The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 31 March 2020, 12:15 PM   #1
uracowman
"TRF" Member

New Radiomir Bronzo + 42mm Submersible Bronzo Coming - Reference PAM 760

I posted this over on Paneristi and wanted to put the PSA out here.

It looks like there are two new bronzos coming. One is the Panerai 760, which is the first non-submersible bronzo in a radiomir case w/ a greenish/gray dial. Imagine the PAM 720 but in a bronzo case and a different dial.

The other is a 42mm blue submersible bronzo. It's literally the 671 in a 42mm case.

Soon to come: AP 26401 RG, AP 15202OR, Patek 3940G
uracowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 03:49 PM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

“Year of the Luminor” morphing into “Year of Milking Bronzo”. ;-)

Here are photos I’ve seen floating around.

For me, the Rad is a bit of a mess with the gradient green and blue hands. As for the sub, I think it would have been better at 44.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 04:40 PM   #3
Vittorio77
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM, Explo, Pelagos
44 bronze will be next year limited edition
Vittorio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 11:04 PM   #4
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Can someone explain the difference in limited or special editions as most Pams I saw are either out of 200 500 1500 ... And they have Alphabets aswell... So its Unlimited Limited Editions?
Old 31 March 2020, 11:30 PM   #5
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajurama View Post
Can someone explain the difference in limited or special editions as most Pams I saw are either out of 200 500 1500 ... And they have Alphabets aswell... So its Unlimited Limited Editions?
There's a lot of confusion out there but I can clarify. With Panerai, limited edition and special edition are two different things but it's important to note that since JMP came onboard as the CEO, he got rid of special editions.

Limited edition in Panerai speak means a watch that is numbered, IE X of 250, X of 2500, etc. In essence, this means every watch is "limited" but limited edition is sort of a BS term for Panerai.

Special edition means a watch that is a one year run. That watch is made for one year for X number of units, and won't be made again. If you go to the special edition archives on the Panerai site, you'll see the watches that have come out every year as a special edition.

Old 1 April 2020, 01:13 AM   #6
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uracowman View Post
There's a lot of confusion out there but I can clarify. With Panerai, limited edition and special edition are two different things but it's important to note that since JMP came onboard as the CEO, he got rid of special editions.

Limited edition in Panerai speak means a watch that is numbered, IE X of 250, X of 2500, etc. In essence, this means every watch is "limited" but limited edition is sort of a BS term for Panerai.

Special edition means a watch that is a one year run. That watch is made for one year for X number of units, and won't be made again. If you go to the special edition archives on the Panerai site, you'll see the watches that have come out every year as a special edition.
Thanks , been following your post on FB aswell. I was confused when I bought my Pam 684 , online reviews stated limited rin of 250 then when mine came it was x / 500 different alphabet not that I care but its silly.

I still don't get the Bronze hype...

Sent from my Z2121 using Tapatalk
Old 1 April 2020, 02:43 AM   #7
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks , been following your post on FB aswell. I was confused when I bought my Pam 684 , online reviews stated limited rin of 250 then when mine came it was x / 500 different alphabet not that I care but its silly.

I still don't get the Bronze hype...

The letter refers to the year of production. The number is the number produced for a given year.
Old 1 April 2020, 02:45 AM   #8
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
The letter refers to the year of production. The number is the number produced for a given year.
Understood , So the watch I have had a 2 year run .. 250 in 2018 and 500 in 2019 ... Not all the alphabets :)

Old 2 April 2020, 12:00 AM   #9
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Is Panerai just not getting it? I don't understand. It's the same thing over and over and over. If they are going to do the same thing; simplify and retool the base models into cohesive lines. Everything is a novelty executed in bronze, Carbotech, sailcloth dial, blue dial, green dial...
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 12:51 AM   #10
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Is Panerai just not getting it? I don't understand. It's the same thing over and over and over. If they are going to do the same thing; simplify and retool the base models into cohesive lines. Everything is a novelty executed in bronze, Carbotech, sailcloth dial, blue dial, green dial...
Kinda like Rolex.............
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 01:53 AM   #11
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Kinda like Rolex.............
Rolex design has remained very conservative in the modern era, but they are also guilty of falling into the tactic of changing "something" every year to create a buzz for Baselworld. The difference with Rolex is that their design changes are so subtle that they still adhere to their established aesthetic and design language they have used for half a century. That's not my criticism here. Panerai is doing new stuff, but then they are just rolling it out across everything they do making it ubiquitous.

I appreciate the innovations that Panerai is experimenting with. They certainly were among the first to jump on the bronze bandwagon. Their initial blue and green dial Submersibles were cool. Now, everything gets the treatment. It makes the initial releases less special and crowds the catalog.
Old 2 April 2020, 02:12 AM   #12
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Rolex design has remained very conservative in the modern era, but they are also guilty of falling into the tactic of changing "something" every year to create a buzz for Baselworld. The difference with Rolex is that their design changes are so subtle that they still adhere to their established aesthetic and design language they have used for half a century. That's not my criticism here. Panerai is doing new stuff, but then they are just rolling it out across everything they do making it ubiquitous.

I appreciate the innovations that Panerai is experimenting with. They certainly were among the first to jump on the bronze bandwagon. Their initial blue and green dial Submersibles were cool. Now, everything gets the treatment. It makes the initial releases less special and crowds the catalog.

So, Panerai innovates and then gives more options of what is liked by buyers, while Rolex does “subtle” changes of the same thing over and over and over.

But Rolex “gets it” and Panerai doesn’t?
Old 2 April 2020, 02:13 AM   #13
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
I might try to get this bronzo i love bronze
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 02:23 AM   #14
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So, Panerai innovates and then gives more options of what is liked by buyers, while Rolex does “subtle” changes of the same thing over and over and over.

But Rolex “gets it” and Panerai doesn’t?
Rolex allure is their minimal change in design and classic style. It's why the brand is the cornerstone of the watch market even if there are superior manufacturers out there. My criticism of Rolex is that often times there is little need for the minor design changes we see, but they are done to create buzz. In the end, the look is more or less unchanged. How long was the 16610 produced where it was unchanged? I don't think we need a new GMT-Master II every year. That said, this subtle tweaking seems to have served them well.

My issue with Panerai, again, isn't that they innovate (though I think many would argue the strength of the brand has weakened through over-innovating), but rather that when they do innovate it just permeates through the rest of the collection eventually and is no longer special. We saw this with the blue dial Radiomir 1940 PAM690. A year later they came out with more 1940 models with blue dials that were almost identical. They did the same with green dials. Now they are doing it with case materials. Do Paneristi really want a collection that is 50% bronze and Carbotech? I don't know. I know I don't and that's alright. I think, and of course this is just my opinion, that most Panerai fans want a solid stainless steel, minimally complicated, Luminor and Radiomir collection with sandwich dials and classic styling similar to the old PAM111, 112, 183, etc. The introductory, base models that Panerai has been producing over the last couple of years lack water resistance, have snap-on casebacks, etc. Even their P5000 8 day movement being put into these models is very wonky and known to run extremely fast when fully wound.

I am all for the innovations and interesting pieces, just maybe not all over regular production. How about a 44mm Luminor 1950 base model with manual wind and no date or a 44mm Submersible in steel, or a Radiomir 1940 base/subseconds model without a microrotor?
Old 2 April 2020, 02:24 AM   #15
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
I might try to get this bronzo i love bronze
Well it's an April fool's joke but you never know Panerai might just come up with these

Old 2 April 2020, 02:49 AM   #16
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Well it's an April fool's joke but you never know Panerai might just come up with these

It is? To be honest i was since some weeks argueing that i would love to buy the bronze watch, and i even would trade my rolexes against it but it is simply to large for my wrist.. so it would come at exact the right time for me if it isn't a joke. otherwise Panerai HELP!
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 08:11 AM   #17
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Rolex allure is their minimal change in design and classic style. It's why the brand is the cornerstone of the watch market even if there are superior manufacturers out there. My criticism of Rolex is that often times there is little need for the minor design changes we see, but they are done to create buzz. In the end, the look is more or less unchanged. How long was the 16610 produced where it was unchanged? I don't think we need a new GMT-Master II every year. That said, this subtle tweaking seems to have served them well.
Partly this, yes, but mostly very effective marketing.

Quote:
My issue with Panerai, again, isn't that they innovate (though I think many would argue the strength of the brand has weakened through over-innovating), but rather that when they do innovate it just permeates through the rest of the collection eventually and is no longer special. We saw this with the blue dial Radiomir 1940 PAM690. A year later they came out with more 1940 models with blue dials that were almost identical. They did the same with green dials. Now they are doing it with case materials. Do Paneristi really want a collection that is 50% bronze and Carbotech? I don't know. I know I don't and that's alright. I think, and of course this is just my opinion, that most Panerai fans want a solid stainless steel, minimally complicated, Luminor and Radiomir collection with sandwich dials and classic styling similar to the old PAM111, 112, 183, etc. The introductory, base models that Panerai has been producing over the last couple of years lack water resistance, have snap-on casebacks, etc. Even their P5000 8 day movement being put into these models is very wonky and known to run extremely fast when fully wound.

I am all for the innovations and interesting pieces, just maybe not all over regular production. How about a 44mm Luminor 1950 base model with manual wind and no date or a 44mm Submersible in steel, or a Radiomir 1940 base/subseconds model without a microrotor?

I do agree that Panerai should never have abandoned a core offering of solid classics. They instead probably should have grown models like the 000/111/212 etc incrementally in the Rolex way, while also experimenting. But their strategy of countless LEs has served them well for decades, even if many “collectors” have abandoned the brand.
Old 2 April 2020, 01:36 PM   #18
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
44 mm Sub would be a winner
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 12:55 AM   #19
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I do agree that Panerai should never have abandoned a core offering of solid classics. They instead probably should have grown models like the 000/111/212 etc incrementally in the Rolex way, while also experimenting. But their strategy of countless LEs has served them well for decades, even if many “collectors” have abandoned the brand.
Agree. What I basically think the backbone of the line should be are the models you mentioned with their more reliable in house 3 day manual wind movements. Panerai must know this. It’s why they won’t release something near identical to the 111/112 without putting “Automatic” or “8 Days” on the dial. It’s deliberate. Right now I have a 372 and 1305. The 372 is a classic. It should never be changed. The 1305 is a thoughtful evolution of the 305. I could give or take the blue accents, but they don’t bother me.

I do like the LE angle. I agree that this is the place to do new things. Just don’t release something here and then do the same thing a year later in larger production.
Old 5 May 2020, 08:20 PM   #20
VFA
"TRF" Member

So was this really a joke or is it coming?
VFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 08:49 PM   #21
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFA View Post
So was this really a joke or is it coming?
I want to know too, interested in the 42mm bronzo.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 08:34 AM   #22
Kilometerman
"TRF" Member

I got a chance to preview some of the new stuff still coming for 2020, and these weren’t among them. I think this is fake news.
Kilometerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 03:33 AM   #23
xsnv
"TRF" Member

Quote:

^
xsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 04:35 AM   #24
Kilometerman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It was? Original post was on March 30.
Old 8 May 2020, 02:06 AM   #25
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilometerman View Post
I got a chance to preview some of the new stuff still coming for 2020, and these weren’t among them. I think this is fake news.
It's not fake news. There's more coming out later this year.

Old 8 May 2020, 12:15 PM   #26
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

A new Bronzo is fake news considering the full 2020 preview I got didn't include it, but included 3x the total pieces presented to the public a week+ ago.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 01:23 PM   #27
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
A new Bronzo is fake news considering the full 2020 preview I got didn't include it, but included 3x the total pieces presented to the public a week+ ago.
Wait, there's more!!!!!!!???? Were you sworn to secrecy? Are their more 44mm luminors coming Out? Please tell if you can..
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 10:40 PM   #28
scottru72
"TRF" Member

Anything 42MM? Seems all their releases have been 44MM+
scottru72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 11:17 PM   #29
epic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uracowman View Post
It's not fake news. There's more coming out later this year.
Understand the smaller submersible bronzo will be out sometime this year too.

Cheers
epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 10:05 AM   #30
Kilometerman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
This.