The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 March 2023, 01:49 AM   #1
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
AP has “ruined” Rolex for me

Title says it pretty straightforward. I started with Rolex but in the past 1.5 years, 3 out of my last 4 purchases have been AP.
Top 3 have completely “ruined” the bottom 3 for me to the extent that I don’t feel like even pulling them out of the watch roll. I already sold my RG Olive DD, and I am now contemplating to sell the last 3 Rolexes.

Has anyone, especially more experienced collectors, been in a similar situation?
I feel I might regret it down the line.

I hope this doesn’t come across as snobby.
I am genuinely looking for opinions / advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 01:53 AM   #2
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

This is a very common sentiment. AP is just a cut above IMO (although it’s all personal preference). I’d say the only knock is the wear and tear on a royal oak as a daily. But that’s what offshores are for.

All I knew was that as soon as the first AP touched my wrist, it was something special compared to rolex
Old 18 March 2023, 01:56 AM   #3
Palex
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=AEV;12667884]Title says it pretty straightforward. I started with Rolex but in the past 1.5 years, 3 out of my last 4 purchases have been AP.
Top 3 have completely “ruined” the bottom 3 for me to the extent that I don’t feel like even pulling them out of the watch roll. I already sold my RG Olive DD, and I am now contemplating to sell the last 3 Rolexes.

Has anyone, especially more experienced collectors, been in a similar situation?

Funny that you mention it. I am in exactly the same situation. Last two years have bought 5 Audemars Piguet. Also some Rolex watches. I already had some Rplex watches.

Last month sold most of the Rolex. I just enjoy AP so much more. In the way they look and are made.

Another reason for me is that the past years, Rolex has gotten a certain "image" in my opinion.

So I can relate to your thoughts!
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 02:01 AM   #4
Reign
"TRF" Member

Totally normal. I bought one Batman, wanted more Rolex. Bought one AP, got a few more handfuls of APs.

Still only have one Rolex.

The way the light hits an AP, it’s just different to Rolex. It’s like going from a fine wine to a flat soda

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 02:11 AM   #5
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
I’d say the only knock is the wear and tear on a royal oak as a daily. But that’s what offshores are for.
Ugh, I wish. I tried to daily an Offshore. Didn't work out. Went back to Rolex.
Old 18 March 2023, 02:24 AM   #6
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
Ugh, I wish. I tried to daily an Offshore. Didn't work out. Went back to Rolex.
Sizing? That’s the biggest issues with offshores imo
Old 18 March 2023, 02:44 AM   #7
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Not just AP but once you discover all the other wonderful watch brands out there Rolex just doesn’t feel that special anymore. I think Rolex for a lot of people is the entry point into the world of luxury watches and there’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s hard to really compare their watches to the higher end stuff IMO.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 02:46 AM   #8
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

AP is good. But I dont think I will just wear AP at all times. I feel there's always a place for diversity and Rolex is always a tougher watch for me. Polishing aside, I feel Rolex's steel is actually higher quality than AP.
EdwardC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 02:47 AM   #9
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i think there's room in a collection for both but they're definitely in different tiers. i like to think the RO is on the same level as a DD
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 02:50 AM   #10
D_Rolex
"TRF" Member

AP has “ruined” Rolex for me

I can certainly relate. After getting my 15510 50th I just want to further expand my AP collection.

Really in the hands of my SA… and somewhat my wife… lol.

D_Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 03:10 AM   #11
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
Title says it pretty straightforward. I started with Rolex but in the past 1.5 years, 3 out of my last 4 purchases have been AP.

Your top 3 is way more interesting than your bottom 3. It’s just a fact. The way you feel isn’t surprising at all.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 03:16 AM   #12
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

I would sell two of the Rolex's...keep the pepsi or the green one.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 03:18 AM   #13
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

You are not alone. I've sold many Rolexes along the way in lieu of more AP (fwiw I sold my blue SkyD and Hulk, but kept the Pepsi on Jubilee which serves as my beater).
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 03:19 AM   #14
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I know the feeling, but I wouldn't just sell the Rolex collection as you have a nice trio there. I go through phases where I wear mostly AP's and then back to Rolex for a while. AP's are definitely on another level, but there are many times I want to wear something I don't have to worry so much about sratching and that's where Rolex comes into play. I think both are necessary in a collection.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 03:21 AM   #15
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Just wait until a new interloper ruins AP for you...
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 03:38 AM   #16
DonLee
"TRF" Member

I have 1 Rolex, and it's probably my favorite. That 1 is enough.

TBF, Rolex watches are very practical, comfortable and sturdy workhorses.

However, they are not art pieces. If I'm going to spend a lot of money on a watch, it needs to have an art element and being special, and not a mass produced watch by machines.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 04:02 AM   #17
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Sizing? That’s the biggest issues with offshores imo
To put it simply, yes. Size and comfort. It was the most uncomfortable watch I've ever owned.
Old 18 March 2023, 04:06 AM   #18
bullies
"TRF" Member

I know the feeling. Added 2 AP's in 2020. But, after a little bit I realized that Rolex fits my lifestyle pretty well right now. I have three kids under 5 and I'm constantly on the move, tossing them around, swimming, sticking my hands in car seats, etc etc
I keep thinking I need to add a PP on leather, but it's just not my lifestyle at the moment.

With that said, personally, I'd keep the Rolex pieces, but depends on your lifestyle
AP 15400
bullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 04:42 AM   #19
APhound
"TRF" Member

I think it’s the stainless sports models that are ruined. After going AP I have come back to Rolex but only interested in precious metal models now. No more interest in basically the watches you posted, which I thought were so cool before getting into AP. If those three were Pepsi meteorite, rg sky dweller and gold sub for example it might be different. But that’s me- you said you sold your rg dd so I dunno

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 05:27 AM   #20
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Everyone has differing tastes and that’s ok.
Personally, I’m not into AP, they just don’t appeal to me. My collection consists of Patek Philippe, Rolex and Omega.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 05:33 AM   #21
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Common sentiment. I usually daily an AP PQ these days. I will say whenever I put on a Pepsi though, I think wow, what an amazing watch. No love lost there for me. But I had a watch problem…so I am biased.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 05:33 AM   #22
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullies View Post
I know the feeling. Added 2 AP's in 2020. But, after a little bit I realized that Rolex fits my lifestyle pretty well right now. I have three kids under 5 and I'm constantly on the move, tossing them around, swimming, sticking my hands in car seats, etc etc
I keep thinking I need to add a PP on leather, but it's just not my lifestyle at the moment.

With that said, personally, I'd keep the Rolex pieces, but depends on your lifestyle
I heat you! Car seats and AP RO don’t play well together!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 05:49 AM   #23
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

I started with Omega, then Rolex and now AP. My first AP was a 43mm ROO and while it was amazing it didn’t sing to me as much as my DSSD no matter how much I tried to make it.
I then bought a ROC and a RO and now those two get all my wrist time; I sold my Yachtmaster and ROO but could not part with my DSSD - it’s still truly the watch I want when I go to the beach or do anything where I know my wrist could get banged around.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 06:31 AM   #24
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbees319 View Post
I think it’s the stainless sports models that are ruined. After going AP I have come back to Rolex but only interested in precious metal models now. No more interest in basically the watches you posted, which I thought were so cool before getting into AP. If those three were Pepsi meteorite, rg sky dweller and gold sub for example it might be different. But that’s me- you said you sold your rg dd so I dunno

Completely agree. I daily a WG Sub, now, and couldn't be happier.
Old 18 March 2023, 06:53 AM   #25
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
My advice would be to keep at least one of the Rolexes unless financially it makes sense to sell them (perhaps to fund another watch). After working my way up to AP and PP, I have found that there are still times when a Datejust or even G-Shock is more appropriate. But I know how you are feeling because most of the time, I want an AP or PP on my wrist.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 07:08 AM   #26
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I think there’s definitely a place for 1 Rolex in a collection dominated by AP. In reality though I can’t be bothered with the a**hole pompous attitude of the staff in Rolex stores. The idea of having to buy 1 sh*t watch for every professional model is just ridiculous.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 11:25 AM   #27
S1mplee
"TRF" Member

Keep the Pepsi, you can beat it up and use the function when traveling.
S1mplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 11:29 AM   #28
Armis
"TRF" Member

I’d expect you would regret it later if you offloaded your Rolex collection. Rolex has a rich and impressive history in its own right with a series of solid, reliable watches like no other. And I’m saying this as someone with a strong AP affinity. Still, I appreciate the Daytona and Submariner, as well as sincere respect for the origins of the Explorer and GMT master.
AP, PP, etc. have their places in a strong collection, but if like me (and many others) a Rolex was your first horological aspiration which carried special meaning when you were first able to afford and acquire one, then nothing else replaces the significance of that crown. Admittedly, Rolex may not have that sentimental value to you, in which case I understand your feelings about AP. Follow your heart.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 11:52 AM   #29
R35GTR
"TRF" Member

100% agree with you. After owning my 38mm ROC for a week now (brand new from AD), I have absolutely zero desire to wear my BLRO anymore, which I bought from an AD last year. It’s a shame too because that was my dream watch for years before the AP. It’s a different level that you can’t describe but when you see them side by side you know.

I still love my PM Daytona, which is special in its own way and different than the AP.

I think I’m gonna keep my Pepsi for a little while and if in a year I don’t wear it anymore, I’ll look to offload it.
R35GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 12:09 PM   #30
Vipes
"TRF" Member

You may still be in the honeymoon phase with AP. Keep the Rolexes.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote