The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2023, 08:28 AM   #1
greg c
"TRF" Member

Rolex Dallas service center won’t service my 114270 unless I send in my bracelet?

Hi, all, question for those of you who have more experience than I do. I sent in my 114270 for service and was informed that part of my service charge would be a new bracelet at $1300. When I called them and informed them I already have a bracelet and don’t need another one they said that Geneva insists they service modern watches with their included bracelets. Before I go through the inconvenience of sending in my bracelet I have to ask: is there anyone with the experience of having had the watch head serviced only?
greg c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 08:33 AM   #2
espngo
"TRF" Member

Following this thread closely since I have the same issue. I have a 116518 Daytona that came with a leather strap but I swapped it out for an oysterflex. Was thinking I could just send in the head only. Ain’t no way I’m giving up my oysterflex.
espngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 08:52 AM   #3
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Crazy isn’t it. Why should they care. Good to know only send in with the bracelet on.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 09:21 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I think this has been a policy for years. So yes, need to include the original bracelet / strap / flex.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 09:32 AM   #5
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
First I've heard of this, and I've had RSC service watches without bracelets before (in Hong Kong). Maybe they'd accept a few hi-res bracelet pics including a copy of that day's newspaper, like it was a kidnapped hostage, as proof of ownership.
Old 29 March 2023, 11:49 AM   #6
sunnygps
2024 Pledge Member

Last year, Dallas RSC told me the same thing last year. So, it has been the policy for at least for the last couple of years. I do recall in 2019, Dallas RSC serviced my Explorer II on RubberB, however they did remove it and returned it to me as I was there in-person.
sunnygps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 12:00 PM   #7
Brushed
"TRF" Member

That's really odd. I can't imagine why they would care about that unless you were actually trying to buy a spare bracelet. Insisting they sell you one is just weird.
Brushed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 12:18 PM   #8
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Actually... I get it.

If I look at it from their perspective, knowing what I know about the strict standards Rolex enforces to keep their brand as they design it of the original presentation, it makes perfect sense to me. It simply ensures that any product that leaves their hand, every time it leaves their hand, is aligned with the brand intention. And looks original. That's brand protection. It's not like a pickup truck to customize.

I may not agree with it, and I might not like it. But I understand it.

And it might be a decent policy to exploit in some situations. For example, I almost pulled the trigger on a bluesy on Everest Blue. They didn't have the original bracelet, so the watch price was aggressively low priced. I knew if I sent it to Rolex, they'd insist I buy the bracelet. And the replacement two-tone bracelet would probably be less expensive directly from Rolex than the secondary market. And that is not un-ethical.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 12:33 PM   #9
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg c View Post
Hi, all, question for those of you who have more experience than I do. I sent in my 114270 for service and was informed that part of my service charge would be a new bracelet at $1300. When I called them and informed them I already have a bracelet and don’t need another one they said that Geneva insists they service modern watches with their included bracelets. Before I go through the inconvenience of sending in my bracelet I have to ask: is there anyone with the experience of having had the watch head serviced only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygps View Post
Last year, Dallas RSC told me the same thing last year. So, it has been the policy for at least for the last couple of years. I do recall in 2019, Dallas RSC serviced my Explorer II on RubberB, however they did remove it and returned it to me as I was there in-person.

I took my 116264 to Beverly Hills CA on November for service in a leather band, no issues whatsoever. Was offered a new bracelet and bought it but was not pressed into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:41 PM   #10
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg c View Post
Why did you send in your watch without a bracelet attached??
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:59 PM   #11
TeddyBallGame
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex Dallas service center won’t service my 114270 unless I send in my bracelet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
I took my 116264 to Beverly Hills CA on November for service in a leather band, no issues whatsoever. Was offered a new bracelet and bought it but was not pressed into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My experience was the same at the Beverly Hills RSC. Brought my GMT 16710 in about a year ago without the bracelet and they serviced it with no issues. Offered to replace the bracelet and gave me the option of the oyster or jubilee.
TeddyBallGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 03:10 PM   #12
Jimho
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
I think this has been a policy for years. So yes, need to include the original bracelet / strap / flex.

This was what I understood as well, and has been raised in previous threads

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jimho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 08:09 PM   #13
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

I had the same issue with my wife's watch....a Datejust with a jubilee bracelet. Rolex would not service the watch with the jubilee because it originally came with an Oyster but the dealer switched it to Jubilee for me as that is what my wife wanted. The watch and the bracelet were new/genuine but I don't have the Oyster and they wouldn't service it unless they PUT an Oyster on that I was going to have to pay for. My wife had no desire for an Oyster bracelet however...... so we asked for the watch back and then, the dealer sent it back again with just the watch head only, no bracelet....and again they (Rolex Geneva) would not service it unless I bought a bracelet ....Oyster to match the original specs. So they sent the watch back and my dealer had it serviced by someone other than Rolex and they did a great job. Watch has been running dead on perfect no problem....probably the most accurate Rolex in the house here (have a few of them).
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 08:58 PM   #14
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
Rolex has an interest to ensure the goodwill of its brand and authenticity of watches in circulation that come in for servicing. Requiring the case head and the bracelet to come in together or selling you a new bracelet might also serve to police against counterfeiting or theft. Selling you a new bracelet is incidental to a larger policy.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 09:55 PM   #15
doyall
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex sure does have a funny way of fostering goodwill with honest customers.
doyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 10:18 PM   #16
chriskris
"TRF" Member

brought my 16700 head only to HK RSC a few years ago, they refused to sell the new bracelet to me unless I had the old bracelet with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
First I've heard of this, and I've had RSC service watches without bracelets before (in Hong Kong). Maybe they'd accept a few hi-res bracelet pics including a copy of that day's newspaper, like it was a kidnapped hostage, as proof of ownership.
chriskris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 05:11 AM   #17
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyall View Post
Rolex sure does have a funny way of fostering goodwill with honest customers.
Exactly! Makes me think twice about wanting to buy another Rolex. No soup for you, next.....
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 05:26 AM   #18
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
They have completely lost it and have no clue about customer satisfaction.
Full of petty managers
Old 30 March 2023, 05:30 AM   #19
Grapenut
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT(s) & Sub
I had the same experience using the Dallas RSC in fall 2021, and it wasn't limited to modern watches.

I was getting a 1675 serviced and only intended to send the watch in. AD stated the RSC policy of 'include bracelet or buy a new one' so I sent only the watch. Allowed me to get a new oyster bracelet to accompany the jubilee.
Grapenut is offline   Reply With Quote