The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 29 July 2019, 10:13 AM   #31
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All

One of these cost me $425. One cost $24,000. One is a work of art and I feel special with it on. But one has a shark’s tail second hand. A G** D*** shark’s tail. Not sure which makes me happier but I lean towards the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2019, 10:17 AM   #32
CalSRQ1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post

One of these cost me $425. One cost $24,000. One is a work of art and I feel special with it on. But one has a shark’s tail second hand. A G** D*** shark’s tail. Not sure which makes me happier but I lean towards the latter.

love the sharks tail.
CalSRQ1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 04:55 PM   #33
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Never noticed that second hand before. Now making me think. Hmmm.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2019, 02:25 AM   #34
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
If one is really about THE WATCH, and not the luxury, marketing, and hype...Seiko cannot be ignored.
This.
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2019, 05:22 AM   #35
SixTee2
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko fell victim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
...ironic that Seiko's flagship brands Grand Seiko and King Seiko fell victim to the quartz crisis as well as many Swiss firms, but the Swiss were developing quartz in the earliest days too, it's just that Seiko was better at mass production and global marketing.
In several ways Seiko created the crisis and in the process, became the world's largest watch manufacturer, not a victim at all.
SixTee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2019, 05:47 AM   #36
SixTee2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
I’ve been collecting for years, I have multiple Pateks, AP, Vacheron, etc. and whether justified or not, I always just lumped Seiko in with the others like Casio and Timex. But over the years I kept hearing well respected collectors refer to Seiko and I just never really understood it. Can someone on here please explain to me the allure of Seiko to someone who is a WIS. What makes Seiko special? Why do people with Pateks etc. also collect Seiko? Please explain to me what I’ve been missing in my collecting all these years. What are the most popular Seiko pieces?
What makes Seiko special? Performance, innovation and quality.

Pick up a Credor, any of the favorites you mention plus a loupe, then compare. You'll quickly discover that's unfair, so step down to a Grand Seiko and repeat. After detecting equivalent or even superior dial and hands work on the Grand Seiko models, examine movements. Bridge and plate edges & polish, screw countersinks, screws themselves, perlage and striping. Then look at prices.

If the respective movements were disassembled and examined under even microscopes, the Grand Seiko movements fare quite well. The biggest difference will be the absence of gold rotors for Seikos.

Turn to movement accuracy, reliability and durability; all Seiko movements match or often outperform their competitors in each price range. Inexpensive Seiko automatics (a $100 watch or less) will run reliably and accurately every day for 10-15 years with no service. The higher up the food chain, the better the features and durability.

Only two manufacturers make 5 beat automatics anymore, Seiko and Zenith (the movement Rolex used in Daytonas for a long time, but SLOWED DOWN beats)

Seiko's Spring Drive is the most accurate mainspring driven movement in the world by a BIG margin.

Rolex are admired - correctly - for making strong & durable watches. Under equivalent use, impacts will be resisted even better by a Grand Seiko, any two equivalent models (meaning size and complications).

Moving down the range to mid level Seikos, 8-10 of them can be bought for the price of 1 (one) Rolex for example, yet approach the quality, accuracy, reliability and durability of many watches which cost 5 to 7 times as much.

Find a GS dealer, go look. Doubt every word I've just written.
SixTee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2019, 07:04 AM   #37
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:

and don't forget that dorsal fin peeking out of the waves by the "8" marker...
Old 31 July 2019, 08:15 AM   #38
patrolmi
"TRF" Member

Spring drive movement for me. Smoothest sweep in the watch world.
patrolmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2019, 08:17 AM   #39
patrolmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
and don't forget that dorsal fin peeking out of the waves by the "8" marker...
What model is that seiko?
Old 31 July 2019, 08:27 AM   #40
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixTee2 View Post
In several ways Seiko created the crisis and in the process, became the world's largest watch manufacturer, not a victim at all.
Read my post again. I said that the King Seiko and Grand Seiko mechanical lines ironically fell victm to the quartz crisis that Seiko largely created, as they were discontinued (permanently for KS, and many years for GS) in the mid 1970s. I wasn't talking about Seiko itself as a company falling victim.
Old 31 July 2019, 08:32 AM   #41
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Grand Seiko and King Seiko are the brands referenced as having fallen victim. Not quite the same as Seiko. I don’t think anyone would argue that Seiko as a whole did not benefit from the ‘quartz crisis’. It is probably not accurate to characterize it as created by Seiko though. There were many players contributing to developing quartz movements. They weren’t all successful.

Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2019, 08:36 AM   #42
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolmi View Post
SRPD21. Save the ocean turtle v.3
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2019, 09:22 AM   #43
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Quote:
What makes Seiko special? Performance, innovation and quality.

Pick up a Credor, any of the favorites you mention plus a loupe, then compare. You'll quickly discover that's unfair, so step down to a Grand Seiko and repeat. After detecting equivalent or even superior dial and hands work on the Grand Seiko models, examine movements. Bridge and plate edges & polish, screw countersinks, screws themselves, perlage and striping. Then look at prices.

If the respective movements were disassembled and examined under even microscopes, the Grand Seiko movements fare quite well. The biggest difference will be the absence of gold rotors for Seikos.

Turn to movement accuracy, reliability and durability; all Seiko movements match or often outperform their competitors in each price range. Inexpensive Seiko automatics (a $100 watch or less) will run reliably and accurately every day for 10-15 years with no service. The higher up the food chain, the better the features and durability.

Only two manufacturers make 5 beat automatics anymore, Seiko and Zenith (the movement Rolex used in Daytonas for a long time, but SLOWED DOWN beats)

Seiko's Spring Drive is the most accurate mainspring driven movement in the world by a BIG margin.

Rolex are admired - correctly - for making strong & durable watches. Under equivalent use, impacts will be resisted even better by a Grand Seiko, any two equivalent models (meaning size and complications).

Moving down the range to mid level Seikos, 8-10 of them can be bought for the price of 1 (one) Rolex for example, yet approach the quality, accuracy, reliability and durability of many watches which cost 5 to 7 times as much.

Find a GS dealer, go look. Doubt every word I've just written.
Thank you for that, it is quite helpful as I increase my knowledge on GS. I found a GS dealer about 1.5 hours away, will try and head there at some point.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2019, 09:24 AM   #44
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Be careful they are addictive.
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2019, 12:01 PM   #45
patrolmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
SRPD21. Save the ocean turtle v.3
Just what I needed!! Thank you. Seiko is the greatest bargain for mechanical watches.
Old 31 July 2019, 06:45 PM   #46
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolmi View Post
SRPD21 – the Save The Ocean Great White Shark edition.
There’s two versions, the international one, with black/blue bezel insert, and the domestic market variant with grey/blue insert.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2019, 09:19 PM   #47
RamyAshour
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Check out this podcast on Hodinkee, where founder Ben Clymer says that some guy working for Patek says that Patek should be embarrased by their level of craftmanship compared to that of GrandSeiko at similar price points. Pretty awesome.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ho...-four-om-malik

At around 13:00 min in
RamyAshour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 01:32 PM   #48
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

I suppose it all depends on how your watch collecting journey evolved... if you started collecting watches after achieving a great deal of financial freedom, and just wanted to "fit in with the cool kids" sporting PP/AP/Rolex, then I can understand the lack of interest in Seiko.

For those of us who have always loved watches, and always bought he best watch we could afford, Our journey would almost invariably have taken us through Seiko..

As the ability to spend more evolved, we may have gotten into other brands...

At least for myself, going from broke watch loving student, to broke watch loving med student, to semi-broke watch loving resident, to barely out of debt fresh Doc, to well established veteran physician, my collection started with Seiko 5, and hand-me-down Seikos, but can now boast PP, AP, VC, UN, Breguet, multiple Rolex/Omega etc etc...

Along that journey, if rooted in an unwavering love of watches, we learn about the history of each brand that we would consider buying, and the contributions of each brand to the world of Horology.

The challenging part is being brutally honest with yourself, when you have to admit that a seiko Turtle feels a hell of a lot like an Omega Seamaster on the wrist...

I respect Seiko more than any other brand for the pride they take, even in making the entry level brands... it lets me know that the Pride I felt in wearing it, and the Pride my Grandfather felt in receiving a Seiko for his 25 yr Return of Service watch, was well intended.

Although now that I can indulge in almost any brand, I still find myself drawn to their watchmaking philosophy... and with the Grand Seiko, I can honestly say that the details and finishing, and "wrist feel" is on par, or surpasses the "Trilogy"..

How can you not love a brand that is obsessively passionate about being the best in the business, and offering the best quality of product at the most fair price possible to the end-user??

If you love watches, it shouldn't be a mystery... if you love "flexing" then it becomes the worlds greatest enigma as to Why anyone who could flex a PP would choose to wear a $500 Seiko...
Old 3 August 2019, 01:46 PM   #49
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
I’ve been collecting for years, I have multiple Pateks, AP, Vacheron, etc. and whether justified or not, I always just lumped Seiko in with the others like Casio and Timex. But over the years I kept hearing well respected collectors refer to Seiko and I just never really understood it. Can someone on here please explain to me the allure of Seiko to someone who is a WIS. What makes Seiko special? Why do people with Pateks etc. also collect Seiko? Please explain to me what I’ve been missing in my collecting all these years. What are the most popular Seiko pieces?

The Japanese are a culture that takes a lot of pride in what they do and when they do something high end, just about anything high end they tend to do it extremely well. I have verified this across the following areas;

1. Whisky
2. HiFi
3. Food
4. Nihonto (swords, which I also collect/study)
5. Cars
6. Art

This also applies to the Grand Seiko watches.

There is a fair chunk of love and obsession in what they do and it tends to show.

GS is also not priced in the upper atmosphere so its far more but not overly accessible. And also extremely accurate when it comes to time keeping.

That's my take on it.
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 01:59 PM   #50
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
I suppose it all depends on how your watch collecting journey evolved... if you started collecting watches after achieving a great deal of financial freedom, and just wanted to "fit in with the cool kids" sporting PP/AP/Rolex, then I can understand the lack of interest in Seiko.

For those of us who have always loved watches, and always bought he best watch we could afford, Our journey would almost invariably have taken us through Seiko..

At least for myself, going from broke watch loving student, to broke watch loving med student, to semi-broke watch loving resident, to barely out of debt fresh Doc, to well established veteran physician, my collection started with Seiko 5, and hand-me-down Seikos, but can now boast PP, AP, VC, UN, Breguet, multiple Rolex/Omega etc etc...

Along that journey, if rooted in an unwavering love of watches, we learn about the history of each brand that we would consider buying, and the contributions of each brand to the world of Horology.

The challenging part is being brutally honest with yourself, when you have to admit that a seiko Turtle feels a hell of a lot like an Omega Seamaster on the wrist...

I respect Seiko more than any other brand for the pride they take, even in making the entry level brands... it lets me know that the Pride I felt in wearing it, and the Pride my Grandfather felt in receiving a Seiko for his 25 yr Return of Service watch, was well intended.

Although now that I can indulge in almost any brand, I still find myself drawn to their watchmaking philosophy... and with the Grand Seiko, I can honestly say that the details and finishing, and "wrist feel" is on par, or surpasses the "Trilogy"..

How can you not love a brand that is obsessively passionate about being the best in the business, and offering the best quality of product at the most fair price possible to the end-user??

If you love watches, it shouldn't be a mystery... if you love "flexing" then it becomes the worlds greatest enigma as to Why anyone who could flex a PP would choose to wear a $500 Seiko...
Great post
Old 3 August 2019, 02:04 PM   #51
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Quote:

Thank you for that, it was quite insightful hearing this. Which Grand Seikos are in your collection?
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 02:22 PM   #52
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Couldnt have said it any better.
Old 3 August 2019, 03:26 PM   #53
111forza
"TRF" Member

Quote:

SAY NO MORE
111forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 04:31 PM   #54
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
Well, there are a wealth of information online nowadays on GS, they are easy to find. I think if you came with a question on specific models you will get better responses instead of just asking I collect AP, PP, and etc., what’s so good about Seiko?

It sounded condescending as if Seiko collectors needed to convince you that Seiko is worthy to be part of your collection.
Agree. And good catch Sir.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 08:33 PM   #55
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:

That is without doubt a fabulous post.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 09:36 PM   #56
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Just realized. My PP, AP and VC sit in same box as my GS.

Old 3 August 2019, 10:11 PM   #57
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Its a watch for a true WIS.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 11:29 PM   #58
Jostack
"TRF" Member

And if if you think it is strange, you know Seiko admirers admiring Seiko’s, stop in the Rolex general forum. It is far more of a circle jerk, with an occasional interesting post.

Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 12:05 AM   #59
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Same My box doesn’t discriminate. Not pictured is the SBGN005
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C41B0B12-09BC-4E42-8DF9-20F8481392F6.jpeg (120.2 KB, 120 views)
Old 4 August 2019, 12:13 AM   #60
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostack View Post
And if if you think it is strange, you know Seiko admirers admiring Seiko’s, stop in the Rolex general forum. It is far more of a circle jerk, with an occasional interesting post.

^This