The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 6 May 2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Altair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5270
Just got my Omega PloProf

OK so I just noticed something very disturbing about myself, it seems the more I hate a watch the very first time I see it the more likely I will fall in love :roll:

Hated Panerai==> obsessed with Panerai
Hated Bell&Ross==> Had to get a Bell&Ross
Hated the IWC BI Bracelet==> Had to get the Bracelet

And to add the list, I disliked the Omega PloProf, thought it was interesting but just could not pull the trigger as I thought I would never wear it. I slowly began to fall in love with its quirky, ugly, very functional design. My AD sold me an IWC BP recently and said I could get any Omega I wanted for 35% off, hence the PloProf!

I do not have my lighting equipment with me so I must apologize for the Roffensian-grade pictures, and again for the non Roffensian-grade review, but here we go:

The watch has tremendous history, here is the beginning paragraph of a PloProf introduction:

"
Throughout the 1960s the sport of Skin Diving (now more usually known as Scuba Diving) had been developing. The equipment and tools for this sport developed from the military and commercial need to work in the oceans and seas around the world. This commercial need, in industries such as Oil and Shipping, created organisations of Professional Divers. One of the major diving operators of the time was Comex who, as an oil research firm, needed tools that their Diver's lives would rely on. In those days computers that could calculate the needs of a diver like the wrist mounted dive computers of today would have taken up a whole room, so the divers relied on the one mechanical device from which most of the risk factors of their dive could be mentally computed, a watch. The watch makers recognising this need, jumped headlong into the fray to build an ‘ultra water-resistant’ (sometimes termed ‘super water-resistant’) watch for Professional divers and so watches like the Rolex SeaDweller and the Omega Seamaster Professional 600m/2000ft were born."

and a bit more
"Developed in conjunction with Comex and the legendary Jacques Cousteau, Omega conceived and developed what was probably the first waterproof watch designed and built solely for the diving professional.
The watch took 4 years to come to the market after extensive testing and arrived in 1970. It was nicknamed PloProf by the French speaking development team and derives from the French term PLOngeur PROFessionnel (Professional Diver)."

What I most like about this watch is that it is uncompromising in its faith to the original, it looks exactly the same with the difference being updating caliber, materials, and water resistance. Most watches out there today are designed to be pretty and alluring to a market segment, Breitling's Galactic range comes to mind, this watch however makes no apologies for what it is and stays true to its heritage, I like that. Allot.

As soon as you put the watch on, you know you have an instrument on your wrist. It is built like a tank and handles like an industrial tool. This feel is only enhanced by its sharp case edges, super thick locked uni directional bezel, and locked crown protector. In contrast the watch has a finer finish than on my other Omegas and the shiny marker edges and sapphire bezel remind you that this is a luxury modern interpretation of a tool classic.

The signature orange anodized bezel security release button and orange anodized minute hand add a striking visual element, they add interest nicely across the gorgeous black lacquered dial which does not cause reflections at all.

The clasp is excellent but very thick, which might be an issue for desk jockeys such as myself, as it promises to be a scratch magnet. The finish and design is reminiscent of the watch though.

The clasp has both a micro adjustment and extension mechanisms, which I find to be very useful and very well done! The strap equivalent to the deepsea mechanism I would say.

The caseback is very very cool, it is a two piece job and shows excellent craftsmanship! I didnt know Omega had it in them!

The packaging of the watch is also a cool mix between what a tool would come in and a luxury watch box, zippered leather and cloth in a black cardboard box, you gotta see this in person though

Finally the white luminova produces a very cool and VERY bright blue lume, will get pics when I have my equipment.

All in all the watch is AWESOME, dont know if it will get worn much as it is an out there watch and cant be worn to the office but it is an amazing casual piece and a fine addition to any collection.

Check out these Omega pins my AD gave me:

Altair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2010, 10:33 PM   #2
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
" Developed in conjunction with Comex and the legendary Jacques Cousteau, Omega conceived and developed what was probably the first waterproof watch designed and built solely for the diving professional."

COOLY UNIQUE. Is there any diver out there like it? With its different looks and history? Congrats on the great watch.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Great choice. Beautiful pics.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2010, 10:40 PM   #4
mike
"TRF" Member

Perhaps no other watch is so mission specific. What a great reference with so much history. I miss the one I had.

Nice score!!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Very cool. Got a chance to wear Mike's and it's a real stunner.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2010, 10:43 PM   #6
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: yo self!
That IS pretty nifty.....good luck with it and wear it well!
Breitling: And some of these.
TattooedGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2010, 11:24 PM   #7
jmsrolls
Banned

Congratulations on your new PloProf!

I invite you to post your photos and comments over here:

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2010, 11:31 PM   #8
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Congrats - sounds like you had a great AD experience as well
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2010, 12:00 AM   #9
Deyn Man
"TRF" Member

sweet!
Deyn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2010, 01:44 AM   #10
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Awesome watch. Your rough pix come out 100x better than my "quality" pix. lol.
Cabaiguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2010, 03:13 AM   #11
timetravel125
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
A very lovely timepiece, IMO. If I could only sell a kidney, I would buy a Ploprof!
timetravel125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2010, 04:24 PM   #12
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

I'm also beginning to like it more than I had originally. Those pins look really cool. Congrats.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2010, 04:30 PM   #13
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
nice watch!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2010, 05:25 PM   #14
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Since getting the PloProf two weeks ago,its hasnt left my wrist !!

HUGE Congrats on your remarkable timepiece !!!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2010, 09:23 AM   #15
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post
OK so I just noticed something very disturbing about myself, it seems the more I hate a watch the very first time I see it the more likely I will fall in love :roll:

Hated Panerai==> obsessed with Panerai
Hated Bell&Ross==> Had to get a Bell&Ross
Hated the IWC BI Bracelet==> Had to get the Bracelet

And to add the list, I disliked the Omega PloProf, thought it was interesting but just could not pull the trigger as I thought I would never wear it. I slowly began to fall in love with its quirky, ugly, very functional design. My AD sold me an IWC BP recently and said I could get any Omega I wanted for 35% off, hence the PloProf!

I do not have my lighting equipment with me so I must apologize for the Roffensian-grade pictures, and again for the non Roffensian-grade review, but here we go:

The watch has tremendous history, here is the beginning paragraph of a PloProf introduction:

"
Throughout the 1960s the sport of Skin Diving (now more usually known as Scuba Diving) had been developing. The equipment and tools for this sport developed from the military and commercial need to work in the oceans and seas around the world. This commercial need, in industries such as Oil and Shipping, created organisations of Professional Divers. One of the major diving operators of the time was Comex who, as an oil research firm, needed tools that their Diver's lives would rely on. In those days computers that could calculate the needs of a diver like the wrist mounted dive computers of today would have taken up a whole room, so the divers relied on the one mechanical device from which most of the risk factors of their dive could be mentally computed, a watch. The watch makers recognising this need, jumped headlong into the fray to build an ‘ultra water-resistant’ (sometimes termed ‘super water-resistant’) watch for Professional divers and so watches like the Rolex SeaDweller and the Omega Seamaster Professional 600m/2000ft were born."

and a bit more
"Developed in conjunction with Comex and the legendary Jacques Cousteau, Omega conceived and developed what was probably the first waterproof watch designed and built solely for the diving professional.
The watch took 4 years to come to the market after extensive testing and arrived in 1970. It was nicknamed PloProf by the French speaking development team and derives from the French term PLOngeur PROFessionnel (Professional Diver)."

What I most like about this watch is that it is uncompromising in its faith to the original, it looks exactly the same with the difference being updating caliber, materials, and water resistance. Most watches out there today are designed to be pretty and alluring to a market segment, Breitling's Galactic range comes to mind, this watch however makes no apologies for what it is and stays true to its heritage, I like that. Allot.

As soon as you put the watch on, you know you have an instrument on your wrist. It is built like a tank and handles like an industrial tool. This feel is only enhanced by its sharp case edges, super thick locked uni directional bezel, and locked crown protector. In contrast the watch has a finer finish than on my other Omegas and the shiny marker edges and sapphire bezel remind you that this is a luxury modern interpretation of a tool classic.

The signature orange anodized bezel security release button and orange anodized minute hand add a striking visual element, they add interest nicely across the gorgeous black lacquered dial which does not cause reflections at all.

The clasp is excellent but very thick, which might be an issue for desk jockeys such as myself, as it promises to be a scratch magnet. The finish and design is reminiscent of the watch though.

The clasp has both a micro adjustment and extension mechanisms, which I find to be very useful and very well done! The strap equivalent to the deepsea mechanism I would say.

The caseback is very very cool, it is a two piece job and shows excellent craftsmanship! I didnt know Omega had it in them!

The packaging of the watch is also a cool mix between what a tool would come in and a luxury watch box, zippered leather and cloth in a black cardboard box, you gotta see this in person though

Finally the white luminova produces a very cool and VERY bright blue lume, will get pics when I have my equipment.

All in all the watch is AWESOME, dont know if it will get worn much as it is an out there watch and cant be worn to the office but it is an amazing casual piece and a fine addition to any collection.

Check out these Omega pins my AD gave me:

Must have paid dearly for that watch---looks great.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 02:42 PM   #16
psv
"TRF" Member

Bump on this cool Ploprof thread!
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 03:10 PM   #17
hunz

Watch: Rolex, SINN
is that orange button a detonator?
hunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 03:29 PM   #18
etp095
"TRF" Member

That's a very cool watch,congrats to you!
pepsi gmt for dad(D)
polar expy II(z)
1675 gmt circa 68'
ladies datejust on jubilee for mom (z)
sea dweller16600(M)
SS Sub-C(g)
Omega Planet Ocean,45.5 on mesh(2500D)
etp095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2011, 12:02 AM   #19
barstoolman
Banned

It looks even better on the "Shark Cage" mesh bracelet............enjoy!!!!!!!
barstoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2011, 12:30 AM   #20
watchdaddy1
Banned

Watch: strap whore
I hated the look of this piece as well, then I went to Omega & tried it on & YOWZA absolutely killer piece.Try it w/ the shark mesh it amazing.Big CONGRATS on your purchase...Omega FTW
watchdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2011, 12:39 AM   #21
psv
"TRF" Member

Oh well, the thread it very old so the piece isn't exactly "new" anymore. I just thought that is was a cool thread worth a bump! :-)

I hate to say it, but this watch is really growing on me. It is like almost nothing else out there and they are far and few between out there in real life (which is nothing you can say about my Sub or SD...)
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2011, 12:41 AM   #22
jay_man2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I was looking for a PloProf when I ended up with my Sub C in May. No real interest in it now.
jay_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2011, 12:49 AM   #23
usbzoso
Banned

Watch: 16610/16600/16800
gotta get mesh bracelet for this baby
usbzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2011, 01:01 AM   #24
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Beautiful!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2011, 01:56 AM   #25
skyedog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Love it! Huge Congrats!
skyedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2011, 02:16 AM   #26
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
I agree about the mesh bracelet. It is WONDERFUL. I bought mine on mesh and got the extra orange strap. Talk about a way to dress it up or down. To me this is the perfect watch. Its amazing how comfortable it is for its size, how well balanced.

The clasp is superior to any I have ever seen or tried.

Great lume, easy to read dial and such an amazing history.

Amazing coaxial 8500 movement

I tried the white one on a while back and I am seriously thinking about getting it!!!!

Enjoy that baby for a long time.