The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2023, 01:52 AM   #61
clubrcr
Banned

I asked my AD for one of these.

First, all of you that feel it is too big would change their mind after wearing it for a while. I felt the same way years ago when I went from a 36 Day Date to a Daytona. I thought the Daytona was to big and didn't buy one for a while. Now, the Day Date 36 looks too small. You get used to it.

Next, I have the Sub. So does everyone else. I think this is a great alternative to be different without the bling.

Finally, I think the weight is going to make a bigger watch wear like a smaller watch.
clubrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:02 AM   #62
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Here's how I know this model is going to tank: The other 42mm YM models have also tanked!

YM42 WG and YG are at MSRP via grey
https://watchcharts.com/watch_model/...26659/overview

There's no way the existing YM customers will want that watch in Titanium - it goes against all the reasons to buy that watch in the first place!

If a Rolex watch is already sitting at MSRP in today's hype market then it would be selling at a discount at the AD in normal times. Even today those watches are "relationship builders", they're not an essential part of every collection. Datejust, Sub, GMT, Daytona - these bread & butter models will continue to dominate. Even the regular YM40 & YM37 are an easier sell, that's actually a very different watch from the rest and clearly has a purpose.

What was Rolex to do? Price is like the Sub at 10k? People would pick the sub for sure. Price it like a PM? Some may be fooled into paying that price but the novelty will wear off quickly. They could have at least polished the case but no - the whole damn thing is brushed.

"I'll get it refinished to restore the original luster!" There's nothing to refinish. It's matte.
I'll be circling it like a vulture if that's the case- The current price is a bit over the top, but I think it looks superb and I would never, ever have considered buying a "regular" YM for all those "dressy Sub" reasons.
Throw it on a Nato and I'd be very happy.

The current YM line up has it's fans, this is simply an option for those that dislike bling.
Would a TI Sub have made more sense ? Probably, but the outrage would have broken the Webs...
Old 29 March 2023, 02:17 AM   #63
cari66ean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here's how I know this model is going to tank: The other 42mm YM models have also tanked!

There's no way the existing YM customers will want that watch in Titanium - it goes against all the reasons to buy that watch in the first place!
Says who? What about non-YM-customers wanting a more subdued tool watch?

Quote:
If a Rolex watch is already sitting at MSRP in today's hype market then it would be selling at a discount at the AD in normal times. Even today those watches are "relationship builders", they're not an essential part of every collection. Datejust, Sub, GMT, Daytona - these bread & butter models will continue to dominate. Even the regular YM40 & YM37 are an easier sell, that's actually a very different watch from the rest and clearly has a purpose.
What are you trying to say? Almost all YMs be it 42 or 40mm sell at around MSRP in current market conditions, even the PM OF models in 40mm as opposed to just the 42mm you listed.

Quote:

What was Rolex to do? Price is like the Sub at 10k? People would pick the sub for sure. Price it like a PM? Some may be fooled into paying that price but the novelty will wear off quickly. They could have at least polished the case but no - the whole damn thing is brushed.

"I'll get it refinished to restore the original luster!" There's nothing to refinish. It's matte.
Again, what are you trying to say? It's more expensive than a Sub because it's a novelty, they needed new tooling for it, etc. Also it's not priced like a PM watch unless you count the platinum bezel on the YM40 as PM watch. Would I have loved it more if it was 10-12k instead of the 13? Yes, but that's how it is.

Also what's wrong with the whole thing being brushed? If you wanted the same thing as a Rolesium YM40 or a WG YM42, you could go with that one. This one is clearly different, as it probably is supposed to be.
cari66ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:22 AM   #64
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
I think if this was in 40mm and roughly $5k cheaper we would be in business on this one. Love the overall aesthetic, but the price doesn’t make sense in my head for what it is plus 42 is a bit large for many.

Also the beveled edges and crown guard are roughly where I ding it half the time anyways so I feel like the brushed sides aren’t that much of a benefit. Might as well have left the bevels off. I dunno… maybe it changes when I see it in person one day.
Old 29 March 2023, 02:28 AM   #65
cari66ean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknow View Post
I think if this was in 40mm and roughly $5k cheaper we would be in business on this one. Love the overall aesthetic, but the price doesn’t make sense in my head for what it is plus 42 is a bit large for many.
Kind of agree with the 42 but then again who knows, I wouldn't be surprised if this would pop up as a 40mm at some point as well. $5k cheaper would put it at around Sub no-Date pricing - unrealistic given it (unfortunately) has a date, is a novelty material for Rolex and harder to produce and finish. I think around 2k less would've made the most sense.
Old 29 March 2023, 02:37 AM   #66
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
Is there anyone, who have a clue why Rolex calls this this baby Submariner as a Yachtmaster?
"baby Submariner"? If anything it's an overgrown Submariner, imho. I really like and may end up with one depending on how things work out. I believe the name is because of the bidirecional bezel and raised numerals like on the current PM Yachtmasters.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:45 AM   #67
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Just saw Teddy post this Grand Seiko... also titanium, also rather larger, but it's a watch that pops much more

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqVVw6Or...MDJmNzVkMjY%3D
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:47 AM   #68
RustyW
"TRF" Member

Love the design and materials...but wish they would do a No Date version like the prototype. If they added a no date to the line up, I would get in line for one. Not a fan of the cyclops and love the symmetry of a no date dial.
RustyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:57 AM   #69
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Yachtmaster 42 in full brushed titanium…….Interesting advantages.

I really like this watch. I have a submariner, but I would prefer less shiny surfaces. But I like the six different references better because I think they are higher quality watches (bracelet, clasp, case, AR, PR).
This takes care of most of that. Plus this would be comfortable as a daily wear. It’s also a bit different than the ubiquitous Submariner. You won’t see this on as many wrists. The only thing that would make this more ideal was if they got rid of the date/cyclops.

I want this. I’ve already enquirer with my AD about it. The only problem is I have a rule that I don’t have two of the same movement in my collection. If I do get this, I’ll have to get rid of my 126610LV. It will be a hard decision.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 03:29 AM   #70
dukie748
"TRF" Member

Only way this could have been improved is a no-date version like Ainslie's.

Either way, I'm a buyer - it'll replace my Sub - I love the lack of bling.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 03:44 AM   #71
Spartyfan6262
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It will probably "wear small", kind of like the OG Pelagos. Very similar watch except without the HEV valve.

And one could buy three Pelagii for the price of one YM. Worth it?
This is exactly where I come down on the YM Titanium. It's a great looking watch, made of a great material, built for everyday life. But spec wise, it's eclipsed by every variety of the Pelagos out there, and you can get a Tudor Pelagos 39, a Pelagos 42, and an FXD for roughly a thousand less than the YM. I think that will turn off most buyers except for those that already loved the YM.

However, I think a YM 40 on a rubber strap priced around 10k tips the needle in favor of Rolex and away from Tudor.
Spartyfan6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 03:45 AM   #72
taybo20
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don’t agree, but I hope you’re right. I would daily this YM and if I
Could get it at a discount I’d love it!
taybo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 03:49 AM   #73
JediRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
She’s perfect.
JediRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 03:56 AM   #74
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Not including a guidlock was a huge miss IMO. It’s more than a SD43 with a guidelock, red lettering, real diver WR (agree the YM is good enough but still) HEV. This YM makes the SD43 look like the value of the century.

OK this will be lighter and potentially people who can’t make the SD43 fit comfortably will like it. As a SD43 owner it just isn’t for me. I wanted to like this so much, a white dial, or almost any color than black, would probably make me look past the missing glidelock.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 04:06 AM   #75
Notepad12
"TRF" Member

Just look at those chamfers

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Notepad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 04:07 AM   #76
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

People repeatedly say that you could get [x] Pelagoses (Pelagosi?) for the price of the YM. But the thing is, I find that this YM looks miles better than than either Pelagos. I know it’s subjective, but I imagine I’m not the only one that feels this way.

Looking at value proposition on a luxury watch is never really going to make sense. These purchases are emotional.

So instead of comparing it to some other watch that you may or may not want, determine if this watch is something that you like to wear and if you’d be willing to part with $15K to have it on your wrist. If so, it doesn’t matter if some similar watch you like less is cheaper.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 05:26 AM   #77
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notepad12 View Post
Just look at those chamfers

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I remember when the Pelagos came out, tons of "chamfers" pics back then as well. However these are taken on a brand new, non-oxidized watch with very bright lights. IRL the Titanium ended up being rather dull.

OG Pelagos
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 05:37 AM   #78
AAAAAlex
"TRF" Member

Now that Rolex has released a titanium, and Tudor has a few, do we think RSC will develop the necessities to be able to polish or buff out scratches on titanium when serviced?
AAAAAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 05:52 AM   #79
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Oh, those chamfers... wish it was 40mm, though.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 07:41 AM   #80
jbwm2311
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD 126660
I like the look of this. I really do. It's a handsome watch but... the price?!

I get that Ti is harder to work than steel, but seriously? They seem to manage with Tudor...

It costs, without splitting hairs, the same as a black-dial Deepsea which has:

- A unique case and compression resistant architecture.
- An insane pressure rating that is individually tested using a special hydrostatic chamber developed by Comex for Rolex.
- Cerachrom bezel, fully marked with PVD contrast and a lume pip.
- HEV. (Useless and unnecessary for mostly everyone but it's a 'proper' tool diver so it has it).
- A fliplock wetsuit extension (until the 136660).
- The 'big' glidelock clasp that can expand 20mm without you needing to remove the watch.
- An ability to be worn as a daily that would truly surprise you, given the numbers on paper.
- All of the touches on the dial, hands and indices that make a Rolex that bit 'extra' when you really start to look at or notice them.
- And it even has a grade 5 titanium case back. The original Rolex to feature what's now branded RLX in its construction.

It is truly a work of exquisite excess. It has its roots in the glory days of manned off-shore exploration, as well as Rolex's contribution to it, and was the foundation from which the 2012 Deepsea Challenge was directly developed. It touches Rolex's past, present and it's special projects developments all at once.

And for the same money the other option (in a hypothetical world where they were they available side by side) would be a YM 42 Ti, featuring:

- The same movement.
- A 100m depth rating.
- A less practical bezel if you actually want to see what you're timing.
- More RLX
- Bevels.
- Er. That's it.

It's not the first watch Rolex made using Ti components. It's not even the first watch they've made completely from Ti that you can buy. Its only first is that it's the first watch made entirely from RLX you can reasonably hope to fit under a skinny cuff.

As far as I can see its single biggest bragging right is that you can say to someone: 'see that bevel on your Pelagos, there? Well, if you get your magnifying glass, you'll see mine's sharper'.

As a concept it makes sense to me. It's a really nice looking watch with a lovely warm finish. But at that price it makes absolutely no sense at all.

I just couldn't justify it (and lets face it I own a Rolex so I can justify to myself large sums on emotional purchases). Id' be looking at it every day thinking how is this so much more Rolex than a Submariner, or that much more watch than a Pelagos 39.

I can see the value in the cost of the Deepsea in its development, its construction, its finish, its unashamed ability to put the function to do something no person can do and survive over its form, but still maintain an iconic form, and so I can see why it costs more than a Sub, or even a Sea-Dweller.

I can see the value in a Sky-Dweller and that unique, incredible movement, the GMT's and their true flyer function combined with that Rolex feel, or the precious metal watches with their materials and finish, and the timeless elegance and quality of an Oyster Perpetual Date versus so many other available watches.

But for me, personally, I can't get myself to the same place with the Yachtmaster Ti. Great looking watch but an insane price for offering comparatively little.
jbwm2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 08:09 AM   #81
cari66ean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I remember when the Pelagos came out, tons of "chamfers" pics back then as well. However these are taken on a brand new, non-oxidized watch with very bright lights. IRL the Titanium ended up being rather dull.

OG Pelagos
The difference is that for Tudor they went with Titanium Grade 3 (for whatever reason). Grade 5, while not as pure Titanium such as Grade 3, is much harder, scratch resistant and takes a polish as well.
Old 29 March 2023, 08:26 AM   #82
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
I think it's perfect for that guy.

Old 29 March 2023, 08:36 AM   #83
diracpoint
2024 Pledge Member

Since people are talking about chamfers, finishing etc. on grade 5 RLX Ti, let me add a few such pics from the DSC for reference ...

diracpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 12:26 PM   #84
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by cari66ean View Post
Kind of agree with the 42 but then again who knows, I wouldn't be surprised if this would pop up as a 40mm at some point as well. $5k cheaper would put it at around Sub no-Date pricing - unrealistic given it (unfortunately) has a date, is a novelty material for Rolex and harder to produce and finish. I think around 2k less would've made the most sense.
$5k less honestly is pushing it. I was being a bit dramatic/exaggerating I suppose. Seeing it on the northern end of $14k and in my head being a $10k watch just rounded up. I guess in general Rolex is getting a little extra pricey just for the sake of it lately.

Side note on it all I’m really curious the hue of the metal. My one titanium watch is visibly different where the Rolex adverts thus far seem to hint a steelish hue.
Old 29 March 2023, 12:34 PM   #85
Bigbertha
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 04:31 PM   #86
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartyfan6262 View Post
This is exactly where I come down on the YM Titanium. It's a great looking watch, made of a great material, built for everyday life. But spec wise, it's eclipsed by every variety of the Pelagos out there, and you can get a Tudor Pelagos 39, a Pelagos 42, and an FXD for roughly a thousand less than the YM. I think that will turn off most buyers except for those that already loved the YM.

However, I think a YM 40 on a rubber strap priced around 10k tips the needle in favor of Rolex and away from Tudor.
You can already get that.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 310392259_2280324105459952_6062946568336407960_n.jpg (24.7 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex_YACHTMASTER bk.jpg (65.9 KB, 222 views)
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 04:53 PM   #87
koronet-kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: deep-sea Comex
My son wears a Pelagos the bracelet picks up marks and scuffs very easily he works in an office at a desk his watch looks like it belongs to a miner
koronet-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 05:10 PM   #88
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Looks like it’s a modern interpretation of a tool watch. Love the subdued look to the metal, dial and bezel. Would be phenomenal if Rolex also made the submariner in titanium and it looked like this.

Price is expensive though.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 06:29 PM   #89
cari66ean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koronet-kid View Post
My son wears a Pelagos the bracelet picks up marks and scuffs very easily he works in an office at a desk his watch looks like it belongs to a miner
Again... there are different grades of titanium. Rolex uses the arguably better grade 5 alloy, while Tudor for whatever reason uses the purer but softer and more dull grade 2.

I've lusted after a Pelagos since the day it was announced, but honestly the usage of grade 2 has turned me off so much, that I still don't own one. Tudor is really a love / hate relationship for me. They do cool and very affordable things especially when considering the Black Bay or Pelagos line but it's always like "perfection" is only reserved for Rolex. Be it the female endlinks, usage of grade 2 titanium, tacky riveted bracelet, etc.
Old 29 March 2023, 06:33 PM   #90
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
It will tank below MSRP on the secondary market in no time. My feeling is no one's gonna buy this at $14k (I'm generalizing of course, there are always exceptions but you get the gist).

Being a fan of the YM in general, I've already expressed my mixed feelings about this piece in another thread. Basically, this Ti YM totally goes against the idea of what the YM has always represented in the lineup: the luxurious Sub. Now, no precious metals, no polished case, no PCLs. It's become less luxurious than the Sub itself. Completely opposite direction. It goes to confirm how Rolex sees the Yacht-Master: a test bench for new ideas, to see what sticks.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote