The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 December 2018, 06:55 AM   #61
montty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
Does it have to be white or would you take black?
Thank you for asking.
Yes, I (as many others in this thread) would definitely consider black version.
montty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:56 AM   #62
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Buy one in gold
I paid less for a near new white gold piece than people are paying for SS, sorry I dont get it. And if the SS is worth more in 20 years who cares. My sporting dial is far more interesting and the weight of a PM piece is also nicer in my opinion.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 07:01 AM   #63
JPS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White&Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by montty View Post
Thank you for asking.
Yes, I (as many others in this thread) would definitely consider black version.
Get your name down with your local AD & keep chipping away! I got mine white steel Daytona a week ago & it was through heavy perseverance & being local to the AD as they want to sell to people they know in the local area & not those that are liable to sell the watch as they acquire it. That’s the key. As my AD knows that I own my watches, I do not sell, even more so when it comes to the Daytona.
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 07:05 AM   #64
montty
"TRF" Member

I know that this forum is being read by people from all around the world. So if there anyone aware of Daytona sitting in ADs window or safe at catalogue price anywhere in the world, please do let me know and I will buy it immediately and will thank you a lot and will send you a box of nice wine.
Old 30 December 2018, 07:34 AM   #65
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I know that this forum is being read by people from all around the world. So if there anyone aware of Daytona sitting in ADs window or safe at catalogue price anywhere in the world, please do let me know and I will buy it immediately and will thank you a lot and will send you a box of nice wine.
they only sit in safes for people that are willing to bundle. they will not sit in the window lol. are you willing to bundle?
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 07:35 AM   #66
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
they only sit in safes for people that are willing to bundle. they will not sit in the window lol. are you willing to bundle?
Out of curiosity, what would one have to bundle to get a Daytona or a BLRO?
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 07:37 AM   #67
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
a DD40 should be enough for a BLRO, not sure about a daytona

someone here made a thread recently where they got a BLRO with a RG DD40
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 07:38 AM   #68
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you buy abroad just pay the 20% VAT tax. Only makes it around £12K which is much lower than any grey, but then ADs know this too which is why they expect tourists to come looking and thus they have no reason to sell to you, a lowly one time buyer.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 07:41 AM   #69
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
These days seems to be at least a PM, or maybe 2/3 DJs.
Old 30 December 2018, 07:42 AM   #70
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wine? What are we talking Blue Nun or Romanee Conti?
Old 30 December 2018, 07:49 AM   #71
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Does it have to be white or would you take black?
Unfortunately, the black dial is still next to impossible to source for someone with no AD history.
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 08:54 AM   #72
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
No chance your going to get one at retail without a relationship or bundle.

I know it’s not what you want to hear but it’s reality - your going to have to go grey
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 09:21 AM   #73
Ignace Worang
"TRF" Member

Nope...that’s not entirely true.....some cities with family owned ad’s are great to get sought after pieces......i actually bought 6 ss models over the years....from 3 family owned ad’s in 3 cities & countries.
Ignace Worang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 09:33 AM   #74
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignace Worang View Post
Nope...that’s not entirely true.....some cities with family owned ad’s are great to get sought after pieces......i actually bought 6 ss models over the years....from 3 family owned ad’s in 3 cities & countries.
Try now for a SS Daytona. Times have changed considerably

You would have to be immensely fortunate as a first time buyer
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 10:30 AM   #75
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
Depends on your collection....if you wanted to add a particular color dial and model combo......why would you take anything you could get your hands on?

I guess I dont understand the "ill take whatever you got" mentality with hard to get pieces.

If I wanted something I would get exactly what I wanted or pay a little more to get it.

It’s not an, “I’ll take anything.” It’s an appreciation for the watch. Period. I’m not a Daytona fan. I do think the white dial really pops. The black dial is more stealthy. However, if I’m after the watch, and I have to wait years for a white dial or 12 months for a black dial, I’ll take the black dial. Both are outstanding. If someone just wants the white dial or nothing, I’d find that peculiar frankly. It tells me that there something more is going on, and I’d question the motivation of the buyer.

If every person who wants a SS 5711 PP was offered a 5712, I think you’d find huge numbers taking that offer because they really appreciate the nautilus watch. If you can get want you want at MSRP, go for it. However, for almost all, that’s unrealistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 01:09 PM   #76
alexintheair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,PP
I am new to Rolex. I helped my friends got SS model Sub,GMT from my ADs. I was lucky enough to found some SS, but once the topic came to SS daytona, all my ADs say sorry, cannot promise anything. Just put my name on the "list". I even don't think most of ADs have a list, but it all about relationship. Relationship almost equals $$$$ history and potential of you. I bought some Hermes Birkin for my ex-girlfriend, now she's my wife.... It is the same story, all of my female friends said that they never find the bad, but I do get a bag from the shop every time I visited(1-2 times a year).
alexintheair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 01:43 PM   #77
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watch View Post
I think it really depends...if it was purchased at retail from an AD and flipped, likely yes. If sold by an AD direct to secondary market, maybe not. At least that’s what happens with many other top tier brands, so as not to jeopardize your AD status with the brand.
Rolex knows what serial numbers are shipped to what dealers. Warranty card not being stamped doesn’t disguise anything.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 02:28 PM   #78
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Grey..
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 03:32 PM   #79
shortsqueeze
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Get your name down with your local AD & keep chipping away! I got mine white steel Daytona a week ago & it was through heavy perseverance & being local to the AD as they want to sell to people they know in the local area & not those that are liable to sell the watch as they acquire it. That’s the key. As my AD knows that I own my watches, I do not sell, even more so when it comes to the Daytona.
Bingo. Said far too infrequently.
shortsqueeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:04 PM   #80
Wiener48
Banned

A1 - absoltly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibbyx View Post
I think the white gold on oyster flex is a nicer watch and not that much more than you will end up paying for steel one
Wiener48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 08:19 PM   #81
montty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Wine? What are we talking Blue Nun or Romanee Conti?
Would you rather prefer a box of fine french brandy?

Does anyone know a reputable AD that accepts names on Daytona list? Ok to pay a substantial deposit and wait for 1-2yr?
Old 30 December 2018, 08:24 PM   #82
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Try now for a SS Daytona. Times have changed considerably

You would have to be immensely fortunate as a first time buyer
agreed. There really are no shortcuts here. Its gotten way worse generally just this year, so getting on a Daytona WL last december is a different thing entirely than getting on one today.

Then you have the fact that the UK has an extra degree of difficulty on top of that. You know you are in bizarro world when you are in an AD on boxing day see chinese tourists come in a bus and get dropped off in front of the AD. Literally a bus. I would imagine its similar in other european countries with high and refundable VAT, which is pretty much all of them.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 10:07 PM   #83
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
I don't even drink - except coffee!! :)

Quote:
Would you rather prefer a box of fine french brandy?

Does anyone know a reputable AD that accepts names on Daytona list? Ok to pay a substantial deposit and wait for 1-2yr?

Hello,
Just logged in (newbie alert!)

.....in my early reply I mentioned my AD has a black one.

I did add later that they want almost DOUBLE RETAIL for it, as they deem it to be second hand.

HAVE CONTACTED MODERATOR OVER THIS - as can't seem to find (or not able to as new) edit the post - but SEVERAL HUNDRED PM's to me from "deserving" individuals who all want to own, and certainly not flip the watch - it both distracting to them and me! - with my apologies, did not want to waste anyones time or get expectations and hearbeats racing!

Please be aware as I am trying to edit the post, as quite frankly I would have been wearing it at msrp - and either "settled" for black face - even though I desire the white semi panda look - which does really "pop" in my view.

I think everyone understands the watch is selling grey at about £5000 over retail here?
....so the lorry? offered carrying the booze to me seems unlikely and unwelcome, as a confirmed and serious Coffee lover :)
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 10:22 PM   #84
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveclock View Post
Hello,
Just logged in (newbie alert!)

.....in my early reply I mentioned my AD has a black one.

I did add later that they want almost DOUBLE RETAIL for it, as they deem it to be second hand.

HAVE CONTACTED MODERATOR OVER THIS - as can't seem to find (or not able to as new) edit the post - but SEVERAL HUNDRED PM's to me from "deserving" individuals who all want to own, and certainly not flip the watch - it both distracting to them and me! - with my apologies, did not want to waste anyones time or get expectations and hearbeats racing!

Please be aware as I am trying to edit the post, as quite frankly I would have been wearing it at msrp - and either "settled" for black face - even though I desire the white semi panda look - which does really "pop" in my view.

I think everyone understands the watch is selling grey at about £5000 over retail here?
....so the lorry? offered carrying the booze to me seems unlikely and unwelcome, as a confirmed and serious Coffee lover :)

leave the guy alone

If it sounds too good to be true, it is
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 30 December 2018, 11:04 PM   #85
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
agreed. There really are no shortcuts here. Its gotten way worse generally just this year, so getting on a Daytona WL last december is a different thing entirely than getting on one today.

Then you have the fact that the UK has an extra degree of difficulty on top of that. You know you are in bizarro world when you are in an AD on boxing day see chinese tourists come in a bus and get dropped off in front of the AD. Literally a bus. I would imagine its similar in other european countries with high and refundable VAT, which is pretty much all of them.
I was in Wempe a couple of years ago when the staff were getting ready to clear us out for a busload of Chinese tourists, they started practicing their 1 to 10s in Mandarin and everything. Thought their economy was supposed to be going down... not fast enough.
Old 30 December 2018, 11:09 PM   #86
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I was in Wempe a couple of years ago when the staff were getting ready to clear us out for a busload of Chinese tourists, they started practicing their 1 to 10s in Mandarin and everything. Thought their economy was supposed to be going down... not fast enough.
it was the weirdest thing i have ever seen. Its not the first time ive been in there with large tourist groups going in there though, it just was never a bus load.

I remember one time this summer i was trying stuff on and they kept trying to pick my BLRO up off the table. It was my watch, but i guess anything not bolted down was fair game. Totally bizarre. Just walking by and grabbing it, and it happened more than twice until they finally moved me upstairs.
Old 30 December 2018, 11:17 PM   #87
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
it was the weirdest thing i have ever seen. Its not the first time ive been in there with large tourist groups going in there though, it just was never a bus load.

I remember one time this summer i was trying stuff on and they kept trying to pick my BLRO up off the table. It was my watch, but i guess anything not bolted down was fair game. Totally bizarre. Just walking by and grabbing it, and it happened more than twice until they finally moved me upstairs.
I'm Chinese and came from Taiwan to the states when I was young... So I've seen first hand the growth of China especially doing business with them over the last 17 years and watching the immigration status quo change for Asians through the years.... What you witnessed is far from shocking....I just try to avoid them at all costs. Hence why I rarely go to Ginza when I'm in Japan for example. I do love to shame them once in awhile though when they do rude crap to my family and I surprise them telling them in Chinese it's not ok.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 11:36 PM   #88
Dj_masse
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Lange 1 Daymat
Quote:

AD’s where I’m from get offered $10,000 above MSRP with full payment in advance, and they still wont put them on their “5 year wait” list (which is pure fantasy also, all about the relationship). I’m sorry to say, I think it’s very naive to think you’ll find one on your terms especially with no purchase history. Like saying “I want to buy stocks in Apple, but I only want to pay the IPO price”. These “premiums” above MSRP reflects current market value, and while you wait on the sidelines you’re missing out on the enjoyment of the piece, and most likely, are pricing yourself out altogether if they continue to rise. Not to mention the added the stress of trying to acquire one.

Pay market price and enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex 16570 (Polar)
Dj_masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2018, 12:32 AM   #89
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are 2 aspects to this particular option -

- the first aspect is purely theoretical, anything that worth more than c. £400 from outside EU should be declared at customs. Once, I went through the red corridor in LHR to declare an expensive camera I bought in ME and officer just waved his hand saying not to bother...

- the second aspect is practical. Millions of watches and other expensive items being bought outside EU and brought to the UK without any declarations and extra taxes. My experience might be limited, but I have never heard of anyone being forced to pay extra tax at the airport.

Now, I dont want to sidetrack the discussion and would suggest to leave this particular topic aside... Under any scenario taxes that one will pay for daytona will be less that £10k and these £££ will go HMRC not to hucksters that are essentially the reason for this weird situation.
Guess you missed that thread from the pilot who had his GMT confiscated
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2018, 12:43 AM   #90
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
Guess you missed that thread from the pilot who had his GMT confiscated
i remember that one

this is a forum with a huge amount of enabling, its part of why people are here as they need to justify a decision. All some people need is a nudge to make a decision, so its ridiculous to enable something that can get them in legal trouble. Thats my point.

Im not judging what people do or don't do at customs. Im saying dont be that guy who says go ahead and break the law, its not big deal and you probably won't get caught. Its just bad advise.