The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 4 August 2019, 12:34 AM   #61
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Very well said SUPERDOC. My journey was much the same. Funny thing is for me that once I got a little money, I totally went away from seiko and fell in love with Tudor, JLC and to a lesser extent Rolex. Always loved Grand Seiko from afar but didn’t pick one up til just 2.5 years ago. My grail was always a royal oak. I think it took me acquiring some of the big dogs to really appreciate what you get for $400 with a turtle, or even the crazy value in my sla017 which is one of my most beautiful watches for how light plays, right up there with the royal oak (minus the bracelet of course, nothing can touch a royal oak bracelet). Seiko is just the best. Solidly built. Reliable. Beautiful dials and colorful. And that’s not even bringing grand seiko into the discussion. Everyone should go watch the Horology house video on the sbge245. Holy crap the micro finishing!!!!
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 12:38 AM   #62
Locust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarm981 View Post
Same My box doesn’t discriminate. Not pictured is the SBGN005
I really think the sbge245 is one of the best modern watches available for sale today. It’s just on another level with the color scheme they chose.
Old 4 August 2019, 12:43 AM   #63
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Agree on sbge245
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A053A259-E9F7-4DE0-8162-5401800DB67B.jpeg (119.5 KB, 197 views)
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 12:52 AM   #64
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I went into a Rolex AD the other month in Leeds, he noticed my Grand Seiko and said, "we like it when people come in here wearing Grand Seiko's, they know about watches." I thought it was very kind of him and I was quite chuffed that he had given me such a compliment.

I didnt tell him that I didn't really know a lot about watches but knew what I liked.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 01:12 AM   #65
efthi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I would like to try a GS.. but which one? I have a 116520, Hulk and Batman in my collection along with an Omega PO Limited liquidmetal..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
efthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 01:25 AM   #66
Locust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efthi View Post
I would like to try a GS.. but which one? I have a 116520, Hulk and Batman in my collection along with an Omega PO Limited liquidmetal..

See the above comments for my rec
Old 4 August 2019, 01:46 AM   #67
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efthi View Post

On the SBGE245 I have a hard time with the bezel. It is a personal preference, but it just seems overpowering to me.

I’ve got the SBGA031

I love it, but I wish it were a little thinner. It’s proportions are good with 44mm dia, but a little thinner would be awesome.

Most recent is the SBGN001.

I love all of the sbgn series. I’m still waiting to see a detectable variation in accuracy, but it has only been about 18days.

I’m looking hard at the SBGW231

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 02:08 AM   #68
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeikoBake View Post
One way to get into Seiko is to try their hallmark SKX007J. Make sure to buy the made in “Japan” version, and outfit with a stainless MilTAT strap. This is how I caught the Seiko bug....
Unfortunately, the “made in Japan” is a very loose term. If the work is supervised by a Japanese national, under Japanese laws, it is considered made in Japan. I have read a few reports of people opening their made in Japan case to find out that some parts, such as the case had “made in China” inscribed inside the case.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 02:28 AM   #69
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Seiko was my first well made automatic watch.

Grand seiko is one of my more recent purchases and it shows the high level that seiko is capable of.

Overall just another worthwhile option among your choices. If you don’t get it now, maybe tomorrow. Inquiring is the first step

Ps. You received many thoughtful responses here and like others said, don’t focus on the negative.

Pps you have Adam, one of the finest and knowledgeable seiko advocates on the forum following along, enjoy.
Old 4 August 2019, 02:39 AM   #70
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostack View Post

I love all of the sbgn series. I’m still waiting to see a detectable variation in accuracy, but it has only been about 18days.

I’m looking hard at the SBGW231

231 is a great looking watch! I have a 253 just a little larger/ better fit for me.

Big fan of the no date offerings by GS.
Old 4 August 2019, 02:49 AM   #71
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
Unfortunately, the “made in Japan” is a very loose term. If the work is supervised by a Japanese national, under Japanese laws, it is considered made in Japan. I have read a few reports of people opening their made in Japan case to find out that some parts, such as the case had “made in China” inscribed inside the case.

This infers that Seiko is guilty of this. Do you have any non-anecdotal evidence of this?

Old 4 August 2019, 02:53 AM   #72
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
231 is a great looking watch! I have a 253 just a little larger/ better fit for me.

Big fan of the no date offerings by GS.

Thanks for complicating my 231 contemplation:)

Old 4 August 2019, 03:07 AM   #73
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

The problem is most people associate Seiko with gold plated mall watches but once you step into the Prospex or Presage models its starts making sense, amazing build quality and value for the price point

My SPB051 gets a TON of wrist time and can hang with the best of them

denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 03:37 AM   #74
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This infers that Seiko is guilty of this. Do you have any non-anecdotal evidence of this?

Some basic googling does in fact show that Seiko does have subsidiaries in China.

Old 4 August 2019, 08:36 AM   #75
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Some basic googling does in fact show that Seiko does have subsidiaries in China.

And some of their watches clearly say Made in China on the outer caseback, but I doubt that any Seiko marked Made in Japan was simply made in another country under Japanese supervision.
Old 4 August 2019, 08:46 AM   #76
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Quote:

Yes, I’d expect that from Seiko, but the real question is does a Grand Seiko have them in China as well??
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 09:00 AM   #77
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Yes, I’d expect that from Seiko, but the real question is does a Grand Seiko have them in China as well??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
And some of their watches clearly say Made in China on the outer caseback, but I doubt that any Seiko marked Made in Japan was simply made in another country under Japanese supervision.

I agree. Manufacture of some parts being done in another country shouldn’t surprise anyone. I would be shocked if assembly or any actual ‘watchmaking’ is being done by Seiko in China.

Old 4 August 2019, 09:06 AM   #78
Old Expat Beast

Some of thee cheapest Seikos are made in China and other countries, but Grand Seiko are made at a specific facility in Japan. Find the Hodinkee GS factory videos on Youtube.
Old 4 August 2019, 10:00 AM   #79
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
A thinking man's WISwatch

Cheers
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 10:19 AM   #80
PJ S
Banned

^
Two facilities – one which only does mechanical movement models, the other which does Spring Drive and Quartz.

http://www.timezone.com/2014/11/07/j...y-tour-part-1/
http://www.timezone.com/2015/01/08/j...james-dowling/

http://seiko.watchprosite.com/?show=...&ti=956308&s=0
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 01:13 PM   #81
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Agreed. If you know the Japanese, you know there’s no way they’re taking responsibility (or blame) for something that they did not produce.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 02:06 PM   #82
BlueNote
"TRF" Member

I have two collections. One made up of Rolex, VC, JLC, Omega plus some UG, Heuer and Breitling vintage chronos. The other is a Seiko collection, mostly vintage. They live happily together just as one can enjoy a fine suit as much as a well worn pair of comfortable jeans. Much of this very worthwhile and interesting thread centers on Grand Seiko. For good reason, GS offers innovative movements, stellar accuracy and superb fit and finish. I have an SBGE001 GMT Spring Drive, it’s my most accurate watch at <.25 / day.

But Seiko made many other interesting and innovative non GS watches that are fun to collect. Here’s a few that might help answer the OPs question.
This 6218 made in the early 60s is one of my fav Seikos. The 6200 movement series were capable of terrific accuracy and a 62 movement was used for early GS watches. Mine keeps COSC time after 50 years.

The 6127 World Time was made for the 1964 summer Olympics in Tokyo. It’s just a simple, fun and attractive watch.

The 5146 Presmatic hi-beat is one of my favorite weekend watches. I’m wearing it now. So called because you press a small button in the center of the crown to change the date, an innovative feature. Over 45 years old it keeps -2.5 time consistently.

I just love watches especially those with interesting stories and innovative features. And I can find those attributes in Seiko as well as in Rolex and other luxury brands.
BlueNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 02:12 PM   #83
Old Expat Beast

Yeah, vintage Grand Seiko vs vintage Rolex is a discussion well worth having in depth sometime.

Big Seikomatic fan here...you should post some pics in the Vintage Gallery: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=618534

Old 4 August 2019, 02:29 PM   #84
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNote View Post
I have two collections. One made up of Rolex, VC, JLC, Omega plus some UG, Heuer and Breitling vintage chronos. The other is a Seiko collection, mostly vintage. They live happily together just as one can enjoy a fine suit as much as a well worn pair of comfortable jeans. Much of this very worthwhile and interesting thread centers on Grand Seiko. For good reason, GS offers innovative movements, stellar accuracy and superb fit and finish. I have an SBGE001 GMT Spring Drive, it’s my most accurate watch at <.25 / day.

But Seiko made many other interesting and innovative non GS watches that are fun to collect. Here’s a few that might help answer the OPs question.
This 6218 made in the early 60s is one of my fav Seikos. The 6200 movement series were capable of terrific accuracy and a 62 movement was used for early GS watches. Mine keeps COSC time after 50 years.

The 6127 World Time was made for the 1964 summer Olympics in Tokyo. It’s just a simple, fun and attractive watch.

The 5146 Presmatic hi-beat is one of my favorite weekend watches. I’m wearing it now. So called because you press a small button in the center of the crown to change the date, an innovative feature. Over 45 years old it keeps -2.5 time consistently.

I just love watches especially those with interesting stories and innovative features. And I can find those attributes in Seiko as well as in Rolex and other luxury brands.

Awesome watches.

Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 09:49 PM   #85
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice collection.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 04:16 AM   #86
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
I was in the same boat as you for awhile. I owned numerous Seikos growing up (I thought they were luxury in high school!), but once I got into "nice" watches, I didn't understand the allure of Seiko or Grand Seiko.

That is until I saw one in the flesh and I was floored, especially with the price. Nothing compared at the price point, and even in comparison to other high-end Swiss watches (VC, Patek, etc.), GS feels at least on par with them.

I think it's one of those brands that you just have to see for yourself; I know I found the perfect GS for me, and it isn't going anywhere...ever.

Old 8 August 2019, 06:35 AM   #87
Talbel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarm981 View Post
Agree on sbge245
Yep... love the 245
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EF425AF4-9506-4A15-BE80-8C1ECA592720.jpeg (290.9 KB, 100 views)
Talbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 03:16 PM   #88
pbhoro
"TRF" Member

Unbeatable value for money
pbhoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 09:55 PM   #89
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
I was in the same boat as you for awhile. I owned numerous Seikos growing up (I thought they were luxury in high school!), but once I got into "nice" watches, I didn't understand the allure of Seiko or Grand Seiko.

That is until I saw one in the flesh and I was floored, especially with the price. Nothing compared at the price point, and even in comparison to other high-end Swiss watches (VC, Patek, etc.), GS feels at least on par with them.

I think it's one of those brands that you just have to see for yourself; I know I found the perfect GS for me, and it isn't going anywhere...ever.
Great looking watch