The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 December 2018, 12:55 AM   #1
montty
"TRF" Member

Icon5 How to buy a Daytona?

Dear friends,

I have a serious question and know that this is the best place to find an answer (if the answer exists at all).

I want to buy a new white face 116500

- ok to pay full retail (in cash, even in advance)
- ok to wait 1-2 years
- based in the UK but happy to travel for it anywhere in the world.

I have bough few rolexes over past few years but have never got into any relationship with any AD

Would appreciate your advice.
montty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 12:56 AM   #2
Dyim
"TRF" Member

I think you need to go grey.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 12:57 AM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montty View Post
Dear friends,

I have a serious question and know that this is the best place to find an answer (if the answer exists at all).

- ok to wait 1-2 years

I have bough few rolexes over past few years but have never got into any relationship with any AD

Plane ticket + Hotel + Food + weak GBP +import fees makes it more expensive than buying from watchfinder today, and having it on your wrist today vs hypothetically getting it at retail in some other country two years from now
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 01:02 AM   #4
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
One of the most desirable and hard to get references out there!
There is a mighty queue for these!
Even I think it is cheaper to pay more for grey than wait years (with incremental AD price rises) and then pay the same price years later?
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 01:05 AM   #5
montty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Plane ticket + Hotel + Food + weak GBP +import fees makes it more expensive than buying from watchfinder today, and having it on your wrist today vs hypothetically getting it at retail in some other country two years from now
Thanks for your advise. However, WF offers a "nearly new" for c£20k vs £9k at rolex website. Little bit too much for me
Old 30 December 2018, 01:11 AM   #6
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

They are coming down a little, I see a 2018 one sold for £15,500 this month on an internet auction site.
My local AD has one, but it is black
Old 30 December 2018, 01:13 AM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for your advise. However, WF offers a "nearly new" for c£20k vs £9k at rolex website. Little bit too much for me
You missed the point. US Retail + sales tax is £10,500 (so you are already 1.5k above UK retail). Then you pay 20% to import it so you are at £12,600. Thats before any other expenses like plane tickets, etc. So you are already way, way, way above UK retail getting it at an AD anywhere else besides the UK.

Because UK price is so low that just is another reason its extra difficult to get one here

You cant use UK retail as a starting point in a comparison as you will be well above that anyway even at an AD. So at a minimum compare actual cost to acquire from a foreign AD vs just paying secondary pricing as that spread is more relevant.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 30 December 2018, 01:27 AM   #8
ro1ex
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,DD,DJ,GMT,AP
I’m also in the same boat, been waiting and searching different ways to get a daytona at retail price. I’ve been offered one new at £13,600 yesterday, still don’t believe in paying premium for a watch, however the above comments are making me change my mind.
ro1ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 01:27 AM   #9
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
You missed the point. US Retail + sales tax is £10,500 (so you are already 1.5k above UK retail). Then you pay 20% to import it so you are at £12,600. Thats before any other expenses like plane tickets, etc. So you are already way, way, way above UK retail getting it at an AD anywhere else besides the UK.

Because UK price is so low that just is another reason its extra difficult to get one here

You cant use UK retail as a starting point in a comparison as you will be well above that anyway even at an AD. So at a minimum compare actual cost to acquire from a foreign AD vs just paying secondary pricing as that spread is more relevant.

Well said Tyler. Once you add all the costs of getting the watch overseas, you’re edging towards grey territory anyway.

Why do you want this watch in particular over the black dial? To me, the different dials of the Daytona are just like the Skydweller. I think the Sky D is a gorgeous watch. Like many, I do think the blue is the most unique. However, the white and black dials are equally gorgeous, and if I was offered any of three, I’d take one regardless of colour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 01:29 AM   #10
heritagewatchdealers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Calibre de Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
Well said Tyler. Once you add all the costs of getting the watch overseas, you’re edging towards grey territory anyway.

Why do you want this watch in particular over the black dial? To me, the different dials of the Daytona are just like the Skydweller. I think the Sky D is a gorgeous watch. Like many, I do think the blue is the most unique. However, the white and black dials are equally gorgeous, and if I was offered any of three, I’d take one regardless of colour.

Agree- I’d take any of them!

heritagewatchdealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 01:31 AM   #11
montty
"TRF" Member

Quote:

ok to pay us retail + extra grand for flights and hotel. These £11-12k will buy me a new watch from AD + a story to remember. Paying £20k to support this crazy speculations is simply too expensive and against my principles
Old 30 December 2018, 01:32 AM   #12
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Dear friends,

- ok to wait 1-2 years

I’m afraid Monty there are 50,000 (at least) people ar0umd the world wanting the same thing. Going grey is your only hope unless you can drop a lot of mo eu at an AD on stuff you probably don’t want to jump up the list - cheaper to go grey though.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 01:35 AM   #13
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
At the risk of appearing like a thread hijacker(!), I too am in the exact same boat as the OP. However, I am not opposed to either colour as long it's the ceramic 2016 version. Therefore, if anyone does know of a dealer which has a Daytona for sale, I'd be most grateful for the steer.

(Sorry for the intrusion, montty)!
Mr. Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 01:41 AM   #14
lucid
Banned

Maybe it's time you satr considering to start a relationship with an AD
lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 01:41 AM   #15
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

I still don't see why the OP thinks there will be any available in the USA?
Surely they like it too over there? ;)

None are available in AD in UK to anyone who is not VIP or Grey VIP

Pretty sure most of us would crawl over broken glass to get one at MSRP

I'm glad, if this Rolex shortage was designed to make us so keen - it is WORKING! :(
Old 30 December 2018, 01:47 AM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveclock View Post
I still don't see why the OP thinks there will be any available in the USA?
Surely they like it too over there? ;)

(
there isnt and especially if the AD doesnt know you. Just an abstract "what if" and just pointing out the price isnt the UK price.
Old 30 December 2018, 01:51 AM   #17
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It's simple.

Pay up or wait. And from the sounds of your OP, looks like you're going to be waiting a long time.

And no, they're not available over here in the US either.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 02:01 AM   #18
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
there isnt and especially if the AD doesnt know you. Just an abstract "what if" and just pointing out the price isnt the UK price.
OK, perhaps you get higher prices, but sometimes nicer weather makes up for it??

BTW I did state this before, but not here, but my "friendly" AD offered me the "USED" 116500 LN for about DOUBLE RETAIL

I still don't think there can be anyone left on the planet who does not understand the TRUE value of this item!

I would "settle" for NOIR or BLANC BTW :)
Old 30 December 2018, 02:39 AM   #19
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
To the OP ...

Over the past 8 months, I've been to a number of dealers across Europe, the U.S., and Canada looking for a black Daytona and, more recently, a BLRO. If you don't want to pay the grey market price, then I'd recommend finding a different watch. Or more likely, a different brand entirely.

Of the 30 or so ADs that I've visited, probably half were friendly and professional. 25% were terse and only borderline professional - i.e. made it pretty clear they just wanted me to go away as quickly as possible. The other 25% were openly unprofessional - e.g. the sales agent hears me ask another rep if they have a stainless steel Daytona and starts loudly and audibly cackling. The one thing they all had in common is that they weren't going to or able to sell me the watch that I wanted.

I compare this to working on a deal with a well known TS on this site. He is very responsive and professional. He has watches - the ones I want. He collects watches and really knows the business. He provides a fair deal in the context of the grey market - i.e. the market value for these pieces. I don't have to stand outside his shop while a security guard sizes me up and decides to let me in.

Anyway, long way of saying that I don't think you'll find the Daytona as a walk in. But as importantly, you may find the whole experience of asking ADs to be frustrating and general waste of your time.
Roger Lococco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 02:41 AM   #20
zeeww
"TRF" Member

Quote:

zeeww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 02:43 AM   #21
Wiener48
Banned

Grey or wait, simple!
Wiener48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 02:46 AM   #22
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Buy from gray. You'll never get the call without spend history. My AD said he would add me to the list after buying my two Rolex watches but he told me it would be at least a year. I told him I'd wait. I'm not ready to buy one yet.

I've heard the UK it can take 50-100k to get one at retail.
Old 30 December 2018, 02:50 AM   #23
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritagewatchdealers View Post
Agree- I’d take any of them!

Depends on your collection....if you wanted to add a particular color dial and model combo......why would you take anything you could get your hands on?

I guess I dont understand the "ill take whatever you got" mentality with hard to get pieces.

If I wanted something I would get exactly what I wanted or pay a little more to get it.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 02:52 AM   #24
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

OP- I would get in contact with a few dealers, be willing to put a 25% deposit down and wait for 1-2 years

Call them periodically...probably once a month and be patient
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 02:56 AM   #25
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 02:58 AM   #26
zeeww
"TRF" Member

OP - for this watch your options are quite binary, given that you don’t have a relationship with ADs, and you want the watch on your terms. It’s either you wait, or pay a premium through grey.

Of course, never say never on anything so may be lucky to come across one at an airport (a member got his at an airport), or someone (VIP) passed on their allocation to you....
zeeww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 03:02 AM   #27
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Buy one in gold
Old 30 December 2018, 03:14 AM   #28
joshua.pearl3
"TRF" Member

OP I am in the same position with you. Desperate to get a daytona, ideally white, with no AD experience (will be my first watch) and willing to wait and travel. Happy to pay full price upfront..

Not much luck so far...
joshua.pearl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 03:15 AM   #29
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
I would wait. Buy the easier and in production SS that could be obtained from your AD, build a relationship with them and it will pay off.

To share some of my experience. I decided that it is worthwhile to build a stable relationship with the local AD (within EU, not UK-based)

For example this year alone I was able to get from the AD:
1. Tudor Black Bay GMT (3 months after its release)
2. Rolex 116610lv (Hulk) - they called me after 3 months after I put my name on the list
3. Rolex Explorer mk2 - I received it within 2 weeks

They know that I am interested in getting a white dial Daytona and confirmed that the wait for me will be approx. a year, maximum two. It is absolutely fine to wait this interval to get the watch at MSRP.

If I don't like any new Tudor/Rolex releases from Basel 2019, I might get a white dial OP39 as I like it a lot.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Gimoozaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 03:18 AM   #30
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Good luck. Probability of paying retail less than 1%
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote