The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 February 2020, 06:24 AM   #1
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
5196p at AD?

Hi,

I’ve been lurking around for a 5196p in the secondary market. It’s pretty thin pickings out there, particularly for something <5 years old, black strap, B&P, etc. So, I’ve looked at the AD.

What’s a reasonable discount on this watch from an AD? I’m guessing it’s likely small, but I can’t understand how this watch moves at full retail and an immediate 35%+ haircut. I’d think there has to be some room.

I’m contemplating the value of starting a relationship with a local AD, and I’m not naive that I’m getting a call for a SS model in this environment. But, I’m looking at the long game and wondering if this is worth it, or just be patient and stay on the secondary market.

Always love to hear the thoughts of the community.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 February 2020, 06:55 AM   #2
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Discounts are quickly becoming a thing of the past, in general. Now, if you walked into an AD and were going to drop 100k plus on a grand comp, or a cpl things - they might wiggle a little...

That’s just a reference you don’t see pop up very often. I’ve found that the 5196 mostly shows up in R and G....

You go over to Razny? My wife and I stopped by when we were visiting over the Christmas holidays. Do they still have the 91k 5712 in the window, and the 75k 5711? (Nice people though)
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 07:08 AM   #3
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Discounts are quickly becoming a thing of the past, in general. Now, if you walked into an AD and were going to drop 100k plus on a grand comp, or a cpl things - they might wiggle a little...

That’s just a reference you don’t see pop up very often. I’ve found that the 5196 mostly shows up in R and G....

You go over to Razny? My wife and I stopped by when we were visiting over the Christmas holidays. Do they still have the 91k 5712 in the window, and the 75k 5711? (Nice people though)

Haha the downtown location has a 5712 (at least as of a couple of weeks ago) in the window, which I honestly think is just terrible. As an AD you should be told that’s simply not allowed, but that’s just my opinion and showing frustration at the current state of the game. But you’re right, they are top notch from a personal perspective. Everyone I’ve ever talked to there goes out of their way to be helpful and I’d buy from them without hesitation.

Too bad on the discounts. If a 15% discount isn’t possible on this watch, it sounds like I’m much better in the secondary market. I’m never buying the overpriced complications to maybe get put on a list for something that at today’s hype level I’ll never get. Maybe it’ll all change...some day

Old 17 February 2020, 07:22 AM   #4
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Haha the downtown location has a 5712 (at least as of a couple of weeks ago) in the window, which I honestly think is just terrible. As an AD you should be told that’s simply not allowed, but that’s just my opinion and showing frustration at the current state of the game. But you’re right, they are top notch from a personal perspective. Everyone I’ve ever talked to there goes out of their way to be helpful and I’d buy from them without hesitation.

Too bad on the discounts. If a 15% discount isn’t possible on this watch, it sounds like I’m much better in the secondary market. I’m never buying the overpriced complications to maybe get put on a list for something that at today’s hype level I’ll never get. Maybe it’ll all change...some day

It never hurts to ask — it’s not like you’re asking for a 5711 or 5167... and you’re trying to take the mainstream AD route vs. grey... all they can say is no.

Yeah - I kinda thought the same thing when we went in and asked about them - but they honed in on what watch I was wearing (and my wife’s) - and we had a good 15min or so discussion. They offered to get them out of the window and everything. They had a 5271 I think too then. I’m sure I’ll go back next time we’re there this summer. I like Swiss Fine Timing downtown as well.
Old 17 February 2020, 07:30 AM   #5
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
It never hurts to ask — it’s not like you’re asking for a 5711 or 5167... and you’re trying to take the mainstream AD route vs. grey... all they can say is no.

Yeah - I kinda thought the same thing when we went in and asked about them - but they honed in on what watch I was wearing (and my wife’s) - and we had a good 15min or so discussion. They offered to get them out of the window and everything. They had a 5271 I think too then. I’m sure I’ll go back next time we’re there this summer. I like Swiss Fine Timing downtown as well.

Really like Swiss. The owner is a really nice guy and has always been very helpful to me. I just hope they can get some love and expand on their AP selection!

Old 17 February 2020, 07:34 AM   #6
RHIII

Quote:
Really like Swiss. The owner is a really nice guy and has always been very helpful to me. I just hope they can get some love and expand on their AP selection!

Great folks for sure.

I was chatting with their marketing head Chris a few weeks back and he said they should be getting more AP inventory not too far in the future. AP is upping production a bit this year so that should be good. I think they had 3 watches in all of the AP cases. I got to chat with Daniel a bit while I was there.

Old 17 February 2020, 09:00 AM   #7
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I doubt an AD will do much on this one except maybe discount the tax, if your lucky. What the aftermarket value may be is irrelevant. I would not even mention value retention on any reference in any discussion with an AD at this point in time.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 09:17 AM   #8
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I doubt an AD will do much on this one except maybe discount the tax, if your lucky. What the aftermarket value may be is irrelevant. I would not even mention value retention on any reference in any discussion with an AD at this point in time.

Well, I am not someone that can drop $38k on a watch and in the bat of an eye see it valued at $22k. Out of both financial reasons and simple common sense, this just doesn’t sit with me. At least not on its own. I could do this if it was offset by attaining a piece that has some after market premium to help offset the loss. But I fear that’s not happening, and that doesn’t mean I want a 5711 or 5167.

I can’t comprehend why ADs don’t open up a bit more for those interested in the brand and can demonstrate they’re legitimate collectors. Both sides win over the longer term. But, I’m getting the vibe that in this economy and market it isn’t happening. Either you’re a VIP, you’re a ghost, or you occasionally might win the lottery.

Old 17 February 2020, 10:24 AM   #9
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I suggest contacting one of the TRF sellers and see if they can source one for you.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 10:29 AM   #10
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I would think a discount on a Calatrava would be possible, but it depends on the AD. Razny doesn't seem to discount even on slow moving pieces, so I wouldn't expect it there.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:21 AM   #11
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, I am not someone that can drop $38k on a watch and in the bat of an eye see it valued at $22k. Out of both financial reasons and simple common sense, this just doesn’t sit with me. At least not on its own. I could do this if it was offset by attaining a piece that has some after market premium to help offset the loss. But I fear that’s not happening, and that doesn’t mean I want a 5711 or 5167.

I can’t comprehend why ADs don’t open up a bit more for those interested in the brand and can demonstrate they’re legitimate collectors. Both sides win over the longer term. But, I’m getting the vibe that in this economy and market it isn’t happening. Either you’re a VIP, you’re a ghost, or you occasionally might win the lottery.

Not a thing wrong with buying a pre-owned watch. Even if you are made of money, a 16k savings is just smart business. If it bothers you, send it in for service and it will come back looking like brand new and you will still have saved a bundle.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 02:52 PM   #12
Codik
"TRF" Member

5196p at AD?

I got a 10% discount a couple of years ago + an extra strap on a 5196r. Made it worthwhile for me.
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 02:53 PM   #13
peter_shore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codik View Post
I got a 10% discount a couple of years ago + an extra strap on a 5196r. Made it worthwhile for me.
UK purchase? I thought unable to get discounts in the UK
peter_shore is offline   Reply With Quote