to compete with the big boys, in which case, I'd rather buy grey and get it over with?

I don't want to pour the money into other watches and jewelry to be strung along only to find out later the next 116500LN Panda that came in went to another customer... I spoke with the owner and he said,

"a customer came in yesterday and spent $70k on multiple watches... in the end it is your call."

I can't compete with that... I am not sure if it is true or not. He followed up with,

"Why don't we think about starting out with something small and work our way up?"

This sounds fine but I am not sure where I would be in the food chain.
I am new to this field of passion and do not know which direction to take.

Any advice, thoughts, and opinions are welcome!
MiesCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 04:50 PM   #2
J-E
"TRF" Member

you are overthinking this. You want the Daytona, buy it grey or have the patience.

imho, you say you have the money and dont mind buying grey. Just do it!
J-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 04:52 PM   #3
bp1000
"TRF" Member

It’s very unlikely you will see one in under 12 months

That’s with the purchases and the good relationship.

I’d say if you buy other watches and Jewellery and get on well you will be on the cards to receive the next or next but 1 piece.

ADs only get 2 of each dial per year if they are lucky, sometimes it’s less. It would take a miracle to get to number 1 that quick. But you might elevate to top 3 or 5. If you are not fussy on dial colour that’s 1-2 years, if you are 1-3 years.

If multiple miracles happen and they haven’t received their stock this year then it could be sooner.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 04:53 PM   #4
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

When you say "Ladies Datejust for future SO.... and maybe a ring or a diamond". Its the "future" part that concerns me, if you are considering buying a ladies Datejust for a partner you have not yet met (or at least are not serious enough to gift a Rolex to) then that is beyond what I can comprehend to get on the good side of an AD.

Personally, I would just buy Grey if I wanted it enough, but first I would take a step back and see if I really wanted it, or if I just fell into the hype. I'd buy a Polar Explorer to scratch the white dial itch, a Moonwatch for the Chrono, and a Sub or a Datejust for the hell of it. Still walk away with some change and not have to play silly games with an AD or pay way over MSRP, instead of actually going grey on a Daytona.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 04:56 PM   #5
peterpl
Banned

It takes nothing more than $$$$$$$$$

Its that simple.

You want one tomorrow? Easy just cough up the market price it will be at your door by COB tomorrow arvo.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 04:58 PM   #6
Ihatecheese
Banned

Best to buy grey.

You have obsessive fans who would give the AD their firstborn or spend money on unwanted items to create a way for the AD to remember them. So if you don't wish to play that game then it's grey time.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 05:07 PM   #7
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Well, the owner already told you what it will take to even be included in the conversation. $70K will get you to a point where the AD will consider you. I don’t know how much more you will need to spend to actually be able to buy it.

If you’re new to the game you might want to consider another watch. You picked the most desired watch on the planet. I’m sure you are partly driven by hype. Step back and ask yourself if you really want this watch or if you’re being influenced by other factors. Trust me when I say this watch is not worth the price it’s commanding. At that point you should look at 116519 WG on OF. It’s much nicer than the 116500. Not even close in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 05:08 PM   #8
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
i think as above poster suggested, getting a few other watches makes sense rather than 20k or so on a daytona grey, it's very very hard to get hold of.

just for reference check out the gold, yellow/white/rose models on oysterflex or bracelet, if you're going to spend that much you can chuck a little extra in and get one of these.

the steel daytona is absolutley 100 per cent not worth what they're selling for on the grey marke, its just not a 20 grand watch i'm sorry but its not.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 05:25 PM   #9
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Panda ...
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 05:27 PM   #10
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
the steel daytona is absolutley 100 per cent not worth what they're selling for on the grey marke, its just not a 20 grand watch i'm sorry but its not.
Agree that it's not... neither are the vintage pieces that cost multiples of that. But if you want it there is no substitute I guess.
Old 5 August 2020, 05:30 PM   #11
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
Agree that it's not... neither are the vintage pieces that cost multiples of that. But if you want it there is no substitute I guess.
The difference with the vintage pieces is everyone is on the same playing field....you want it you pay the price. Daytona, some of the lucky few still get them for MSRP which makes paying huge amounts over that harder to swallow in my opinion.
Old 5 August 2020, 05:35 PM   #12
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarver View Post
The difference with the vintage pieces is everyone is on the same playing field....you want it you pay the price. Daytona, some of the lucky few still get them for MSRP which makes paying huge amounts over that harder to swallow in my opinion.
Maybe this was the case but do you really think that someone that now can buy the Daytona at MSRP hasn't paid equal or more the difference between MSRP and grey in other purchases.

Meaning if someone would start a relationship new today and they wanted a Daytona say in a year, the sum of purchases they would have to do and then sell all except Daytona (since they only wanted Daytona), they wouldn't loose money net after all is said and done?

The other way of obtaining it, OP says he lives in a small town, is to do favours for the owner. Quid-pro-quo I think you call it.

PS. I sold mine that I had purchased grey at €18k because I didn't think it was worth it and I could pick it up at MSRP later. However, I am now seriously reconsidering to buy it back from grey.
Old 5 August 2020, 05:39 PM   #13
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
Maybe this was the case but do you really think that someone that now can buy the Daytona at MSRP hasn't paid equal or more the difference between MSRP and grey in other purchases.

Meaning if someone would start a relationship new today and they wanted a Daytona say in a year, the sum of purchases they would have to do and then sell all except Daytona (since they only wanted Daytona), they wouldn't loose money net after all is said and done?
Yes I do agree. Either way you pay the price.

Unless money truly wasn't an object I would go for either option to be honest, I'd just put the watch out of my head.
Old 5 August 2020, 07:42 PM   #14
Hugo_Weaving
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610V
Time is more valuable than money because you will never get any of your time back. If you genuinely have the funds just buy it. There is no magic trick unfortunately. You will make that money a few times over by the time the "relationship" pays off. My two cents Clink* Clink*
Hugo_Weaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 08:53 PM   #15
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I'll tell you what it takes, OP: stop calling it a Panda, as it isn't, and then the AD will just might think to give you a second chance
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 08:59 PM   #16
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Just a thought:
If you have saved for a grey price, could you to add a bit more to get PM Daytona from your AD? You would build a relationship, get an awesome watch and be happy. Then start saving again. Once enough is saved then go you have the decision again.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:06 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
If the Daytona is what you’re jonesing for and you want it now, then going Gray is your best bet. It’ll be on your wrist tomorrow or the next day.

If you have patience and choose to wait it out, you might end up with one from an AD but it will take some time.

I’d never buy a bunch of watches or jewelry that I didn’t truly want. That’s just never made sense to me
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:11 PM   #18
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

PS- call it whatever the heck you want. Don’t let the others gripes with calling it a Panda ruffle your feathers. I’m personally not a fan of nicknames, especially the superhero ones, but at the end of the day it’s just a bloody watch and hopefully your watch.

I say this only as you are new but your post is well written and well thought. Hoping you stick around and enjoy the forum and it’s members. I’m not the most seasoned guy here but it’s refreshing to read posts like this rather than a bunch of misspelt words with poor punctuation asking 100 times about the cost, depreciation and investment potential of platinum.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:19 PM   #19
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

As others said....go grey. You aren't getting one from an AD without investing time and a LOT of hard earned cash.

His "why don't we start you off small" suggestion is to hook you in as a prospective buyer. Total waste of time in my opinion unless there's other stuff you genuinely want. He can then string you along for the next 5 years saying "oh if you buy this piece it might speed things up". It's standard AD games which I personally wouldn't engage in.

Alternatively, look at something else for the equivelant grey price. $25k will get you an awful lot of watch.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:23 PM   #20
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
If the Daytona is what you’re jonesing for and you want it now, then going Gray is your best bet. It’ll be on your wrist tomorrow or the next day.

If you have patience and choose to wait it out, you might end up with one from an AD but it will take some time.

I’d never buy a bunch of watches or jewelry that I didn’t truly want. That’s just never made sense to me
⬆️⬆️⬆️ Great advice! I agree 100%. Why wait, spend money on something you may or may not want? Makes 0 sense. If you’re going to spend the money anyway....go grey, have it tomorrow. I always just consider the price of the watches I want to buy as
..NIB grey market value. That’ll be the price I budget for when looking for my next purchase.
I’m not going to go thru an AD, spend a bunch of money I don’t want to spend things on, play the waiting/list game, hoping the watch dealer will eventually....1, 2, 3, years from now, sell me a watch! I’m not that patient, and I’d rather enjoy it immediately, vs watching videos, seeing other people enjoying theirs, looking at pics, etc...while I wait however long it takes for the watch I want.
BUT THATS JUST ME, YMMV!
Good luck!
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:27 PM   #21
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Panda: (This was called a Paul Newman dial when I bought this in 2000)

Not Panda:

Good luck on your quest for the Daytona!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 5 August 2020, 09:30 PM   #22
mml4
"TRF" Member

Buying from a grey dealer at an inflated price simply supports the paradigm that prevents you from getting the watch from an AD for the asking. I can afford the grey price but wouldn't enjoy my purchase knowing there are many many folks who paid considerably less than me.
If I absolutely had to have the watch and not having it was preventing me from sleeping I would pay a premium of 10%. That won't get me a Daytona but I accept that.
I am on a list with an AD with whom I have a three Rolex purchase history.18 months and waiting. I have no illusions but you never know!
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:32 PM   #23
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Go gray or look at the 116519LN steel/silver dial. You’re already in the price range.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:42 PM   #24
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

The fact that the AD specifically mentioned that someone spent $70K the previous day makes we wary that you will be able to work your way up the list. If your heart is set on the Daytona and you have the means and the willingness to pay above retail, then I would just do that. You'll have the watch in a matter of days, and if after a few weeks of wear you realize you don't love it for whatever reason, you should be able to sell it at a reasonable loss (particularly considering how much you would lose trying to secure one from an AD)
DC116710LN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:47 PM   #25
aw9nineteen
"TRF" Member

Do not spend double MSRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aw9nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:49 PM   #26
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
A kidney. How bad do you want it?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:51 PM   #27
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC116710LN View Post
The fact that the AD specifically mentioned that someone spent $70K the previous day makes we wary that you will be able to work your way up the list. If your heart is set on the Daytona and you have the means and the willingness to pay above retail, then I would just do that. You'll have the watch in a matter of days, and if after a few weeks of wear you realize you don't love it for whatever reason, you should be able to sell it at a reasonable loss (particularly considering how much you would lose trying to secure one from an AD)
It’s disconcerting to me to hear that an AD says this stuff to a potential customer. Just find a better AD...
Old 5 August 2020, 10:25 PM   #28
tally
"TRF" Member

paying today's grey price for a daytona is just wrong IMO.

fair enough you can afford it but your helping this disturbing new trend

but hey thats capitalism
tally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 10:26 PM   #29
Hulkhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Not a chance I’d pay £20k+ for a current model steel Daytona.

I agree with others, for the cash You should look at PM.
Hulkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 10:52 PM   #30
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

The owner told you to go grey
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote