The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 June 2008, 06:11 PM   #1
daytona_mania
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Shipping Insurance?

Hi guys,

About to bite the bullet on a purchase on TRF. But unfortunately have had bad experiences with USPS shipping internationally, usually from America to Australia. But this time I am getting a shipment from America to Hong Kong.

Therefore I am probably going to go with FEDEX.

Does anyone know a good insurance company to insure the watch?

Has anyone had problems with FEDEX, I really don't want to buy the watch and then have it 'misplaced'!!

Any information would be great! Thanks guys!!
daytona_mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 06:14 PM   #2
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I believe you could use UPS and have the watch insured for the full amount by UPS, as well.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 03:06 AM   #3
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Hi guys,

About to bite the bullet on a purchase on TRF. But unfortunately have had bad experiences with USPS shipping internationally, usually from America to Australia. But this time I am getting a shipment from America to Hong Kong.

Therefore I am probably going to go with FEDEX.

Does anyone know a good insurance company to insure the watch?
Parcel Pro.

Has anyone had problems with FEDEX, I really don't want to buy the watch and then have it 'misplaced'!!
I am not of fan of Fedex even though I have used them many times. There is a person on Watchnet that just got a "rock" in the Fedex box delivered to him from NJ to HK instead of a $35K Patek watch they paid for. Both parties are well known dealers which leads me to believe that someone at Fedex did a "switcheroo".

Any information would be great! Thanks guys!!
Make sure you are insured before shipment is sent.
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 03:27 AM   #4
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
I believe USPS is the safest. They also let you fully insure your watch.
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 04:30 AM   #5
jbjenkins
"TRF" Member

Yes, I only used USPS registered mail with full insurance as I don't want to deal with third-party insurance for FedEx, UPS, etc.
jbjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 04:32 AM   #6
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
I must add that USPS is only used in the USA ,when it reaches the UK or Europe the local postal service is used, secondly many USPS services will not insure watches and jewellery internationally

I would go with UPS or Fedex as they are worldwide USPS is USA only- so would not deliver

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 04:54 AM   #7
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
I must add that USPS is only used in the USA ,when it reaches the UK or Europe the local postal service is used, secondly many USPS services will not insure watches and jewellery internationally

I would go with UPS or Fedex as they are worldwide USPS is USA only- so would not deliver
Yes same for Canada, when USPS packages come a courier company called Puralotor delivers it unless it is just an envelope then Canada Post takes over.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 10:19 AM   #8
jbjenkins
"TRF" Member

Of course, when shipping internationally, there is the problem that only USPS offers an insured method, to individual customers (no limit I could find on the insured value for jewelry - except to Canada for some reason!)

FedEx offers a "declared value exception" service that may only be available to U.S. addresses (I couldn't find a section that specifically spoke to international shipments.) This service is not available to all customers. All other FedEx methods offer only up to $500 of insurance for jewelry (this applies to all other packages either internal to the U.S. or international.)

UPS only offers up to $500 in insurance for jewelry - U.S. to U.S. address or to foreign addresses.

You can buy all the insurance you want from fedex or UPS, but when you go to collect for some reason and have to prove the value of what was in the package the most you will ever get is $500. Check google for lots and lots of horror stories involving UPS and fedex. You must use third-party insurance, as mentioned above.

Yes, USPS has partners in other countries who deliver their mail, but it still can be insured through them when it's considered jewelry - for full value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post

jbjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 01:34 PM   #9
daytona_mania
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys! Well I guess its USPS...fingers crossed !
daytona_mania is offline   Reply With Quote