The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 March 2023, 11:30 AM   #1
16710Guy
"TRF" Member

16700 Possible Purchase

My previous thread of the 16710 watch will be returned and I'm looking for another watch. Anything off from these two website photos? Bezel color split, is it too much into the 18? Also the end link being a 558, is that not correct? This 16700 is claimed to be a "T" series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16700 bracelet.jpg (67.6 KB, 447 views)
File Type: jpg 16700 front.jpg (143.0 KB, 444 views)
16710Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 11:42 AM   #2
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16710Guy View Post
My previous thread of the 16710 watch will be returned and I'm looking for another watch. Anything off from these two website photos? Bezel color split, is it too much into the 18? Also the end link being a 558, is that not correct? This 16700 is claimed to be a "T" series.
For some reason the reflections make the crystal look like its a "domed" style acrylic?

Worth just making sure its a flat sapphire.

other than that, not too familar with the 16700 model (ala your other questions) which is a transitional between the 16750 and 16710.
alwayshere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 11:58 AM   #3
16710Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
For some reason the reflections make the crystal look like its a "domed" style acrylic?

other than that, not too familar with the 16700 model (ala your other questions) which is a transitional between the 16750 and 16710.
Thank you, hopefully tomorrow I'll receive more "real" photos. Side shots of the case that I've seen look like flat glass but I'll make sure.
Old 6 March 2023, 12:32 PM   #4
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
558 end links are not intended for GMTs. They are for Datejusts and possibly other similar models. Insert is non original.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 12:37 PM   #5
16710Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
558 end links are not intended for GMTs. They are for Datejusts and possibly other similar models.

Thank you, mostly what I saw out there but wanted to make sure. Any draw backs other than not numbers matching? Assume correct ones aren't too expensive to get. * Edit I see your comment on insert, thank you
Old 6 March 2023, 12:45 PM   #6
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Looking at the pics again, usually with lug hole cases, the endlinks won't have a opening like those in your photos so the endlinks, per what JP is saying, is likely not right for this watch (are you sure its 558 not 558B?). Though saying that, the 558 go with 78360s which are bracelets that are commonly found on the GMT.

also think JP is saying the insert is aftermarket.
alwayshere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 12:50 PM   #7
16710Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looking at the pics again, usually with lug hole cases, the endlinks won't have a opening like those in your photos so the endlinks, per what JP is saying, is likely not right for this watch (are you sure its 558 not 558B?). Though saying that, the 558 go with 78360s which are bracelets that are commonly found on the GMT.

also think JP is saying the insert is aftermarket.
Thanks I missed his insert comment. Bummer. From zooming in I don't see a B on the endlink but the bracket is a 78360
Old 6 March 2023, 02:00 PM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I don't think you can change your username ... just sayin'.
Old 6 March 2023, 09:17 PM   #9
16710Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post

Not a big deal to me but thank you
Old 6 March 2023, 10:28 PM   #10
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
respectamundo
Quote:
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 10:36 PM   #11
16710Guy
"TRF" Member

If all is right with this one, minus the insert which we know is aftermarket. Excellent condition with box no papers would you pay 11.5k TTL and find a correct insert down the road.
Old 6 March 2023, 10:52 PM   #12
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Indeed, I suspect aftermarket by its edge ✓

Sorry to be pedant....but 700 (thinnest Sapphire) was the End of line for the Master 1 range (6542-1675-16750-16700).

The oversized 760 (fat sea dweller based case that was modified to house the calibre and got a lot of criticism in UK from buyers for being too bulky, so whose days were numbered before slimmer 710 was swiftly introduced just 5-6 yrs on !) was the first GMT 2 (that sold alongside 700 and at a huge 25% premium over the 700 for about half a decade).

Thus the Gmt2 760 was 'transitional' to the the hurriedly introduced thinner 710, which had a good decade and a half in prod,' prior to arrival of 116710LN ceramic green hand mid of noughties.
Old 6 March 2023, 11:06 PM   #13
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If all is right with this one, minus the insert which we know is aftermarket. Excellent condition with box no papers would you pay 11.5k TTL and find a correct insert down the road.
Perhaps (vaguely ballpark), but if a dealer/private is selling a watch with a fake insert why is that/have they the expertise to check the rest - often there is no smoke without fire, if you get my drift ?

As such if something is not original like insert/end link/crown, then take extra care to check the rest....i.e. the engravings both ends (case back too if poss), bracelet blade engravings, check the dial is correct for 700, and also not a service Tritinova (T25 service dial fitted from 1999-2006 - that is in fact luminova not tritium, and they lume up very green).

Oh, and finally check the movt is legit/the correct one too.
Old 6 March 2023, 11:19 PM   #14
16710Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Perhaps (vaguely ballpark), but if a dealer/private is selling a watch with a fake insert why is that/have they the expertise to check the rest - often there is no smoke without fire, if you get my drift ?

As such if something is not original like insert/end link/crown, then take extra care to check the rest....i.e. the engravings both ends (case back too if poss), bracelet blade engravings, check the dial is correct for 700, and also not a service Tritinova (T25 service dial fitted from 1999-2006 - that is in fact luminova not tritium, and they lume up very green).

Oh, and finally check the movt is legit/the correct one too.
Thank you, I may move away from this dealer and be more diligent about the rest.
Old 7 March 2023, 07:42 AM   #15
16710Guy
"TRF" Member

Alright.. apparently they use stock photos which is good because the endlinks on the correct one are 501B. Here is a photo of the dial and insert.. will receive photos of the movement tomorrow as the main guy is out until tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16700.jpg (198.6 KB, 348 views)
Old 7 March 2023, 07:50 AM   #16
16710Guy
"TRF" Member

Some More.. thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R1.jpg (190.5 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg R2.jpg (101.7 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg R3.jpg (185.9 KB, 342 views)
Old 7 March 2023, 08:23 AM   #17
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Alright.. apparently they use stock photos which is good because the endlinks on the correct one are 501B. Here is a photo of the dial and insert.. will receive photos of the movement tomorrow as the main guy is out until tomorrow.
Quote:
Some More.. thoughts?

Using stock photos is a huge red flag, especially on a watch that's at least a quarter of a century old. I don't even like it when stock photos are used on brand new modern Rolexes.

That issue aside, the case on the actual 16700 for sale is way over-polished. The crown guards are little nubs and the lugs are thin, with at least one concave lug hole (the only one visible in the photos). Big pass for me at any price.

Good 16700s are not hard to find. I'd keep looking. (A full set with great patina and a nice faded insert was listed on the forum just yesterday, although the hands are color-matched, if that bothers you.)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 09:26 AM   #18
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Stock photos?? I'd be running and screaming with my hands in the air.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 01:26 AM   #19
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some More.. thoughts?
The watch is over polished. The brushing on lugs is nothing near Rolex Factory. The lugs are thin plus it’s so polished that the springbars get out of the lug holes. The chamfers are gone too. Finally the insert is a servcie insert (that’s not a big deal vs the over polishing but good to be aware). It’s a hard pass for me
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 01:26 AM   #20
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
using stock photos is a huge red flag, especially on a watch that's at least a quarter of a century old. I don't even like it when stock photos are used on brand new modern rolexes.

That issue aside, the case on the actual 16700 for sale is way over-polished. The crown guards are little nubs and the lugs are thin, with at least one concave lug hole (the only one visible in the photos). Big pass for me at any price.

Good 16700s are not hard to find. I'd keep looking. (a full set with great patina and a nice faded insert was listed on the forum just yesterday, although the hands are color-matched, if that bothers you.)
+1
Old 8 March 2023, 03:13 AM   #21
16710Guy
"TRF" Member

It is realistic to hold out for something that's mostly pristine or just deal with patina/scratches/ not polished since these watches are 20+ years old. I look a good patina, I just don't want something that's been scratched to hell or over polished but if I am spending this type of money I want something that has all the correct parts or at the very least all the correct big parts and a I can source a insert later.. something like that. May not be a question that can be answered since everyone is different but I wouldn't mind some opinions. I'm in the 10-12k range.
Old 8 March 2023, 03:43 AM   #22
shammad10
"TRF" Member

I'd move on mate. That is not the watch you want.
One thing that I learnt here is that I needed to be patient and learn about the watches and what to look for and not to look for.

You are not after a rare watch. Be patient and a decent example will come up.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 03:43 AM   #23
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Double post

Last edited by shammad10; 8 March 2023 at 03:44 AM.. Reason: Double
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 03:56 AM   #24
16710Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammad10 View Post
I'd move on mate. That is not the watch you want.
One thing that I learnt here is that I needed to be patient and learn about the watches and what to look for and not to look for.

You are not after a rare watch. Be patient and a decent example will come up.
I appreciate it. Looks like I have another prospect.
Old 8 March 2023, 04:04 AM   #25
16710Guy
"TRF" Member

Ok gurus, I appreciate all your help on this journey. I've been offered a "swiss" only U7 series.. see anything on this that jumps out? Being a "Swiss" only and luminova.. this won't patina will it? I actually prefer that the watch I get does..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r1.jpg (256.3 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg R2.jpg (258.1 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg R3.jpg (211.4 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg R4.jpg (214.1 KB, 261 views)
Old 8 March 2023, 04:35 AM   #26
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

At this point, there is no indication that luminova/SL will develop patina. On the other hand, if you buy a tritium watch from 1991 that hasn't developed patina yet, there's no guarantee that it will do so in any reasonable time-frame.

So if you like patinated tritium, hold out for a watch that already looks the way you want it to look. They are out there.

More generally, take a step back and be patient. You don't have to post a new watch every day. Most likely, you are just cycling through all the watches that nobody else wants.
Old 8 March 2023, 04:44 AM   #27
16710Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
At this point, there is no indication that luminova/SL will develop patina. On the other hand, if you buy a tritium watch from 1991 that hasn't developed patina yet, there's no guarantee that it will do so in any reasonable time-frame.

So if you like patinated tritium, hold out for a watch that already looks the way you want it to look. They are out there.

More generally, take a step back and be patient. You don't have to post a new watch every day. Most likely, you are just cycling through all the watches that nobody else wants.
I appreciate it. I'm not dead set on patina look but I am interesting in purchasing, preferably an older GMT or GMTII.
Old 8 March 2023, 04:45 AM   #28
16710Guy
"TRF" Member

Here's the case back and movement on the watch posted just above.. any input would be greatly appreciated. I value the knowledge on this forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r5.jpg (278.1 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg r6.jpg (288.5 KB, 251 views)
Old 8 March 2023, 04:49 AM   #29
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok gurus, I appreciate all your help on this journey. I've been offered a "swiss" only U7 series.. see anything on this that jumps out? Being a "Swiss" only and luminova.. this won't patina will it? I actually prefer that the watch I get does..
This one is over polished too. Look at the lugs. The grain on the brushing is quite bad like the other one. If they both come from the same dealer you should look for another one… There are plenty of reliable and serious dealers. I see you are in the US I look into tropicalwatch or fogcityvintage.
Old 8 March 2023, 05:40 AM   #30
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Ironically, I was just browsing IG, and the first thing that came into my feed was a nice Swiss-only 16700 for a fair price. I see these as relatively modern pre-owned watches and readily available in good condition. So just educate yourself, and buy a good one.