The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 27 November 2012, 08:17 AM   #1
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD 116660
Icon20 <<<Invicta Meteorite Dial>>>> Should I?

As many threads here on TRF have beaten this brand to death

I wanted to get a few opinions about the meteorite dial "examples"
I just cant see me spending $1800 on an Invicta...

Being that currently I don't have the funds to buy my grail, the meteorite WG Daytona...

I was thinking of grabbing one of these on the hopes that them being as rare as they say it will appreciate in value...

Thanks for all the help...

Tom

Rolex: DSSD 116660, 16622 PLATTY
T-Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2012, 08:21 AM   #2
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
I think people on this forum have done a little more than beat the brand to death.

If you like it, go for it Tom. Look around the web, there's tons of different prices for Invictas.
Old 27 November 2012, 08:36 AM   #3
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockadam View Post
I think people on this forum have done a little more than beat the brand to death.

If you like it, go for it Tom. Look around the web, there's tons of different prices for Invictas.
Very true Adam... I like that you sport yours and that you are very proud of it...as you should be..

Old 27 November 2012, 08:41 AM   #4
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Well Tom I for one don't really like bashing brands and have no problem with Invicta's but with all due respect I would doubt the value of this watch will rise to the point where you can consider it a collectible timepiece. The Valjoux 7751 is a wonderful movement and I really like it but there's something that doesn't do it with this watch as far as I'm concerned. The mix of a complete calendar with a moonphase indicator and a chronograph usually looks great but the rest of the watch doesn't fit it, I would have preferred to see it with a much more elegant (and much less bulky) case and without a diver's bezel. Besides, I think the addition of a meteorite dial makes the whole watch look too busy, I'd rather see such a dial on a simple chronograph like the Daytona or an even simpler dial such as the Day-Date's.

Of course, that's only my opinion but if you like it, by all means, go for it and be happy! Invicta makes, I believe, great watches and they aren't that expensive (at least most of them). However, this would be the only reason why I'd buy this watch (or any watch for that matter) as I'm not into collecting investments or things I'll sell in several years to make profit.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2012, 08:48 AM   #5
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I have a few Invictas. They are good watches for there price point. That being said, I dont think any of them will ever be considered "collector watches" or will increase in value like some of the other higher end brands.
I have been proven wrong before but I doubt it on this brand.
Buy what makes you happy. Just dont buy it to feel the void of a daytona and then find out it doesnt and you are out the $1700

financeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2012, 09:48 AM   #6
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rip View Post
Very true Adam... I like that you sport yours and that you are very proud of it...as you should be..
I was proud of it for a while, now I'm not. Cause I cannot discuss at all. I never post my Invicta in WRUW anymore for that specific reason; which I'm sure you understand.
Old 27 November 2012, 10:01 AM   #7
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was proud of it for a while, now I'm not. Cause I cannot discuss at all. I never post my Invicta in WRUW anymore for that specific reason; which I'm sure you understand.
No way man you should... its your watch. People that "make fun" of you are pathetic in my opinion.

You like it, you wear it, you should be proud of it.. I actually liked seeing your watch on the WRUW threads..

Old 27 November 2012, 10:01 AM   #8
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
Well Tom I for one don't really like bashing brands and have no problem with Invicta's but with all due respect I would doubt the value of this watch will rise to the point where you can consider it a collectible timepiece. The Valjoux 7751 is a wonderful movement and I really like it but there's something that doesn't do it with this watch as far as I'm concerned. The mix of a complete calendar with a moonphase indicator and a chronograph usually looks great but the rest of the watch doesn't fit it, I would have preferred to see it with a much more elegant (and much less bulky) case and without a diver's bezel. Besides, I think the addition of a meteorite dial makes the whole watch look too busy, I'd rather see such a dial on a simple chronograph like the Daytona or an even simpler dial such as the Day-Date's.

Of course, that's only my opinion but if you like it, by all means, go for it and be happy! Invicta makes, I believe, great watches and they aren't that expensive (at least most of them). However, this would be the only reason why I'd buy this watch (or any watch for that matter) as I'm not into collecting investments or things I'll sell in several years to make profit.

Well said my friend...

Old 27 November 2012, 10:02 AM   #9
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeman View Post
I have a few Invictas. They are good watches for there price point. That being said, I dont think any of them will ever be considered "collector watches" or will increase in value like some of the other higher end brands.
I have been proven wrong before but I doubt it on this brand.
Buy what makes you happy. Just dont buy it to feel the void of a daytona and then find out it doesnt and you are out the $1700

Good point about the "Just dont buy it to feel the void of a daytona and then find out it doesnt and you are out the $1700[/QUOTE]"

thanks

Old 27 November 2012, 10:17 AM   #10
cedric
Banned

Seeing what you written, personal advice is not to buy it. Not because that I think that it is lesser of a brand but i doubt that the price will increase in future, such that you can make a tidy profit (Assume it does and raises 10%, why take a $1800 risk for the amount). So save the money towards your WG Meteorite Daytona.

But end of the day, buy what you like and you know what you really like.

P.S. On the 3 meteorite model you show, personally i don't quite like the look of it. The design of the sub-dials don't look right, and like what Carl said, it really looks too busy and the complications does not feels in place for such a watch. Sometimes, less is more.

Cheers
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
If you like it go for it.
I say absolutely not.
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2012, 12:05 PM   #12
salem65
"TRF" Member

Watch: JS Watch co. 101
If you buy it, you are just another $1800 further from your grail watch. Don't settle; save and buy what you want/need. Rare doesn't mean valuable.
Old 27 November 2012, 12:11 PM   #13
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I would put the money away towards your real goal. What's the rush?
Old 27 November 2012, 12:21 PM   #14
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Quote:
That is the saddest post I will read all night. You do not deserve to be treated that way Adam.
Old 27 November 2012, 04:19 PM   #15
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrazor251 View Post
That is the saddest post I will read all night. You do not deserve to be treated that way Adam.
I agree 1000% pathetic.

Old 28 November 2012, 12:02 AM   #16
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Quote:
Originally Posted by salem65 View Post
If you buy it, you are just another $1800 further from your grail watch. Don't settle; save and buy what you want/need. Rare doesn't mean valuable.

I agree 100%

And you say you hope it will appreciate in value? Its an Invicta... It wont go up in value. If you love it get it but realize you will be $1800 away from your grail

Id buy a Seiko and enjoy it till you can get the Daytona you want.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2012, 12:33 AM   #17
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
I hate to see that you feel that way. There is nothing to be ashamed about owning a invicta. They make a good looking watch that is affordable. Wear your watch with pride. The only person that should care about the watch on YOUR arm is YOU. If your goal is to one day own a Rolex or other more expensive brand then I am sure you will get it. Until then, show off the watch you have with pride.
I am pretty sure that this forum was a out the love of fine time pieces and not how much money we have or how expensive our watches are. As long as you share in the passion for time pieces, then you are welcome and can show off what ever is on your arm. From a $5 timex to a $500,000 PP.
Anyone that makes fun of anyone on here for what they wear obviously is in the wrong place and buy more expensive watches for truly the wrong reason.

financeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2012, 03:17 AM   #18
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by salem65 View Post
Agreed.

If you really like it then buy it but I'd personally rather wait for a a nice Tudor 79280 - a watch true to the Daytona form - for $800-$1200 more (depending on condition and style) if you absolutely need something to hold you over until you can achieve the grail, otherwise keep saving. They pop up relatively frequent if you search with elitedeal seeker.

I have nothing against Invicta personally but to me paying for meteorite on an otherwise inexpensive watch is like putting lipstick on a pig. I don't mean this as a knock whatsoever... I wear my SXK007 daily and wouldn't have touched it with 10ft pole at a $1600 premium because of the dial material.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2012, 04:11 AM   #19
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
My husband owns two Invictas because his TT Sub would get destroyed at his work...some may think it is cool to mash up an expensive TT watch, and if they like that, fine, but the watch was a gift from his father and he wears it only for special occasions. Plus, the Invictas chronograph has a date on it. He wears them on NATO straps.

We've also given my brother an Invicta watch (an Explorer look-alike).

I wore relatively cheap Ann Klein department store watches for years while I was saving up my money for a Rolex.

Given that I have no problem with inexpensive watches in general (although seeing pudgy professionals wearing a digital G Shock with a suit bothers me) or. Invictas in particular, that watch is very, very expensive for what it is. $500 would be stretching it. Can you find a used one?

My husband got an expensive automatic TT Tag before he got his Rolex. In 2000 it had a retail value of about $1,100, and got it for about $850 or so. He wore it everywhere, all the time. The gold on the bracelet link has worn off, and the watch doesn't keep good time. It has essentially no resale value that we know of (unless someone here wants to take it off of our hands). Before that, he purchased a cool-looking Hamilton watch for a few hundred dollars...the crown came undone somehow (it was loose) and the watch was ruined. The cost of repair far exceeds the value. Before that, he had the very popular (and overpriced) Swiss Army watch. He received the SS model for his college graduation in the early 90s. I think it cost $500 then. Before that, he had several that were on the black nylon strap. They broke so quickly (but fortunately under warranty) that I thin he went through three of them.

Lesson? Either get a cheap, beater watch that will serve you well (maybe under $250) or spring for "the real thing."
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2012, 04:23 AM   #20
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
I don't think that watch will appreciate in value, even if it is rare.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2012, 05:15 AM   #21
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrazor251 View Post
+2 Adam, I have a couple of Invictas. One has a red dial that I really like. I have and would not hesitate to put it on a WRUW thread. There is always the two percent that are never going to be happy. Do not let them make you enjoy what you have or what you like less. If you do, they win and I guarantee you that all they enjoy is making other people miserable, like themselves.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2012, 06:17 AM   #22
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
For $ 1800. I will pass.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2012, 02:46 AM   #23
The Relumer
"TRF" Member

for one , the luminocity really sucks . if that matters to you

Last edited by sleddog; 30 November 2012 at 01:20 PM..
The Relumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2012, 03:40 AM   #24
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
I really don`t like bashing any brand, and I`m of the opinion that everybody should buy whatever they want.
That been said, if you like the design of this particular Invicta, you should seriously think of getting it.

Now, I personally don`t like it very much, something about it`s case don`t go very well with it`s complications IMHO....I mean, ETA 7751 is great movement, a workhorse with serious complications - a win/win situation, but I think that this movement deserves completely different styling and case, something along the lines of Longines Master Collection.

Anyway, I also think that 1800$ is serious amount of money, that can be invested in, again IMHO, better watch. And I don`t mean watch with better value, but essentially better watch.
I mentioned Longines, a truly fantastic watch for it`s price, which can be bought used for exact amount, which is a way that I would personally go.
And of course, saving for Grail is always a good option!

But, again, if you really like THIS particular watch, go for it!
It will serve you very well, considering the great movement inside it!
Good Luck!
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote