The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 August 2014, 02:05 AM   #1
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
"Tropical" Strap Durability?

Hello everyone here on TRF! I had an unusual conversation with my Patek Dealer the other day and wanted to get you thoughts on the conversation. The sales person behind the counter noticed the Aquanaut 5164 on my wrist and politely complimented me on the choice. I thanked her and we began a conversation about how popular that particular model has become.....and how difficult it is for dealers to obtain.

Anyway, as I was singing the praises of the piece and it's durability, the Salesperson suggested that I still not forget to replace the strap every year or two as you would with a leather strap. Being a synthetic material I didn't feel this was necessary, but she adamantly reaffirmed that even though it's not a natural hide material, sweat, water and other items will limit its useful life to at most 2 years with normal daily wear.

Personally, I find this very hard to believe! I can't imagine the Patek "Tropical" strap not lasting at least a decade....if not even longer. Am I wrong with that? I would love to know you thoughts and experiences with this type of strap. How long can I reasonably expect it to last before needing replaced?
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 02:19 AM   #2
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167, 16570, 5513
Hmm I also wouldn't think it would need to be every year or two. Maybe if you wore it every day outside in the sun and salt water and such. I'm thinking tires that get dry- rotted after sitting in the sun. Interesting. I know there are members here that have had tropical straps for 7+ years. Maybe they will chime in....
samuelhuntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 02:19 AM   #3
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post
Hello everyone here on TRF! I had an unusual conversation with my Patek Dealer the other day and wanted to get you thoughts on the conversation. The sales person behind the counter noticed the Aquanaut 5164 on my wrist and politely complimented me on the choice. I thanked her and we began a conversation about how popular that particular model has become.....and how difficult it is for dealers to obtain.

Anyway, as I was singing the praises of the piece and it's durability, the Salesperson suggested that I still not forget to replace the strap every year or two as you would with a leather strap. Being a synthetic material I didn't feel this was necessary, but she adamantly reaffirmed that even though it's not a natural hide material, sweat, water and other items will limit its useful life to at most 2 years with normal daily wear.

Personally, I find this very hard to believe! I can't imagine the Patek "Tropical" strap not lasting at least a decade....if not even longer. Am I wrong with that? I would love to know you thoughts and experiences with this type of strap. How long can I reasonably expect it to last before needing replaced?
hmmm, did you talk to Michelle , Danielle ?
Don't own the 5167 but what I heard from other TRF members it really lasts 4 ever. I'll let them answer based on experience.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 02:24 AM   #4
Jabberjaw
Banned

We have a beach house and the chlorine and salt water have done a number on my 2 month old strap already. Slightly faded and discolored. I can't see it lasting more than a couple of years and will gladly replace it then.
Jabberjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 02:36 AM   #5
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The tropical strap is definitely more durable, but it depends on how you wear the watch. The rubber straps are relatively less expensive compared to the leather straps.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 02:41 AM   #6
texex91
"TRF" Member

For $200'ish and change, the strap is relatively inexpensive, so no worries in my book.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 02:43 AM   #7
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
For $200'ish and change, the strap is relatively inexpensive, so no worries in my book.

If that's the case even better, you can have a new strap more often, Hey it's actually an advantage !

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 06:21 AM   #8
Preacher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex of course
I've worn my tropical 5167 everyday for two years now and the strap is still like new!
Old 13 August 2014, 06:33 AM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Sounds a bit foolish but I can't imagine her needing to sell you one so who knows. Like others stated, at 200 no worries. I'd replace it when it visually looks faded.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 07:01 AM   #10
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I could see the trop strap lasting your entire life unless you're particularly rough on it. Think of it like the tire on a car, except it never touches the road. It's not going anywhere, and should look good as new many years from now.
autohorology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 07:48 AM   #11
gqmagic
"TRF" Member

That salesperson may be better suited to selling shoes, maybe she knows more about them, maybe not.

I've had my 5167 since 5/08 and the strap is as it was from day one!! Just clean it every so often with a soft toothbrush and mild soap and no worries. (This may have helped the beach dweller above.)

Cleaning your metal bracelets like this is a good idea too, so dirt does not settle into the links creating undue wear.

Every year or two, HA!
gqmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2014, 12:27 PM   #12
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
In many shops I know more about watches than the salespeople, and I am really not an expert when it comes to watches, so never believe what they tell you, I can't see why a rubber strap won't last for a long time, 2 years seems short...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote