The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 1 January 2019, 08:55 AM   #1
usnwfu
"TRF" Member

Waitlist advice for a Newbie!

So I been lurking for a while and I been really wanting to get my first Rolex. Unfortunately at this age PM is out of the question and as of 12/31/2018 ... steel is really just not available.

I'm blessed to have a good job and pay, no debt (other than a house), but I also unfortunately have the personality of "I want what I want and I don't settle, I just rather not have it and wait attitude"... long story short I'm on the waitlist for either a Blue SkyD or 116500 for 1.5 years... I was told 3 months for SkyD and 2 years for the Daytona. I visited ADs in Europe, Caribbean, all over the USA. I really respected the ones that straight up told me I had to buy 1 PM to be on the real waitlist, like I said before with my attitude I don't mind rejection and appreciate honesty. I'm almost at the point where I want to just buy an AP/or pay grey prices...

Should I go to my AD and try to sell a story? ie... I'm only 30 with an already high net worth and I'm only getting started... before I kick the bucket I'm going to get a Lange, PP, AP, and a few Rolexes but I'm just getting started and I'd like a Sky or a Daytona.

I read a lot of comments about building a relationship, I honestly cannot fathom buying something I don't want at all to get something I want. It's not even about the money, I rather donate $5000 to a charity of the AD's choice instead of buying a datejust that I don't want... any advice? - Thanks for reading and thanks for this awesome community!
Old 1 January 2019, 09:38 AM   #2
Wristwatcherboy
"TRF" Member

As you can appreciate honesty I’ll be the first to say You need to change your attitude. Do you think you’re the first person with no debt, “under 30 and a high net worth” and a house to want to buy a Rolex? Honey wake up and join the club. You ain’t special.
Old 1 January 2019, 09:39 AM   #3
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
My first thought was good luck, but that isn't helpful. So wait a bit, it always hasn't been like this.
Old 1 January 2019, 09:41 AM   #4
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
I think you need to change your strategy.
Old 1 January 2019, 09:44 AM   #5
2024 Pledge Member

Sell a story? Not a winning strategy. Having enough money isn't enough incentive to let you jump the line.

Try the honest approach instead. It can be done but be prepared for a bit of rejection in the process.
Old 1 January 2019, 09:46 AM   #6
Wristwatcherboy
"TRF" Member

I actually find this post by the OP quite offensive.
Old 1 January 2019, 09:47 AM   #7
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

why not buy used until your list # comes up, and then sell the used.
Old 1 January 2019, 09:52 AM   #8
corrosivescale
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wristwatcherboy View Post
I actually find this post by the OP quite offensive.
I disagree. This is about the most first work problem you could possibly have, but it’s definitely something that is hard to work around. Where do you get started? Wasting money on things you don’t want is foolish.
Old 1 January 2019, 09:56 AM   #9
DESH
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the numbers..
It takes years of relationship building, and being humble.

Remember your AD always have someone that will spend or worth more than you.

Start with purchasing smalls items, build that trust, and relationship!!!

Good Luck!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1858.jpg (79.9 KB, 858 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3598.jpg (103.5 KB, 856 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2456.jpg (100.0 KB, 851 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2531.jpg (58.4 KB, 850 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3716.jpg (87.0 KB, 850 views)
Old 1 January 2019, 09:58 AM   #10
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
Blue SkyD and 500C will be very hard to get for a 1st timer.
You already waited 1.5 yrs. Your AD would of sold you both already if you were on their real list.

Go grey and enjoy or buy another model or brand.
Old 1 January 2019, 09:59 AM   #11
Wristwatcherboy
"TRF" Member

It was more his attitude and sense of self entitlement. Just because he has a personality that “doesn’t want to wait and doesn’t want to settle” that means he should get the watch he wants right now without having to wait? So he gets to jump the queue? I don’t think so babes. Typical millennial. And I don’t say that lightly as I am also one.

Do you think he’s the only guy or girl on this forum “with a high net worth”? Oh please. You want a hard to get watch? You want it on a plate or served with caviar?
Old 1 January 2019, 10:03 AM   #12
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Waitlist advice for a Newbie!

My local AD told me that the waitlist for a BLRO is 200 years. And that those watches were only for their "loyal customers".

David SW told me I could have the BLRO in 24 hours.

I'm not an actuarial scientist, but I don't think I'll live to be 252 years old.
Old 1 January 2019, 10:11 AM   #13
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
I'm not an actuarial scientist, but I don't think I'll live to be 252 years old.
You never know, science is getting better! Just dont try to convert ounces into kilograms...
Old 1 January 2019, 10:21 AM   #14
badlarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
Quote:
It was more his attitude and sense of self entitlement. Just because he has a personality that “doesn’t want to wait and doesn’t want to settle” that means he should get the watch he wants right now without having to wait? So he gets to jump the queue? I don’t think so babes. Typical millennial. And I don’t say that lightly as I am also one.

Do you think he’s the only guy or girl on this forum “with a high net worth”? Oh please. You want a hard to get watch? You want it on a plate or served with caviar?

Doesn’t have to be self entitlement, could be just a new guy asking questions as we all once were new here. With that being said I get your point as many of us do well and that alone is not a reason to be able to get what you want when we want, OP seems to speak honestly so I’ll give him benefit of the doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 January 2019, 10:28 AM   #15
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:

That’s now how I read it. The guy doesn’t want to waste money buying things he doesn’t want to get the things he does. I second that. Outside of the SS bubble, that’s totally normal. I didn’t read entitlement either. If you want a Daytona without an AD relationship, you need luck and patience. It can be done. His desire to own a hard to get piece is just as worthy as someone who has a developed AD relationship. His road will likely be longer, and most likely have a Grey involved. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt as badlarry stated.

Old 1 January 2019, 10:30 AM   #16
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
As you can appreciate honesty I’ll be the first to say You need to change your attitude. Do you think you’re the first person with no debt, “under 30 and a high net worth” and a house to want to buy a Rolex? Honey wake up and join the club. You ain’t special.
Lol
Old 1 January 2019, 10:33 AM   #17
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

AP is even worse than rolex with waitlists/grey prices so you can give up on rolex and go for AP, but nothing will change lol
Old 1 January 2019, 10:34 AM   #18
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Despite having a 10+ year relationship, and spending for some watches in 2018, I still don’t have those “coveted” pieces. That’s ok. I can wait. If they don’t eventually come, that’s also ok, I can move on and enjoy other finer things in life. Life is just too short getting bogged down with a must have list.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Old 1 January 2019, 10:35 AM   #19
usnwfu
"TRF" Member

Quote:

All I was asking was if I should maybe just go grey, my net worth wasn't a brag but I was thinking of it as... "Hey look, I'm asking a lot from you... but I have something to offer as well, I'm not a flipper, I'll be a loyal customer for years and years"

I honestly want to build a relationship as well... I just don't know how I can be more honest than just "Hey I'm asking for you to take a chance on me"

... and thanks for the personal attacks, I'm so entitled that my family immigrated from a war zone when I was 4, worked hard, and I served 2 tours in OEF/OIF and discharged with a disability. I made some risky but lucky investments and was blessed with a dream job. So please don't judge me / make assumptions from one statement...
Old 1 January 2019, 10:38 AM   #20
usnwfu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
Despite having a 10+ year relationship, and spending for some watches in 2018, I still don’t have those “coveted” pieces. That’s ok. I can wait. If they don’t eventually come, that’s also ok, I can move on and enjoy other finer things in life. Life is just too short getting bogged down with a must have list.

Thanks for reply!.... It makes me feel a little better that I'm not the only one. Sometimes I wish my AD just tell me the truth that's all... vs the "yeah we'll call you."
Old 1 January 2019, 10:39 AM   #21
usnwfu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_DESH View Post
It takes years of relationship building, and being humble.

Remember your AD always have someone that will spend or worth more than you.

Start with purchasing smalls items, build that trust, and relationship!!!

Good Luck!!!
My dream collection!.... looks like a sick ride in the back as well!
Old 1 January 2019, 10:40 AM   #22
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
So OP. I get what you’re saying and think people r a little quick too judge. You r in DC according to your bio. Find a smaller market in VA or better yet WV. Drive there. Talk to the people. Be patient. Be honest. Be friendly. Assure them you aren’t a flipper and would be willing for them to hold onto the warranty card for a year or something similar. Times r weird. You want something that a lot of people want and will have to be patient. I waited 18 months for my Daytona, with a relationship, and it was before all this nonsense started.
Also, (and not to call you out or make assumptions) but I buy Tudor and seiko as well from my AD. They know I’m a true watch guy and not just into the flavor of the month Rolex based on Instagram. If you are only interested in a ceramic Daytona or blue skydweller, what message does that send them?
Old 1 January 2019, 10:41 AM   #23
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnwfu View Post
All I was asking was if I should maybe just go grey, my net worth wasn't a brag but I was thinking of it as... "Hey look, I'm asking a lot from you... but I have something to offer as well, I'm not a flipper, I'll be a loyal customer for years and years"

I honestly want to build a relationship as well... I just don't know how I can be more honest than just "Hey I'm asking for you to take a chance on me"

... and thanks for the personal attacks, I'm so entitled that my family immigrated from a war zone when I was 4, worked hard, and I served 2 tours in OEF/OIF and discharged with a disability. I made some risky but lucky investments and was blessed with a dream job. So please don't judge me / make assumptions from one statement...
Hey USN, don't worry. Many here did not read your email as entitled; just a guy asking for advice. Clearly others are more sensitive and read more into your initial zero-tone email. Welcome to TRF.
Old 1 January 2019, 10:44 AM   #24
usnwfu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
So OP. I get what you’re saying and think people r a little quick too judge. You r in DC according to your bio. Find a smaller market in VA or better yet WV. Drive there. Talk to the people. Be patient. Be honest. Be friendly. Assure them you aren’t a flipper and would be willing for them to hold onto the warranty card for a year or something similar. Times r weird. You want something that a lot of people want and will have to be patient. I waited 18 months for my Daytona, with a relationship, and it was before all this nonsense started.
Also, (and not to call you out or make assumptions) but I buy Tudor and seiko as well from my AD. They know I’m a true watch guy and not just into the flavor of the month Rolex based on Instagram. If you are only interested in a ceramic Daytona or blue skydweller, what message does that send them?
I agree the optics in my situation is terrible... I'd let them even carve my initials on the back with a knife to prove I'm not a flipper.

It just kills me to buy something I don't want, the Catch 22 is that I really want to buy it from my AD. If I could pay over MSRP at the AD I might have already pulled the trigger.

Thanks for the advice of looking around to WV/VA ... and the reply!!
Old 1 January 2019, 10:45 AM   #25
usnwfu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
Hey USN, don't worry. Many here did not read your email as entitled; just a guy asking for advice. Clearly others are more sensitive and read more into your initial zero-tone email. Welcome to TRF.
Thanks! Glad to be here...
Old 1 January 2019, 10:52 AM   #26
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

do you not have any PM rolex you're interested in? you should be able to find a place where you can get a blue skyd or daytona with a full PM piece...and effectively establish a relationship
Old 1 January 2019, 10:53 AM   #27
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Locust makes a good point, and it's one I recognise. I'm a one watch owner, and have been for over 30 years. However, I'm looking to add a second watch in the next year (and that'll be my lot). I'm looking at a Patek SS piece: a 5167 or 5164. I'd love to get a 5711, but that requires appeasing a different God! Thus, I'm in the same boat as you, and into the teeth of this bubble. I'm looking to get a watch that ordinarily requires me to buy into the brand which I cannot do. Thus, I have to be lucky and creative to get such a piece. However, with patience, commitment and some luck, it can happen. It will take time. Many here have developed AD relationships through purchasing. However, many bought these pieces pre-bubble, when AD relationships didn't matter as much. Now they seem too, but not entirely. If you are genuine, and keep at it, you'll eventually find an AD who will help. You just need to convince them that you're not a flipper, and the watches you like (like those I like), represent the heart of this crazy SS bubble. Good luck.
Old 1 January 2019, 10:53 AM   #28
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnwfu View Post
Speaking from my own experience, this is what works best. Money is great but honesty is better. Humility is better still.

You're in DC and DC is packed with money. Money alone isn't good enough, unfortunately. You'll likely have to find a dealer in a smaller market if your goal is buying new. Take your wife or girlfriend with you. That never hurts.
Old 1 January 2019, 10:56 AM   #29
Wristwatcherboy
"TRF" Member

I’m not entirely sure how one could read it as anything other than entitled and self important.

This post could have achieved exactly the same thing without the OP indiacating he makes loads of money, owns a house, has the personality of “I want what I want and I don’t settle” and who doesn’t want to wait for anything. All of those attributes hardly make someone sound humble, dignified and like a true WIS who deserves the “hard to get” references.
Old 1 January 2019, 10:57 AM   #30
mattskybeat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by wristwatcherboy View Post
as you can appreciate honesty i’ll be the first to say you need to change your attitude. Do you think you’re the first person with no debt, “under 30 and a high net worth” and a house to want to buy a rolex? Honey wake up and join the club. You ain’t special.
x2
Closed Thread