The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 March 2023, 02:20 AM   #1
MikeHendrick1978
"TRF" Member

Chronometer specs

What is typical time to lose or gain for a watch that is chronometer certified? I have a Ball watch that is a Chronometer certified and it seems to either lose or gain over 5 seconds over the course of a day. if I don't wear it for three days and I put it on a winder it loses a lot more than that.
MikeHendrick1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 02:31 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Accuracy of a Master Chronometer is independently certified at between 0 and +5 seconds per day variance, which ensures the watch will never lose time and the certified accuracy is superior to that of the general COSC-certified chronometers which are between -4 and +6 seconds per day.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 02:33 AM   #3
MikeHendrick1978
"TRF" Member

thank you so much....so should I be concerned about the time I am losing or gaining or is this normal?
Old 30 March 2023, 02:42 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Hmm... a 10-second swing is a bit larger than normal imho. How old is it / how long have you had it? Do you wear it 24/7 or ???
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 02:45 AM   #5
MikeHendrick1978
"TRF" Member

I have had it since I bought it new in September 2021. I wear it maybe two or three days a week if that and when it is not worn, I put it in a watch winder.

Last edited by MikeHendrick1978; 30 March 2023 at 02:45 AM.. Reason: wording
Old 30 March 2023, 02:52 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHendrick1978 View Post
What is typical time to lose or gain for a watch that is chronometer certified? I have a Ball watch that is a Chronometer certified and it seems to either lose or gain over 5 seconds over the course of a day. if I don't wear it for three days and I put it on a winder it loses a lot more than that.
A Swiss watch is tested by COSC under severe conditions, and it must maintain a -4/+6 swing from the reference setting in order to pass. Yes, that is a 10 second swing in order to pass the Chronometer Test.

It is never tested again. Some think that it should run -4/+6 from their Atomic clock, but that isn't what COSC is or says. None of us truly expect our watch to ever see a 10 second swing on any given day.

If you are not happy with how your watch performs, take it in for regulation or a service. Most modern watches can perform within a few seconds per day.
Old 30 March 2023, 02:53 AM   #7
MikeHendrick1978
"TRF" Member

thank you so much....I have reached out to the AD that sold it to me to find out how I could get it serviced under warranty as it still is in that period.
Old 30 March 2023, 03:04 AM   #8
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
A Swiss watch is tested by COSC under severe conditions, and it must maintain a -4/+6 swing from the reference setting in order to pass. Yes, that is a 10 second swing in order to pass the Chronometer Test.

It is never tested again. Some think that it should run -4/+6 from their Atomic clock, but that isn't what COSC is or says. None of us truly expect our watch to ever see a 10 second swing on any given day.

If you are not happy with how your watch performs, take it in for regulation or a service. Most modern watches can perform within a few seconds per day.
Agreed. I have found my mass produced watches like Rolex, Hublot, UN, etc to hold time better than complicated haute pieces FWIW.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote