The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2023, 06:35 PM   #91
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
Looks like it’s a modern interpretation of a tool watch. Love the subdued look to the metal, dial and bezel. Would be phenomenal if Rolex also made the submariner in titanium and it looked like this.

Price is expensive though.
It is a very beautiful watch but I'd rather have a Pelagos. 500m WR, HEV, adjustable clasp, luminous bezel, all that for a third of the price. Can live without "ROLEX" on the dial (ymmv)...
Old 29 March 2023, 06:41 PM   #92
cari66ean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
It will tank below MSRP on the secondary market in no time. My feeling is no one's gonna buy this at $14k (I'm generalizing of course, there are always exceptions but you get the gist).

Being a fan of the YM in general, I've already expressed my mixed feelings about this piece in another thread. Basically, this Ti YM totally goes against the idea of what the YM has always represented in the lineup: the luxurious Sub. Now, no precious metals, no polished case, no PCLs. It now is less luxurious than the Sub itself! Completely opposite direction. It goes to confirm how Rolex sees the Yacht-Master: a test bench for new ideas, to see what sticks.
If they release a titanium Sub or SD43 it's quite possible, it will "tank below MSRP". If not then this will continue to sell like hot cakes even after the initial hype. And nobody other than the current customers of the YM lineup, who went for it just because of the added bling and thinking "eww titanium feels so cheap because it's not shiny and light" will care about the missing PCLs, etc.
cari66ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 08:01 PM   #93
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It will tank below MSRP on the secondary market in no time. My feeling is no one's gonna buy this at $14k (I'm generalizing of course, there are always exceptions but you get the gist).

Being a fan of the YM in general, I've already expressed my mixed feelings about this piece in another thread. Basically, this Ti YM totally goes against the idea of what the YM has always represented in the lineup: the luxurious Sub. Now, no precious metals, no polished case, no PCLs. It's become less luxurious than the Sub itself. Completely opposite direction. It goes to confirm how Rolex sees the Yacht-Master: a test bench for new ideas, to see what sticks.
Yes, I said on another thread that while I really like the look of this titanium YM as a watch, I'm not sure about it as a YM. As you rightly said the YM has always been about luxury - luxurious finishing to a graceful case, and fairly opulent dials. It's image is (rightly or wrongly) one of deck-shoes and drinks down the yacht club.

This latest version is more hardcore than the Sub range, which just strikes me as strange. Perhaps Rolex are attempting to get away from the image I described earlier and promote one more of racing yachts. If so, I can see that working, but it's literally the polar end of the spectrum as far as target demographic goes. Then again, the YM has never been the most popular model, so perhaps this is Rolex's way of shaking things up.

That said I don't still this one being a dog that ends up being discounted. After all, it's a fine looking piece in its own right, plus it has the word "Rolex" on the dial, and that's the equivalent of a licence to print money these days.
Old 29 March 2023, 08:18 PM   #94
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
while i think it looks nice it kinda defeats the whole purpose of a YM, which was supposed to be a more dressy/luxurious version of a sub with slimmer proportions. why not just make a titanium sub at that point? now they made it more casual than a sub and i highly doubt anyone who gets a steel YM pays that much over a sub while really wanting a sub instead
I believe the YM is to push the limits and try new designs that Rolex would not do to the classic Sub. Daytona and Sub are clearly going to stay classic in design and the YM line is where they can push boundaries and try new things.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 08:45 PM   #95
cari66ean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
I believe the YM is to push the limits and try new designs that Rolex would not do to the classic Sub. Daytona and Sub are clearly going to stay classic in design and the YM line is where they can push boundaries and try new things.
I think the Sub would take titanium very gracefully. It fits perfectly into its DNA - arguably better than PM and it wouldn't be much of a departure from it looking like a "classic Sub".

BUT I don't see a titanium Sub coming now with this YM being quite similar, unless they either put one on Oyster Flex or discontinue this YM again in the next years. Having an OF option for the Sub would be cool, but it being the only option would really put it out of "classic Sub" region. Completely replacing this "new" titanium bracelet on the YM with an OF also makes little sense, which is why I believe them discontinuing it again in the next few years and putting out a titanium Sub is the more likely scenario.

It's a bit sad really. I love this new YM but at the same time I think I'd prefer it in 40mm, I kinda dislike that it's a YM in the first place, would prefer no date and probably a diver's bezel. So yeah essentially a titanium no-date Sub.
cari66ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 08:56 PM   #96
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by koronet-kid View Post
My son wears a Pelagos the bracelet picks up marks and scuffs very easily he works in an office at a desk his watch looks like it belongs to a miner

Yes but then they oxidize and are barely visible.
Super easy to refinish titanium scratches with a scotchbrite.
No where near as challenging or dangerous as using cape cod cloths on SS.
Disclaimer: I have a P39

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 10:24 PM   #97
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by cari66ean View Post
If they release a titanium Sub or SD43 it's quite possible, it will "tank below MSRP". If not then this will continue to sell like hot cakes even after the initial hype. And nobody other than the current customers of the YM lineup, who went for it just because of the added bling and thinking "eww titanium feels so cheap because it's not shiny and light" will care about the missing PCLs, etc.
Oh this will go below MSRP by the summer. There's nothing to justify the price point other than 'Rolex' on the dial/crown. So much competition:
- SD43: Way more watch for the same money
- Sub: The watch this YM wants to be
- Pelagos: Better specs, similar appearance, a third of the cost, readily available
- Exp2: Same size, also has GMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Busey View Post
Yes but then they oxidize and are barely visible.
Super easy to refinish titanium scratches with a scotchbrite.
No where near as challenging or dangerous as using cape cod cloths on SS.
Disclaimer: I have a P39

Yes oxidation is a thing. Anyone accustomed to SS is going to be shocked.

As someone pointed out this should be regarded as "just a watch" instead of a YM. Rolex has killed off the YM design DNA almost entirely here. At <$10k it would make a very compelling tool watch - with current placement it's reaching for something it's not. The Market will decide!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 11:00 PM   #98
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cari66ean View Post
Do you really see a demographic for this watch? Now it looks like a Sub, although 40% more expensive and without the iconic status. With other YMs, at least you had strong differentiating elements to justify going for a YM rather than a Sub. Now I find it harder to make a case for the YM. You'd have to really love Ti to pick this piece.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 11:34 PM   #99
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Thumbing through this thread, after commenting on it yesterday, my belief that any other metal besides steel is going to get roasted to bits on TRF has been confirmed.

I know this, though. I remember a similar reception to the introduction of the Pelagos, but I went ahead and took the plunge (even without TRF approval lol) about 8-ish years ago...and my love affair with that watch is still going strong. Yes, titanium is a darker, grayer metal than steel and I wouldn't want my entire collection it it, but damn, it's a nice watch that fits into my active lifestyle like it was made for it. And, here's a fun fact. Even though I submit it to much harsher conditions than say a steel/PM piece, it looks just as good after all those years.

Don't get me wrong. I've got no plans to buy the new YM, nor am I champion of the YM in general. It just looks like a darn nice watch, and I agree with the OP: if it had a glide lock it would be a total home run.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 11:37 PM   #100
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Oh this will go below MSRP by the summer. There's nothing to justify the price point other than 'Rolex' on the dial/crown. So much competition:
- SD43: Way more watch for the same money
- Sub: The watch this YM wants to be
- Pelagos: Better specs, similar appearance, a third of the cost, readily available
- Exp2: Same size, also has GMT
I’ll take that bet. The watch looks cool. And it’s much less blingy than the current sub. Most people who are buying luxury watches are not doing spec by spec value analyses. They are looking at how it looks and the brand name.
The only people that are cross shopping this watch and a Pelagos are watch nerds. And those make up a tiny percentage of watch sales. The SD43 is bigger and likely twice as heavy for a bunch of spec that 99.999 percent of people do not need.
I do think this will cannabilize the Exp 2 to some degree, for people who want a less blingy or stealthy sports Rolex. Most people do not care about the GMT function. The matte ceramic bezel will appeal to a lot of folks.

The reason the sub became so popular isn’t because of its diving prowess. It’s because it was a Rolex that wasn’t showing off wealth like a gold DD or DJ. That’s appealing to a ton of people. As the Sub gets more like jewelry, this YM becomes more appealing.
Add that to the fact that I don’t think they are going to make a ton of these, and I think there is zero chance they drop below retail in the next year.

This watch probably doesn’t make sense to a lot of watch enthusiasts. But Rolex’s target isn’t watch enthusiasts.

But I fully admit, I could be wrong.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 11:40 PM   #101
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do you really see a demographic for this watch? Now it looks like a Sub, although 40% more expensive and without the iconic status. With other YMs, at least you had strong differentiating elements to justify going for a YM rather than a Sub. Now I find it harder to make a case for the YM. You'd have to really love Ti to pick this piece.
For that reason it will be somewhat unpopular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Thumbing through this thread, after commenting on it yesterday, my belief that any other metal besides steel is going to get roasted to bits on TRF has been confirmed.

I know this, though. I remember a similar reception to the introduction of the Pelagos, but I went ahead and took the plunge (even without TRF approval lol) about 8-ish years ago...and my love affair with that watch is still going strong. Yes, titanium is a darker, grayer metal than steel and I wouldn't want my entire collection it it, but damn, it's a nice watch that fits into my active lifestyle like it was made for it. And, here's a fun fact. Even though I submit it to much harsher conditions than say a steel/PM piece, it looks just as good after all those years.

Don't get me wrong. I've got no plans to buy the new YM, nor am I champion of the YM in general. It just looks like a darn nice watch, and I agree with the OP: if it had a glide lock it would be a total home run.
All that is true - Pelagos is a great active lifestyle watch. It's functional.

However I'd prefer it in SS
Old 30 March 2023, 12:11 AM   #102
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
For that reason it will be somewhat unpopular.

All that is true - Pelagos is a great active lifestyle watch. It's functional.

However I'd prefer it in SS
I love titanium on my bike and watch!!!

I like the Pelagos but it’s height makes it uncomfortable on my 6.75 wrist.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 12:39 AM   #103
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Here’s the HODINKEE review:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ro...t-freaking-out

Old 30 March 2023, 12:45 AM   #104
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Pretty much Larry, until the raft of incomings exalting it’s virtues
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 12:57 AM   #105
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Here’s the HODINKEE review:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ro...t-freaking-out

100grams - very light.

How did they do it when Pelagos is ~140g?
Old 30 March 2023, 12:58 AM   #106
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
100grams - very light.

By shaving 40% of the mass

Old 30 March 2023, 01:25 AM   #107
Cassidyanne
Banned

A watch no one asked for
Cassidyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 01:43 AM   #108
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
100grams - very light.

Doesn't the Pelagos have a steel caseback? I thought I read that on here, somewhere. Could be some of the mass?
Old 30 March 2023, 02:30 AM   #109
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidyanne View Post
A watch no one asked for
If Rolex listened to all their customers and gave them exactly what they wanted, they would be Omega with way too many watches in the catalog.

Rolex is the undisputed "King" for a reason. Its just a matter of what model in the kingdom that speaks to us the most is what matters. I think this TiYM42 is speaking to my technical/nerdy watch side of my brain. Its unusual and I like unusual watches that have a clever practical side. Its one of the reasons why I adore my Panerai Carbotech model. It is in another league of lightness and durability compared to a metal watch material but still has unbelievable attention to detail in its construction.

I believe this watch will reinvent what the Yachmaster line can be in the future and give it a huge sales boost.
Old 30 March 2023, 03:00 AM   #110
LFFL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbertha View Post

Who makes that strap?
LFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 06:32 AM   #111
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
By shaving 40% of the mass

And charging 40% more than the Sub for the privilege . But I'm starting to like it.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 06:45 AM   #112
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Looks incredible in real pictures.

I'm a fan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 9.11.44 pm copy.jpg (154.3 KB, 236 views)

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 12:02 PM   #113
anodyne13
"TRF" Member

It looks great. Only issue is price over the sub I suppose, but part of the point of YM for some is showing you paid more than a sub.
anodyne13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 12:08 PM   #114
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
It’s lighter and comfortable and negligible on the wrist but then that can be the cause of scratches.

I prefer it on bulky dive watches

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 12:44 PM   #115
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Looks incredible in real pictures.

I'm a fan
Wow I need this, badly.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 02:07 PM   #116
Mountain
"TRF" Member

It does look a great watch, but it’s just too big for my taste. Shame.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 02:11 PM   #117
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

I really hope my AD come through for me. This could be my daily.

Old 30 March 2023, 02:13 PM   #118
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Nobody should want this watch. It’s a total dog, no one should buy it.

Old 30 March 2023, 09:15 PM   #119
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
100grams - very light.

Pelagos clasp is stainless steel, not titanium.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 09:24 PM   #120
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Bottom line, it’s cool!