The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 December 2005, 02:57 AM   #31
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Will regular cleaning affect my COSC performance?
You can ask that one TimeZone........
Old 17 December 2005, 02:59 AM   #32
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Will regular cleaning affect my COSC performance?
Only if you clean the movement under the tap
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2005, 02:59 AM   #33
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
You can ask that one TimeZone........
I did and also posted a non-TZ link and I got banned.
Old 17 December 2005, 04:12 AM   #34
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Al, that was a very informative post, thanks! But I think I read somewhere on the other forum that the 904L also contains a higher amount of Nickel...so anyone allergic to that would obviously come up with a rash wearing Rolex bracelets. Is this true?

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2005, 04:48 AM   #35
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Al, that was a very informative post, thanks! But I think I read somewhere on the other forum that the 904L also contains a higher amount of Nickel...so anyone allergic to that would obviously come up with a rash wearing Rolex bracelets. Is this true?

JJ
Ask therashman.
Old 17 December 2005, 04:50 AM   #36
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Ask therashman.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 17 December 2005, 05:50 AM   #37
----

Quote:

JJ
Yes, the range for 316L is 10-14% Nickel, and for 904L it's 23-28%.....
Old 17 December 2005, 06:06 AM   #38
Atomic

Quote:
Yes, the range for 316L is 10-14% Nickel, and for 904L it's 23-28%.....

Hmmm, the nickel percentage in a Rolex bracelet also corresponds to the a-hole percentage who wear them.
Old 17 December 2005, 07:52 AM   #39
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Hmmm, the nickel percentage in a Rolex bracelet also corresponds to the a-hole percentage who wear them.
Quite the frivolous mood we are in, uh Johnny? Must be all that damned snow out there!

Old 18 December 2005, 09:55 AM   #40
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2005, 10:33 PM   #41
BillKirk
"TRF" Member

Should I be dismayed?

Got my Dad's circa 1960 SS Oysterdate Precision back from the Rolex Service Centre in Sydney yesterday following a full overhaul/restoration. Dad was a school teacher and this watch was just about the only extravagance he took in his life. He bought it new and wore it daily until he passed away age 90 two years ago. He justified several trips to Geneva over the years, so he could have the watch serviced at the point of origin.

Somewhere along the line the original bracelet was replaced with a non-Rolex brand that didn't fit properly, it rubbed the serial numbers enough that the first few digits are no longer legible. Due to this, I decided to get a proper replacement bracelet and have a full overhaul, as well. They assured me that it would get a proper Rolex replacement bracelet.

It really looks great, I wouldn't have expected anyone could make a 45 year old chunk of stainless steel shine again like it does today. I'm ready to carry on Dad's custom of wearing it daily for another 40 years.

So why am I posting on this particular thread? The new bracelet is a Tudor with 7835 B followed below by 19, on the link, and 557 B marked on the end connectors. I understand that Tudor is of the Rolex family, perhaps as close as Bentley has been to Rolls-Royce until recently. But if I were to replace a 'Flying Lady' hood ornament on a vintage Rolls-Royce, I'd hardly be happy with the 'Flying B' from a Bentley.

Sure, this isn't a vintage Roller; it's a basic, utilitarian SS watch pale in comparison to the more elegant and sophisticated timepieces that you fellows share a passion for from the same company. I also understand that Rolex has no obligation to maintain replacement parts in stock for 40-something years old models. Am I expecting too much to think the new bracelet should bear the Rolex crown on the clasp? Should I expect the same attributes that you have discussed in this thread about the metallurgy involved?

Should I just pull my head out, and be thankful Dad preferred basic Rolex to Timex? I'm not restoring the watch to sell on eBay, rather as a sentimental keepsake that I can wear everyday without concerns that normal wear will desecrate a potential museum piece.

I haven't worn a bracelet style watch for many years as my body chemistry tends to be more acidic than most and the metal corrodes. Those weren't Rolex bracelets, though. The comments from earlier in this thread set me to thinking about the differences in alloys used by the various manufacturers, and wondering about the differences there may be between Rolex and Tudor, and whether it really makes any difference anyway, as long as one occasionally gives the bracelet a scrub with the nail brush while showering.

Seeking enlightenment; factual or metaphysical...

Bill K. in Sydney AU
BillKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2005, 11:29 PM   #42
Atomic

Hi Bill, welcome aboard and kudos to you for continuing with your dad's tradition.

I believe the Tudor line of cases and bracelets use the standard 316L grade of stainless steel. I would troll around old watchmaker shops and ADs with watchmakers on staff (or even via ebay and other vintage Rolex websites) to see if you can get a reasonable Rolex replacement bracelet, new-old-stock (NOS) if possible or perhaps a used one with some life left in it.

Otherwise, and since you seem to have reactions to SS, you may want to try putting it on a good quality leather strap.

Congrats and wear it in good health. Got any pix of this vintage baby to share?
Old 22 December 2005, 11:41 PM   #43
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Hello Bill and welcome to TRF. It sounds like your dealer has not been able to obtain the correct bracelet for your watch and has fitted the best alternative, even so it will be better than the previous band. Give it a try to see how your skin reacts with the stainless steel, you may find it to be alright. Otherwise I'd do as John suggests and try for a new old bracelet. Whatever you choose, good luck.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2005, 11:48 PM   #44
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Welcome to TRF, Bill. Don't knock that "basic" Oysterdate Precision. it's a real classic and if treated with just a little respect, should last through your grandchildren's children.

I agree with Atomic about possibly switching to a nice leather band. Black leather with the Precision should look very good. It may take a little getting used to, but if you like leather, you'll be happy with that switch in the long run.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2005, 03:09 AM   #45
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Excellent and quite the sentimental first post, Bill. A BIG welcome to TRF.

That watch is now definitely a family heirloom. Post some pics and perhaps that would make it easier for us to 'advise' you as to which strap or bracelet will look better on that model.

Cheers - JJ

Old 23 December 2005, 07:43 AM   #46
BillKirk
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback...

I'll have to check the FAQs for some photo tips re filesize/resolution before posting any images. The forums that I'm more experienced with don't permit binary posts, legacy of the dialup period before broadband.

It's been my intention to keep this watch on a SS bracelet hoping the SS won't manifest the corrosion problems that I've experienced in the past with non-SS bracelets. The one SS bracelet that I've had experience with in the past (SS blue face Seiko Sport5, circa 1972) has been the one bracelet not to react badly with my skin.

I concur with all your suggestions of using leather bands, my two other daily use watches are on leather and need new bands frequently due to skin chemistry reactions. I've got a box full of old knock-about watches that I wear when I'm engaged in my two grimy hobbies, native bushland regeneration and old BMWs.

For daily business suit attire I'm adding Dad's Rolex to the pair of oldies I regularly wear to the office. The Omega Seamaster De Ville (YG case with SS back on brown leather) that my wife gave me as a wedding present 27 years ago, and the Heuer (pre-TAG) Camero (SS on black leather) that I bought myself with the proceeds of a summer job my last year of high school (mid-1960s). Both of these have received regular overhauls from their respective factory authorized watchmakers in Sydney. For a relatively cheap model at the time of purchase, the Heuer has really gained surprising collectible value over the years.

I haven't confronted the Rolex Service Centre regarding the Tudor bracelet they gave me, yet. I was so pleased to have the watch back that I didn't notice that until I got back to my office, then I began my internet search before creating an issue about it with them. I didn't want to make a scene over it if it was a stupid issue to raise.

Based on your feedback, I think I'll call them about it today and see if they can have another try at sourcing the Rolex bracelet for this watch. But I won't be a dickhead about it if they give me a plausible answer. I'm just not willing to be charged the Rolex premium price for non-Rolex goods. I see that to be as vile as presenting a Hong Kong knockoff as the genuine article...

Thanks, again, guys.

Bill K. in Sydney
BillKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2005, 08:33 AM   #47
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Hmm. Personally, I wouldn't be too happy about getting a Tudor bracelet, even though the watch is 40 years old. After all, IIRC, Rolex's policy is to stock parts for 30 years, so finding the last available parts may not be too difficult if you're willing to trawl about non-authorised sources.

That said, John's leather-strap idea is a good one. You could even take the change in look to signify new ownership.
Old 23 December 2005, 11:41 AM   #48
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
BTW, I tried a couple of straps on my Explorer and the results weren't good. They looked great, but for some reason the spring bar holes on the Exp are super close to the case. The case rubs on the strap, and messes up the leather. Oh well, I had to try it. I like it much better on the bracelet anyway!
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2005, 12:26 AM   #49
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS
BTW, I tried a couple of straps on my Explorer and the results weren't good. They looked great, but for some reason the spring bar holes on the Exp are super close to the case. The case rubs on the strap, and messes up the leather. Oh well, I had to try it. I like it much better on the bracelet anyway!
Bruce - did you try using a strap with curved spring pins? If not, that might be the solution.
Old 24 December 2005, 04:39 AM   #50
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Bruce - did you try using a strap with curved spring pins? If not, that might be the solution.
Curved spring pins? Never knew these type existed. How safe are they, Al?

Old 24 December 2005, 04:44 AM   #51
Atomic

Quote:

JJ, I have them on the leather strap on my ExpII right now. The spring pin is curved, as the leather strap end is also curved, so it follows the curvature of the case.

Do they have colour TV in New Zealand yet as well? Get with the times, man.
Old 24 December 2005, 04:49 AM   #52
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
JJ, I have them on the leather strap on my ExpII right now. The spring pin is curved, as the leather strap end is also curved, so it follows the curvature of the case.

Do they have colour TV in New Zealand yet as well? Get with the times, man.
That's fine, John, but my concern is not for how well the curved pin fits through the curvature of the strap. My concern is how secure are the ends of the pins inside the lug holes as they are curved and now meet the lug holes at an awkward angle instead of straight in for greater security and grip.

Old 24 December 2005, 05:01 AM   #53
Atomic

Quote:
That's fine, John, but my concern is not for how well the curved pin fits through the curvature of the strap. My concern is how secure are the ends of the pins inside the lug holes as they are curved and now meet the lug holes at an awkward angle instead of straight in for greater security and grip.

VERY secure!
Old 24 December 2005, 08:36 AM   #54
----

Quote:
JJ - these are very safe. I doubt that a company such as JLC would use them if they weren't safe.