The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 March 2023, 02:31 PM   #1
tictoc1
"TRF" Member

What do you think about the direction Rolex is taking?

For a company that built its success on consistency, functionality and NOT being fashion driven....the last few years have been Bold statements that fashion and jewelry are now a priority at Rolex .

This was evidenced last year by the bold oyster perpetual line and the tutone additions to the explorer, seadweller. This year, they built on this further with datejust modifications , Oyster Bubbles.

They have done a nice job flexing their innovative muscle with the release of Deep Sea Challenge and 1908

They have Kept true to their heritage with subtle but noticeable changes to the daytona and no changes to the Submariner, and GMT

Once thing is for sure, Rolex is paying attention and staying ahead of a rapidly changing watch market.
tictoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 02:50 PM   #2
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Times change. A no date Sub is approaching ten grand. “A man and his Rolex” died a long time ago. This is not a criticism so much as it is a statement of fact. The brand is now something different than what it once was. It is what it is.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 02:54 PM   #3
Dezorra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750 GMT “Pepsi”
Every time Rolex releases new models, I realize that the brand steadily reflects who I am as a person less and less, and at an accelerating rate. I have realized that I love Rolex mainly for what it used to be; it’s legacy, it’s stories, the many marks it has made on history.

But if Rolex was launched today with only the models they offer now, at the price they offer them, I would probably think they were among the most uninspired, gaudy, and unnecessarily overpriced watches on the market, existing only for hype’s sake. I’m not into male jewelry or vulgar displays of wealth for its own sake, so I wouldn’t be the least bit impressed.

And my brand would probably be Tudor.
Old 28 March 2023, 03:07 PM   #4
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
The pendulum is on the gaudy upswing if its arc at the moment and will eventually swing back. For every purist they lose now they’ll pick up two of the bedazzled masses by the time it works its way back towards the apex of stoic understatement. Or maybe not. At least that’s what I keep telling myself as I find less and less to want.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 03:15 AM   #5
Mountain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezorra View Post
Every time Rolex releases new models, I realize that the brand steadily reflects who I am as a person less and less, and at an accelerating rate. I have realized that I love Rolex mainly for what it used to be; it’s legacy, it’s stories, the many marks it has made on history.

But if Rolex was launched today with only the models they offer now, at the price they offer them, I would probably think they were among the most uninspired, gaudy, and unnecessarily overpriced watches on the market, existing only for hype’s sake. I’m not into male jewelry or vulgar displays of wealth for its own sake, so I wouldn’t be the least bit impressed.

This sums up my perspective also. I only have two Rolex watches: one a steel datejust my father bought me 30 years ago and an explorer I bought a couple of years ago. The explorer is the only model in the current line up I have any interest in.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 03:21 AM   #6
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
I think the bubble dial looks cheap and is not a good one for the Rolex brand image.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 03:44 AM   #7
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Nah, it’ll be a limited run. All those quirky dials will become collectors in the future. It’s a temporary thing with Rolex I think. Kinda cool actually!
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 03:48 AM   #8
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: P-serial 116518
I love the direction Rolex is taking.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 03:56 AM   #9
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex has been "lightening up" the last few years with some colorful watches and a few collectible models that are not impressing the aging out crowd. Although there are still Rolexes available for them.

These new examples will all be sold and make a fortune and keep Rolex in the game with a younger crowd. That and the fact that their more entry level offerings from Tudor are also hitting a home run.

Anybody thinking Rolex has lost their mind, has lost their mind. These guys are geniuses. Even when they make a mistake they soon make adjustments.
Old 30 March 2023, 03:59 AM   #10
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
They're going upmarket.

Tudor is the old "tool watch" company now, for better or worse.
(Worse I think because of their many questionable design decisions, such as faux rivets and faux patina, Snowflake hands on everything....)
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:02 AM   #11
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
Rolex is like an all-inclusive buffet; something for everyone!
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:03 AM   #12
ROLEX*
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
When Steve Jobs is alive, iPhone is available in Black and White, yet the product is legendary.
After he is gone, iPhone becomes a legacy and there are so many colour iterations.

Sounds similar?
Old 30 March 2023, 04:04 AM   #13
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post
Rolex is like an all-inclusive buffet; something for everyone!
Only that at this buffet, not everyone can always get a table. I’ve been standing outside hoping for a table for a while now…
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:05 AM   #14
jbwm2311
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezorra View Post

I agree. For me it's very similar to the Land Rover story of late.
jbwm2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:06 AM   #15
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Rolex has been "lightening up" the last few years with some colorful watches and a few collectible models that are not impressing the aging out crowd. Although there are still Rolexes available for them.

These new examples will all be sold and make a fortune and keep Rolex in the game with a younger crowd. That and the fact that their more entry level offerings from Tudor are also hitting a home run.

Anybody thinking Rolex has lost their mind, has lost their mind. These guys are geniuses. Even when they make a mistake they soon make adjustments.
Ding Ding Ding. Anyone who thinks Rolex is going after 50 plus bankers or doctors or lawyers with the sports car in the McMansion driveway and wrist shots with driving gloves... ...are probably 50 plus bankers or doctors or lawyers with the sports car in the McMansion driveway and wrist shots with driving gloves. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but no one stays the apex customer forever. Most of us aren't Rolex priorities, even those among us with lots of money and huge collections that go back 30 years. The top of the marketing game is no longer billboards and magazine spreads and race tracks. This isn't Mad Men lol. Big time marketing in this day and age is getting your product on the wrist of wildly popular 20 something Tik Tok stars. Sorry guys, but whatever bygone era you might long to return just ain't. Brave new world.
Cwillis0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:07 AM   #16
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I think Rolex is still Rolex, Tudor is still Tudor, and Patek Phillipe is still Patek Phillipe.

People read too much into these releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:09 AM   #17
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Fashion ebbs and flows, and Rolex has done fashionable references over the decades. Yes, the direction 'recently' has added some further 'explorations' than the past, yet offering special fashion-forward timepieces is smart. Furthermore, helping Autism and awareness follows past Rolex great efforts globally.

Sure, style and fashion have preferences, and love that Rolex is making positive strides forward.

Of course you can still get 'the classics' if that's your preferred style.

jmho as grew up in a home where both parents are in the schmatta biz.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:09 AM   #18
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

New direction is disappointing but what's new. I'll be opening up my wallet to independent brands for now..
HelloMelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:11 AM   #19
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I think Rolex is still Rolex, Tudor is still Tudor, and Patek Phillipe is still Patek Phillipe.

People read too much into these releases.

Agree. Stella dials in the 70's, quartz in the 80's, leopard Daytona anyone?

On the one hand, you have the iterative changes in the Daytona where most are saying what changed? On the other, you have the fun watches.

Same company, same strategy - just some new add-ins to keep up with the times.

Isn't this what people keep asking for from "boring" Rolex?
Old 30 March 2023, 04:11 AM   #20
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I feel like there's a barbell effect in Rolex's targeted clientele. I'm in my early 40s and an older Millennial, and I don't think watches (Esp luxury watches) are as popular with our generation as they are with Boomers and Gen Z. I have a theory as to why but won't get into it.

So I think this is why you see Rolex still maintaining a lot of their classic watches but also trying to go bolder and crazier to try to attract the younger gen.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:11 AM   #21
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

No changes to GMT? What about the newly released YG and TT on Jubilee with black and gray bezel?

They completely revamped the Daytona with a new 4131 movement, same with the Sky-Dweller with 9002 movement. Two completely new watches, three if you count Challenge Deep, two in titanium!

The slight disappointment for me was the monochromatic downgrade in Daytona dial options.

Love the green SkD!

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:12 AM   #22
Corvette
"TRF" Member

Times change, tastes change. Companies need to adapt or die and I think there is no problem with having some fun with your product lineup. Influencers and celebrities have huge pull with consumers and it’s probably a smart business move to capture that young audience that is starting to have the disposable income to purchase luxury goods.

The bubble dial OP and emoji Day Date will likely be extremely limited in quantity so those that are critical of them will likely never see them in the wild or in a display case. Neither of these watches are my taste and I wouldn’t pay $1 to own either but they’ll sell every single one they make and the grey market will set astronomical prices for each.
Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:12 AM   #23
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

I think Rolex are going upmarket which I think makes sense. I would humbly suggest more people than ever before can afford (and justify to themselves) the purchase of a Rolex watch.

Very few of my friends’ parents could afford a Rolex when they were younger, even though Rolex watches were much cheaper back then. Now, most if not all my friends could afford to purchase a Rolex if they so wish.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:17 AM   #24
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I'll also add that Rolex has zero qualms about leaving what they deem less desirable buyer groups in the rear view mirror. Just think of the guys who decades ago bought their one and only Rolex for their 40th or retirement or whatever. Rolex had no problem scraping them off and theyll have no problem scraping off the old school legacy customers who bought their first Rolex in the 80s. Just not the target demo nor the image Rolex is looking ahead to. Rolex is first and foremost a marketing juggernaut, and most of us just ain't the long term future market. The times are a changin'.
Cwillis0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:23 AM   #25
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
It's the direction YOU take with Rolex.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:26 AM   #26
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I wonder if Rolex's business strategy fundamentally changed roughly 10 years or so ago. This is a company that makes ridiculously reliable but also expensive watches that sometimes can go decades without a service. And most people do seem to just get one and wear it a long time, at least back in the day. If this is your business, you need to constantly get new markets and new customers to survive and expand.

5-10 years ago when BLNRs and Hulks were languishing in store displays, there were lots of pundits predicting the demise of luxury watches because the younger generation just didn't wear them and checked the time on their phones. Insane to think of now, but there was a lot of such talk back then.

I do wonder if Rolex made the decision around then that the smarter strategy was to target collectors. Sell 3 to the same person instead of trying to find 3 new people to sell to. If so, you need to get a bit bolder with the product lineup and offer more dials/bezels. Easy to sell 3 black Subs to first Rolex buyers. For collectors that already have a black Sub, you need a Smurf, Hulk, Starbucks, whatever.

Of course, they were caught flat footed when demand from BOTH newbies and collectors skyrocketed, but I doubt they are complaining.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:27 AM   #27
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
I view Rolex as art at this point.

I genuinely love looking at much of the catalogue, as I think the design language is great. Take the DavidSW banner at the bottom of this thread; the LB sub, platinum Daytona, and meteorite GMT are gorgeous. Incredibly pleasing engineering.

But you wouldn't catch me wearing any of them. $40k-plus on my wrist? Please, that's an absurd example of materialism. Even MSRP on stainless steel watches is a stretch, but at least they're cheaper than most entry-level cars!

The cache the brand carries now just isn't for me. Rolex is in the business to sell an image, and watches are merely the medium for that image to thrive. Rolex buyers today seem much more concerned with the money side of things, rather than the foundation of what built Rolex.

I recently traveled to Dubai. Rolex watches were a dime a dozen. As were luxury hats, shoes, shorts, shirts, etc. For many, the more brands they're wearing, the better. Anything to 'prove' an individual had some discretionary money to spend. That's not the same Rolex brand I remember many years ago. Rolex sells an image, and that image has changed.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:28 AM   #28
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

Somebody must have watched Oisin’s last video…

Rolex was and has ever been a luxury fashion brand, you could get cheaper, tougher watches back in the 60s, 70s. We as human beings love glorifying the nostalgia. James Bond is a fictional character, non of the ambassadors chose Rolex because they have the best watches but because they capitalized on them. PM, stones, gaudy designs were always in the catalog. Just because cool guys wore Rolex back in the day doesn't make Rolex more tool watches back then compared to now, and bear in mind those cool guys are the actors who capitalize on their looks and statuses.

If you want true tool watches, then get g-shock, marathon, seiko, citizen…
liberalclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:43 AM   #29
Turb0wned
"TRF" Member

They are just making something for everyone while also going upmarket.
Old 30 March 2023, 04:53 AM   #30
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

They just keep plugging along and we keep buying them
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote